Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hawthorn, fig, myrrh, carnation, toasted almond, red and green apple, patchouli, wood smoke, and Indian musk.

L'Autunno is definitely one of my biggest bpal disappointments ever. I LOVE apple scents, and I also love fig, myrrh, and patchouli. I thought that this would be awesome with the red and green apples and no spice notes listed. Unfortunately, in the bottle and on my skin, this is nothing but spice. This isn't a pleasant spice to me either, it's a sharp, astringent type of cinnamon. It's like sharp cider spice without the apple. :P

This gives me a headache, and it smells nothing like any of the listed notes (at least not to my nose or on my skin). I'm heartbroken that this doesn't smell like apple to me at all :D

L'Autunno smells like warm apple cider and late September. When you've had enough of the heat and humidity of summer and are wishing for Fall to finally get here, this is the scent that I have in my head that totally personifies the season.

Now for something a bit more helpfull: I tested the oil just before leaving for a trip with my husband, and as we were driving he asked what I was wearing. I stuck my wrist under my nose and he said he loves it. I was surprised and didn't think he would like an apple scent. It's very much a warm apple and a bit musky, which I love.

I wasn't sure if it would smell like a candle on me when I first sniffed it, but it doesn't. It's a winner and a hoard worthy scent that will be treasured when Fall is finally here. :P

In the bottle: Mmm...sweet, sweet apple cider. It's that same Golden Delicious apple note I get from Harvest Moon 06 (even though it's red apple listed in both blends - to me, it's very golden). :P

On wet: Instant spice, a dash of wood, the smokiness of myrrh, peppery-creamy carnation, and something that makes me think of (oddly enough) fresh, cool water lingering around the edges.

Drydown: Spice - including that fantastic peppered cream of the carnation - is still the most prominent aspect of this blend. The subtle, sweet earthiness of fig is detectable, though, as are the occasional whiffs of those sparkling golden apples. The wood, myrrh, smoke, musk, and patch are all sticking close to my skin, and, depending on where my nose is at any given time, I get bits and bites of each to varying degrees - really lovely. No toasted almond to be found. I'm thinking it got buried under all the other smoky/woody stuff.

Overall: Another delightful autumn scent to add to my collection - like the love child of spicy-woody-smoky-dry Chrysanthemum Moon, and the spiced apple-patchouli goodness of Samhain (with a dash of happy-apple influence from cousin Harvest Moon 06). I'd have preferred a *wee* bit more fruit to contrast with all that spiced smoke, but that's a small thing against everything else I enjoyed about this blend. And who knows what will come with some age? I'm betting it'll be even more incredible next year! :D 4/5

As an Autumn baby I have a certain idea in my mind about the smells of Autumn and what I expect. And L'Autunno does a very nice job of being a very Autumny scent. It's got a slightly fruity quality but it's very played down and it's smokey and mildly sweet. Imagine if the original Hunter Moon had a baby with Samhain. That's this scent! If you love either of those scents, you are likely to love this one as well (I know I do!).

Wow, L'Autunno is definitely my favorite of the Four Seasons. Kinda crazy, considering that I don't usually like apple scents, but I sure do like this one. The apple isn't bright and crisp, it's smooth. Smooth like the apple in cider. There's some great spices in this, and it's warm and comforting. The smoothness in it reminds me a bit of pumpkin -- like that sort of butteriness you get from pumpkin sometimes. I can smell some smoke in it too, but it's not prominent and it smells spicy. Spicy smoke? Yeah, I know, weird. But it works.

Awesome. I like this one a lot.

Spices, apple, and lurking woodsmoke. This shouldn't work because of the patchouli, but it's absolutely lovely! If I slather it I get an hour or so of SMOKESMOKEpatchouliSMOKEdeadleaves before it settles down into the smoky spicy apple goodness, but even that isn't the choking horrible smell that patchouli usually ends up as on my skin.

In the imp: A fresh Red Delicious apple..mmmmm...

On me: There are the spicy notes! The apple is still the dominant note, but the other notes combine to give it a sort of...potpourri vibe. Damn. Still, there's no question that it's a quintessential autumn blend; it's 90 degrees in my office right now yet I want to go outside and jump in a pile of fallen leaves.

In imp: apples and dry leaves and bonfires in the twilight. Just as good as I thought it would be.

Wet on skin: mmmmmmm ... oh - um - there's patchouli! It's lovely, though - sweet and fruity, with earthy fig, toasted almond, apples and smoke. Patchouli stays in the background, spicy carnation sweetens and lightens it a little and I'm not sure what Indian musk smells like, but this is excellent stuff!

Dry on skin: the carnation is coming out more, with its characteristic spice. Patchouli has realised it's unwanted and gone away. Fig, apple and a trace of almond are having a party on my arm! It's sweet and warm and spicy and the perfect autumn scent! It itches a bit, though.

The second testing confirmed that this is an awesome scent. Even better than Samhain. Unfortunately, it also burns and causes red patches on my skin. :P

Yes, I waited to try this on the first day of Autumn, like a big dork. It smells like delicious warm apples in the bottle and wet on the skin. On dry down, it smells more like smoke, spices, and leaves, with the apples fading into the background. I had a slight allergic reaction to this scent on the crooks of my elbows. The redness went away pretty quickly, though, and it's fine on my wrists. I've even reapplied it to my wrists a couple of times, just because that initial apple stage is so pretty. This scent is simply beautiful! I can't stop smelling myself. We don't get much of a real Autumn in New Orleans, but now I can close my eyes and pretend... :P

Hmmm...well, it's earthy all right. But it only lasts for about a minute, before the delicious red and green apples, carnation and fig pull through. Definitely has a cooler weather vibe to it. I am having a hard time deciphering if there is toasted almond or even smoke. All I can muster is earthy apples spiced with carnation.

it's ok, but unfortuntely unlike the other 3 seasons, this is not really bowling me over, and the throw is non existant.

I really smell the apple both in the bottle and on me. After several hours I also get a peachy kind of scent. I liked this so-so, but much prefer La Primavera. Mmmmm nom nom!

ADDED Nov. 2:

Bottle: Apple, spice, fig

Applied: Incense and smoke, with bitter fruitness.

Dry down: Bitter apple, with some dry smokiness. I don't really like this at all. I thought it'd be a homerun with the fig, because I usually like figgy scents. But something (apples?) makes this go all weird on me.

I have two imps of L’Autunno. They are WILDLY different colors. One is a fairly deep red orange, and one is a much paler golden tone. I’m reviewing both on either arm to see if they are different.

Imp:

Red: a very woodsy apple. Actually, this smells like LUSH’s Tramp shower gel + apple. Mmmmm.

Yellow: Less apple than the red, still with a Tramp shower gel-like note, but more smoke and woods woody patchouli, perhaps?)

Wet:

Red: That same apple-Tramp combo.

Yellow: Way less apple than the red version, lots more wood smoke.

Both are spicy, slightly sweet woody apple scents, though, and I enjoy both. 

Dry:

Red: Apple-woodsy, patchouli + tramp. The wood in this verges on cedary pencil shavings for a while, but it ends in a woodsy patchouli with hints of spice and a touch of apple.

Yellow: Smoky autumn fires with roasting apples, and a light spiciness. Ends in a deep, sweet, spicy apple blend, far less patchouli than the other imp.

Overall: I was most excited about the fig note in this one, but I never smelled it. However, I quite enjoyed both of these. It’s a quintessential autumn scent—apples, smoke, woods…just perfect. It’s a lovely perfume, but I think it would be an amazing home scent, as well. Its just so deep and autumny and cozy. I had several compliments while wearing this blend--good throw and about 8 hrs of staying power. I would like to compare this to harvest 05, fearful pleasure, hesperides, verdandi, and samhain to get side by side autumn apple blend comparisons.

Apple cider, smoke, and patchouli. I didn't think I'd love it but I do! Especially nice with a dab of Punkie Night to sweeten it.

Smoky wood, fruit, and spice. L'autunno is absolutely perfect for cool autumn and winter days. It evokes the coziness and color of the season as an antidote to the lengthening darkness.

I can see wearing this for the winter holidays as well - it reminds me of Yuletide and some of the traditional BPAL winter oils.

L'Autunno reminds me very very VERY much of Punkie Night. In fact, if you missed PN, L'A is almost a dead ringer replacement. Both are apple cider scents, but I prefer PN because when it's wet there's the crisp, tart scent of a Granny Smith apple being bitten into. L'A is all apple cider, all the time. When I really look for subtleties in L'Autunno, I can detect a similar base scent to L'Estate, which is kind of fun- it makes me think of the tie between summer and autumn, when you can't really tell which is which. Sometimes I think I smell very faint greenery, probably the hawthorn, which makes me think of brick walls covered in vines. I wish that I smelled some of the other notes so that this oil was more different from Punkie Night.

At first, it was a jumbled mix that settled into apples, smoky apples.

Now, it's pretty much just wood smoke, with a slight apple undertone. It's alright, but I'm not thrilled with it.

This lovely and generous frimp was the warm apple cider and spice most reviews talked about but then when dry it became very bitter :P I may be having a weird chemistry day though so I'll be trying this one again later. Almond doesn't love me so that may be it...

L’Autunno

In the bottle: smoky sweet spicy apples. Very heavy on the apples.

Wet on skin: apples! Lots of apples in here, but now I also smell figs and smoke and something nutty.

Dry on skin: the apple notes are sadly trying to screw this scent up, and the fig’s a little too sharp (I like my figs brown and mushy and sweet) but I really like the other supporting notes-the wood smoke note is fabulous, incredibly evocative of autumn. There’s also something here that brings to mind dead leaves upon soil, and tree bark. Lots of earthy patchouli in here. I can smell some almond (this smells like toasted nutty almond, not bitter almond/amaretto) and maybe a touch of musk as well, the carnation is what makes this smell spicy, and there’s a nice myrrh note underneath. Here’s to hoping the apple tames a bit.

After a while: mmm, this is actually improving! The apple is doing the same thing as it did in the latest 13 scent-it’s softening and merging with the other notes. In fact, this now smells less like the fresh apple from before, and more like cooked apples…almost like apple compote, which I love. My mum’s apple compote is one my favourite things about autumn. This also reminds me of another favourite autumn dish-apple crumble. This is a crumble of apples and figs, topped with almonds (and I swear I’m getting something buttery, like pastry) and spiced with cloves. Mmm. Around it lingers the scent of smoke and the earthy scent of leaves and soil and twigs. The more I smell this, the more I love it.

After a moment when I fear the apple will turn bad again, when it goes sharp and a bit sour, this then dries down into a gorgeous spiced patchouli with sweetness and fruit-it actually reminds me of Alone, or the Phantom Calliope with apple instead of cherry. For some reason, I get cassia and cardamom here.

The patch sticks around for ages here-it’s really strong-almost aged-patchouli, with sweet spiciness.

Verdict: though not as wonderful and ‘instant love’ as L’Estate, this is a really gorgeous seasonal scent! At first I wasn’t so sure as the apple was very sharp, I thought it wouldn’t be nice on me. But then the apple calms a bit and gains a ‘baked’ smell, which I love. It smells like apple tart (a bit like a Tarte Tatin, actually, but not as caramelised, and it also reminds me of apple crumble) with figs and nuts and a background of myrrh, spices and really strong patchouli. This patch becomes dominant as the scent fades and sticks around for ages, even resisting showers! This is a lot nicer than expected and like many apple scents these days, it seems to work better on me than usual. I like it a lot but I’m not sure if it’s my favourite, when compared to Fearful Pleasure, which I think I prefer as my definitive autumn apple scent. I’m still not sure whether I need my bottle. I have a feeling it will age really well though, and a little goes a long way. either way, this is a wonderful autumnal fragrance.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Definitely an imp’s worth. Maybe the bottle?

If you like this, try: 13 (June 08), Samhain, To Autumn, Fearful Pleasure, Harvest Moon (any)

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the vial: Foody but very like autumn. Smells of the farmstand a a local apple orchard, with cider mulling.

Wet: Sharp herby apple with woodsmoke. The patchouli is noticeable now. This one's going to be iffy on me, I think.

Twenty minutes: The whole room smells of this one, all apples and spicy carnation and smoky patchouli. Unexpectedly, this one is working very well on me. But it is treading perilously close to "scented candle," so we'll see.

One hour: Narrowly avoiding "scented candle," but this is extremely strong on me. The whole room smells good!

Two hours: Still carnation and woodsmoke, but the apple has calmed down. There's a note I think is the fig, a rich fruity one. Surprised not to get more musk and myrrh off this one! Still, it is warm and earthy, a good fall scent.

Three hours: Still deliciously autumnal. I like it better now it's so subtle.

Five hours: Yum, I can get some of the patchouli now. This one starts off too fruity for my taste, although pleasant, and turns into a lovely subtle everyday autumn kind of scent.

Eight hours: Patchouli, smoke, and something greenly herbal (hawthorn?).

I tend not to get along with the Hallowe'enies, so this is now my go-to autumnal scent.

This one was the surprise hit of the four seasons for me. I find apple scents generally headache-inducing, but this one is just simply gorgeous. There's spice, and smoke, and mulled cider, and burning leaves...it is truly autumn in a bottle. It reminds me a lot of the harvest moons, with more depth. It also reminds me quite a lot of Fearful Pleasure, too- a good substitute if you missed this one.

The apple + spice notes reminded me to Fearful Pleasure when it was on wet, but it has more of the 'fallen leaves' than FP does. As it dries however, the patchouli goes powdery on me. At least, I think it's the patch. Ah well, at least I love the room spray! :P

Strange enough -

all I smell is Cola and apple-juice... :eek:

Its pretty heavy on the apple and I quite like it.

Normally I can´t do apples AT ALL,

but the "coke" calms it down...

No patchouli, no spices really.. but nice anyway.

I don´t think I will reach for this one often,

but I´m happy I have it in my collection.

In the bottle – Sweet, slightly spicy apples. More like an apple flavoured sweet than an actual apple

Wet on me – Still that candied apple, with a hint of something green, it might be the hawthorn

Dry on me – Initially it goes very smoky, but then it settles to a very dry, green apple scent with a layer of musk

Overall – It’s a little smoky for me, but when it settles it’s the perfect apple scent I didn’t know I wanted