Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Compassion, eloquence, introspection: Chinese musk and rain, with salty oceanic notes, frankincense, juniper berry, lily of the valley, lavender, cinquefoil, and sweet pea.

In the imp: A classic salty aquatic -- screams soap to me, not perfume.
Fresh on the skin: True to form, but it's rather sweet and delicate rather than pungent or aggressive. Surprisingly nice.
5 minutes later: Yeah, I would just never choose to smell like this for long periods of time. It would be an okay soap, but still a little too much on the astringent side of me to personally love. I don't yet feel the need to wash it off, though, so that's nice. Strong throw.
1 hour later: This has powdered down a bit to a delicate, floral aquatic. Nice enough, but monumentally not me.
1.5 hours later: This has faded to the point of being almost gone. On the plus side, I kind of like the delicate linger.
6 hours later: Fades to a reasonably nice, sweet laundry scent.

Verdict: I don't dislike this, but it's not really for me.

One phrase: Delicate floral aquatic.

I love this...it smells so clean and fresh, a bit of the "aftershave vibe" without smelling soapy or too astringent. There's a hint of clean, white florals, but they're not too sweet or too strong. It's just a very light, lovely smell that's comforting and invigorating without being too heavy. Lovely!

In the bottle, this smells so pretty. It's a soft, salty aquatic, fruitiness that reminds me of bpal's blackberry note, and a smooth, cool lavender.

On me, this goes instantly soapy. It's like I stuffed my head into a box of laundry soap.

I kept waiting and hoping that the other notes would drift back into focus, but laundry soap is all she wrote :(

I have not generally had good luck with BPAL's water scents, but this is gorgeous. It smells blue and clear and clean and rich. Really spectacular. It reminds me a *bit* of Polo, by Ralph Lauren. Not that it smells like Polo, just is reminiscent.

I'm wearing WP today, and it's got pretty good staying power, and doesn't morph much on the skin. It's well blended - I don't really get a sense of any of the notes standing out. :wub:

I'm thrilled. Loves it!!!

Edited by j4r

Someone else compared this to a 'high-end soap', and I totally agree! Not that it's soapy in a bad way; it's just really, really fresh and clean-smelling. It's almost minty, in a way. There is a definite air of teal-blue; brisk, cleansing water sudsed with sea-foam. Like nearly all the Phoenixes, it tended to hug very close to my skin, but was quite strong should I come nodding back for a sniff. I'd say it had about average staying power, say five or six hours.

This is definately aquatic, not quite along the same lines as "Spell of Amorous Love" or "Cthulhu", for that matter LOL but it smells like a beauty product. Quick fade.

I have been increasingly drawn to water scents (despite being a Taurus I have been a 'water baby' all of my life), and took a chance on ordering Water Phoenix before it came down. I have been practically living in my new bottle of Undertow, but today I gave it a break and pulled out this bottle. At first sniff, this is like bottled ocean breeze. It reminds me of standing on the high cliffs in Russian Gulch in Ft Bragg, looking down at the water as the wind sweeps up and carries the scent of fresh plants and saltwater. Perhaps the fragrance isn't exact (there is no rotting seaweed or fishy smell), but it imparts the same kind of fresh, clean feeling. Wet, on the skin, this definitely has some of that high-end soap or aquatic cologne going on, but I think it's even better because it has none of that "manly" musk that most of those products have. Dry, the similarity intensifies, but I am very pleased. In the past, I've been known to steal a spray of cologne like this, only to be turned off by the faint whiffs of eau de sweaty boy in it, and this has absolutely no traces of that.

This is lighter and much more blue than a lot of the aquatics I've tried, and definitely softer and more temperate than say, undertow. It's gorgeous, I love it.

I am suddenly reminded that aquatics and I do NOT get along. This is rain and salt predominantly on my skin. I can just barely smell the sweet pea beneath it and the herbal tang of lavender. This is cool and crisp and everything I don't want in a perfume. This is definitely a softer aquatic than most, but it is aqautic nonetheless.

Smells like zest or lever 2000, clean and soapy, maybe like men's soap?? There is something herbal and woody as the undertone to the clean soap scent. It's not bad but it's not something i would reach for.

Based on the notes this normally wouldn't be a blend I would gravitate towards, but I got a sniff of this at WC and had to procure myself a decant to give it a full skin test.

In the imp this is a musky, salty but muted aquatic. Bpal aquatics usually fail on me, but maybe this can be the exception?

Darn, I don't think it will-it goes SO salty on my skin. Nose crinkling salty. Like a swallow of sea water mixed with musk. From far away it's kind of pretty, but up close it is far too strong.

This faded VERY fast. In fact it almost entirely disappeared and is only noticeable if I shove my nose into my wrist. First it was too strong, now it's all gone!

I can imagine this would be a freakin GORGEOUS aquatic on the right person, but it just doesn't work for me. My quest for my perfect bpal aquatic shall continue!

More ozone on me than aquatic, but not a head-ache inducing ozone. Gentle, fresh, bright and clean, it does indeed remind me of laundry, in the best possible way. Still, not a scent I'll be keeping, since I was looking for aqua, not air. :)

In the bottle – Salty lavender

Wet on me – The main scent is still the lavender with an overcoat of ozone

Dry on me – Faint and slightly salty

Overall – The blend disappears so quickly it was neither here nor there, but I suspect that it wasn’t going to be me any way

Water Phoenix

In the imp: washing powder and cleaning fluid. This isn’t promising.

Wet on skin: soapy notes, but now I smell more pleasant notes of lavender and juniper.

Dry on skin: still soapy, but it’s not too bad. I smell more of the rain and juniper now, with hints of lavender and some gentle floral notes-mainly sweet pea. No frankincense, but I do get a similarity here with the rain and juniper to Visiting the Temple on the Winter Solstice. I think I also smell more of the musk too, a soft white musk. But the oceanic notes do smell soapy/detergent like on me.

After a while: the soapy smell does retreat a little, and the scent becomes a soft ozone and juniper scent. kind of like Old Moon’s juniper with a soft ozone to it. it’s not bad, but it’s not the ozone I like very much (it’s the kind that smells of tumble dried clothes crackling with static) but it’s actually quite gentle, like a distant thunderstorm, not the smell of the storm passing directly overhead. It’s also a little bit misty, vapour-like in feel, a little humid but cool too, reminds me of Faeu Boulanger. I can smell hints of sweet pea and lily, but these flowers aren’t turning bad as usual.

Verdict: this is my least favourite of the 08 phoenixes, which isn’t surprising, considering my poor track record with aquatics and ozone. This does smell strongly of ozone and marine aquatics, and does indeed do the soap and laundry thing on me. but there are some nice, interesting moments in here where I can smell the other notes-the cool clear scent of the juniper, the lavender and soft flowers, hints of mist and drizzly rain and wet evergreens, and clean musk. But overall, it’s too soapy and detergent-y for my tastes.

Emoticon rating: :(

Is it a keeper? it’s better than expected, but still too ozoney for my likings.

If you like this, try: Visiting the Temple at the Winter Solstice, Pool of Tears, Sturgeon Moon, Old Moon, Faeu Boulanger

In the vial: Soapy lavender.

Wet: Lavender and salty ozone.

Dry: Lavender & bitter, salty ozone.

Overall: Not for me. I should just admit to myself that aquatics do not work on me. Darn.

My first (and super casual) review. :blush: I have to really agree w/ Argentwolf a few posts above-- my nose definitely detects a "minty" note, but not like peppermint or spearmint, more an herbal scent that then comes across as minty.

In the vial: Strong, sharp-- ah, the juniper berry, because I get an almost piney scent. I can definitely get a feel for the "salty oceanic notes" and an herbal feel.

Wet*: Subtlest hint of floral peeking out (lily of the valley or cinquefoil? not as sweet as sweet pea). Definitely an aquatic feel.

Drydown*: Slightly powdery, hint of the "wateriness" and still that herbal 'mint' tone.

I've got v stubborn and "stupid" skin that tends to swallow up all fragrances and w/ BPAL, that means that v few blends can ever be discernible after 30 minutes. This one lasted about an hour on my forearm.

*Random aside: so this scent was really making me feel nostalgic. For México. And I couldn't figure out why. Then it hit me! It smells almost exactly like BBW's (Bath & Body Works) discon'd scent line; Cool Citrus Basil! And when I had visited and lived w/ a host family in México, I had slathered myself in that lotion everyday. :P

Light aquatic with a floral backdrop. Smells a bit like hairspray on me, unfortunately. Glad I got to try it, but it's off to the swaps!

This is a very tangy, ozone smell with just a hint of lavender. Like rain at the ocean, very blue and green. I love it!

Water Phoenix

I'm not a fan of aquatics, but I still had to try Water Phoenix. I don't care for the "salty oceanic note;' luckily that fades after 30 minutes or so. The rain note remains and is joined by a touch of lavender and sweet pea. After an hour, this oil is mostly sweet pea with a hint of musk.

I'm a slatherer and there's no throw whatsoever. It's very soft, very light, very CLEAN.

Interesting combination of notes - I love lavender and have been finding that frankincense and sweet pea are also love, so I had to get me a bottle of this.... I agree with all the mentions that this is a clean scent - it's perfect for a spring day. Although I hope the aquatic nature of it doesn't bring out the showers. ;)

6-30-09 - wearing it again - it was raining cats and dogs this morning! :D

Edited by GardenCat

Water Phoenix

Initially, this is loud and weirdly spicy. It calms down into a slightly deodorant-soapy aquatic. And the throw is reduced to almost nothing. I'm usually not a big fan of aquatics or lavender, and I don't think I'd wear this as a daytime perfume oil, but I think this is perfect as a bedtime blend. It makes me feel very calm.

I'm really not loving this, but then again...I rarely like aquatic/ozone blends.

The lavender is very prominent for me, so..this is an aqautic lavender at the moment but I can smell that there are a zillion florals waiting to burst out. It's one of the nicer aquatics I've smelled. It's nice and fresh without being too air freshenery.

After this it's just a very smooth blend of alot of things...i'm finding it hard to pinpoint. I'm so crap with flowers anyway...but this smells of lots of blue and green petals..floating around on water.

Not for me..

:(

In the vial: Strongly aquatic, juniper, lavender.

Wet: Lavender and juniper, mostly; that aquatic note is overwhelmed.

Half an hour: Much more pleasant now. I'd call this a floral with strong herbal background. That aquatic note is out of its depth; mostly I notice the sweet pea and juniper, with lavender and a nice warm base.

Three and a half hours: Gently understated floral with a hint of aquatic, resin, and herb. Much prettier than I expected; usually aquatics ruin a scent for me.

Six and a half hours: Mostly gone, just a bit of lavender/juniper herbiness and a dash of aquatic. Much nicer experience than I anticipated.

in the imp:

the first thing that hits my nose as i open the imp is a distinct aquatic smell. to my nose, it smells more like the ocean than the rain. this is definitely a bluish green scent with a slight

oriental touch. it's like a picture of calmness laced with elegance. i like it, but i'm not sure if i'd wear this as a perfume. i was hoping for a less "dressed up" and more raw watery scent.

wet on skin:

it smells exactly like it did in the imp, with the ozone note blending itself with the whiffs of

chinese musk. there's something sweeter appearing too, probably the juniper lightly introducing itself.

on me dry:

upon first drying:

oh, sod my skin chemistry. i'm starting to lose the aquatic smell and it's all turning musky. there's some lavender in the mix, together with the frankincense. this is sophisticated and nice, but i'll have to let this sit for a while and hope that the sea water smell will return. right now, i'm imagininga beautiful, proud bird soaring above the ocean, her feather emanating a regal, sophisticated fragrance which blends with the waves of a majestic sea.

after an hour:

for a brief moment, i discovered that if i inhaled really hard, i could detect a beautiful rain scent; gentle and sweet, it hides behind the increasingly overpowering frankincense, lying in wait to be discovered in its own private shell. it's like a shy little shower hiding in the background while the raindrops watch the phoenix's dance in awe. i blame my skin chemistry for this; i seem to amp frankincense & patchouli to the extent of them being overpowering.

after 2 hours:

i can't believe that the journey's almost over. maybe my nose has been overly conditioned to the smell, but after sniffing my wrist like a puppy, i'm more or less convinced that the phoenix has gracefully fled into the shadows of the impending dusk. there are still traces of frankincense though,lingering like an afterthought. i much prefer these dying notes to the overpowering, almost pompous ones that i got initially.

upon a further sniffing, i can detect a faint return of the oceanic notes i got at the beginning, almost as if the ocean is regaining its ebb and flow after the departure of the phoenix.

final verdict:

i have to admit that perhaps frankincense isn't really my cup of tea. it's pretty, i'll grant you that, but my skin amps it up in a way that makes it sophisticated in an overbearing way when really, i would so much have preferred a cleaner, purer ocean scent. in short, while the phoenix's flight was beautiful, i think i'm more of a sea gull. maybe i'll try this out as a room scent; otherwise, i'll be passing this on to someone who can appreciate it more than me.

Edited by Xylis

Egads, an aquatic that works? How can this be?!

It must be the frankincense & lavender - two strong, assertive notes that I wear universally well - that makes this so wearable for me. Wet, there is a smack of rather masculine "fresh musk", but that manly edge fades after a while, letting the more delicate florals peek out. There's a sweet, tangy air to the whole thing, vaguely akin to Visiting the Temple's rain note.

Quite nice, all things considered, but I am tempted to put it on DH - I think it'd be fantastic on him... :yum: