Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Hand of Glory

The fingertips themselves are aflame, yet the desiccated skin is not being consumed.

Beeswax, dry leather, black pepper, saltpeter, nutmeg, Mysore sandalwood, and oak bark.

Bottle: Waxy and sweet, with a tiny bit of nutmeg's comforting spice.

Wet: Tons of beeswax, and then soft & supple well-worn leather. After a few minutes, it starts smelling like fetish night at the local goth club: wet leather, skin musk, and just a touch of smoke (presumably the black pepper trying to mimic cloves). I think it'd smell great on a guy.

Dry: It's...dry. Dry hot leather, dry tree bark, dry sandalwood, cold melted beeswax pooled into a hard disc.

I don't know how best to describe what type of scent I'd categorize this as. It's evocative of its inspiration, and that's a little creepy. I'm not recoiling from the notes themselves, and I love the artwork, but it's not something I will reach for again and again.

This scent is creepy as hell smelling. I don't know how else to describe it. It's sweet from the beeswax but it's a macabre and mild sweetness that's on the edge of going sour. Just reading the description of this ("The fingertips themselves are aflame, yet the desiccated skin is not being consumed.") then smelling it is eerie. Something about Hand of Glory smells incredibly realistic. Beeswax is the dominant note throughout and leather+black pepper with nutmeg in the background. No idea what saltpeter smells like but there is an ashen/charcoal note somewhere that is really nice. I've never smelled anything like it before. This stuff is hair raising.

I can't stop smelling this. I am so drawn into this scent -- the first layer of sweet, smooth beeswax luring you in, and then the scorched, smoking fingers close around you. Charred leather, burnt wood, smooth dark polished wooden surfaces brushed by wisps of smoke, all beneath the golden honey glow of beeswax.

In other words, this is one of the most beautiful things imaginable in my olfactory world. As it dries there is a slight powdery note developing that I can't place -- it might be the way the smokiness dries down, but it is as if the smoke dissipates and the charred leather flakes away to ash mingled with pollen. The darker smooth wood and beeswax cling to me for hours, and into the next day, so I catch tiny whiffs of it wherever I applied it, a ghostly reminder of the spectre.

Oh so lovely. It smells like someone just blew out the candles on the devil's birthday cake! :P

in the bottle: the sweet smokiness of Antikytheria Mechanism, all by itself. :D

wet on skin: more of the same, with a dash of leather tossed in.

dry down: it has stayed true.

in all: if you like Mechanism, check this out, it'll likely make you swoon.

:P

"Oi!" Robert called to me through the murky gloom of the fog. "Light it up!"

I fumbled through my bag, trying not to gag. My hand closed around the cold, greasy mass and I came up with the object in question, recoiling. It was a silly reaction for two reasons. First, unless I dropped it (an action that would encourage a sound beating from Robert), I couldn't get any further from it than the reach of my own arm. Second, I encountered worse filth on almost a daily basis at the tannery where I slaved for my meagre wages. This was no worse than the pure used to soak the lime from the skins, surely.

The object in question shone dimly in the darkness. Even now, unlit, it had an unearthly glow about it. A Hand of Glory, Robert had told me proudly. He had procured it with some trouble, spending every last bit of his money--and mine--to purchase it from a rather shady resurrection man. The hand of a hanged criminal--in this case a thief--transformed. There were actually two parts to it: the candle that was made from wax and the fat of that very same criminal, and the hand. The hand was twisted in a gruesome claw, stiff and waxy white, to hold the candle.

Robert handed me the matches. I knew he was not simply offering me the honour of lighting it, he was superstitious to the point of paranoia. The Hand was not just any candle, it was said to be able to render anyone in its path motionless and to open any lock upon which it was shone. Finally, it was said to light the way for the person who lit it, and no one else, and to shield its bearer from view. As I was the smaller and fitter of us two, the terrible deed we were set to commit fell to me. I would light the Hand, and the Hand would light my nefarious path: into Sir Gregory Percy's home, and out with his wife's jewels. With luck, the corpulent Lord wouldn't even awaken.

I hesitated. "I don't know," I said, not for the first time. "This doesn't feel right."

"This is our ticket," he told me, his eyes black as coal in his sunken face. "Our ticket to something better. Think of Lucy."

Think of her I did. Most hours of most days I thought of my sister and her small children, barely surviving. Mudlarks and scavengers, every week getting thinner and weaker, their clothing more threadbare and tattered.

I lit the Hand.

At first there didn't seem to be anything different, the flame caught the wick and crept down to the wax in which it was embedded. Then a thin ribbon of pale blue smoke curled up from hand and I smelled it. The smell of...evil.

Not big evils, mind you. Not war or pestilence or famine. It was the smell of smaller, petty evils. The smell of theft, of deceit, of confidence games. Beeswax mixed with smoke mixed with...leather? Definitely leather. Something spicy floated through the mix, almost sharp in its bite. Like pickling spice, maybe. And something sweet underneath, like a woman's perfume. It was a pleasant smell, intoxicating. After a moment the beeswax and the leather came to the forefront, and I knew that scent would stay with me as long as I held the Hand. The sharpness stayed in the background, a perfect compliment to the strange sensation I was feeling.

I liked the smell. I liked the Hand. I gazed up at Sir Gregory's house, just visible through a line of trees that hid it from the street.

"It worked!" Robert was squealing beside me. "It worked! Where are you, mate? Where'd you go?" His voice had an edge of worry to it and he was craning his head to and fro, searching for a sign from me. It had worked, I had disappeared from his sight.

I smiled slowly in the darkness, the leather and beeswax still deliciously tickling my nose, and started across the street.

Edited by galleywest

First off, I get the smell of the dry leather, dusty and cracking. Nutmeg makes an interesting and subtle appearance as well.

Then...definite notes of beeswax and a very smoky smelling sandalwood mixed with some woodsy note that has to be the oak bark.

I don't know what saltpeter smells like, and I don't get any pepper, but that's ok.

There is a hint of floral undertone to this, which I think is a combination of the beeswax and sandalwood.

This is a smoky, incensey, warm scent that is perfect for warm-weather wear. It is very Egyptian smelling to my nose, if that makes any sense.

I am so creeped out by the whole Hand of Glory connotation that I don't know how often I would actually wear this, as much as I like the scent.

So it's probably good I only got a decant of it, which I will definitely wear.

This might be among my favorites from Act V. It's all beeswax at first, but it quickly gives way to a touch of dry leather. The leather is subtle in comparison to the beeswax but the two meld together in a truly unique way. In the background, there is almost a touch of smokiness. The woods add a nice base and I really love the way the nutmeg sort of gives this blend a nice roundness.

This has a long wear length and average throw. The beeswax and leather together is seriously amazing and I can't express that enough. Also, for those that liked Pumpkin Smash, you might want to check this one out. :P

It starts off as beeswax with a background wood note - I assume that's the oak bark.

As it dries, the beeswax still predominates but some smoky and leather notes are surfacing. I don't get any nutmeg, and just the barest hint of something that might be saltpeter.

I love this scent. I'm associating this with Harry Potter in my mind, since the Hand of Glory was mentioned in the books.

The throw is average, but it's lasting a long time.

I think I'll get a bottle. Or two.

Edited by indybear

Oh so lovely. It smells like someone just blew out the candles on the devil's birthday cake! :P

yes. exactly like that.

nom nom nom :D

this is absolutely fantastic. sorry if this isn't extremely helpful but i feel like i am obligated to make a review, as i haven't been this excited over a scent in a long time. i really get the beeswax, the leather (reminds me of the leather in bow & crown a little), the nutmeg... and the oak bark?! for some reason the oak really stands out to me. all together it's sweet, and a little smoky - i wonder what it is exactly that's doing that. i don't know, but it's great. could just be on me, but it does come off a little masculine, tho i wouldn't throw it in that category specifically - i'll have to get agnusdei to try it, too, which won't be hard since she loves beeswax.

it is very reminiscent of it's inspiration (which is actually another reason i wanted it! ooo. don't get me started on how much i love the wunderkammer artwork.) i'm not creeped out by it at all, though i do agree that there is something about it that makes it absolutely diabolical. maybe i just like smelling creepy - we have a little running joke that i always end up liking the ones that are supposed to be 'evil' or just a little bit deranged, lol. and so here i am :D

i am so, SO glad i swapped for a bottle of this instead of waiting (sup hackess!)

yep. going to be needing several more before it woefully goes away 4ever :'(

My boyfriend got Hand of Glory for himself, but the notes appealed to me as well so of course I have to give it a test too. :P

I get the beeswax the strongest, followed by the leather, sandalwood, & oak bark. The beeswax is wonderfully lush, so thick & creamy that it almost goes a little vanilla-like after a few minutes of wear. Behind it, the other notes mingle together in dry, smoky wisps. I'm finding this scent kind of difficult to describe, but what I do know for certain is that it's a perfect representation of its concept. There is definitely a feeling of having just blown out a candle - it's a little waxy, a hint of something charred, all hidden in a haze of smoke from a just-extinguished flame. You can practically see the ancient cracked leather of the hand, the smooth, almost dusty scent of sandalwood caked into its creases, & the strangely sweet allure of the flickering fingertips. After an hour ot two of wear the sweetness of the beeswax lessens a bit & the smoke becomes just a touch powdery, making the whole scent more subdued & slightly creamy. Altogether beautifully executed & intoxicating.

Mmm goes on like sweet, honeyed sandalwood. The leather is remarkably restrained in this scent - I get it, but it's more a sandalwood scent than a leather one, which doesn't usually happen with me and leather.

ON ME this scent is like the male cousin of MB Underpants. It has the same sweet sandalwood on me, but instead of the sugary saffron, this has a leather base. If you are a fan at all of sandalwood, definitely try this scent - it's a beautiful sandalwood scent, not too complicated and the sandalwood is front and center. Love this one!

I just don't know how to describe this. It fits the inspiration so perfectly - a desiccated hand, yellowed and rough with sinew, dripping wax, and the sulfuric stench of a lit match... The bark note is dead on. Independently of reading the notes, I was thinking that I smelled bark. Indeed! It grows smokier after a few minutes. The hand, full of unholy mischief, does more than light the way; somehow, a fire starts. Parchment and dry leaves go up in flame; black ashes and soot scatter.

Several hours later, the smoke and decay are gone, leaving behind a soft, mellow beeswax.

This is an eerie, disquieting scent and quite an experience to follow through its various stages.

Edited by suileach

In The Bottle

I get vanilla in the bottle with a dry kick

On Application

Beeswax and musky vanilla. I am going to love this!

Dry Down

The woods start to emerge giving this a slightly more resinous and dry feeling. This smells like our local museum....creepy. :D I get occasional kicks of black pepper (black pepper is one of my favourite oils). I have been trying to pin something down in this and have just got the incense and charred wood. Sarada mentioned the smell of birthday cake candles that have been just blown out. :P I think that is a great image which works for this scent. I adore this already.

Rating (0-5)

In the vial: First impression? BBQ corn nuts. I think I'm just overwhelmed by the smokey quality. :P

Wet: Woah wood smoke and leather. Dry woods burning in a stove. Very masculine and leather leather leather!

Dry: For those who want to try everything peppery, this is a good choice. It turns out I'm not as into wood smoke as I thought I would be. But it's interesting and I can imagine a lot of men would love this. As it dries the smoke overcomes the leather. If my husband ever wore bpal (other than on my birthday) I'd get this for him. It's reminding me a bit of Aries, but I think that's because of the pepper.

The beeswax smells so coconutty in this blend! That's what I'm smelling predominantly. Then something that must be saltpeter...dusty, salty...and an herbal/woody undertone...and does that smell aquatic? This is like sunbathing at a forest lake...a strange combination that is surprisingly refreshing and intriguing.

I'm with VioletChaos - Hand of Glory is very similar to the Antikythera Mechanism, but with less sweetness & more smoke... The leather made me a bit apprehensive, but I needn't have worried - it's old, worn leather, not fresh leather jacket, and adds a utilitarian edge to what could be a thick, overpowering scent. The nutmeg peeks out, a bit citrusy, almost. Up close, I can discern the various elements, but the throw is amazing - subtle & well-blended, but pervasive, vaguely sinister in it's sweet smokiness. If you brushed by someone who smelled like this, your pulse would jump just a bit, and you'd wonder what the hell they've been up to... A fantastic interpretation of the subject, and galleywest absolutely nailed it in her review - Hand of Glory is the scent of mischief, sly & sinister.

There is a waxy-metallic smell in the imp that is unappealing. However, people have promised it smells like Antikythera Mechanism, which I love.

Wet: The plastic waxy smell is all I get. Yeach.

Dry down: This is reminding me more of a smokey/woody Love's Philosophy. But that wax note is driving me nuts.

Sadly, this one is just not for me.

In bottle: Surprisingly sweet. The beeswax/sandlewood with the sharper elements creates a really surprising effect. It makes me think of Napoleonic era soldiers. If Sharpe of Sharpe’s Rifles had a scent, I bet it would be this. Wet: The leather goes a little shoe polishy at first, but it all quickly settles into a bold, masculine scent, peppery and fierce. I imagine the soldier’s kit: wood trunk, gunpowder, and leather. This is also the strongest pepper I’ve smelled so far in an oil. As I wear it, it picks up my natural musk and creates an incredibly sexy scent ghost of that infantryman. I can’t stop sniffing this. Dry: Leather, sandalwood, and pepper last longest, leaving a pleasingly masculine residue long after the more delicate elements fade. I think I’m in love.

When I first put on Hand of Glory, I first get a sort of smooth, creamy smell, the notes of which I can't identify, but perhaps it the beeswax? It's really very pleasant. As soon as the drydown begins, the leather comes out, and for the most part, it's sort of a creamy-leathery blend on me, without any sort of heat or smokiness. It's comfortable worn-in old leather, not brand new leather, and despite the "Hand of Glory" folklore, I don't viscerally get that image from the scent. I think the sandalwood is working very hard in the background to make this scent what it is, but it doesn't come out on its own in the blend. It doesn't have much throw, but does last a really long time...I initially applied at 8:30 this morning, with a touchup at 12:30, and now at 10:30, I can still smell it. However, I took a nap, and when I woke up, it doesn't smell like leather anymore. Now it smells exactly like the unburnt cocoa candle that my grandmother had in a tin from Hershey Park, purchased sometime within the last forty years, and with a tiny bit more throw than when I first went to sleep. It's not entirely what I expected, but it's lovely.

ETA: I did yoga last night, and went to bed at about 3:00, and now at 11:02 a.m., the back of my wrist is still sort of cocoa-y, and the inside of my elbow, which I checked before sleeping, is still kind of pepper-y. Very long lasting!

Edited by GingerGunlock

This turned ultra-powdery on me, in the worst way. It reminded me of one of the Dogs Playing Poker scents, His Station With 4 Aces I think? The one with lilac (which doesn't make sense, since I don't think they have any notes in common). I like some leather scents but unfortunately not this one. I tried it twice just to be sure. I really don't smell the leather, pepper, or sandalwood, as far as I can tell. All I can smell is powdery, flowery sharpness. Not a winner for me!

Got this from a decant circle from Shackjj

Imp: Wax and leather, and with a 2nd sniff the

salt peter comes in. (being a witch I recognize that SP scenting.)

Wet On Me: Leather first, then the wax and then the

salt peter and then the barest hint of nutmeg.

Drying Down: Sweetness over leather and salt peter

already nose wants to attach to wrist :P

Dry: This is warmth, this is something that makes me

want to just snuggle into this. The sandalwood is finally coming to

play, but I'm not detecting any black pepper in this. This is sweet

and old and woody and leathery and lovely. This is your grandfather's

favorite old sweater you swipe and wrap around you on a rainy day.

Throw/Stay: Throw is personal but the stay is forever!

I'll need a bottle of this before it goes away.

I was expecting a very different scent here, with the salt peter and pepper...but it is amazingly gorgeous. I love the imagery and the deep, rich, smoky sweetness that lasts and lasts, all through the night and half the next day. There isn't much to add to all of the descriptive reviews above. Whoever noted that if you caught a whiff of this on someone walking by you would be completely intrigued by them is right on. I'm intrigued by myself! I layered this with Snake Oil to try and boost the throw and that is some golden shiznit right there.

Wet, it smelled like smoke...then pepper...then spicy beeswax.

Drying, spicy peppery leather and wood, sweetened by beeswax.

*crosses her fingers that more than just the leather and wood will survive the drydown*

Dry, it is leather. Nice leather, but, mostly leather. I liked all the stages to get here, though, and on some leather blends I don't.

Wet, it smells medicinal to me. Rather sharp.

But when it's drying.... oooooooh, nice. Definitely spicy, but that's a very sexy leather in there. The beeswax is what makes this interesting, I think. Without it, this scent might be a little too far in the spicy direction for my liking, but with the beeswax there's a thickness to the scent. It smells a little bit heavy. Leather, beeswax, and kind of raw, gritty spices.

This just gets better and better the longer I have it on. Wow.

I bought this decant for the illustration and on a dare of sorts to force myself to learn more about my beloved bpal!!!!!!! This was a very interesting scent. Wet from decant: Beeswax! Wet on skin: Beeswax pepper soap! Drydown on skin: Beeswax pepper soap perfume! I think an older relative of mine had a scent like this while she was alive. I wasn't a fan then and I am not now, :P but at least I tried!!!! :D