Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hawthorn, fig, myrrh, carnation, toasted almond, red and green apple, patchouli, wood smoke, and Indian musk.

L'Autunno

Bottle: Fig with almost a honeyed sweetness and a dash of spice.
Wet: Fig, kitchen spices, and a bit of apple. I am confused because I distinctly smell cinnamon, but it's not listed in the notes. It's okay though, because I adore this kind of scent!
Dry: Smells like those spice sachets that you can find at some country kitchen stores. The ones that come sewn inside potholders so that when you set the pot down, it warms the sachet and the kitchen smells like wonderful warm spices.

Verdict: I am so, so happy I ordered the inquisition, and that the goblins in their wisdom (and with the help of the highly accurate quiz!) sent me L'Autunno!

L'Autunno is literally autumn in a bottle. There's no better way to describe it.

In the bottle, it smells mostly of apple and fig with some patchouli creeping up around the edges. On me, it morphs into a wonderful, smoky spiced-fruit scent. I can smell a bit of the wood and the musk underneath it all, along with the patchouli, which (thank Eris!) doesn't overpower the scent the way it did for me in Samhain.

For lack of a better description, I smell like a pie picnic around an autumn bonfire.

And I love it.

Autumn is my favorite season for a reason. :P

First Impressions:

Yankee Candle....not any scent in particular....just the scent of the store itself... :D

Wet in the Bottle: Smells like green apples!

On skin: More apples, but now the spicy, orange-smelling, foodiness appears....evokes visions of pumpkins and something tasty baking in an oven!

Drydown: This scent is lovely and interesting. The scent that lingers around me as I type this is rather foody and warm and spicy. The scent that wafts from me is sharper and crispier and greener...definitely the apple scent....if I smell my skin, I get yet a third variation of scents with a slight herbal undertone.....

This scent is lovely....complex yet familiar in a comfort-zone kind of way. The name is dead on as L'Autunno definitely smells like autumn to me. So glad I chose this season..... :P

In the bottle: seksi sagey apply goodness. :P

I know sage isn't anywhere near this blend, but that's what I get out of it. I'm guessing that it's the myrrh, fig, and woodsmoke combining.

On skin: seksi spicy apply goodness. And that's pretty much how it stays during the drydown.. OMG I love this scent. It's like cantabile said - autumn in a bottle.

Can't nobody talk me down from getting another set of this! :D *plots her storypoemthing*

In the bottle: Apple and spice and smoke.

wet on me:More spice and smoke, and then myrrh. This is the stage where fig can either overpower or be nice to me. *anticipates*

a few minutes later: Seems like the fig is behaving! I'm getting mostly smoky musk and apple now. Smells like toasted Coral Snake.

I really can't describe this except to say I wish I could get my hands on another bottle without buying the whole set (my debit card would die). It's all the wonderful smells of autumn in a tiny bottle of awesome. Not foody in the least (to my nose) but the smell of the outside on a perfect fall evening, completely with a bonfire.

Ok so if this trio of L'Autunno oil, room spray and bath oil is the result of Beth's hormonal overloaded pregnancy brain (as my friend called it when she had her bun in the oven) then I hope Beth decides to get pregnant like a rabbit. :D

The perfume oil is all apple and figs with a hint of spice. The smoke and myrrh are very light, in fact I can hardly tell they are there. This is sparkling and fresh and sweet, like Samhain without the pine.

Now, I feel I cannot review this properly without mentioning how this oil blends and combines with the bath oil and the room spray (reviews on each of those will include impressions with the perfume oil). I didn't get to take a bath yet, but I had to well, rub on the bath oil to my forearm then apply the perfume oil to my wrist, then I sprayed my room spray. OMFG!!!!!! Here I am in the middle of a hot Mo' fukkin' Tex-ass Summer, and I am instantly transported to Autumn. My favorite Season (the imps' quiz was indeed the most accurate of quizzes). The bath oil smells of dry golden Autumn grassses, combined with the crisp, sweet freshness of the apple, and the heavy dark fig and patchouli with bonfire smoke and I am on a hill in a field of dry grass on a crisp Fall day eating a picnic of sweet apple and fig while someone burns leaves in the distance. This is so damn good, I am fighting the bad angel to buy another set and horde it. :P

O

M

G

!!!!!

:D

This is incredible.

:P

L'Autunno must be tickling that spot in my brain where I've stored memories of running to the bus stop on the first day of school as a kid....with the fresh, autumn leaves crunching under my feet...or going to Halloween parties and singing songs around the bonfire...or going apple picking with my family and getting excited when my Dad picked me up to let me get the big apples from the top...or the time I bought a cinnamon scented candle that looked like a witch one Halloween when I was a kid, my mother let me fall asleep with it and when I woke up it was crumbled into my sheets..THIS is what my sheets smelled like days later! Wow! This really is autumn in a bottle. I thought Samhain was the very best Bpal Autumn scent but they have outdone themselves. Incredible!

L'Autunno is warm, fall spices, with apple, a smoky undertone and every single one of your best autumn memories. I am completely in love with this one. THANK YOU BETH!

Apple, fig, fresh air, and a TEENY bit of spices.

I have tried most, if not all, of the lab's Autumnal blends. This is BY FAR my favorite. :P

In the bottle, candleshop apple and spices.

Wet, on me, patchouli, smoke and apples.

Alrighty, now that the myrrh is kicking into gear...Myrrh, apples, fig(I think), with smoky patchouli in the background.

This is interesting. Once it hit my skin any hint of candleshop vanished. The scent is still morphing a bit. Sometimes it takes a half hour to an hour for myrrh to decide what it is going to do for me. So far it is a spicy scent with just enough fruit to sweeten the just enough smoke to make things interesting and different. It's all the smells I like in the stores in autumn without all the chemically overtones. Being that I live in the middle of suburban S.Cal where the mall experience of autumn is pretty much what I get, I have a harder time comparing it to the scent of actual orchards, fall color, and burning leaves.

I like! I think I will like it even more once the weather cools off a bit and the Xmas shopping season begins(When you don't have real weather, only climate, that's the first reliable sign of summer ending).

in the bottle: apple. apple-y apple, like mulled cider with cinnamon. usually i fear apple notes as they tend to go all Yankee Candle on me, but so far this smalls rather good.

wet on skin: the apple has toned down, though not gone away, and the spice had amped just a bit. this is totally autumn at this stage. :P

dry down: a nice mulled spice cider drunk in the pumpkin patch in all it's yummy, smoky glory.:D

in all: a decent daytime autumn scent on it's own, but the magic IS in the layering- for when i smell this scent by itself, it's nice enough, but nothing grand. however, when i have it *along* with the L'Autunno Bath Oil, then *real* magic starts to happen, and the cider apple mixes with the molasses and forms something gorgeous, complex, and magnificent.

worth having the set in tact!

Very appley wet. Once it dries, the apple lightens but doesn't disappear, and the smoke and patchouli and resins are most prominent. Definitely autumn bottled.

THIS is amazing. It's so good it could be a religion. Harvest Moon should have been like this...it's amazing mix of cider, spices, crunchy leaves, sticks. It's not nearly as "leafy" as the atmosphere spray, it's more sweet and soothing, like a hot beverage on a cool, windy day.

Paired with the bath oil: add maple syrup to the mix, and WHOA! I cannot pull my hand away from my face long enough to type. It makes it hard to get through a review, let me tell you :P. This is an amazing concept, and an amazing execution. My favorite season in a soon to be favorite set of oils and sprays. Amazing.

This is a very spicy, warm scent, and the apple certainly comes out to play in a very crisp, fall sort of way. I agree with the people who said it smells like a candle or a sachet you might use in your house as the leaves are turning colors. Really, it smells exactly like a cute, crafty antique store would smell if you walked into it in October.

The scents blend together pretty well for the most part, but I'm not sure that I want to smell like a yummy spiced scented autumn candle... but I might feel different when autumn actually rolls around!

This starts off in the bottle as very crisp and juicy apples. Like the scent after you bite in and there is tons of juice just running down your arms.

On my skin, it becomes very spicy, like a rich mulled cider with some added figgy and other goodies.

A few hours later, the apple crispness returns to dance in the forest with the rich spice blend, which then bows out to allow the apple the chance for an encore.

So gorgeous I wore it 3 days in a row, which I almost never do!

L'Autunno smells like creepy without the apple to me. The apple in Creepy is loud and vivid, but behind it are spices and sweetnees, and this scent, to me, smells just like that sweetness and spice in the background without anything in the foreground. I totally love it.

in the bottle: fresh apple cider, smoke and a ripe round fruitiness that i think is the fig.

wet: woodsmoke and cider and oh NO, is that a hint of plastic i smell? say it ain't so, l'autunno! ok, plastic being kept at bay- it's getting darker and smokier now. i have not been happy with the various scents of mine that promise this kind of smokiness, but this is nice, and the closest i've come yet to a true, 'burning leaves' kind of note. it stays very smokey but there is a note of juicy tartness from the apples. i don't get much spice from it. it's really, really nice, and i am pleasantly surprised that the almond has not yet bitchslapped all the other notes into submission like it usually does. it reminds me of samhain, but less spicy.

dry: ok, *now* it is starting to smell like spiced apple cider... enjoyed by the side of a roaring bonfire. unfortunately the plastic i smelled a hint of when first applied is back and gives it kind of a waxy, candlelike smell. it smells unfortunately artificial on my skin. :P i so wanted to love this.

L'Autunno is my favorite of the four seasons perfumes. It *is* autumn in a bottle and it is the perfect mix of atmosphere and warm comfort. I can distinctly pick out the apples at first. The apples are crispy and juicy and they seem to have a sort of spice to them. The fig is rich, sweet, and earthy and I get only a hint of toasted almond. The patchouli and wood smoke add just a touch of atmosphere and depth to the other notes; myrrh and hawthorn remain subtle nuances.

This is a work of art and I think it's only going to get more beautiful as it settles out. This is autumn personified, and will probably join my other autumn/Halloween favorites.

so, there really wasn't much chance i wasn't going to like this. with samhain, SS candy apple, and autumn being in my BPAL top five, l'autunno was a no brainer. so why am i so shocked at how absolutely GORGEOUS this is?

okay, let me wipe the drool and other assorted euphoric moistures off my notes here:

in the bottle magically sweet and mysterious with a murky, heady apple

wet on skin absolutely blooms with spice and smoke! the apple is buried under a deep figginess and layer upon layer of mulling spices

dry on skin this has a resinous underbelly that slithers over the spices and allows the apple to dominate. it's similar to the sweet-tart apple of creepy, but shares some of the syrupy apple whiff of samhain, too.

if i could replace each bottle in my collection with bottles of this tomorrow, i would. even my top five.

On me, L'Autunno is apple potpourri, not what I was expecting but still really good. After a while it starts to burn, so I'll use this as a room scent instead.

Phoo. appleappleappleapplecinnamonapplecinnaminnyappleapplePOOF. L'Autunno takes a quick post-coital puff on a clove ciggy & bolts for the door. :P Feh.

In the bottle: Spicy, smoky. A bit of sweetness from dried fruit, some nuttiness. Apple, patchouli, other woodsy things, and the bitter bite of myrrh.

Wet: Even spicier, holy moly! Carnation, yes, but more so CINNAMON and other mulling spices. This is indeed fittingly autumnal. The spices and carnation overwhelm. Less smoke and myrrh, a bit more apple (fresh, complex, lovely) and fig (dried, rich, soft).

Dry: The almond has emerged a bit (it has a lovely butteriness, not that almond extract-benzaldehyde, that softens the spice a bit), and the patchouli, but otherwise the same - very very very cinnamony with barely sweet fruit. Definitely unisex.

Later: The spice stays strong but most of the other notes amp up a bit to provide more depth, and amazingly, the apples have barely faded. The musk has emerged and is delicious but not nearly as distinct as I would like.

Summary: Spicy cinnamon and carnation, with lighter notes of deep fig and nutty almond, deep musk, softly earthy patchouli, and the barest hints of smoke and apples. When the spiciness backs down a bit, the warm, deep underlying base is quite pleasant. Strong throw and lasting power.

Alas, I don't like cinnamon. Such a shame when the smoke and myrrh were so well behaved on me!

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: :P

Preconceived notions/pre-review thoughts:

In the imp: Sweet, earthy, slightly spicy apple! This bodes well!

On skin, wet: This is what I wanted Samhain to smell like: deep, earthy, sweet and spicy cider!

On skin, dry: Patchouli, cider, and cinnamon. It's deep and warm, smoky and spicy, sharp and surprisingly rich. Fall in a bottle.

Conclusion: L'Autunno is everything I love about fall. More specifically, it reminds me of Hallowe'en season. Like Monster, it brings up very specific memories: crunching through red, brown, and orange leaves on Hallowe'en 1993 in my maternal grandmother's Michigan neighborhood. Trying to fend off my mother's constant nagging -- "Don't walk on your costume!" "Stay where I can see you!" "Don't go to that house; the light is off!" -- while racing my friends to the next house. This was back before those absurd "you can only trick or treat between 6 and 8pm" laws started popping up, and it must've been about 11pm. The whole neighbourhood was alive with music and laughter and kids throwing rejected treats at each other -- really, now, who gives out carrots on Hallowe'en? The sidewalks were packed with monsters and faeries and princesses, elaborate costumes mothers had slaved over for weeks and last-minute get-ups from the drugstore. The moon seemed full (having been full the night before), and there was a woman reading palms on someone's porch. When I passed her, she was telling someone about the true origins of Hallowe'en, peppered quite liberally with anything she could think of to terrify the young kid. Hallowe'en back then had a vibe I've never been able to find again -- one not unlike that which one finds at rock festivals and political rallies: a miniature version of that connected feeling. I can't fathom why it brings up that memory, but I'm not complaining --just babbling. :D Simply put: L'Autunno is a winner.

Edited by Aredhel

At first, L'Autunno is incredibly boozy spiced apple cider. After dry down, the proof seems to level off, leaving sparkling spiced apple cider- lovely and crisp, not like smooshy apple pie ,and without any yeastiness. I'm glad I gave in and sprang for this set; the perfume oil and bath oil are terribly lovely, if not much alike. Combined, one gets a very full autumn blend of aromas.

Wet: This smells like gorgeous fresh cut apple and apple cider. :P

Wet on Skin: wet, boozy, apple cider.

Drydown: Something green, with the apples. It's a little sickening actually. (me thinks its my tko) Me thinks I might be swappin afterall.

I was thinking about purchasing a second Inquisition and getting L'Autunno, and I have to say, I'm glad I didn't, because this one didn't turn out so well. All I got from this was spice -- no fig, apples, smoke, or musk. And they weren't particularly yummy spices, either. Just in your face cinnamon. For what it's worth, I was instantly reminded of Arcana's Poison Candy without the plasticky undertone, so if you liked that one you might want to check out L'Autunno.

2.5/5