Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

In the vial: a pleasant mix of pine and herbs.

On my skin wet: lots of pine with a hint of rosewood and juniper.

Still wet: now its morphed into something warmer with more rosewood, maybe the vanilla is coming through.

Dry on my skin: heavy on the vanilla with hints of rosewood and pine.

An hour later: heavy cloying vanilla with rosewood and a tiny hint of pine.

Overall impression: I love the woods but dislike the vanilla. I've been told however that to others it smells great on me. Still not one of my favorites.

Imp's almost spent and I'm super sad. Definitely need a bottle. Occurs to me that mebbe I should review it. :)

When I first tried this, I though it stunk to highest heaven. TOO sharp, TOO sweet. When I got around to trying it again, I had learned of my love of pine and the wonder of a good vanilla. And that's what this smells like (that and Dorian's way hornier cousin come into town to cause sexy sexy trouble while Dorian stammers and attempts to come up w/ some excuse for GP's totally inapprop behavior). Starts off with a MEGA blast of vanilla pine, and then dries down to a somewhat more gentlemanly but roguish vanilla pine. Super sweet, but devilishly handsome. I would swoon if my man would wear this, but he's not into wearing smells (boo) so I'll just have to swoon over myself. It's a "masculine" scent, possibly, but it's so sweet that I think it can play the field.

Again, need a bottle!

This is not one I would normally be drawn to, juniper, rosewood and pine are all iffy for me. I tried it on and felt kind of Meh about it. The pine was a bit too much for me. I like "masculine" scents but this one just didn't ring my bell. On my partner though this is super fantastic vanilla in the forest goodness. I don't have a lot of bpal friends around to experience scents with different skin chemistry but this time it's a really amazing how differently this smells on each of us.

ETA - I must have been having an off day when I tested this before. This is actually fantastic on me and now I need to get a bottle for myself too. When my partner wears this scent I notice the most wonderful woodsy vanilla cloud around him. Since it's hard to detect the cloud effect when I'm the one wearing perfume I don't know if that happens when I wear it or not, but I have noticed that it's much more of a foresty vanilla than I initially thought. I got a bottle for him and now I have one on the way for myself. I'm totally in love with this scent. Happily it doesn't go powdery on either one of us, and we both do have issues with that sometimes.

Edited by strahlend

Golden Priapus

Note: I used to wear this all the time and was planing on getting a bottle, but apparently never reviewed it. Weird.

On: Wow. I'm hit with juniper and pine right away, but the sweet vanilla and amber are really the base of this blend for me.

Half an hour in: Almost boozy vanilla and amber with a "masculine" (for want of a better word) feel in the background.

1 hour in: This is so amazing. Powdery amber with vanilla.

1.5 hours in: Amazing. Just amazing. Sweet and golden.

2 hours in: I am in love with this. Why haven't I been wearing this more often? More importantly, how do I not have a bottle yet?

2.5 hours in: Powdery and sweet.

Overall: Yeah, I definitely need a bottle of this.

I love rosewood, amber, and vanilla. I like pine very much. Juniper and I don't get along. Guess which one I amp when I apply GP? Yep, juniper with just a hint of amber. No good.

Wet: amping juniper as usual. That's not a bad thing. I also smell a decent amount of vanilla and amber. Pine is there for the 1st few minutes then slips behind the vanilla and amber (surprising!)

Drydown: herbal evergreen vanilla and amber. I always forget how nice rosewood is. This is a wonderful masculine to gender-neutral vanilla. My hubby will like this one... he's a dedicated tombstone fan.

Hmm-I am so curious about this blend-I love vanilla, juniper is hit or miss, pine/woods are sort of meh, and amber is HUGELY hit or miss because sometimes it just goes straight powdery on me.

In the imp this smells very nice and very much what I would expect-sweet but not too sweet vanilla, juniper, and a touch of pine. Sort of a sexy vanilla xmas tree? :lol:

Yep, on my skin this is a DELICIOUS vanilla, mixed with just the right amount of juniper and pine. Not really getting rosewood and definitely don't notice amber...will have to see if this goes powdery on me. This really smells great through...sweet vanilla/juniper goodness. I think it sort of ended up reminding me a little bit of a juniper-y version of Love's Philosophy without the sassafras. Very very yummy. If I didn't already have a lot of vanilla blends I could see grabbing a bottle of this. It actually never turned into sweet powdery doom, which is awesome. A wonderful vanilla GC blend that could work on a man or a woman.

In the Vial: Very wet, green, and cold. I'm definitely getting the pine, but what this really reminds me of is the vegetable aisle of a supermarket: green beans, lettuce, parsley, and all manner of green vegetables and fresh herbs. Where on earth is the vanilla, and the amber?

Wet: My skin warms it up, and it gets darker and murkier, but... it's still largely vegetables.

Dry: I think the vanilla is finally making an appearance, because it's getting sweeter. And maybe that's the amber making it spicy. And the pine is getting stronger, and... turning it into bathroom cleaner. But... nicer. Bathroom cleaner with vanilla. This is weird. One minute I hate it, but the next I like it.

An Hour Later: Is this the same blend?! It is nothing at all like it was in the vial, or even wet on my skin. It's now a slightly more masculine version of Snake Oil.

Overall: A very interesting blend and quite nice when it dries, but ultimately not for me.

I wish my hubby and I could switch skin chemistry for this scent!

I had him try it first, since it's supposed to be a masculine scent. Turns out on him the vanilla and amber take center stage. I loved it, but he did not. It was warm, and sweet, and rich. Gorgeous.

Then I put it on my own skin, thinking "If it smelled that good on him, it must smell similar on me!". Unfortunately I was not so lucky. On my skin it was entirely juniper and pine. No hint of sweetness anywhere to be smelled. It smelled almost like a Christmas tree (a live one), which is lovely but isn't what I like to smell like. If it had smelled like that on hubby it would have been a winner!

So we both struck out with Golden Priapus. Off to the swap pile it goes!

I was expecting a sweet woodsy smell from this one. It started off vanilla and pine, very promising, but dried down to play-doh. This is the first blend that's really smelled like play-doh to me. Very strange. :lol:

I love the smell of this one in the bottle. The pine is sharp but balanced with the vanilla. On me though, the vanilla amps crazily and then it all goes to play-dough

I went back for this one at the store. I kept thinking about it, so I figured when it was still there, it was meant for me.

ITB: Pine and juniper, with just the slightest bit of sweetness.

Wet: More juniper than pine, and a bit of amber making the scent sweeter and warmer.

Dry (4+ hours): It's very faint on the skin, but it smells like a slightly vanilla-y beeswax with a very faint juniper undertone. It's warm and lovely on my skin, which is surprising since amber and I usually do not agree.

Score: 4.5/5

I should mention right off, that when I say bottle, I mean imp vial.

In the bottle: STRONG! Clear, astringent(?), sparkley and golden light. Serious amber and white pine. Fresh air, no, more like a strong cool breeze on a hot day. Just a slight hint of juniper as a back note behind the pine.

On the skin: Ah, there’s the rosewood. Rosewood and pine, amber is taking a break at the moment.

Dry: sweet, light, airy, all amber now, no hint of either of the woods.

Much later: now it’s gone all powdery amber on me, much like a scented talcum powder my mother used to have. Very pretty, but not me.

Into the trade pile.

Yum.

On wet, the pine and juniper come out strongest, making for a pine-heavy green scent, with just a hint of something warm and sweet underneath.

Initial drydown: after about five minutes, the pine recedes, and the vanilla and amber come out to play, with the pine scent felt more asan after-taste than anything else. I can see where this would smell amazing on a man, but it's soft enough for me to pull off as well.

Later: This stays primarily vanilla-amber, with the pine undertones. The only thing I could wish for was more of a throw, as this is definitely a skin-scent. In all other respects, this is beautiful. Definitely more cuddly than sexy on me, though.

I'm beginning to suspect that amber and I don't get along. I need some way to cross-reference all the scents I don't like and figure this out.

A forumite was nice enough to let me try this while we were swapping other things.

Wet and as far into the dry-down as I could stand before washing it off, it was an unpleasant mix of Play-Doh and plastic baby doll. Blech.

In the vial: A nice, mellowed out blend with some juniper in the background.

Freshly applied: Wet evergreen needles.

Drying: That's pretty interesting! I think I'm smelling more of the rosewood now? There's still a bit of the "green" smell going on, but it's more in the background.

Later: Definitely rosewood and amber coming out more, with a hint of green from the pine/juniper in the back. All in all really good :)

ETA: Muuuuch later it's still really good. This is going in my "candidates for bottles" list :D

Edited by maoric

I'm conflicted about this scent: I love it, but I also found it less masculine than I was hoping for.

In the bottle, it's very sweet and vanilla-y, with just a slight musk. Wet on my wrist, the pine really leaps out, along with juniper and then the vanilla underneath. The musky and golden notes start to come out after about fifteen minutes. The topnotes fade after a couple of hours, but at that point the sweetness has mellowed, with more amber and not pure vanilla.

Very golden, sweeter than I expected, not remotely as sexy/primal as the name implies, but: damn it's a gorgeous scent on me.

In the bottle – Amber, wood, and some pine, smells like being in a forest where the trees are dripping with sap.

Wet – Same as in the bottle, except the wood notes come out a little bit more

Dry – Amber and sap, mmmmmm, very similar to O, but stickier.

Overall – I got this as a frimp with one of my orders. I'm not a big fan of pine so I was worried that would be overpowering, but it wasn't too bad. If you like O or Bastet (both of which I love) you’ll probably like this, it's basically a more masculine version of O. My skin amps the amber (which I love), but there’s still some lovely musk left over.

I got this because I liked the idea of a sweet evergreen and Tombstone is more rootbeer than cedar on me. It did not disappoint.

The initial impression is of a blast of cologne-like but wearable evergreen, with something softer and a bit powdery underneath - the amber? I'd say it's fairly masculine, but not too testosterone-soaked for a girly-girl like me if she's in the mood for a scent with a bit of an edge.

After the initial blast of evergreen wears off, what sticks around is a subtle sweet vanilla that stays close to the skin.

I couldn't pick out any rosewood in this, which is a bit of a shame because I like Belle Vinu and Ouija, but I mostly bought this for the pine + vanilla combination, so I'm not too disappointed.

It's quite sinus-clearing in the imp. It reminds me of walking in a pine forest, crushing the needles in your hand. Not pine-sol-y at all. Wait. Wait. Now it's going the way of pine-sol. Bleh.

Wet: Sparkly amber and vanilla

Drydown: Creamy vanilla paired with the glow of pale amber and lightly lit by glittering pine and juniper. If I try, I can detect the smoothness of the rosewood in the background acting as an anchor.

Dry: It stays true, but the vanilla skews a bit artificial at times (as per usual with my skin chemistry). Over time the the pine and juniper fade away leaving this as a glowing vanilla.

This is a really nice scent that I can tell would be fabulous on vanilla-loving skin. On my skin I find myself wishing for less vanilla and more pine, but this was rather nice nonetheless.

Edited by BoneBone24

Got this for free w/my 1st order. Definitely a male scent - spicy, with just a touch of vanilla to make it sweeter. I would like this on a man very much ;)

In the imp: A fizzy mix of pine, vanilla and rose.

Wet: Pine with a whirl of sweet notes. Very pretty but rather manly at the same time.

Dry: The pine and vanilla go really nicely together, but alas, a scent with a name that basically means 'shiny erection' ends up being too manly for me! Who'da thunk it?

Edited by whitsunweddings