Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

I got this as a frimp in a swap, and when I sniffed it I thought, "This swapper sure knows my taste!" I've been really into the evergreen scents lately, and in the vial, this is a gorgeous Rocky Mountain scent - all tangy pine and wood. If it stayed that way on my skin, I'd be happy.

Wet, it gets sweeter, kind of like sassafrass, or maybe root beer. I'm not so crazy about this.

Drying down, the wood returns, minus the sharpness of the pine. Then it's a soft, sweet vanilla. I actually like the soft vanilla very much, but I miss the pine!

One trickster of a scent, on me, anyway.

This is a scent I've been curious about for a while, so I'm very glad the lab sent it to me as a frimp with my last order.

I enjoy the pine very much, but unfortunately it's quickly taken over by the amber. My skin loves amber and amps it like crazy - it becomes quite overpowering, and I'm sad to say that amber is not a favorite of mine - to me it's cloying. :P

But ditto to everyone who mentioned this scent being a long-lasting one. It definitely sticks around, for better or for worse depending on your chemistry.

I'll give this one another try, but it's off to swaps or my brother, I think.

There's a little bit of a sweet/medicinal bite to this at the start, but on drydown it turns into an ambery, musky vanilla with a woody background. Delicious! The vanilla seems to have a decent staying power on me, too.

imp: vanilla and pine

wet: pine amps, but not unpleasant at this point.

dry: not bad. Nice and creamy with a little green edge. Later, becomes nothing but a soft (non-powdery) vanilla.

Verdict: I'll keep it.

bottle: heavy pine and juniper with an almost cherryish undertone

wet: very sharp juniper with a warm tone to it, VERY christmas almost smells like pear though.

Drydown: very odd, more of the fruity pear scent now and the juniper has faded to an odd soapy sort of smell I can smell the amber trying to come forward more clearly but it's being drowned out thus far

slightly later: very short throw, a nice non powdery amber/vanilla scent from a little bit away but up close smells like sharp vanilla floor cleaner

several hours later: Golden Priapus mellowed into a very nice vanilla/amber with a bit of woody complexity, enough to go beyond run of the mill but nothing that really rocks my world.

I give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5. I wouldn't mind wearing it, but I don't see myself digging through the imp box to find it. This would make a pretty nice room scent though and might work very nicely on a guy who can wear sweet scents.

In the bottle:

Amber, pine, and... white musk??

Wet:

Vanilla and amber predominantly. Just a slight hint of pine/juniper and rosewood. The vanilla/amber smells incredibly warm.

Dry down on me:

It's a vanilla, but it's an amber/pine/wood vanilla. A little bit exotic, a little bit green.

Dry down on the boy:

My first thought was, "he's not amping the vanilla as much." My next thought was, "this isn't nearly as spicy on him... and it's not even that spicy on me." The vanilla is very subtle. It's a little bit musky on him. The greens and the amber are almost absent.

Final thoughts:

A little bit masculine on me (from the juniper); but it's far less masculine than the other masculine blends I've tried, and I think it's wearable. It's nice. As far as the boy goes, we're undecided. It's good, but doesn't really stand out on him.

On me, this is a gorgeous vanilla with amber and a hint of evergreen. It's sweeter than I was expecting, and it makes me feel all warm and snuggly. I actually bought it for my husband, but it's not as masculine-smelling as I expected, and I think he'd find it too sweet. Still, I'll let him have my imp if he wants it, because a 5ml of this for ME is definitely going into my next order. :P

Golden Priapus starts out with juniper and pine dominating the blend. It smells sort of medicinal and sort of camphor-ish.

As it dries down, my amber-loving skin chemistry amps up the amber to eclipse the juniper and pine. The camphory note is still there, but the golden quality of the amber is the predominant note. I'm not sure if this scent is "me," but I do like it, and I think it would smell even better on a guy.

Then I start getting Play-Doh. :D I don't particularly want to smell like Play-Doh, and I've put way too much on anyway, so I go to wash it off. Big mistake. I apparently washed off all of the notes except Play-Doh. I try to wash my wrist 5 or 6 times with no success, and I don't have any alcohol handy. Still Play-Doh and amping like whoa.

I doubt that I can inspire anyone to any sort of priapism while smelling like Play-Doh. I'm going to end up making all the guys reminisce about their childhoods instead. :P

After I wait out this scent for about 5 hours, it starts wafting O at me. WTF? I do like this final O-ish stage, but if I want to smell like O, I'll just wear O and skip the camphor and the Play-Doh.

Edited by lady_pandora

Oooh. This definitely strikes me as a masculine blend, but I think women could wear it as well. The evergreen notes are strong and brash, but the presence of vanilla lurks in the background, tempering it. As it dries, the pungent evergreen fades a little, but not much. After a while, it becomes an enticing mix of evergreen, smoke, and a smidgen of vanilla. Hours later, it ends up being a gorgeous, musky vanilla. Mmmm.

ive waited so long to try this one, and i wish i hadn't. i love this!! it's the male dorian to me, even though i know dorian is considered gender neutral. it doesn't smells like dorian, but it gives me the same sort of feeling that dorian does for me as female, but in a male way. or something. :P but i like it on myself too. it smells a little bit foody to me- vanilla with an underlying spice, which may be the rosewood and how it's mixing with the other elements? the pine and juniper are very subtle and not overpowering at all. it's sexy but also very comforting to me.

Okay, so I know it is one of the more masculine scents, but I love it and I think I am pretty girly. The vanilla and amber makes the juniper, rosewood and pine slightly sweet. I can’t stop smelling my wrist, this is going on my wish list. :P

I ordered this with a bunch of other imps after missing when Wolf Moon went up, was looking for something similar, before I found it on eBay. And when wet, it smells a lot like my beloved wolf, only sweeter.

And then when it dries, I find out where the sweetness is coming from. It's like Wolf Moon mixed with Snake Oil! Two of my favorite scents, and they combine beautifully! Another one of those days I just can't stop sniffing myself...ahhhh...

The only problem is the name. Golden Priapus...dude. For a guy, it just sounds smarmy. But for a woman? Even just ordering it seems weird. How am I gonna leave a bottle of that stuff out on my desk? I don't know how I'd explain that one to the non-BPAL-initiated. Maybe I'll just peel the label off.

Oddly enough, my imp is missing the little tab on the cap that helps you push it off. It doesn't seem to have broken off, there's just no evidence it was ever there to begin with. Strange.

ETA: This just smells too sweet to be manly, on me. After several hours, the Snake Oil type stuff mostly overpowers the juniper and pine. I'll have to try it on a guy to see what it turns into. I love this stuff.

Edited by roxyhead

In bottle: Juniper is light but the pine dominates. I think the pine is the note I find so disagreeable in #20 Love Oil.

Wet: The pine calms a bit, as I can now smell the amber and just a whiff of the vanilla's sweetness.

Drydown: As it dries, the notes become more harmonious but that pine is still strong, making it the reason why this one will never be a favorite.

Pine and juniper softened with rosewood and a hint of warm vanilla. This is tingling clean and sharp in the bottle, but not overpoweringly so. It's definitely cologne-y, and I have to really sniff at it a minute to detect the vanilla under the yellow pine notes.

This is undoubtedly a man's blend. The amber and vanilla mix with the pine and juniper to form a scent that is pitchy and smooth, rather than high-pitched and cacaphonous. This is a little powdery, all the ingredients are very dry. Pine is definitely forefront, but the vanilla alongside it is a fascinating touch. It adds a personal note, a hint of the flesh, as does the amber.

This is lively to me, most definitely, but not necessarily carnal. It's not sexual-smelling to me at all, it's definitely more toward the "clean" end of things. What sexuality it has is the thoughtless kind.

Masculine, poised, and self-assured, refined but not reserved, and brightly-lit, this is a good cologne-type scent, and would make a good bet for a guy wanting to transition from commercial blends to something a bit more individual.

I failed to read the notes on this before I put it on, and in its defense, I wasn't expecting tree. But yep, I definitely got that evergreen note, and unfortunately it just threw off the whole blend for me. Evergreen isn't automatically bad for me, but I don't care for it in this scent.

this one is getting a slightly more play-doughy nose with age...but that disappears after being on skin for a few minutes.

A lovely and mellow juniper -- with something sweet playing on top, and a solid base of spicy sandalwood. A round and lovely scent.

On Skin: Floral and pine.

After a few minutes, the pine is VERY dominant. It kinda reminds me to Snow Bunny.

On Drydown: It smells very strongly of pine and a hint of juniper.

After thirty minutes, the pine almost disappears and the vanilla and amber come into play. It sort of reminds me to O at the moment in the sweetness + amber sort of way.

On Him: It smells like a berry candle, very sweet. The vanilla comes out on the drydown, but overall, it's too sweet for his taste.

Verdict: This was quite a morpher, going from pine to vanilla in the span of about half an hour. It's a pretty scent, but for pine I have Snow Bunny and for sweet amber I have O, and he doesn't like it much for himself. Alas, our hearts are too full of other BPAL to show this lovely scent the love it needs.

In the imp - Whoa, snake oily with cocoa, like a mild Boomslang.

Wet - Wafts of menthol pine backed by resin sweetness.

Drydown - Menthol/pine note recedes as the resin sweetness takes over. The Snake Oil is coming back with a vengeance with a smoky tang on his tongue!

Wearing - Holy Moly! Creamy, smoked Snake Oil! :P

This might be a masculine oil but they'll have to fight me for it ....

Absolutely gorgeous :D

Note - Tried it on my 18 year old too, who is a die hard Ralph Lauren Polo addict and he was mightily impressed. :D

Wet: Vanilla, amber, and a woody background.

First on: Juniper and amber amp up, and vanilla takes the backseat. The woods are coming out as well.

Dry: I wanted to give this a try, but I have to agree with the description. It is a manly blend, and it's just not really very me. A nice guy blend, though.

This is a lovely scent- it's very "golden", as others have said. It smelt a little antiseptic in the vial- I'm guessing that's the pine- but it's ended up beautiful almost creamy vanilla on my skin. Wonderful!

I have had an imp of this for a couple of months and never really got around to trying it.

WOW am I ever glad I finally dug it out and tried it.

I can smell vanilla, amber and a hint of the white pine. I absolutely love this scent!

Although I'm not sure why it's referred to as a "men's" scent because I'd surely wear this anytime anywhere and can't really picture a man smelling like this.

This one is a definite future bottle order!!

Another one from the imps gifted to me by dawndie! She sent me a few for Bear to try, but of course I had to pre-empt him and try them myself first.

My inital review was slightly biased, my nostrils having been tainted and assaulted by my little brother's Axe body deodorant spray. (I. Hate. That. Shit. He smells like a forty-five year old man in a bar trying to pick me up. He's eleven; he should have the clean "boy" smell, not "smarmy lech.")

However, having cleared it out the room, I will commence.

In the imp: Quite floral. I guess that's the juniper. It does remind me a bit of the Juniper Breezes body spray that Bath and Body Works used to have. I never considered it a masculine floral though and this for the most part smells very girly.

Wet: Hmmm, my nose is getting muddled, but this keeps disappearing on me. Golden Priapus...then skin. Golden Priapus...then skin.

Drydown: All right, Golden Priapus stopped its little foreplay and is getting down and dirty. I can definitely see how this is masculine; dry it started smelling like pine woods with juniper berries crushed underfoot. There's a hint of golden sunshine there, and some sweetness that I guess is the vanilla. YES. A VANILLA THAT DOESN'T SMELL "FOODY." (See my review of O.)

Throw is medium. I'm curious as to how this will smell on Bear. It might be quite nice.

Sexlicious. I gave this to my friend (who is a guy) and it smells different on him EVERY single time he wears it.. we've gotten vanilla.. a nice piney scent, chocolate, mint, and caramel and cinnamon. SOOO, SOO lovely.

Golden Priapus smells like pine sap and crushed juniper on my skin. It has a delicious masculine warmth. As it dries, the vanilla deepens the scent. This may be a touch too masculine for me, but I can't wait to try it on my SO.

Edited by ralenth