Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
scotchgrrl

Democrat

Gift with purchase of the forum-only Election 2008 scents. No description available.

In the imp: sweet, honey-like, a hint of spice

Wet:Something like sasparilla with the honey. Something in the background like SweetTarts crept out on application.

Dry: Still like honey and sasparilla. The sweetness stays during the dry down but looses the SweetTart hints.

This isn't my favorite of the scents. On me it starts to pick up a bit of playdoh on dry down, but it is a interesting in the imp. One for the scent locket for sure.

Honey and something resiny and faintly spicy. In the imp I thought I smelled something greener, but, it is gone now. I don't smell vanilla or beeswax exactly...but something that very, very faintly reminds me of something like that?

Honey and spice (lightly spicy but spicy nonetheless) I do like it....it just makes me sneeze alittle...and it is a little resinous :P or is this just my imagination. I will gladly keep this and use it when I feel like trying a strange scent.

BEESWAX!

Lately I'm nuts about beeswax, and I've been desperate for a nice beeswax blend that was basically all wax. All of my other ones have heavy spices, or incense, or other things that make the scent darker or sweeter.

This is PERFECTLY the scent of plain beeswax. There are other notes, but the main note is WAX! Glorious wax! There's a hint of something sweet -- maybe honey -- and a hint of something faintly green and something spicy. I think it might be cardamom. I don't get much spice per se, definitely nothing near Mead Moon or Hand of Glory, but there's a slight hint. When I first put it on, I felt like it had something slightly floral about it, but once dry, I don't get that sense.

ETA 12/18: Now that the blend has settled a bit, the floral quality is much more pronounced. I was also testing a different imp than the one that came with my order, so who knows, maybe it just smells different.

I still can't pinpoint the floral. It's a smooth, cool floral, but there's also something a little more effervescent. I thought some kind of lily at first, and perhaps there's some in the bouquet, but there's a noticeable sweet-tart-like quality now that makes me think red hibiscus. Ylang-ylang is also a suspect. (I'm certain there's more than one flower.)

Also, once dry, I suspect there is some amber in the mix, but the beeswax note is so similar, perhaps the fragrance bouquets have some ingredients in common.

After several hours, the scent returns to a purely waxy blend with just a hint of florals and spice.

Edited by naeelah

Humhum. It reminds me of...honey and wax, with something under it...maybe ginger? Some kind of resinous aspect, and, on me, just a little of some heavy floral, possibly jasmine or lily. I like it, but I like it wet more than I like it dry. Also, it seems to be a little burn-y on my skin, which is disconcerting, as I haven't run across any oils that felt like this before. I like it, by and large, but it's not one I'm going to immediately leap upon as a new favorite.

I was both excited and apprehensive about the possibility of receiving this imp after seeing Bat's Day attendees mentioning honey in the Election Update thread, as very few honey blends in the BPALiverse work well on me.

In the imp: The honey is the strongest note to my nose.

Freshly applied: yes indeed, it's honey, with a bit of resin (maybe frankincense?) and spice in the background. But... what's this? It's not going stale or funky! It's still actually recognizable as honey! It stays true into the drydown!

Drydown: Wow. This gets really faint on me as it dries, and I have to huff my arm to smell it, but the huffing yields a deliciously sweet honeyed skin scent. If only I could slather this! The honey here actually reminds me just a bit of the "honeyed milk" note in Gladdener of All Hearts, which also works on me.

This is a really nice scent in its own right, and a great memento of this election (plus, the donkey label is adorable!) Definitely a keeper.

In the imp: Honey, vanilla, and something brighter than either, as well as something a bit fruity.

Fresh on the skin: A sort of complex sweetness that has a rather plasticky center. Hmm. Return of the band-aid smell? It's gone quite a bit darker and fuzzier than the imp would imply. Actually, beeswax or honeycomb might make sense. But there's also an additional perfumeyness that I can't quite put my finger on -- a little spicy, maybe a little resiny? Identifying notes is not my strong point, that's for sure.

10 minutes later: Powdery, plasticky honey-sweet with an odd waxy-resin depth.

20 minutes later: Beeswax and a bit of resin. It's not terrible but I'm not sure I'd ever wear it. Like scotchgrrl, I think I prefer it in the imp, though honestly it's probably still not exactly me. Maybe if I ever get a scent locket I'll try it there.

1 hour later: Warm and thick and a little heady, honey and beeswax and still that hint of something else I can't quite place.

2 hours later: I'm getting a little of that honey-chocolate that there are hints of in Kali, and the waxiness has faded a bit. Nice, actually. I like this stage more.

4 hours later: Almost all honey, warm and somehow more dry than sticky.

5 hours later: Fuzzy warm light honey. The beeswax is coming back a little.

Verdict: I don't love it, though I don't hate it either. I might let it sit for awhile before trying it again. The label is adorable, which makes me suspect I'll be reluctant to swap it away.

One word: beeswax.

This is fantastic. It's beeswax, but with drips of clover honey. I can't usually do the Lab's honey note at all, but this is stellar. I'm also a little insane about the beeswax note; I adore it. This is a smooth, wonderful almost skin scent. I can't applaud this enough.

In the vial: This smells a lot like Skuld to me, so I'm guessing honey and ylang ylang. Maybe grape also, definitely sweet and tangy.

Wet: The sharp tanginess subsides, replaced by something waxy. It reminds me of that chewable wax candy I used to get as a child -- something spicy and resinous, but very much edible. Almost like JuicyFruit gum, too. The floral is amping slowly; it's a fleshy white like jasmine, honeysuckle, gardenia, something, I'm not sure what.

Half an hour: There's a flatness in there, I'm not sure what that is. Still floral and honey, maybe some kind of a resin too, or maybe tonka? And still that waxy scent, like maybe a spice oil. Wish I could remember what that old wax flavor was, but all I can get is that it reminded me of spice drops, like maybe anise or fennel.

One hour: Much the same as before, but a powderiness now. That might be a honey note, because some of them turn powdery on me. I'm definitely losing the sense that this one is going to work on me, though.

Two and a half hours: Powdery honey and floral. I've tried a lot of honey florals, and this one is turning out not to work very well on me. I bet it's the honey note; there's at least one that doesn't really work on me. Later it went to something a bit like Hetairae on me, only not as spicy but still with the honey and ylang ylang. I can live with this, but it's not as squarely in my zone as either Skuld or Hetairae.

In the imp, and on first application, this was sweet vanilla with a richer undertone.

Wet, it was vanilla and a sweet scent that seemed familiar, but which I couldn't quite identify.

Dry, a warm vanilla amber.

Dry, 10 minutes later, the amber is going a bit powdery.

Oddly enough, I kept getting wafts of this spicy resin that reminded me a bit of Morocco. ::sniffs the arm:: Nope, still vanilla amber. ::moves arm away:: Spicy! Up close is soft and warm and sweet, while the throw is all hot and sultry spices.

When it first arrived, the thick honey was almost too much. after a couple of days though, things have settled into a very nice blend, and the dry-down is a much softer blend.

I worked very very hard volunteering for Barack Obama from the beginning. So when I found out about these delightful political frimps, I hoped really hard that I'd get Democrat, ESPECIALLY when I heard the word "honey" associated with it.

Well, not only did I get the President I wanted, I got the Democrat imp. (This must be my year.)

And just like Barack, who I knew would be fantastic beyond all fantasticness, this imp makes me quite joyful.

I get honey and some kind of spice on first application, but soon it's just the pure rich honey that made me obsessed with Honey SN. This has nice throw and lasts quite a while, too.

Can I save this for election days as a good luck talisman. YES I CAN!

But I'm not sure I want to.

ETA 1/20/09 - wore it today! It felt perfect and after eight hours, it's still there!

Edited by tarotgirl

straight sniff from imp is sweet honey...

once applied the honey amps up larger than life...i swear this is a honey SN!!!

wish i could get a big bottle of this one!!

i will be cherishing this little imp forever...i bet this is a beauty aged... :P

On me, this is tons of cloying honey with hints of soft, resinous spiciness and something like sweet tarts in the background. It dries down to pretty much just honey. I’m not a fan of honey (it's cloying and oddly metallic/sharp smelling on my skin), and that’s the main player here, so this isn’t really working for me.

Oh. My. Dog. Oh. Long. John. Piano.

Being a Democrat was never so sweet.

This is probably one of the most compelling fragrances I have ever sniffed. I definitely pick up the honey. I could have sworn that I smelled spicy chocolate too while it was wet. It is simply gorgeous.

Yes, it's honey! It really smells like a honey SN to me as well, which is fine because I love a pure, simple honey smell.

And I'm a Dem, too, so I was quite happy to get this frimp. :P

Honey, with a very light spice. Quite nice and soft, very feminine without being cloying like some honey scents are.

This one is a sweet, resinous spice blend... with HONEY.

Oh, if you weren't so aggressive Honey, I would love you more.

The Democrat gets no love from me this time. :P

I tried this today for Inauguration.

bottle: sweetish. I can see where the honey might be coming from.

wet: same.

dry: Oh dear... this must have amber, its going right into latex and baby powder.

Straight off as soon as I find someone who wants it. :(

There's gotta be amber in this, and probably honey and vanilla, because it does exactly what O does on me ... go all sickly, nauseatingly sweet. :ack: And unfortunately it's also got a lot of staying power.

I'm a Libertarian but I'm OK with getting an imp of Democrat with my order! :lol:

On with the review!

Out of the imp: Honey! This smells very similar to Mead Moon.

On my skin: Warm, sticky honey mixed with sandalwood and...musk? Very interesting. The honey completley dominates this blend. As it dries I'm smelling more beeswax coming through, not as strong as Mead Moon...just a faint whisper. There's definitly a hint of incense in here, very similar to the types used in Cathedral. If I had to compare it to something I'd say it's the beautiful love-child of Mead Moon and Cathedral....with a wisp of sandalwood.

Dry: Final dry down is honeyd beeswax with incense. This is gorgeous! :wub2:

Edited by Monster

In the bottle – Mmm sweet. A cross between parma violets and Lush’s Rock Star soap with just a hint of the black currants sharpness

Wet on me – the dryness of the back currant comes through more against the candy sweetness

Dry on me – Soft sweet candied fruits

Overall – Nice, very nice indeed. Possible a tiny bit faint, but on the whole a winner, I think

Democrat

In the imp: honey. Like the Honey SN or Mead Moon, or O.

Wet on skin: a sharp wildflower honey scent. it reminds me of O and Osun.

Dry: this is almost pure honey on me. Or maybe a blend of honey notes. But it’s honey alright. It’s sweet and dripping, but it’s also sharp, a wild honey scent, or a scent of honey straight from the comb. It smells very much like O actually, that same sharp musky honey. I don’t smell much else-maybe hints of herbs like with Mead Moon, or maybe some amber-but it’s all honey, all the time to me.

After a while: the honey is still dominant, but it calms a little. What I’m left with is a really pretty powdery honey-musk with a warm vanilla undertone, maybe some amber. It’s very much like O, but stronger and richer. It also reminds me of that Heroine scent beginning with S (don’t ask me to spell it), but without the honey and strong woods. This is softer and sweeter. I think it’s mainly vanilla and amber and musk, along with honey. I really like it, but it is a little more powdery than expected…I was also hoping for more resins.

Verdict: this is really nice honey, but on me it smells so much like O. though I do think this is a little richer, with more depth, but the honey note is more or less similar to O’s. it’s that sharp yet sticky sweet, golden and honeycomb-y, and musky honey. This, I think, has a bit more musk to it as it goes powdery at drydown, and I’m sure there’s vanilla and amber here too. I don’t get the resins I hoped for (apart from hints of amber) nor do I get incense-the honey overpowers any hint of resin. I was hoping for a resinous/spicy depth to the honey but it dries down to pure honey with a powdery musk undertone. It’s very nice, but I can get something like that from O, which I like but isn’t my favourite honey scent.

Emoticon rating: :D

Is it a keeper? Not really as it smells almost identical to O.

If you like this, try: O, Osun, Mead Moon, Hony Mone, Jezebel