Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

Morocco, where have you been all my life?!? This is absolutely GORGEOUS. Spicy without being sharp. This is exactly what I picture Morocco to smell like in the eveningon a summer night.

I am a bellydancer (part time, heh!) and I'm pretty sure this is going to be my go to scent for performances! I have a show on Sunday & I can't wait to wear this for the show!

I was surprised by this - I was expecting it to be quite heavy on the spice and resiny notes, kind of like Scherezade. Instead, this is really floral on me. Exotic and pretty, but not all all what I imagined. I do like it, but if I smelled it not knowing it was called Morocco it would certainly not have conjured up that image in my head. Could be just my chemistry I suppose.

Wet: spicy and musky and a little sweet

Dry: Dries to a weird spice that overpowers everything. Grr. Carnation!

In the vial: Nothing but warm musk. Hm.

On the skin: I'm getting spices and musk, and whiff of sandalwood but the carnation is making this all sour on me. Dang. It's actually lovely, probably does evoke mental images of Morocco, but I'm not sure I'll keep it.

I'm starting to think BPAL vanilla* is just too sweet for me. This and Dorian are similar in that they're almost cotton-candy-like in their sweetness. I get a little of the sandalwood too, but no spice or carnation - I'll try it again, perhaps elsewhere than my wrists, but this might not be a keeper.

*If this is vanilla. Not listed in the notes, but everyone else seems to be getting it, and musk has worked just fine on me in other blends.

Warm, smoky and sweet - it's the scent of a spice market built on scorched sand.

Now it seems that red sandalwood and warm musks really love me, and I love them! I got an imp of this because the blend of notes seemed to be perfect for me, and I was right.

The second I put this on my wrist and took my first whiff, I closed my eyes and immediately saw a busy bazaar, walking around and seeing lamps, carpets, and bags of spices and nuts. It brought to mind an oooold memory of walking around a bazaar with my mother and looking at jewelry. It's not a static scent; each time I could smell a hint of something new. One minute it was pure musk, the next I could smell some saffron, later on I could smell the sandalwood and it kept changing after that which I love. I actually didn't smell any carnation while I had it on, though there was the sweetness of vanilla that wasn't too sugary but was like vanilla bean.

The only downside of this for me is that it just doesn't seem to last more than 1 hour on my skin. I know most people here have mentioned that it lasted a day for them but not for me; terrible considering how much I adore this oil! :(

Morocco is teh gorgeous! I waffled back and forth on this one, but I'm glad I decided to go for it. I get the cozy, comfortable, sweater-like thing rather than an exotic bazaar, and that's fine by me-- I was due for something more subdued. :lol: Once I put it on, I realized what it most reminded me of: Kenzo Amour. I haven't smelled that perfume in years, but I remember a sort of rice pudding, soft musky scent, and that's precisely what I'm getting from Morocco. And I already got complimented on it, so that's a big win. :P It has clearly pretty decent throw, and seems to last for a few hours at pretty decent strength. I can still smell it on my wrist now, 9 hours later, but that's about it. Will be slathering this one a lot in the fall. :wub2:

Morocco

Carnation and warm musky vanilla and spices... I LOVE this one. It reminds me of something expensive and high end, plus it just smells really good! I have a bottle.

This is how I imagine a night in desert in Morocco mixed with the scent coming from the busiest square in Marrakesh, so evocative. Makes me wanna book a flight right this second, one-way ticket, never to come back to real life. Life in an Arabian fairytale is much better.

Soft and warm scent, musk, sandalwood, spice and just a whiff of carnation. :wub2:

Edited by milica

Mmm. Debating a bottle.

Wet: Similar to arabian musk but smoother...where arabian musk is very pungent and hangs in the your nasal cavities, this glides through my nose like very fine incense. There's a sweetness of almond but it actually sticks around instead of disappearing immediately.

Drydown: this makes me realize that red sandalwood is my favorite out of all the sandalwoods. Also, that carnation loves my skin, no matter what form. I smell and feel heavenly. Total brain vacation scent. The cassia just makes the whole thing a touch more intense without sharpness. Love love love.

Arabian spices, red sandalwood, and carnation. Before I even knew which oils were the bestsellers, this already looked like a winner to me based on those three notes alone. There is definitely a creaminess that mingles with the exotic spices. Morocco is so warm and comforting but not fiery and hostile at all. I'll admit that when I first received the imp, I thought it was a bit more 2D than originally anticipated, but after a month, it's getting creamier and warmer. The musk sandalwood ground Morocco beautifully. The carnation peaks through in the background and blends into the spices. Even though it is not my number one favourite, I can see this being a staple. It's supreme comfort in a bottle.

In the imp: Soap and sirupy vanilla with a perfumy undertone

Drying on my skin: This is a very sweet and fluffy scent. At the same time soapy-flowery and cloying sirupy. The combination of carnation and vanilla almost smells like jasmine to me (which unfortunately makes me feel ill). There's a odd perfumy vibe to it.

No spices, no musk, no sandalwood. Where are you??? :huh?:

Throw and staying power: light - medium, 4-5 hours

Colour impression: a fluffy pale yellow

Verdict:

According to the describtion I supposed I would LOVE this scent. But alas...

There is a funny picture coming in my mind while sniffing at my wrist: A very happy giant vanilla marshmallow is walking into the bathroom to take a nice shower. While scrubbing himself with a flowery soap he is singing silly songs...

Funny and cute? Yeah! :lol:

But exotic? Spicy? SEXY???

Unfortunately at least not with my skin chemistry. :cry2:

Inspite of that I will keep the Imp and try it again in a few weeks or months. Hope dies last...

Edited by MissVulpecula

sandalwood. vanilla. musk. spice from the carnation.

It's warm and soft and beautiful. I often like heavier, darker scents but this one is perfect for when I'm in a more snuggly mood or need to be careful about knocking people over with my usual favorites. Same sort of woody, spiced idea that I ususally like - but sweeter and much more mellow.

It kind of makes me feel a little sleepy though, I think I'll also try it as a bedtime scent. Oh! I just realized why. I like to wear Mouse's Long and Sad Tale to bed and the sandalwood and vanilla I think are reminding me a bit of that scent. Yep, it's reminding me of MLST but without the sweet pea and added carnation. ♥

When I smelled Morocco in the imp, I decided that it was the most lovely BPAL scent I have ever smelled. I was in love. :lovestruck: But after that initial love at first sniff, I discovered that after awhile, Morocco becomes very soft and all but disappears on my skin. However! :huh: When I put the oil in my hair, it lasts HOURS! I put it in my hair around 2:30am, went to bed, woke up, etc. and well over 12 hours later, I keep getting occasional whiffs of it! :boogie: This gives me hope for other scents that fade on my skin!

Oh. My. Goodness! This is, this is....SMELLGASMIC. Seriously, it may have just beaten Snake Oil as my favorite!

Mind you, I'm not good at picking out notes, but my impression is that, when wearing Morocco, I'm surrounded on all sides by light, puffy, golden clouds of gentle spice and warm sunshine.

If only it stuck around longer....

10/10!

In the bottle: Hmm, this almost smells vanilla-y, but nicer than vanilla usually comes across for me. I'm used to smelling fakey vanilla in perfumes, which makes me go 'yicch!' There's no vanilla in here, but I still get a whiff of something similar, but it's warmer and much, much more pleasant. Also something... almost nutty? Hmm.

On skin: The much-nicer-than-vanilla is still here, but the nuttiness goes away. I'm definitely smelling the incenses now, and I'm liking what I'm getting. This smells more and more like the incense I used to burn growing up. Yum.

On drydown: The warm vanilla scent is still there, but slightly mellowed. The incenses have definitely stuck around, which I love. This is reminding me of being a teenager, listening to public radio and songs from the height of flower power (I was a weird kid, what can I say) while writing up a storm. This isn't overpowering on me, but it's still detectable. I wore it to work today, and had a very pleasant whiff of incensey, vanilla-y loveliness around me the whole time.

This is a keeper. There may be a bottle in my future, too. :)

I scored a two year aged bottle off of the forums and I looooove it. Its not quie as spicy as I hoped but it is exoctic and lovely. Every 20 mins DH was saying something about how good I smelled!

Winner!

I was expecting a dry, incensy blend, and Morocco delivers that while still in the wet stage. After about 10 minutes, I began to smell a sweet candy smell wafting around me. I finally figured out it was Morocco on the drydown. Morocco is candy sweet and very foody on me in its last stages. It smells a bit like nougat. It is not quite what I was expecting.

I'm excited I finally have an imp of Morocco to review. It's one of those BPAL classics, but I have a rocky history with cassia/spice notes so I just figured I'd wait until one floated by. When I heard of the comparisons to Hod, I put it on my wish list.

In the decant, I get almost nothing. It's a little carnation-spicy/sweet/incensey, but just barely. On my skin, it's no different. I can see the comparisons to Hod, but Hod is stronger and creamier and just fabulous, and this, well, there's nothing to it. Where's the red sandalwood? :cry2: I really think this would be better aged. I can tell I'd love this in it's full glory, so I plan to hunt down an aged bottle.

Why O why does this smell like plastic vanilla, on me? No spice, no woods, no musk, just icky plastic vanilla. :(

Will retest at a later date.

Retest: Oh boy, what a difference temperature makes! When I first tested this, the weather was cool breezy and dry.

But tonight, the air is sultry and warm, and wow, this scent needs warmth to develop on my skin.

It is indeed gorgeous. Soft. I now smell a salty musky vanilla, sandalwood, some very soft and subtle spices.

Beautiful. The scent is not a heavy hitter, though, it is a skin scent, which is even better.

Perfection.

Edited by TastyMischief

Oh, wow. It starts off sweet and almost creamy, which I usually shy away from because I don't dig gourmand scents. On the dry-down, more of the spiciness pokes through and makes it gorgeous. (And sexy as hell.) It's the first mideast/oriental-type blend that doesn't leave me feeling like I've got someone else's perfume rubbed off on me.

My only nitpick is that I'd love more carnation in the blend, but as is, I definitely want to get a bottle. Eventually, anyway. I want to slather it on, but my (lab-fresh) imp is only about 2/3 full to start with. <_< Ah, well. It's a special-occasion scent, I guess.

Morocco smells nice, i think. I can hardly smell it at all, and then it dissapears completely. Where did it go? Strange. I reapply, it's subtle to start, and then again, 'poof' it's gone without a trace.

Is my nose broken? Am i congested? Why does this one smell 'invisible' to me? :P

I asked my fiancé to smell me, and he says it smells great... in fact, it's his FAVOURITE Bpal on me so far. So i sniff myself again. Nothing there. I burry my face in my arm and inhale deeply. I think maybe i smell something, but it smells like it was applied 24 hrs ago and it's so faint i wonder if i'm just imagining it.

SO. MUCH. THIS. I've been huffing my wrist intermittently for a few hours, and I'm only getting the smallest bit of musk and carnation. Where are the spices? Where's the sandalwood? :cry2: (I must be too used to the heavier scents - I'll save Morocco for layering, or for super-hot days this summer)

In the imp, I mostly smell spicy carnation. Freshly applied, I can tell there are a lot of different warm spices here, but I don't know exactly what they are. Mostly saffron? I am definitely still getting carnation, too.

At first, my nose interprets and tells me I smell like a spice cookie. Something in here I’m reading as creamy, vanilla? As it dries further the sandalwood tones down the foody sweetness, and carnation amps, adding a whopping hit of floral to the spice. The warm musk makes it feel fuzzy and like… powerfully spicy swarthy skin. There’s a raisiny hint to the spice that gives it this booming, almost overwhelming sensuality.

Verdict: I like the scent of Morocco, but it doesn’t feel like “me.” It feels bigger, more brunette, and more buxom. The more I sniff it the more it feels like I had an elementary school teacher or someone who smelled like this in my past, because it triggers a strong but vague scent memory (so YMMV), making me feel small in comparison to it--and as though it is wearing me, not the other way around. :huh?: