Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Butter Rum Cookie

A boozy addition to the devil's bake sale! Rum-soaked butter cookies, crusted with sugar, soaked in almond and garnished with orange rind.

In the imp: Hrm. Artificial cake, somewhat alcoholic.
Fresh on the skin: Yup, artificial, alcoholic cake, a little spicy.
10 minutes later: The spice from the rum and the freshness of orange seems to be mitigating the Icky Cake effect, though it's still a bit plasticky.
1 hour later: This is actually pretty nice! Spicy-sweet, a little cookie.
2 hours later: Fuzzy soft spice cake, nice.
4 hours later: A little nutty, a very nice light, fuzzy cookie scent.
6.5 hours later: Faint nutty vanilla cookie.
10 hours later: Basically gone, just a tiny bit of vanilla left.

Verdict: Not bad! Perhaps I'll try it again sometime, but I doubt I need a bottle.

One phrase: nutty vanilla cookie.

IN THE IMP: Oh, a VERY strong blast of booze, with a hint of orange and spice. Buttery, boozy, and sweet, this kind of reminds me of Fruitcake in the imp.

WET: A very spicy, boozy brown sugar cookie.

DRY: Spicy, sweet, and boozy. Somehow, it doesn't really remind me of a cookie anymore. It reminds me a bit of Fruitcake, but I definitely prefer Fruitcake.

In the bottle – Molten sugar and a touch of almond

Wet on me – Sugar & almonds and just a hint of rum

Dry on me – Warm and buttery and whilst never actually becoming biscuity it is at least bakery. Oddly with the occasional hit of rubber

Overall – I’m so pleased that this doesn’t turn to ashes on my skin, because I think it is destined to be a favourite

Delicious, scrumptious butter rum cookies, I could almost sink my teeth into them!

This is one of those drool inducing scents that makes you want to eat sugary things. It's a very spicy version of butter rum, there is a very cinnamony sugary note popping out on my skin. The smooth rum base is cool and buttery and fabulous. I LOVE this! It's a very strong scent and has a ton of throw and lasting power. :yum:

i received this decant as a frimp and MAN AM I PLEASED.

its like smelling those delicious cookies at the mall in torturous agony because you cant eat them!

applied i smell yummy with notes of almond and sugar wafting up my nose. i dont smell much rum on my skin but i can attest to the fact that i smell quite literally, like a bakery. A YUMMY YUMMY bakery.

this scent reminds me that i can be edible without having jailbait on 24/7.

overall: going to scour the earth for a bottle

I tried this on at the lab, and it was nice, so I got a decant of it. It was really light on my skin, so I thought i'd give it some time to age. Not so sure if that was a good idea.

The almond and orange are having a hard time deciding if they like me, I keep sniffing, and I get a whiff of soap, but then it smells good, whiff of soap, good. I think this might just be one I have to swap out, cause it's not being happy with me.

This scent is very SPICY on me, and not very cookie-like. Wet, there was a big blast of the rum, and dry, there's a bit of sugar, but it's mostly drowning in cinnamon. I think my cookie fell into a vat of cinnamon :(. I will just have to console myself by baking some real butter rum cookies...>.>

Wet: Sweet and spicy cookie

Drydown: The sweetness sort of dried up a little on the drydown. It's spicy and has a slight bitterness in the background. Could be a combo of the booziness and almond.

Overall: This is so much better than Sugar Cookie 08 (I was so disappointed with it, as I love the 05 version). This was yummy sweet and spicy cookie. :yum:

In the bottle: whoo... Butter Rum Cookie indeed. yowwie...

Wet on my skin: oh my goodness. delicious cinnamon sugar cookie. :yum: not so heavy on the booze, but it's still in there.

Drying: more of the same...

Dry: well... in my hair it could be a dead ringer for Flesh Eating Reindeer but on my skin it's taking on a distinctly pancake syrup-y smell that I'm not liking so well...

On the far drydown the pancake syrup smell was all I could smell. I love the yummy cinnamon sugar cookie part but I'm not liking the pancake syrup...

Butter Rum Cookie

This has been sitting on my desk for months. I've kind of been evil-eyeing it because I swear I tested a bit of it when I first got it and didn't like it. Needing to cull the herd, I figured I'd give it another try and then I could put it up for swap.

WTF?

I *LOVE* Butter Rum Cookie. I don't know what was wrong with me before, but it's so spicy-gingerbready-cookieish. NOM! There is an initial almond/orange blast that I don't especially care for but that's gone within seconds and after that, it's so amazingly good.

Butter Rum Cookie

In the imp: mince pies and Christmas cake (with marzipan) and a shot of booze.

Wet on skin: almond liqueur and nutty festive sweet treats.

Dry: mmm, I love this. It reminds me of mince pies at first, but then seems to go into a really almond-y stage, and then I smell a little bit of spiced orange. It reminds me of Fruitcake and Decadence, but it is a lot drier, less boozy, less rich. It does smell more like a nutty spicy biscuit than a rich cake, a cookie served with strong festive booze-not so much rum, more like a blend of mulled wine, amaretto and sherry, and interestingly there’s a smoky aspect, like wood smoke, to this too.

After a while: this completely changes after about 15 minutes-and it’s not a nice change. Gone are the scents of mince pies and cookies, and now I smell something weird…like a mix of burnt paper, sweet plastic, and strong booze. But overall it smells like burnt cardboard covered in flaming rum and plastic vanilla. it reminds me of the bad reaction I got from Pancake Breakfast. I smell the rum now, but it smells harsh and a little fake on me. however this swings from that disjointed sweet plastic/paper smell to a more pleasant spiced rum, reminiscent of the Tiki bar scents. But then the cloying caramelised plastic smell returns…

Verdict: I’m shocked as to how this turned from smelling so nice to smelling so bad. At first I wondered if this could smell like that mince pie scent I crave for. It smelt a bit like amaretto too, and spicy oranges, and biscuits served with booze by a warm fireplace. So delicious! And then it did a complete 180 on me, and turned to plastic, burnt cardboard, and a strong, screaming alcohol note with cloying caramel. My skin turned this one to epic fail…and I really loved the first stage! it’s a little disappointing because my skin isn’t as tolerant to foodies as it used to be…this one was passed on to a new home.

Emoticon rating: :sad:

Is it a keeper? no.

If you like this, try: Sugar Cookie, Pancake Breakfast, Kill Devil, Te Po

Hmm.. sweet, a little spicy, and definitely rum in the vial.

On me, it's butterscotch and sugar cookies. After the dry down, it's just spicy sugar cookies. I don't get any boozy note..

this is delicious. buttery, a smidge of rum and a sugar cookie with almond and cinnamon. this is the scent that has the almond note i love.

I am the same as Gin above - I tested this a while ago and it so didn't work on me, but today it was lovely!

Initially, yes there is blast of rum, but it calms down quickly into a lovely spicy almond cookie/cake blend that just feels snuggly to me. Will likely save for cooler months. Can't wait to see how this continues to age.

I’ve never had a butter rum cookie. I’ve had regular butter cookies, and there’s some of that incredibly rich, buttery sweetness here, but it’s overpowered by a strong, sharp, and slightly medicinal boozy note. These cookies must pack a serious alcoholic punch! Then there’s the almond, which lingers in the background. I don’t smell the orange zest. A pleasant foody scent for fans of baked goods, which I am, but this isn’t my all-time favorite in that category. The rum a little too strong for my taste.

Damn, I can't believe I have never done a review for this!

Last year BRC was my first two bottle purchase I ever did. My husband gave me one for Christmas and then ordered a backup. I will never regret that as this is one of the smells that I get MAJOR compliments on and that makesme supremely happy when I wear it.

In the bottle: cinnamon butterscotch, I smell a little bit of rum but not much.

Wet: Spicy scotchy yums, I think the comparison to butter rum lifesavers was a good one.

Dry: this never morphs on me, it stays the same as it did when first applied. So fabulous.

This definately evokes childhood Christmas memories for me.

Plus, put it in an oil diffuser and you house will smell like warm cinnamon melted butterscotch for hours. :love!:

I'm afraid I didn't really like this scent--though I think it may have been the aging process. It's just so strong!

When I first applied this scent, it smelled a bit like a butter cookie with a splash of rum. Not so much my thing, as I prefer my cookies to be non-alcoholic, but not bad at all. The longer it stayed on my skin, though, it became almost...syrupy, for lack of a better term. Within about ten minutes, it smelled more like a sickeningly sweet, boozy syrup with a dollop of butter thrown in for good measure. A few minutes after that, the cloves started kicking in and I had to wash it off. This might be what some people are looking for in a scent, but not me. :(

When I first opened the bottle all I thought was sugar and booze. It was such a strong smell! as I applied it on my skin visions of freshly baked cinnamon cookies popped in my brain. After it dried down I could still smell the cookies but it's more like cookie crumbles. My two best friends said I smelled like waffles and syrup. One walked very close to me so she could keep smelling me while the other one said she had the desire to bite me, lol! As for me, I had to go to a vending machine because the scent made me hungy!

Even though I did not expect to smell like syrup, I do admit I quite enjoy the smell (and the attention!).

Hm, again I thought I would love this scent but really it was ho-hum. Boozy and rummy and sugary, it's quite pleasant but I think I may be getting jaded. I have a handful of scents I ADORE and so it really does take something REALLY special to catch my attention nowadays. This one can go.

Almond kills everything for me. Doesnt matter how far down in notes it is, my nose recoils at it. And it seems to be all i can smell when i open the imp. I def get more of the cookie smell upon application, its more sweet, i can smell the sugar and its a little boozy.. But sniffing before application always has me setting this imp aside.

EDIT: I was about to put this in my sales pile, but second thoughts have me keeping it. Theres hope yet!

Edited by Deyja

In the imp - super sweet and warm and round. Cinnamon and butter and om NOM nom nom.

Wet - it starts to smell more sort of...cakey? And I think I can smell the alcohol starting to come out here, though that might just be a sort of generic 'I am perfume' thing. If anything, it's even yummier, and it's staying very true.

Drydown - it stays warm and round and utterly delicious.

After 15/20 mins - butter and cookies and warm cosy spices, like a delicious hug. I can still smell it all around me, without raising my wrist to my nose at all. Utterly delightful. Then I get into bed and it snuggles up with me, thick and comforting.

Next morning, 9+ hours later - It's the first thing I smell when I wake up. It's thinned out a little, lost some of its warmth and depth, but it seems to have stayed very true indeed - and kept a lot of its throw.

I love this. I am in love with this. I can't believe I only have half a decant and no clue where to even start finding Christmas-only LE scents that are three years old. I only have this one because a dear friend very kindly gave it to me two years ago, and while I wore it once or twice at the time I had no real idea about perfume or anything back then and didn't think about it much. Now I'm starting to get into this hobby properly I kind of want to *bathe* in it. It is delicious.

I don't want to shower it off, but I do very much want to get cracking on today's test-and-review...oh, the dilemma! [grin]

2008 -- This is amazing! It smells like I'm baking gingersnap cookies and have a large pile of cookie dough in front of me while I'm sipping on Buttered Rum. I'd have to be drunk to bake because I can't cook! :lol:. It just smells so much like spiced sugar cookie dough and I love it. I never smell any orange but thats ok there is plenty of other foodie gorgeousness to hold me over without it. :yum:

2013 -- This is still the same delicious butter rum scent of 2008 but with a little less of the cookie note. It has lower throw and shorter wear time too. But still super delicious! :wub2:

Edited by vanilla323

In the imp: Buttery and boozy. Hot buttered rum!

On my skin: Sweet, buttery almondyness. There is something in here that reminds me of curry. I think it's the butter and sweet spices. The curry scent goes away as it dries, though. It's very cinnamony on drydown. It's really yummy. I prefer Sugar Cookie for my cookie-scent indulgence, I think... but I may need to deathmatch these. :yum:

Edited to add: In the drydown it reminds me a lot of Spicebush Swallowtail (which is one of my favorites, so that's not a bad thing at all!) It also lasts a really long time. I could still smell it in the morning.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Is this really from 2008? Or do I have a reboot? I don't have the bottle with me, so I will have to check that later.

I did a random bottle grab ths morning and ended up with butter rum cookie. It was in my favourite s, but I have not reviewed it, and I sort of understand why. It is just exactly as it says: a butter rum cookie. Warm, buttery, sweet, with a layer of (non boozy) spiced rum. Normally, I amp spice to unbearable, but this stays reasonable on me. It is not the typical clove cinnamon burning but something closer to masala.

I could believe that this is from 2008 because it has that depth of vanilla that comes with aging, but it just surprises me that this could last so long, because it is just delicious.

Eta: reading other reviews, the citrus/orange to me is not noticeable, just what keeps this from being cloying. Also, I am allergic to almonds but this is not a problem for me, while some blends that list almond as a note are.

Edited by malibusunny