Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
flyingpizza

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener

Sassafras, vanilla extract, oak leaf, CO2 butter extract, and onycha.

:::STIMULATING SASSAFRAS STRENGTHENER:::
This time, the Lab's warning for "External use ONLY" came in handy! After applying SSS to the pulse area just on the underside of the forearm, it became Extremely difficult not to swallow it whole! This formula is given to all sorts of self-abusive behaviors! :yum:
SSS is the makings of the BEST Root Beer Float on the planet! EVER! PERIOD!
The Sassafrass has that good, rooty Wintergreeny/Licorice aroma and there is the creamiest cloud of Vanilla froth that encapsulates every mote, starting the inward journey back to when Ghostbusters was NEWLY released on VHS and the entire family gathered around the boob-tube to glut themselves on the supreme post-pizza dessert and hoot at the shenannigans of Bill Murray and company's slapstick incompetence in battling Zool and ectoplasmic ilk...
SSS is supernaturally delicious!
Groovy for Him OR Her...
Is there such a thing as too much BPAL?

My mom used to buy me birch beer and sassafras soda when I was younger. This smells so fantastically like sassafras soda to me! It's effervescent and root beer-y on my skin. Bottle worthy!

It's like bright, buttery cream soda. It started off pretty strong on me today, but I think it's fading faster than it did the last time I wore it. That time, it lasted pretty much all day and made my lab coat smell delicious--this time it's only been a few hours and it's nearly gone.

There's something in it that reminds me of Bastet this time, too, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Anyway, it makes me happy.

So, I had to test this one after having tried the Anti-saloon League.

Compared to the Anti-saloon League, the sassafras in this blend does not fade like the Anti-saloon league. It is quite similar though! Just less of the vanilla and this sassafras is a bit smoother in my opinion. Pretty good. This one is actually quite good and I almost can't decide which I like better.

This was not what I was expecting! I got the imp, then checked the forum and saw that it was pure root beer, so I put off trying it. I'm not a foodie person, and I did not want to smell like sickly sweet root beer all day. But today I was just in the mood for it, so I tried it, and I'm glad I did!

Wet: Definitely root beer, but more herbal and complex. This is very light and not too sweet. I will have to slather, I think. (Just went back to reapply, slather-style. Ah, that's better.) It definitely has that effervescent quality of cream soda.

Dry: As this dries, it gets sweeter, but not sweet like a mouthful of root beer. I mean, I love root beer, but it tastes very sweet and this doesn't smell as sweet as root beer tastes, if that makes sense. It's also funny because I press my nose close to smell my arm, and I don't get much of a scent until I pull away and it gets the back of my nose. Sort of like a dessert that tastes sweeter after you've swallowed it. Also, I get wafts from it without pressing my nose in close. This is very elusive! I love it. :D

Along with the root beer, I'm also getting a bit of vanilla, woods, and general earthiness. Just enough extra stuff to keep it interesting. :) I might be getting a bit of the butter, but I think it does more to cut the sweetness a bit than to make me actually smell like butter.

Overall: Definitely root beer, with the emphasis on the herbal, earthy, bubbly aspects rather than the sugar. I didn't expect to like this, but I really do. I will keep my imp and see how often I use it, but I might break down and get a bottle someday.

This is so delicious that I want to eat my arm. Pure sarsparilla, which fades into a gorgeous vanilla. It's going on my bottle list hard. My one complaint is that it doesn't last nearly as long as I'd like it to. That's why we slather, I guess!

The imp was very rootbeer-ish.

On me it was very aged vanilla with a hint of the rootbeer smell. The vanilla smlled like Dorian does on me but with sassafras instead of the spice.

It lasted several hours.

This is exactly what I hoped for: a true root beer scent. Really good root beer. It's sharper and more herbal in the imp/when freshly applied; it gets sweeter and creamier on me as time goes on, but without losing the edge of the sassafras. It even smells effervescent. I'm not picking up any butter, which is good because that note always worries me.

Completely awesome. This imp might not last long. :heart:

This is very light and fizzy to me. The first couple of sniffs tickled my nose and I sneezed. I'm not familiar with sassafras, but it reminds me of a cream soda-- just a little smoother than a root beer. Nice!

This was like a root beer float on me. More creamy than straight up root beer but has that extra zing that cream soda doesn't have. I love the scent! not sure i want to go walking around smelling like a root beer float though but I'm sure it will come in handy someday. ;)

When I smelled this in the imp, I was struck with happiness. It reminds me of those root beer barrel candies, which I love. Wet on skin, it stays true and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not incredibly sweet; but light and fizzy. As it dries down, my skin smells like a buttery French vanilla ice cream root beer float. I want a bottle of this. Bad.

Edited by mxtine

Rootbeer and men's cologne. Would have preferred more of the former, markedly less of the latter. Sadly, this one's a bust with my skin chemistry...

I tried to get hubby to wear this because he loves sassafras, root beer, and birch beer. He wasn't a huge fan. As comical as it was to watch him sniff & ponder for about 3 hours, he's determined he's only a fan of Tombstone, for himself.

Wet: sassafras, oak leaf and the CO2 butter extract.. nice and strange. Perky bubbly rootbeer with a side of vanilla tea cakes under an oak tree.

Drydown: This is the love phase for me.. butter, sassafras, warm dark vanilla, warm touch of oak and onycha resins. This is richer and deeper than root beer, on my skin. Medicinal feeling (but not smelling) to my senses for sure.

Both myself and my husband tried this on. These were the results!

On me, it smelled only slightly of sassafras. Instead what was amped was a very masculine smell that I can only assume the oak leaf and one of the other components. Not a BAD smell, but far too masculine for a gal like me. Plus, it was completely gone in less than a couple hours.

On my husband, it was a different story. On him, it smells like a delicious, creamy root beer, one whose recipe has been perfected over many generations. Set a mug of that on top of a really nice oak table and that's the scent right there. I could not stop smelling him and while it didn't throw very far, it lasted for hours. Slightly masculine, but not overwhelmingly so like it was on me. Just very, very yummy. We bought the big bottle for him.

Just another testament to the sheer variation in skin chemistry!

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener

On: Lovely sassafras. Mmm...

1.5 hours in: Straight up sassafras. Very pretty.

9.5 hours in: Sweet, lovely sassafras.

Overall: I love this. Definitely bottle-worthy.

In the Vial: My immediate reaction was: "OH WOW." Right off the bat, I think I'll need a bottle of this. The vanilla is strong, but it's so different from regular old vanilla because of how well the other notes blend with it. The sassafras and oak leaf give it a slightly spicy, woodsy, smoky feel. It's a delicious root beer float! I am a little wary of the butter note, though - my skin amps butter like mad.

Wet: It's quite faint on my skin even though I slathered the hell out of this. It's a little sweeter and creamier. And... yes, the butter is coming up now. Please, butter, please do not ruin this blend for me!

Dry: I don't know if it's dry yet because I can't tear my nose away from my wrist to check. IT IS SO GOOD I WANT TO CRY. It's still a sweet, creamy, spicy, woodsy root beer float. I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but the butter is playing nicely so far. This is exactly what Butterbeer should smell like!

An Hour Later: The butter is doing it's "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME I'M BUTTER" thing now, but it hasn't completely taken over, which is probably the best I can hope for with my stupid skin chemistry. It doesn't smell like root beer as much as it did before, but the vanilla is still going strong.

Overall: Despite the butter issue, I'm ordering a bottle of this ASAP. This is unbelievably gorgeous. Other reviewers have mentioned trying it on their men, which I will absolutely do, though I suspect he'll find it too feminine. A pity, because I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off a guy who smelled like this!

ETA: NOOOOOOO! The butter has officially ruined it. I tried applying it to the back of my hand and my chest to see if it fared any better there, but no. The butter wreaks it's rancid vengeance on my hand just as much as my wrist, and the entire blend turns to Givency Pi on my chest - which was my ex's cologne, so I'm not sure I'd want my current boyfriend to wear this after all. FML!

Edited by imaginepageant

This is lovely! Wet, it's pure and strong root beer. While drying, the oak comes out to play and turns it slightly woody, but not overpoweringly. Once dry, the butter note mingles with the sassafrass and turns it into magic on my skin. I don't believe that I'll need a bottle, but I will definitely cherish my imp :)

Like everyone else has said, it smells like root beer. I tried root beer when I visited America and developed a love/hate relationship with it. Sometimes it tasted woody and refreshing, but other times it actually tasted like dishwashing liquid. This scent is exactly the same - it starts off woody and quite manly but soon after all I get is Fairy Liquid. I didn't get any vanilla from this unfortunately.

In the imp: A very nice, spicy scent of buttery vanilla root beer, only the old fashioned kind with a bite (sarsaparilla). I'm unfamiliar with onycha, so I'm not sure if I'm picking that up or not.

On application: The sassafrass comes through much stronger once it's on my skin; not much in the way of butter or vanilla anymore. The throw is very faint, no more than you'd expect to smell if you had a can of A&W on the desk next to you. It does have a foody sort of smell to it, but not the kind that makes me hungry or thirsty, if that makes any sense.

One hour later: At first the scent seemed to strengthen, giving out more of a throw as time passed. The buttery scent returned, lessening the spice of the sassafrass without making it less root-beery. Then eventually it faded again, making it hard to smell even with my nose against my skin. Man, I wish my skin didn't eat all these scents so much.

Final impression: Overall a nice scent, something I would hesitate to call masculine or feminine. Fairly unisex, but at the same time not something I would ordinarily except someone to smell like. I'm sure it would make an excellent atmosphere spray or linen spray, but it doesn't really work as a perfume for me. I'll probably be giving it to maoric next ;P

Mmm creamy root beer in the vial. Sadly, the oak comes out on my skin. Most of the lab's wood notes turn really dry on me. And the butter is just sort of there making things awkward. Too bad, I was hoping for a creamy root beer all the way through.

Like everyone echoed, it's ROOTBEER!! Heavy vanilla rootbeer. It stays very true from imp to dry down. It smells sweet and bubbly. Unfortunately, after 3 hours it turns to candle wax on me. Damn my PH!!!

In the imp: Definitely mostly sassafras, which of course makes my brain go "root beer!" It's mellowed by something else, though.

On skin, wet: Pretty much the same as in the imp. Not sure which note is softening the sassafras, except that it's definitely not the oak leaf.

On skin, dry: Starting to get the impression it's the butter doing the mellowing, and not the vanilla, but it's subtle. Still mostly sassafras, just with the edge taken off.

After an hour: Definitely the butter is the other note showing up on me, but it never gets strong enough to quite be weird--it just lends a warmer, rounder sort of note to the dominant sassafras. I like this one a lot!

Creamy silky fizzy golden sassafras. Sweet but not too sweet, with hints of ginger and vanilla. Refreshing and relaxing at once. Tasty without feeling like I'm wearing my lunch. Lends itself to many moods, from soggy grey days to lazing in the sun. I need more of this!