Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
galleywest

Shrunken Heads

Appalling that they seem to watch me as I sketch, even through eyes sewn shut.

Leather tanned with the pulp of Amazon ferns and rainforest herbs.

Excerpt from Sir Mallory McTavit's expedition journals:

March 11, 1903.
Our travels into the Amazon basin have been quite a success thus far, despite a few setbacks. Linders was bitten by some sort of large beetle yesterday, whereupon he promptly turned purple and died. I feel certain, however, that he would be happy to know that we caught the beastly thing and, as its a completely new species, will name it after him.

The other slight problem is that many of the guides are refusing to go deeper into the forests with us. They claim that if we continue we will lose our tsantsa. Well, I don't know what that is but I can't very well go back to the Linnean Society and say "sorry chaps, I would have explored more but I was scared I would misplace my tsantsa." I'd be laughed out of the club, I daresay.

There are drums in the distance, though...not unpleasant, but the guides seem to be quite anxious. Oh well, off to bed.

March 14, 1903
Well I say! The guides have gone missing! Damned buggers up and went in the middle of the night without so much as a by-your-leave! Most inconvenient. I think the drumming in the distance has been bothering them a bit, and to be fair one or two of them may have somehow disappeared as we've been making our way further into the jungle. Still, it's a terrible bother.

March 16, 1903
The Shuar Tribe--at least I think that's their name--have finally shown themselves. They're the blighters who've been percussioning for the past week. I must say, I don't see what all the fuss is about. They certainly don't look dangerous, although some of their jewelery and decoration is...interesting. I'm not sure but I think they're the skulls of some kind of little animals...

There is a break in the handwriting here, then later on the page:

My god! Gods in heaven! They're human! They're HUMAN SKULLS! We must escape, escape tonight. Damn their eyes, they'll not get my noggin!

March 18, 1903
The drums...the drums...won't stop. They never stop. Night and day, they go on. We can't escape--they've drawn some kind of curse around this camp we cannot break through.

The Shuar have presented us with tsantsa, so we have finally learned its meaning. The tsantsa are the grotesque shrunken heads of their enemies. I recognize some of them as our hapless forest guides. The scent...the scent of the shrunken heads follows me...haunts me...the camp is laden with it. Funnily enough, despite being something horrific in actuality, the scent is not unpleasant.

When the process first begins, in the wet stages I smell the smoke of the campfire mixed with soft, tanned leather. Whatever herbs they use to preserve their monstrous creations smell ever-so-slightly medicinal and green, very fresh. One would expect it to be too strong to fathom, but the scent is actually quite light...light, green, and smoky. There's nothing sweet about it, just a genuine scent of the forest.

As the heads begin to dry, the smoky scent of the leather takes over, though I still smell the herbs and greenery underneath. I try to focus on the lingering, sharp herbal scent to take my mind off of the horrors that surround me.

Whatever shall become of me? Oh no--they're just outside my hut...and the drums, the drums have started again...

...Here the journal ends.

You will be pleased to know, dear reader, that the very scent Sir Mallory described is now available to you from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab--and without all the ghastly muss, I might add. If you are a fan of The Bow and the Crown of Conquest or Allison Gross (the underlying herbal smell is reminiscent of this) or are looking for a leather/smoky scent that's not overpowering but not sweet either, then perhaps you will enjoy this lovely creation. The tropical forestry is certainly evident in it, as are the herbs and leathers. Delightful! And think of poor Sir Mallory when you wear it.

This is a really, really beautiful leather blend. The leather is unlike any other leather blend that I can think of. Instead of being a sultry and strong leather, it is instead a smooth, papery, pale leather that is more subdued and yet still quintessentially leather. I really can't get enough of it. Beyond that, there is a touch of palm and greenery that evokes images of moist rainforest foliage. The moistness is there for that part of it and it really counters the dryness of the tanned leather. Lovely, warm throw and long wear-length.

Shrunken Heads is nothing like I expected -- I thought I knew the lab's leather note(s) well but this is much different and less, well, leathery than I anticipated!

If I didn't have a description to go by I'd even guess that a main note had been a green cedarwood or green sandalwood -- something deep and woody, but at the same time tart, fresh and wet. I imagine putting a green chunk of cedar on a fire and enjoying this combination of smoky wood and damp herbal greenery -- heads have never smelled so lovely!

Damp, sun-warmed herbs, trees and a comforting, smoky warmth with a hint of darkest leather -- far more woodsy and green than I even dared to hope. I should love to wear it in a little shrunken head locket around my neck on a leather cord. I do believe I'll place it in my top five from the Wunderkammer.

There were two of them and one of me…I should’ve known then there was no hope.

Like yin and yang.

Or opposite twins.

Maybe Jekyll and Hyde.

Oh woe is me.

Yes, take my two favorite men…my lusts total…De Sade & Cathedral. And smash them together like a mosh pit. This is something similar. But not smoky like Master De Sade. Sweet, evil, warm like the indent of her arm, the back of her knee, the crack of a whip.

Why do these certain scents from the labs of BPAL make me want to bang hammers?

Why do they bring out the wicked wench?

Bring that tingle to my soul.

Oh hell, why ask why. Just slather it on me! Watch my eyes roll.

Edited by LuvMuskHunySukl

Shrunken Heads is scent deja vous for me - I've smelled this in a different BPAL scent but cannot put my finger on it. It's so similar to something else... maybe something I own even? But what? I can't remember!

The leather is pleasant in this but really takes a back seat to the green, slightly sweet scent here - it's not as sickly green like Manila was on me, but instead is rich and deep and robust. I just can't describe this one any other way - it seems so appropriate for the idea though!

This smells like a really REALLY nice new purse... its literally perfumed leather

Leather that's been handled - lovingly - by men and women who don only the best scents, lotions, soaps, etc.

VERY gender-neutral...

I love this and its quite feminine... of a sort... on me... but I also want to douse the husband in it (and then proceed to do VERY unladylike things to him which have nothing to do with "shrunken heads" at all :P ...)

In fact... that may be my evenings entertainment... thanks, Beth, for another great aphrodisiac... uh... I mean scent!!

DAMN... I was going to end there... and go to work... but I CANNOT STOP SNIFFING MY WRISTS...

In The Bottle

Menthol/eucalyptus wet and dewy

On Application

Wow. Leather and fresh broken green stems

Dry Down

The leather is really beautiful and accompanied by sappy wetness, not pine sap but green ferny sap. This gradually turns sweeter while still retaining it's fresh qualities. This is a really delicate and masterful blend. I'm glad I got a bottle before the carnival leaves town. :P

Rating (0-5)

The first thing I thought opening the bottle..."How can Shrunken Heads smell this sexy?" :P But they do. It's all leather, and notes that smell like they SHOULD be in men's aftershave, but usually aren't. Is that confusing? This is like...the way you'd imagine Holy Grail's Indy smelling. A hot adventurer's blend.

And yet, it's not TOO masculine. I can imagine this smelling good on a female adventurer-type as well. This is the blend that makes you want to take on the world...and who knows, it just might be your day :D.

In bottle: Sweet, leathery and herbal, deeply evocative of both dead desiccated things and the deep green. It’s vaguely chemical, but not unpleasantly so. Wet: Soft on the skin: crushed ferns, herbalist shop, leather. There is a richness despite the understated effect, a door opening onto a jungle as much sensed as smelled. My shin rather swallows it. However, the leather/herb combo is a good one and I rather like it. It’s unusual, even for a BPAL. Dry: Leather stays stongest, but the deliciously tingly herbs linger on.

Another decant from Shackjj

Imp: Green! Green with leather threatening

to pop out!

Wet On Me: Green leather. I can't stop sniffing on this!

Drying Down: This scent reminds me of my local Renn

Faire. All that green...all those men in leather!

Dry: FAB. U. LOUS! This would be amazing on guys too!

This is green leather love for me.

Throw/Stay: Throw is good but stay is better.

This is what I imagine my lair to smell like...now must buy and hoard many bottles

Wet, this is greenery and leather. Very leafy, very leathery.

Drying, the greenery steps back, and now it might be just the pulpy ferns and herbs used to tan the leather.

Dry, there's a smoky note that has appeared as well. Smoky leather tanned with herbs. Very vivid.

__

My cat jumped in my lap and tried to lick it all off of my arm.

Edited by Aerinha

SHRUNKEN HEADS

In Bottle: Clean and planty

On Skin: Wow, shrunken heads smell good! Who would have known? This scent is very much the feel of the Amazon. I smell tall grasses, lush and green in the humid jungle. Very clean, very alive and very fresh. The leather is deep and heavy… well polished… this is not dusty or dry leather… This leather is brand new and very well taken care of. It is extremely masculine and while it starts bright, quickly takes on a darker side. I love this scent and want my husband to try it for sure. Strong throw and long wearlength.

Hee, the mental image on this one is perfect. As soon as you sniff the scent you can completely imagine a shrunken head. It smells like very sweet leather, but also dried-up because of the herbs. The fern gives it a shady forest kind of feel, and it actually smells quite good with that leather scent.

My husband is so in love with leather scents that whenever I try to wear one I feel like I'm invading his territory, so I probably ought to hand this to him and see how he likes it. :P I know I like it.

No leather, no rainforest herbs, nothing but green pepper! And this is the first time I have had to review a perfume and wash it off. There is something in this that burns the back of my throat! :P I had high hopes for the wunderkammer, it seems that my hopes will have to be dashed for this act! :D

Wow this scent is strong.

In the imp I smell leather.

On the skin the leather is amped, and the herbs underneath give it a very sharp quality. Almost makes me want to sneeze, it's so strong.

Not my kind of scent, even though I normally like leather.

In the bottle: Very nice. Promising leather.

Wet: lovely smokey leather, like my husband's charity shop leather jacket he's had for 13 years.

Dry: I get greenery and leafery and leather and I can almost see those lil heads on sticks through a forest clearing. Then... it goes all adolescent boy's bedroom on me. I smell like a boy who doesn't know how to kiss.

And?... I wish I could wear this. When I sniff up close I get the worn leather sweetness and ferns but the throw is all Lynx awfulness. I'll try it on the hub though.

straight sniff from bottle is slightly sweet leather...

once applied the leather in this blend is gorgeous...not overpowering at all and rather

dusty...combine this with the herbs and this is a stunning perfume :P

Aw, crap. This is gorgeous. And here I was trying to avoid needing to hoard more CD other than Bezoar...can the Wunderkammer become GC please? Please?

Anyhow. Beautiful soft leather, like the leather in Hand of Glory, but with deep green things behind it. There might be some of the palm note from Moai and Caliban in here, something spicy and bright, and a whole heap of other things that I can't parse except to say YUM. Pepper? Cilantro? Green coconut? I'm lost, folks.

Overall, it's disturbingly evocative of a shrunken head. It's also really, really pleasant, though; soft and dusty like most of the Wunderkammer, dark, calm, and totally nonsexual in a good way. Definitely an adventurer's scent.

Interestingly, it's one of the only scents I've had that smelled exactly the same in the bottle and on my skin. Wonder what's up with that.

In the bottle this is very stemmy, green and cool. I detect the leather note, but it just doesn't evoke leather in the usual, sexual way. My skin amps any sweetness to be had, but this scent is drier than Extra Brut Champagne. It dries down to a dusty, crumbling leather satchel in a heap of leafy ferns. This scent is serious...sort of alone, but definitely not "lonely". I wouldn't expect aged leather and lush greens to work, but this is beautiful.

This isn't my favorite leather blend so far, but it's perfect for those wanting to deviate from the spicier leather scents.

Edited by Indig0

Mmm, green leather. It really does smell pulpy without it really ever being in your face. The leather is as close to Dead Man's Hand as I've seen in a while. The green adds just a soft, sweet touch. I quite like it.

In the imp: Holy crap, it's my boyfriend.

On me: Leather, moist at first, then gradually smokier, then the plants come back a little bit, but the throw remains decidedly smoky. Excellent wearlength; I've had this on all day.

It's a very different leather scent from Krampus. Instead of musk, it's strangely both wet and dry thanks to the plants and smoke. I'm not as crazy about the absolute last bit of the drydown, which starts to get a bit like the adventurer put on some inexpensive hair tonic before they shrunk his head. But damn, this is going to be a favorite -- one of the few "smoky" scents I can wear (yes, I'm still mad there's tobacco in The Ifrit), and a fine addition to the Lab's leatherwear. :P

Reading the description (leather + herbs) and the glowing reviews I was sure that this would be a winner.

The first stage was nice-- very herby and almost medicinal (in a good way!). By the time it arrived in the mail I had forgotten what was in it and wondered to myself, "This is what a shrunken head smells like? Weird... I figured it'd smell like leather or something. Oh well." No leather, but so far, so good.

But then it turns into a scent weirdly evocative of cigarette smoke. It's okay, I can handle it, I lived with a heavy smoker for 10+ years and so at first it was a little nostalgic, but after an hour or two it was too much. Disappointing. (I couldn't go into work smelling like that so I covered it up with some Faeu Boulanger.)

I'm baffled... leather usually is a guaranteed homerun on me, as are herbs. Why am I the only one getting an icky smell here? I will try it again (and again) to see if there's any change for the better. :P I really want to like it (because I have a whole bottle of it) so I will hold out hope.

Added after 2 YEARS of aging:

It's hardly changed at all. Put it on, cigarette smoke. Leave it on, cigarette smoke. Some herbal-ness comes out, but its buried under there. This is, I think, the only scent with leather in it in any capacity which hasn't worked for me. The hubby loves leather scents too, so I'll try it on him sometime.

Edited by mazikeen

Shrunken Heads - This is the a dark, brown, and very basic leather scent without much nuance or dimension. For reference, it's darker than Dead Man's Hand but lighter than Spanked. The other notes are drowned out by the leather note and it's actually a fairly faint scent on my skin and doesn't last as long as most leather scents tend to last.

Shrunken Heads doesn't really do anything exciting or appealing on my skin. It's smoky leather with dry herbs. Oddly, I don't get the fresh wetness or green pulp that others have mentioned. I guess I'm not picking up on the 'ferns,' because this is mostly smoky leather on my skin, and I was glad that it didn't have very good staying power on me, lol.

I don't know what is going on in my nose, but this smells sooo familiar to me! It's a sweet leather with....something....else....Is this the 'bamboo pulp' note from Sleepy Moon?

I like it!

3.9 out of 5