Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Flowermouth

What BPAL would this fictional character wear?

Anybody here a fan of Welcome to Night Vale? I feel like '51' is great Cecil scent, but not sure about Carlos. Maybe something from Steamworks.

Whoa, nice call on 51, that would be perfect. Carlos is hard. Mostly because I want to have something...jolty/mechanical because science, but also coffee because my headcannon is that he drinks it like water, but also I want to add what a sweet, curious and kind character he is, or was to my last recollection since I'm about 7 episodes behind.

So either Dia De Los Reyes (warm and kind and comfy) or something like Galvanic Goggles would be my guesses, although I'm eager to see what anyone else would think.

I may have developed a minor WTNV obsession since the last time I was hanging around this thread. I HAVE to get my hands on 51. I nearly cried after losing an ebay auction for it yesterday, no lie.

This might be weird, but I thought of Carlos immediately after sniffing Variety of Pleasing Amusements. In my headcanon anyway, he's sweet but with such a subtle undeniable risqué side. The honey is his usual adorable personality, the tobacco is smoke from a science experiment gone wrong, and the leather -- well. On a similar note I'd totally go for Ifrit as a Cecil scent.

Robotic Scarab is my only Steamworks scent, and it's okay for Carlos, but it just lacks the warmth I associate with him. Maybe Lysander, of all things. It's very soft and gently masculine on me, nothing that evokes Carlos in particular, but the quote/description just kills me: the course of true love never did run smooth.

I've been wearing Anubis to RP (fanon character) Desert Bluffs Carlos, though it doesn't work for regular Carlos, for me -- it's too clinical and too invasive all at once, and where Carlos is warm, this guy is just parched and dry. It goes a little delicate and feminine on me, though.

And I NEED a Kevin scent. I love that fool. I want to douse myself in whatever he smells like and never look back. (...Blood Popsicle?)

Edited by Hazy

I've seen the recs for characters from Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2, but what about Inquisition? Anyone played who'd like to take a stab at what each companion (bonus points for the Inquisitor and advisors!) might smell like??

I've seen the recs for characters from Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2, but what about Inquisition? Anyone played who'd like to take a stab at what each companion (bonus points for the Inquisitor and advisors!) might smell like??

Oh jeez. I'll try to avoid obvious examples like "Mage" or "Warrior" depending on the characters' classes. It's getting late and I'd like to put a ton of thought into this, but off the top of my head:

Blackwall:

Playing with Dangerous Toys - Blackwall is my Inquisition OTP! I think this suits him because he's always working on those wooden toys for the kiddos. Like Blackwall, it's tough, woodsy and masculine but with hints of sweetness. And Blackwall does have his dangerous side...

Captain Cully - He has experience leading others and I see this as "cleaned up" Blackwall. It's a bit cold in feeling but ironically playful. The porter gives it a little bit of gruffness. The softer musk and smack of leather hints at his hidden sense of humor.

Dorian:

White Peacock - His last name means "peacock" in Latin so I've seen him depicted with them a lot in fanart. This blend is one of my faves. It's a little haughty and flaunts its sexiness, but also very beautiful with a gentle core.

Dorian - His namesake! And it suits him. Refined, sweet and a little naughty.

The Iron Bull:

skekUng the Garthim-Master - Someone described this as a big burly individual having just come from fighting a dragon. It's a match made in heaven.

The Soldier - Slight reference to the rigidity of Qunari society... but this solider is all about showing his kinky dominant side with a swirl of cream.

Cassandra:

Boadicea - Had to think on this one a bit. I knew I wanted one of the Warrior Queens, but wasn't sure which. Had to settle on this because it has dragon's blood, and the Pentaghast family are famous dragon slayers. It matches her well; rebellious, strong, with a kind heart at the center.

Rose Cross - Cassandra's gentler side, and speaks to her dedication to the late Divine and love for (certain aspects of) the Chantry.

Solas:

Dream - With his love of going into the Fade, this would work well. Plus it's an ethereal, sort of mystical blend.

Tristran - Sort of a "nomadic" vibe since Solas travels a lot, and gives hints of the flora and fauna he'd have brushed by on his journey.

Fenris Wolf - Coughcough. No comment.

Varric:

Crowley - So while Varric is far from being a demon in the literal sense, you could definitely call him a devil. He's got the charm, the swagger. You sense he's just a bit too clever for his own good. And he has more than a passing familiarity with the dirty underside of business.

Protagoras - Our dwarven companion favors a good tale above all else (save for close friends), and I like the interplay of actual "book smell" in this one combined with the waxiness you get from Lights of Men's Lives. It makes me think of him penning a new story about his adventures by candelight, grinning as he delivers a particularly good turn of phrase.

Sera:

Sugar Cookie - They're kind of Sera's thing.

Avenger - I think this one of ideal for her. She avenges the poor and underrepresented like a hyperactive, foul-mouthed Robin Hood. And that spice in her might mean you end up at the wrong side of an arrow if you refuse to see the injustice of it all... because she's survived that life herself.

Cole:

A Measurement of the Soul - So much of Cole's story is about deciding how he'll choose between his human-ness versus his true nature as a spirit. This speaks to the balance between the two while giving him a proper ghostly vibe.

The Gladdener of All Hearts - The boy is Compassion, for goodness' sake! I know his methods are a little suspect at times, but at his heart he's pure innocence, and I think this blend conveys that well.

Vivienne:

Vain Sorceress - Need I say more? (Couldn't resist the obvious answer to this one.)

The Hierophant and The Empress - I specifically chose this one instead of The Empress alone because of how much Vivienne's husband plays into her side story for a time. Seemed fitting, plus she is very rigid in her beliefs when it comes to the Circle.

Maybe I'll get to the advisors and Inquis later! Though the latter would vary a lot between different players. My PC was a female Qunari mage, so if I had to pick for her...

Eastern Comma - This blend makes me think of a glorious, heavy summer day backed by the rich ruggedness of tobacco. My character distanced herself from her people, an outcast from her own society, so there's a sense of weight/burden despite leaving the shackles of her culture behind. She finds renewed purpose as the Inquisitor and friends along the way brighten her story. The citrus also makes me think of jewel tones, similar to the lights beaming from the spells she casts, or the glowing light that comes from the Mark on her hand...

*edit* Here are the advisors.

Leliana:

Belle Epoque - For the cute, dainty side of Leliana that loves frills, dresses, pretty shoes and parties at court. Full of hope, loyalty and beauty.

The Raven - For the hardcore spy, take no prisoners side that wants revenge and will do whatever it takes for the greater good. Whether it's under the guise of allure or whether you don't see her at all, she gets things done. References her dark little messengers. Mata Hari would also be appropriate.

Cullen:

Knight in Shiny Armor - Cullen is about as much of a good boy as it gets. He's chivalrous and kind but has a strong will.

Fettered in the Shackles of the Drug - Cullen's one claim to a "dark side" is that he's gotten addicted to lyrium as a Templar. This is something he has to overcome if he hopes to move on from the past.

Josephine:

The Golden Apple of the Sun - A friendly, warm scent, that's made more exotic by the spices and champaca. I feel like Josie would smell like wonderful imported tea and other delicacies, plus I like that the name can reference the golden fabrics she wears and her family's trouble with their wealth/regaining trade rights.

Ysabel - Fitting for Josephine, as she is both a strategist and wise diplomat. Ysabel similarly had a great, tactical mind and was a large proponent of learning and education. Kind of fitting that she's Spanish as well, since Josie is Rivaini and they seem closest to Spain lore-wise.

Edited by Balame

My heart is filled with Daredevil. What Would Matt Smell Like? (Oh, hell.) Something bloody... and religious? I'm having trouble nailing it. Also Foggy, and Karen, and Claire, and Ben Urich, and Wilson Fisk and Vanessa... Wesley? I want them all. What do you think?

What do you guys think Harley Quinn would smell like?

Also what do you think the characters of Vikings would smell like? Specifically:

Ragnar

Rollo

Floki

Lagertha

Athelstan

Siggy

Helga

Aslaug

Bjorn

It would be great to hear everyone's different opinions and feel free to give suggestions for more characters (:

Edited by Haltija

My heart is filled with Daredevil. What Would Matt Smell Like? (Oh, hell.) Something bloody... and religious? I'm having trouble nailing it.

I feel like Matt would be Anathema (black opium, vetiver, honeysuckle) with a dribble of Blood.

What do you guys think Harley Quinn would smell like?

Harley Quinn (yay, my favorite character of anything ever!) would definitely smell like Mouse Circus, and wears Jailbait on date nights with Mistah J :wub3:

Edited by marilyn eyre

My heart is filled with Daredevil. What Would Matt Smell Like? (Oh, hell.) Something bloody... and religious? I'm having trouble nailing it. Also Foggy, and Karen, and Claire, and Ben Urich, and Wilson Fisk and Vanessa... Wesley? I want them all. What do you think?

he relies on his sense of smells so heavily, it would need to be something light that would allow other smells to still pop.

this is more of a related thing than an answer, but in the mark waid daredevil comics, matt goes crazy for the smell of women wearing clive christian perfume...the most expensive perfume in the world, with notes of jasmine, carnation, cardamom, lemon, benzoin and bergamot.

foggy would smell like sweat and tears and paper and ink and spilled coffee...maybe either shadwell or mr prenderghast for him.

Also what do you think the characters of Vikings would smell like?

I've wondered about this myself. They're kind of hard to place since I don't think a viking should smell too refined... though Floki seems perfect for Laughter of Loki. He's famous for his ships though, so Ship of Hel or The Sea Rat could work. For Helga maybe Venerable Priestess of the Wood? It's incense-y and pretty but still very green and outdoorsy. Also The Chicken-Legged Hut! It's got that homey warmth with a mystical vibe.

Athel isn't as difficult, I'd go with Aureus. I think it's great for him because it reminds me of a cathedral in the woods, so it expresses his faith getting caught between Catholicism and Paganism. I would say Midnight Mass too, but it feels too dark for him.

For Ragnar it's gotta' be Odin. Got that warrior vibe, plus Odin is his family's god. For a more refined King Ragnar I'd go for something sexy but still wild, probably Antique. Rollo... Dragon's Hide? And Bloodlust.

For Lagertha I like Brisingamen but it needs to be roughed up a bit, so I'd layer it with Fighter or something tougher. I think Dark Rosaleen would work for Siggy, since it's very regal but still smells earthy and practical. Aslaug: Skuld or Scrappy Damsel. Bjorn could fit Rending of the Rock. It's kind of a masculine, no-nonsense blend and yet it smells surprisingly clean and straight edge like him.

How about Ecbert? I want to say something like Crypt King, because he's charismatic and manipulative. He enjoys being in a position of power but is too smart to get his hands dirty. Blends like Jareth are too floofy for him, and King Haggard is too brusque (though I could see that for Jarl Borg before the end).

How about Orphan Black characters? Especially Felix.

From the looks of it, Manhattan might suit Felix - (Sexuality, power, confidence. A meeting of modern, sleek elegance and rich, passionate history: sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.) Also could probably pull off something like Iago. Or Perversion.

Sarah would be something darker, maybe spicy and bold. Sin, Snake Oil?

Cosima - maybe Banshee Beat, or one of the more patchouli-heavy blends. Possibly Masquerade for a lighter patch.

Alison - Dirty is the first thing that comes to mind. I think it fits the image she wants to project.

Helena - I think she would like smelling like food. Maybe Eat Me, The Gorobble, Dragon's Milk.

Rachel - Something crisp and professional, but very expensive-smelling. I have no idea.

Ooooh, Orphan Black.

My picks!

Sarah Manning: Sarah wears Mme. Moritarty - Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum. Or maybe War - "Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks."

Felix: I think Felix wears Peversion or Black Phoenix,

Mrs. S.: Totally wears Sarah, The Mother Bear from Pretty Deadly - "Practical scents – warm, nurturing, wise, and strong: tonka bean, soft brown leather, myrrh, white sage, gurjum balsam, Ceylon cinnamon bark, red sandalwood, sweet tobacco, and a touch of gun smoke."

Alison: I think Alison smells like lemon and vanilla, a little like baking cookies and a little like cleaning house. I propose Yellow Snowballs, but she would *hate* that name!

Cosima: Rakshasa - Sandalwood with rose and patchouli. She would also totally rock Snake Oil.

Helena: The Grave Pig - Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli. Because you know Helena would wear mushroom perfume.

Delphine: In my mind she smells like lavender soap. I'm not sure what the best BPAL match for that would be. I almost see perfume as being too frivolous for Delphine.

Kira: Definitely something fresh and youthful, with apple. Maybe Salma from Paranorman? "Crisp linen, a smudge of ballpoint pen ink, soap-touched skin, apple shampoo, and effervescent science fair experiment residue."

Cal (aka Daario Nahaaris from Game of Thrones): Rogue - "Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin." (This would work perfectly for both Cal and Daario, to be honest.)

Rachel: Whitechapel - "A gentlemen's blend, possessed of dignity, charm and refinement, but in truth masking a corrupted, hideous, soulless core. White musk, lime, lilac and citron." I can see Rachel doing a little gender bending with her fragrances. Or maybe Ultraviolet, which is so harsh and cold - "Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint."

But while we're on Rachel, do you remember the last season finale when you see Rachel's immaculate ulna-modern bathroom and she has a shelf full of fancy perfume flacons? I was like "Please let me in Rachel I must smell all your smells."

This is such a fun topic. Can I pick your brains for a character from the urban fantasy queer romance novel I'm working on?

Yuliya is an American-born Ukrainian ballet dancer, 25 years old and just getting her big break for the first time in a faerie-patroned ballet company. She's a spitfire, sharp-witted and clear-eyed, and dances like a firework going off, all speed and sharpness, turns that will give you whiplash and jumps that defy gravity. She has a love of bright colours and bold patterns, orange being her favourite colour, and presents in an aggressively feminine way -- the highest of heels, floral prints, tight skirts, exclamation point pink lipstick. You never get to forget that she's a woman, and woe unto you if you treat her as lesser because of it. She's smart, though she doesn't think she is, and wickedly funny. She has an anxious turn to her, finding interactions with new people panic-inducing, but has a hard facade that doesn't let it show. She's close to and protective of her mother, and is Jewish in that way of many Eastern European immigrants -- she'll gripe and complain and pretend it doesn't matter, but when the chips are down, that's her identity and heaven help you if you give her an ounce of crap about it, because you'll be meeting the business end of her high heels. Physically, she's on the short end, all lean muscle, with honey brown curly hair and big blue-green eyes.

I feel like the knee-jerk is something bright and femme and floral, maybe Vasilissa? But I'd love input.

This is such a fun topic. Can I pick your brains for a character from the urban fantasy queer romance novel I'm working on?

Yuliya is an American-born Ukrainian ballet dancer, 25 years old and just getting her big break for the first time in a faerie-patroned ballet company. She's a spitfire, sharp-witted and clear-eyed, and dances like a firework going off, all speed and sharpness, turns that will give you whiplash and jumps that defy gravity. She has a love of bright colours and bold patterns, orange being her favourite colour, and presents in an aggressively feminine way -- the highest of heels, floral prints, tight skirts, exclamation point pink lipstick. You never get to forget that she's a woman, and woe unto you if you treat her as lesser because of it. She's smart, though she doesn't think she is, and wickedly funny. She has an anxious turn to her, finding interactions with new people panic-inducing, but has a hard facade that doesn't let it show. She's close to and protective of her mother, and is Jewish in that way of many Eastern European immigrants -- she'll gripe and complain and pretend it doesn't matter, but when the chips are down, that's her identity and heaven help you if you give her an ounce of crap about it, because you'll be meeting the business end of her high heels. Physically, she's on the short end, all lean muscle, with honey brown curly hair and big blue-green eyes.

I feel like the knee-jerk is something bright and femme and floral, maybe Vasilissa? But I'd love input.

When I hear "aggressively feminine" I think Skuld: Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum. Intense floral and luscious honey.

To play up the dance aspect, maybe something like Pele: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

For a bright, fruity floral, maybe Tweedledee: Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom.

Getting away from the floral aspect, I think something like Black Temple Burlesque Troupe might suit your character: Cacao, black musk, and tobacco absolute.

Ooooh, Orphan Black.

My picks!

Sarah Manning: Sarah wears Mme. Moritarty - Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum. Or maybe War - "Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks."

Felix: I think Felix wears Peversion or Black Phoenix,

Mrs. S.: Totally wears Sarah, The Mother Bear from Pretty Deadly - "Practical scents – warm, nurturing, wise, and strong: tonka bean, soft brown leather, myrrh, white sage, gurjum balsam, Ceylon cinnamon bark, red sandalwood, sweet tobacco, and a touch of gun smoke."

Alison: I think Alison smells like lemon and vanilla, a little like baking cookies and a little like cleaning house. I propose Yellow Snowballs, but she would *hate* that name!

Great picks! Baking cookies and cleaning house makes me think White Rabbit. It smells like tea, sugar cookies, and clean linen to me.

Edited by Dusk

Listening to the audiobook version of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell at the moment, and really liking it.

Wishing there was a scent based on the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair, or wishing I knew what would be the closest, haha. I do think the title characters would make fun scents as well, but I'm mostly interested in the Gentleman's options.

Edited by DoktorDandy

What a fantastic book! I would love scents based on the Raven King and Childermass. If you haven't checked out The Ladies of Grace Adieu (short stories by Susanna Clarke), I'd recommend that as well.

For the gentleman, the scents that popped into my head were:

Marquise de Merteuil - Heartless, cruel, aristocratic.

Godfather Death - Because he brought Lady Pole back from the dead

The Phantom Wooer - He steals Lady Pole away each night for dancing, but no one else knows. Plus, the ingredients reflect his wildness and his mansion's state of decline behind the illusion - dry, decadent, crumbliing decay (stargazer lily, bone dust, tomb mosses, buttonweed, moonflower, and honey myrtle)

Danse Macabre - For the nightly revels he forces Lady to attend that are slowly draining her life force away.

Roadhouse - My mental image of his hair reminds me of dandelions. Plus, it's rowdy and feral like he is.

What a fantastic book! I would love scents based on the Raven King and Childermass. If you haven't checked out The Ladies of Grace Adieu (short stories by Susanna Clarke), I'd recommend that as well.

The Phantom Wooer - He steals Lady Pole away each night for dancing, but no one else knows. Plus, the ingredients reflect his wildness and his mansion's state of decline behind the illusion - dry, decadent, crumbliing decay (stargazer lily, bone dust, tomb mosses, buttonweed, moonflower, and honey myrtle)

Danse Macabre - For the nightly revels he forces Lady to attend that are slowly draining her life force away.

Roadhouse - My mental image of his hair reminds me of dandelions. Plus, it's rowdy and feral like he is.

It's a really fantastic book! It took me completely by surprise! I'm loving it, though pretty sure like most of my favorite characters, that the Gentleman won't be surviving. We'll see, ah well! I do have that book of short stories on my list as well, thank you for reminding me!

I also LOVE the Raven King and Childermass! Haha, what do your think would match them?

Also, I may or may not be looking into some of the scents you used for the Gentleman- some of them have slipped my notice and sound rather lovely. Huuummm!

Anyone got any ideas for the characters of the show Hannibal?

I've already decided that Freddie Lounds would smell like War, but what about Frederick Chilton? Dr. Lecter? Alana Bloom? Will Graham?

Anyone got any ideas for the characters of the show Hannibal?

I've already decided that Freddie Lounds would smell like War, but what about Frederick Chilton? Dr. Lecter? Alana Bloom? Will Graham?

Glad your inquiry ended up here, unlike mine! XD

Maaaan, I wish I knew more scents by name, but I do think of some notes. I think of spices for Freddie Lounds, and sneaky musks. If I get to smell war, I will think of her, I'm sure! I think of desperate, tweedy cologne notes for Chilton. Dark, pretty florals, red, black and blue for Dr. Bloom.... Would love a Francis Dollarhide based on books alone, (so looking forward to the TV series interpretation). Huummm Jack Crawford might be interesting too. Abigail Hobbs?.. man.

Will would be such a challenge as they actually do bring up his scent in the show- I wish beth could get her hands on that character concept, maybe do two scents, one for Will during his .. episode shall we say (where the scent clue gets discussed by Hannibal, trying to avoid spoilers here just in case) and one for his usual self with amber, warm, doggy sort of scents- lots of earth and warmth, yeah, and aftershave haha. Even his internal happy place could be delightfully interpreted as a cool, woodsy aquatic. I want a ravenstag-wendigo scent pretty badly too. I'm most interested in Hannibal though- in my mind it's an exquisite fougere, a classical old world scent- something with all that citron/green/geranium/vertiver going on and maybe a white musk/civet hint to play off his likeness to ermine in the books and hint at the hidden viciousness.

It's just such a shame- not only are the books rich with scent ideas (like I said on the other thread, the honey in the lion riddle, ect) but the TV show with it's strong characterizations and use of color... it just seems like a natural choice, like it would lend itself to the sense of smell really easily.

It's a really fantastic book! It took me completely by surprise! I'm loving it, though pretty sure like most of my favorite characters, that the Gentleman won't be surviving. We'll see, ah well! I do have that book of short stories on my list as well, thank you for reminding me!

I also LOVE the Raven King and Childermass! Haha, what do your think would match them?

Also, I may or may not be looking into some of the scents you used for the Gentleman- some of them have slipped my notice and sound rather lovely. Huuummm!

Childermas: The Raven, though that might be a little too scholarly. Robin Goodfellow, except that's too informal.

The Raven King: Raven Moon, except with stormclouds? Honestly something with all the stormclouds and darkness that can be crammed in.

I picture Childermass with a mousy brown scent, like Brown Jenkin. The Raven King was so ineffable to me, he is harder for me to place. The obvious one that springs to mind is Blacker than the Raven Wings of Midnight, but that's kind of cheating! Riffing on Patina's suggestion of storm clouds, Undertow is the scent that evokes dangerous, stormy water for me.

*This may* have been requested already; I just skimmed the last few posts because my dragons are fussy.*

I am a HUGE fan of the show Penny Dreadful, more specifically Vanessa Ives. Can anyone recommend a scent that would encapsulate the essence of Ms. Ives? I would also love to hear of any scent recommendations on the main cast as well (Sir Malcolm, The Creature, Mr. Chandler, etc).

Mage~

*This may* have been requested already; I just skimmed the last few posts because my dragons are fussy.*

I am a HUGE fan of the show Penny Dreadful, more specifically Vanessa Ives. Can anyone recommend a scent that would encapsulate the essence of Ms. Ives? I would also love to hear of any scent recommendations on the main cast as well (Sir Malcolm, The Creature, Mr. Chandler, etc).

Mage~

Penny Dreadful is one of my favorite shows ever and for miss Vanessa I see just Penny Dreadful from the GC or I see her wearing Horror Sympathique. That's just what I vision in my head at least. I have always thought about what The Creature would wear and I think I see A Blot Upon The Earth from the Yule 2011 Frankenstein series.

I love this show too! (I've only seen season 1 though!)

Vanessa: Zombie or Crossroads

Sir Malcom: Tavern of Hell

Ethan: Loup Garou or Tombstone

Dorian Gray: Dorian, obviously

Dr. Frankenstein: Miskatonic University

Thanks so much everyone! I take Halloween very seriously and plan on going as Ms. Ives this year and wanted to add some atmosphere.

Zombi is on my ridiculously long wishlist and Penny Dreadful will be arriving Friday (first order ever yay!) I will be adding all of your recs to my list. Thanks again.

Mage~

Edited by MagentasRiffRaff