Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
galleywest

A Blade of Grass

Autumn leaves scattered among blades of grass.

There really is no better description than that of the name of this scent.

It literally is the smell of a blade of grass.

Sweet, green, wet and ripe.

Absolutely beautiful. :P Edited by Shollin

Grass. For real. It's got that somehow pleasant, dark planty odor, even. I think the darkness I smell is a perfect recreation of very faint autumn leaves, and I also think I am going to buy a grip of these. :P

I second the opinion that this blend is quite reminiscent of the Gap's "Grass" scent. I was heartbroken when they stopped making that fragrance (which was well before I discovered BPAL).

For those who don't know that scent, on me, this is very grassy with just a hint of added sweetness. It has very good staying power, too. :P

I sniffed Blade of Grass in the bottle at Shelldoo's so I knew this would be fabulous... Greengreengreen, and absolutely perfect. That really lush, soft grass that grows this time of year, when the days are cooler & damper - like wheatgrass, almost - scattered with freshly-fallen leaves. Early autumn, the leaves are just beginning to change but the days are still comfortably warm... there was a blast of wind overnight, and there's a carpet of gold-touched maple leaves covering the lawn. You sprawl on your stomach & inhale their scent, oblivious to the dampness of the ground...

An absolute, 100% winner. :P

Wet this is freshly cut grass! Strong and herbal. It smells just like grass that's been cut by a lawnmower. When first on it smells the same but maybe a little softer. It's uncanny how much this smells like the real thing! After a couple of hours this has softened and warmed up. I can smell the autumn leaves now too. On the drydown this is a lovely blend of newly fallen leaves and grass. This is a really unique blend. It's an interesting mix of the contrast between the freshness of the grass and the decay of the fallen leaves. It's a bit melancholy in feeling. Maybe because it reminds me of those days when summer is ending and autumn is beginning and the way that the sunlight starts to look different. Beautiful job Beth! :P

Green, green grass in liquid form. Just like the old Yankee Candle grass tarts I lived for in college.

No "fallen leaves" smell to my nose, just a freshly-mown field of grass.

Hi Leopard!

I too burned Yankee Candle's 'Green Grass' tarts in college, and longed for their candles in that scent. Smelled like Duke's commons areas, frat boys playing, lying down on a blanket to study organic chemistry but really studying a different 'subject.' If only... *reminisces*

It's pretty much a dead ringer, bright mushy stain-inducing grass. Very unique.

Edited by Lycanthrope

I can hardly smell the leaves, but that's ok with me because I love the scent of grass on its own. This is a perfect representation of the very tail-end of summer, when the weather hasn't quite cooled down yet, but the leaves are starting to change and fall.

Grassy, strikingly so, like a fresh-cut lawn. Unfortunately, it goes a trifle soapy on me. And grass isn't really my favorite scent as it is -- I was hoping it would be leafier.

Pure grassy goodness, straight-out-of-the-mower-bag fresh. Goes a little ozoney on the dry down (rain's a-comin'). I'm having fun layering this with Graveyard Dirt. One micro-drop of GD to a decent slathering of ABoG smells eerily like when I hit a mole hill with the mower! Beltane, here I come! :P

Ditto to Kippy's comment that this was all grass and no leaves. It's lovely, but not at all what I was expecting and -for me- not at all evocative of the season.

Upon application, this is a very strong (and accurate) scent of freshly cut grass. In fact, that makes me think of it as more of a summer scent than fall scent, though there is a hint of leaves in there, too.

Unfortunately, once dry, this turns pure soap/detergent on me. Blech.

The sweet smell of fresh-cut grass and the tang of slightly bitter fallen leaves.

Does what it says on the label. I'm tempted for a bottle for the wishlist; I just don't know that I'd actually wear it all. Very evocative and gentle.

I also get almost all grass and no leaves, but that is fine with me, because I've been looking for a freshly mowed lawn scent for ages.

It even has decent staying power, as I could get a whiff of cut grass from my wrists even at the end of the day in the office, without any reapplications. I'm so glad I bought a bottle of this. :P

Oooh I like this one :P Which is good because i got a bottle unsniffed!

In the bottle:It smells like someone has taken the long grass in my parents yard and put it in a blender!

wet on skin: Still mostly grass but not as sharp as in the bottle, there's a something sweet that I can't place, almost a hay like sweet smell.

Dry: Sweet grass. Still pretty much the same as wet.

I'm glad I got a whole bottle, it's a great reminder of my parents house, or my grandmum's cottage, being in the city, it's a nice reminder. :D

Edited by lioness

I had a really hard time deciding which fall-themed LE I wanted, but I'm very happy with A Blade of Grass so far. It's actually my first 5ml purchase ever.

It's really exactly as advertised, at least on me. A lot of people have said that this is very wet, fresh-cut, ultra-green grass (thus making it too much of a summer scent) but I without a doubt get the wispy, yellowed, tired grass of early fall. It's a cool, almost windswept sort of scent. I don't get the fallen leaves note until a little later, but it's certainly there. It's a little musty, like maybe the leaves have been soaked by a good rain and then dried out again... the sweetness of decay is slightly noticeable, but not in an unpleasant way. Overall, I think this is an incredibly enjoyable scent (natural and stimulating), but it's not a traditionally "pretty" perfume. I would never call it sexy or feminine, but it is very beautiful.

This is not a cliche, fake "Autumn!" smell at all. It's almost freakishly true to the smell of the October outdoors. It's yardwork followed by falling back into a pile of leaves with a good book. I really don't know how BPAL does it. :P

In the bottle: Fresh cut grass.

Wet: Mmm and now it's fresh green grass with a bit of dry leaves behind it. Still, reminds me more of summertime than autumn at the moment. Reminds me a lot of Squirting Cucumber.

Dry: Pretty much the same as wet.

Verdict: It's a very nice scent and thankfully doesn't turn soapy on me. I don't think I'll get a bottle of it though since it's really too close to Squirting Cucumber on me to make much of a difference. But still, a very very nice green scent, crisp and clean and does just what it says on the tin.

4/5

So lovely! This has the "autumn leaves" note from October, without October's inexplicable coconut morph. The grass is definitely the top layer, superbly green and juicy (and just a liiittle soapy) with a hint of clovery sweetness, but once it settles down, you can smell the leaves. This isn't so much fall grass, as it is fresh spring grass with last year's decomposing leaf litter matted down between the blades. (I can't be the only one who just runs the mower over fallen leaves and calls it mulch!) I see a bottle in my future, and much reliance on it during the dark of winter,

Layering this with a tiny drop of Graveyard Dirt adds a whole new dimension of awesome. It's exactly like burying your nose in a lawn on a mild day - sun-warmed grass, moss, bits of dead leaves and thatch, and underneath it all, rich brown dirt full of roots and worms. Incredible.

Very green scent....the harsh bitter greeness of grass (in a good way). I don't get the autumn leaves at all in the bottle or on the skin. As it dries down it's almost floral..like a dandelion that is not bitter...very fresh undertone that comes out and makes it quite wearable. A surprise scent.

Smells like fresh cut grass. I ordered an imp for the novelty of it, cause I love the lab's creativity. But I don't think I want to walk around smelling and sneezing. :P So I will keep this one for now.

I'm kicking myself for choosing another oil over this last night at willcall.

It's definately fresh grass, warm, but not dry. Not wet either. Just a lovely backyard on a sunny day. I used to adore the old grass scent by Victoria's Secret (I'm blanking on the name, but I think it was called Spring) and have been hoping for something like this.

Initially, I love this one. It smells like a combination of freshly mowed grass and walking through crunching fallen leaves.

Sadly, that initial fades into something that's almost rancid, through the miracle of body chemistry. At least I have that brief moment of loveliness. Though that makes it worse when it turns into evil.

In the imp: Sharp, peppery, juicy, just-cut grass, the grassiest grass imaginable.

Wet: Still grass. I am reminded of a game we played in grade school after the custodian mowed the enormous playing field. We would gather huge "nests" of it and see who could get the biggest nest. This is what that smells of: Big piles of just-cut damp grass in the afternoon sun.

Dry: The leaves come out, but it's still very, very grassy. Sir says it smells of our laurel hedge, not grass, and I can see that.

This is unisex and would be an AMAZING layering scent, much in the manner that I see Brom Bones might be used. I may have to get bottles of each just to test that theory.