Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Wolfsbane

Notorious for its properties for protection against werewolves and curing lycanthropy, this nefarious plant also has a fine history of use as a virulent poison. Clasically, Medea employed it in her many works of vengeance. This concoction of ours has none of the lethal qualities, but still personifies all of the herb's dark history beautifully.

My first Rappaccini's Garden, gotten as a frimp!

It is quite woody. Very much like Jupiter, only...heavier in a way. And there is a hint of something else in there, other than cedarwood. And indeed, as TrailerTrashPrincess noted above, it seems not to dry very well.

It is an interesting scent. Perhaps it will work well as a room scent, but I suspect I will save my skin for other oils.

In the imp - Strong, resinous herbal. Clean and yet there's tones of earth there. Yells "masculine" quite loudly.

Wet on skin - More earthy, the resin has faded down and there's an oddly citrus note. No longer yells "masculine" at me.

Dry on skin - So much softer than I expected from the imp sniffing. It wafts a fair distance too, wonderfully dark green without being oppressive. I think this one may be a keeper.

Later - It's gone super subtle or maybe my nose has just gotten used to it. Still pleasantly green though with a tiny hint of something vaguely aniseedlike ...

Wolfsbane - This scent is very primal and earthy, full of the scent of dry leaves, herbs, and soft woods. It's not a scent for me in the least, but I imagine that people who go for the leafy/woodsy/foresty scents might very much like this one because it really is interesting -- slightly leaf-sweet and slightly herb-bitter. The throw is moderate, but the staying power is really good, as it lasts for a good 4-5 hours on my skin.

Wolfsbane is not what I expected at all. First applied to my skin, I can barely smell it. It seems to have disappeared. If I stick my nose right up against where I applied it, I smell....cedar? And something green and herb-ish. Very subtle.

This one will take some getting to know. It may be great slathered.

ETA: Wow, now it's gone sharply herby! What a morpher this is. Medicinal, slightly poisonous smelling. Wolfsbane indeed!

Edited by fiddlehead

Woody and herbal. Very nice, but not something I want to smell like. Odd, because I really like it.

In the imp: Cedar, but with a touch of sweetness.

Wet: Very woody, pine and maybe cedar. A lot like Cathedral actually.

Drydown: Yep, definitely reminds me of Cathedral, but a little less sharp.

Dry: The woods have softened a lot, and now they're smooth and not sharp. There's also a lot of green herbs so it's quite green and woodsy. Which means I really like half of it (the woods) and hate the other half (the green).

Too green for me, although the wood nearly saved it. But not enough. I never got any florals at all, which is actually a good thing if there's rose in this.

Wolfsbane-

In Bottle: Powdery, soft, very lightly floral.

Wet: Wood and herbs, a touch of rose. Very herbal, a bit sweet.

Dry: The sweet herbal scent of this is another of those that just isn't interesting to me, though it is very pleasant in its own right.

Overall: Not for me.

I smell a little juniper, maybe. Definitely some wood, and that peculiar musty note that many BPAL oils have. It's not as strong in here as it is in most of the other scents where it appears.

In the imp...all I smell is something like patchouli. However, on my skin, while there's still that patchouli smell, I get a lot of grassy and woody scent. ^^ And I must say, it smells nice. ::sniffs wrist::

Edited by Shollin

This scent was very evocative to me, and triggered, of all the things, the scent memory of my grandmother's basement. Cold, a little musty, but filled with all kinds of gardening tools, some old dirt, old books, you get the picture! Most people would think that is a bad thing to smell, but I rather like it, perhaps I am a bit demented...

To sum it up in non scent memory terms: Wolfsbane does not change much between wet and the drydown. it remains a very "old" earthy scent. It has moderate staying power but not a lot of throw, which is probably a good thing because I don't think most people would find this an "attractive" smell. I really like this one a lot, and will add it to my bottle wishlist. I would definitely use this as a room scent, if not as a perfume on days when I'm puttering around the house by myself, feeling nostalgic. I think this is unique among the dirt and earth scents, and definitely worth trying at least once.

Woody and earthy at the same time. It also reminds me of the cabinets in my grandmothers house (we used to hide in them)

So this is one of the earthy scents that I actually like, just by the association. However I don't think I like it to big bottle proportions.

This is very lovely...an evergreen wood, which I suspect is mainly cypress rather than cedar as many people have been getting, because it doesn't turn to pencils on me. But it could be some random cedar varient that doesn't go pencilly. There's some of that patchouli-dirt note...appropriately enough, it's quite similar to Loup Garou on my skin. It's also reminiscent of a much less sweet Death Cap. As it dries, there's a bit of an herbal note that sticks out over the woods. It's not the kind of scent I'll wear all the time, but for dirt/wood scents, this is excellent. Very appropriate for winter.

Thanks to Tempest Teapot for the imp!

In the imp: I smell more patchouli/dirt/vetiver than anything. I don't really pick up on the resin.

Wet: Yarrr, 'tis dirt here...maybe vetiver, probably patchouli. It makes the incense sort of stale on here...I took a big sniff of this one and started coughing.

Drydown and wear: Much more dirt here...this is not playing nice on my skin and I can't figure out why, as these types of oils usually work well on me. :P

Edited by The_Merf

Wolfsbane started out very dark and plant-matterish on my boy's skin. After a few minutes it had mellowed down into overwhelmingly pine-scented darkness, like a forbidding forest.

Interesting, and not a bad smell, but not what I want to smell on him.

First Sniff: I don't really smell anything.

On: Eucalyptus/juniper? Still faint.

Dry: There's definitely eucalyptus in here, plus something else I'm finding it hard to characterize.

Long-Term: Juniper/eucalyptus/galangal/something. Smells rather a lot like Loup Garou, only fainter.

Oddly sweet and resinous. And something like eucalyptus.

It's a bold, kind of sharp scent. It's the sort of scent that seems medicinal to me because it smells like Vick's Vaporub. With cedar.

Not really my kind of scent at all, but my dog thought it was very interesting and worthy of about a minute of concentrated sniffing.

In the imp its strongly herbal, green and warm with a hint of warm woods.

Wet on my skin I get hit with strong earth, much like I do with Luperci. A kind of dirty patchouli thing going on.

As it dries the earthy scent mellows, but doesn't entirely fade. I love woodsy notes, and herby notes, and Wolfsbane is a gorgeous melange woods and herbs, grounded by the earthy note.

Oh hell, my poor pocketbook. I think this could be bottle material.

A kind frimp!

Alas, this is all cedar on me. My skin amps it like nothing else...and it just makes me think of my guinea pig cage because it uses cedar chips.

Pure cedar means I'm going to have to pass on the frimpage...

Imp: Smoky and woodsy pine

Wet: Cedarwood or something similar, quite masculine

Dry: Yup still cedar... maybe it will be nice to layer this over something that needs a dry and gritty edge. But alone, this doesn't really do it for me. It smells like the insides of an old wooden cabinet.

This came as an extra with the last order I placed from the lab.

In the bottle, it smelled like... well, that smell when you walk into a Hot Topic.

But on the skin? Vicks Vap-o-rub, seriously. I don't know why, but that's exactly what it smelled like. I had to wash it off almost immediately.

Frimp from the lab!

Very strong, VERY pure cedar-sandalwood. It's surprisingly nice, and very reminiscent of the other frimp the lab sent (Fenris Wolf). What are the odds!

In the bottle: Woody & mossy, a bit sharp.

Wet: Pine disinfectant, quickly warming up to (sandal) wood with an underlying sweetness. Good throw. The sandalwood is especially noticeable.

Later: Sandalwood with pine, not sweet. Very Christmas tree, quite similar to Velvet & Strangler Fig. Nice, but not a love, so a swapper - 6/10.

In the bottle: Woody & mossy, a bit sharp.

Wet: Pine disinfectant, quickly warming up to (sandal) wood with an underlying sweetness. Good throw. The sandalwood is especially noticeable.

Later: Sandalwood with pine, not sweet. Very Christmas tree, quite similar to Velvet & Strangler Fig. Nice, but not a love, so a swapper - 6/10.

Duly swapped. I found out the following:

In the bottle: a dark, cypress-y scent, combined with a tang I can’t quite place. Almost sandalwood-y.

On the wrist: woody, cedary, with just a touch of smoke. This is like climbing trees—lovely!

Dry: Oh, this is distinctly lovely. There’s something behind the wood pushing it out, but I can’t quite identify it. Maybe a hint of earth.

After an hour: still the same, but fading fast. Cypress with earth, and a hint of something soft, though I don’t get the roses that other reviewers have talked about.

After three hours: the very faintest, most fading whiff of cedar left.

I love this to bits, but it fades and I can’t see when I’d wear it. 7.5 therefore.