Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RosieP

Golden Priapus

Insatiable lust, unending vigor! A truly carnal, energetic men’s blend: vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

This imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap. Actually, this is a decant, if anyone was wondering.

In the bottle: piney forest.

Wet: Almost exclusively pine with hints of juniper.

Drying: Morphs while drying into a scents that's kissing cousin to Tombstone. I mean, KISSING cousin. Not so much amber ever comes forward.

Conclusion: Love the Tombstone and plan to stick with it.

golden priapus is divine when used with aizen-myoo...they complement each other perfectly

ADDED July 7:

interesting...im trying to remember what play dough smells like. im new to BPAL and snake oil + golden p were the only 10 mL sizes i ordered. but i really like the aizen-myoo sampler (imp?) i got. perhaps dorian, casanova, and fenris wolf are next up. and of course more aizen-myoo. dazed and confused robert plant as GP, hilarious!

Golden Priapus, in the bottle, is like smelling honeyed vanilla while standing outdoors in a green forest. On my skin, it starts out as a vanilla/amber with really, really yummy green pungent kick. It's just gorgeous for about a half-hour, and then... oh no! Play-Dough! For the life of me, I can't understand this, but something in Golden P turns on me the same way that Snake Oil turned on me. I thought it might have had something to do with the small amount that I tested, so I tried a larger swipe to see if it would change things. Sadly, no... while it's beautiful for a short while, I start to smell like a Play-Dough factory.

However, on my DH, Golden Priapus remains a very nice fragrance, with a rather masculine base of an evergreen forest and a wonderful vanilla-amber frosting. It's really yummy, but not at all overwhelming. He bought a bottle of it! :P I think this scent, for men, is the equivalent of O on women -- it's a "classic" and is almost certain to please.

Golden Priapus - The strongest note from beginning to end is vanilla. Yet, this is not a sweet vanilla like we smell in Antique Lace or Regan. It’s sweetness has been tempered by something heavy and woody, almost incense-like without the smoke. The whole time I’m wearing it, I almost like the scent, but not quite. I can’t put my finger on what it is that I don’t care for. The next day, I read the scent description, and I realize that it has both rosewood and pine in it, neither of which have ever smelled good on me, so one (or both) was probably the culprit that kept me from really getting into this blend. I also think the juniper in this scent is what made it smell incense-like on me, since it does the same thing to me when I wear Rome. While I was wearing this, I decided that it’s definitely a masculine scent despite the fact that it’s more golden-vanilla than I would usually expect a man to wear. I went back and forth on whether I think it would smell good on my husband, and in the end, I decided it would probably smell pretty damn good on him and I think he could pull off the rosewood and pine notes a lot better than I can. Golden Priapus has a really strong level of throw, and just a little dab on my wrists, and I was smelling it for hours afterward.

The lovely Golden Priapus came as an gift imp from a generous forumite.

What can I say? I think if you put vanilla in anything I am going to love it, and this is no exception. Lots of vanilla, and then a sense of...trees? and a certain sharpness (amost citric, but when I check the actual notes as opposed to the supposed notes-in-my-head I guess that what I smell as lemonish may be the juniper).

And pine, yes.

I let my daughter smell it: she responds, "It doesn't smell like a gold p*nis!" (to which I mildly enquire "but, my dear, when would you have smelled such a thing?" and she makes a face at me and sashays off)

I let my youngest son try a bit on his wrists. (gently sharing the BPAL joy with the family, I am). He thinks it's cool.

(and it smells very nice on him)

I don't care if it's for Manly Energy and all...I like it. And I kind of look forward to the "what are you wearing?" questions. I think it might be nice to wear to one of my more staid board meetings. :P

I never tried this before because, well, the vanilla scared me and also the word "priapus" sounded a little intimidating!

But pine, juniper and rosewood -- what was I thinking, to not want to try this sooner? And amber too -- it's a bit like Black Forest without the musk, and with a slightly more clear, biting, brisk pine. This is a sharp, sharp, bright green pine scent. This is probably the most piney that I have tried thus far. I'm sure it's also the kind that might make people think of Christmas candles or air fresheners, but for me this kind of bright, fresh green pine scent is paradise.

Vanilla? I don't smell it. Well maybe a little as it dries. A gentle warmth that keeps the pine from vanishing too soon. Yes, it warms up on my skin a little as it wears, along with the sweet amber, but it's always dominated by pine.

I don't know how I can possibly get a bottle fast enough. I like this more than Nocnitsa, I like it probably on a par with Black Forest, and I wish I had discovered it a long time ago when I was tearing my hair out looking for more piney blends. Here it is! I'm really glad that vanilla doesn't seem to be standing out in this for me, because that would have been a dealbreaker. Pure fresh scent of forest air and pine needles.

In the bottle it’s mainly pine and juniper. There’s a faint whiff of something Snake Oil-like in the background but it’s fairly faint.

On the skin, it’s pine and juniper at first application, but immediately the vanilla and amber make themselves known. After that, it’s all vanilla and amber. This reminds me of Snake Oil a lot, which I love, so that makes me very happy. Even though the vanilla and amber dominate, there’s still a whiff of something evergreen and sharp (juniper) far in the background. If I hadn’t have read the description, I wouldn’t have thought this was a masculine scent. Granted, the juniper and pine do add elements but I think unisex is a far better description. Maybe it’s the name. Hmmm. Golden penis. Well I don’t know about that but I sure am enjoying this oil. I'm halfway through my bottle.

p.s. this smells yummy layered with Dana O'Shee too.

i'm a slatherer. even when testing things for the first time, if i think i'll like it.

and yet i can only just barely smell this!

it is yummy and lovely and is similar to both Nocnitsa and Black Forest.. but then again it isn't.

its like the traditional christmas tree scent -- but sweet. like it was mixed with vanilla... without actually being able to smell the vanilla.

i can see how it might be considered masculine, i can see how it would layer nicely with Irish Spring soap. (why did the guy with the hat and the accent always cut off a sliver of the soap with his pocketknife in the commercials? what was that supposed to signify?)

i really don't get any amber or the note i've come to think of as BPAL's juniper...

i'm sure i get the rosewood .... and if white pine is like regular pine but watered down and sweeter, then that would make sense. (like white musk versus black musk)

i think i NEED a bottle of this. a big one. enough to share with my boi.

in the meantime, i have a new friend in NY who i think needs to smell this if she hasn't...

edited : Sep 7 2006, 02:53 AM:

well. i got a bottle of this, put a wand cap in it tonight and slathered myself but good and then went about doing some housework...

about half an hour later i smelled something... odd.

i took a sniff of the back of my hands (where i slathered first) and... i smelled something almost halfway between O and Snake Oil. (neither of which i particularly care for)

and... this makes me very sad. sniffed from the wand cap, i still smell the yummy woodsy smell that made me love this blend, but once this particular batch hits my skin, it goes into pure vanilla -- somewhere along the lines of Tombstone or Snake Oil.

maybe the imp i got was very, very aged.... so i'll put this bottle away, with the snake oil, and forget about them for a year or so. and see what happens.

well, i put the bottle away for a year, then two, then three... and i still have not been able to recreate the scent from my original imp (which i still have). the difference is slight, so i'm certain it is just a batch thing.... but nonetheless, this carefully tucked away and aged bottle is now on the way to a new owner.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

my first new sniff in well over half a year. (what can i say, i took a break. heh!)

first whiff... LOVE. oh wow. :P

i'm absolutely AWFUL with picking notes. and i'm highly influenced by reading other reviews. i tend to associate smells with memories or ideas.

my first thought was "wow this is indeed golden." soft light. i don't know why, but the vision of photographs of the house i was born into came into my mind. i've no recollection of the place, but all the photos have soft golden light in them. it reminds me of that.

after reading some reviews, i can definately pick out the vanilla and some sort of woodsy scent. how it works together, i've no idea but it does blend so beautifully. i guess it is the amber? i've little history with amber so i'm only taking a stab at it. it is soft while being really strong. of the other imps i've tried and applied the same, this one has a lot more oomph to it comparitively. as for throw... no idea. i'll have to ask the boy in a bit. heh.

this one is a keeper. and i'm sad (well, my bank account is) to say that it will definately be going on my wishlist as a 5ml in the future!! :D

Edited by space girl lost

Tested thanks to the GC swap quikslvr arranged!

In the imp, this is woods and... more woods. No sweetness. On my skin it becomes a fresh pine scent that I associate with men's fragrances, rather than cleaning solution. It's got a really rich wood note behind the freshness of the pine needles that's just gorgeous. It is decidedly masculine on me. It's more complex than it sounds from this description, but I don't know how else to describe it. It has a sort of energizing effect on me- really nice and fresh. The drydown is a dull, musty scent that most woods tend to take on after a while on my skin. Then it just sort of turns powdery and fades away. Not my cup of tea. I wish I'd gotten some of the sweetness.

Golden Priapus did not agree with me at all. It's the very first bpal scent that I just absolutely didn't like, from the get go. It's hard to explain...it's not horribly offensive on me; at first, from the bottle, I thought I was going to like it. Then I put it on and knew right away that I didn't like it. To me it's sweet, although I'm not generally averse to sweeter scents. It has a cloying-ness to it that I find hard to describe...almost like a flat or stale cola smell. It actually made me a little queasy and headache-y, and not only did I have to wash it off, it put me off testing any more scents for pretty much the rest of the night! The sense of smell is a funny thing......

straight sniff from imp...

whoa!! heavy with the pine/juniper and is that vanilla i detect.... :P

once applied the pine amps up hayoogely....slightly vanilla.....

somehow this reminds me of tombstone minus the sassafras...must be that

vanilla note.....

meh...after 30 minutes the vanilla turns into pure play-dough....not for me at all

On me, all I can think is "I smell like Christmas!" It's pine and juniper, with a whiff of incense underneath, along with the foody vanilla. I could also swear I smell berries or some sort of dark, ripe scent, but I must be mistaken. It's a great scent, but I think I'll save it for the holidays.

At first this is all pine and juniper- I'm a Christmas tree :P . Once this dries down, warm soft vanilla comes out and the pineyness mellows, leaving a beautiful scent. It smells very comforting to me in a seasonal kind of way- this will be great for the colder months. And I can't wait to try this on my man, I might just want to eat him up!

Juniper, Juniper and more Juniper.

Wet - think maybe it smells like juniper? Hell yeah! A Christmas tree.

Dry - I must amp juniper something insane because 95% of this one is the damn shrub. As it dries the pine comes out a bit as well as the vanilla and amber. Too bad the amber doesn't come off heavier because I think that would have saved this one for me. But alas - it's all holidays...

Into the swap pile this goes

Imp: This is a manly and herby mint with vanilla to my nose and I can definately smell some manly foliage.

Wet: Wow, that's overpowering. Amber not going to work and juniper's an allergy, but oh well.

Dry: Manly and mismatched dry. Not my thing.

Category: Manly

Rating: unsubstantial, allergic to juniper and amber is wierd and allergic to some pine

Overall: Would be great for the earthy ladies and gentlemen, not for me.

When I apply this, it dries down to kind of a musky sweet cinnamon, very sexy and appealing, with a short wear length and average throw.

Then I went and read the description. There's no cinnamon in this. And after reading the description, I can smell the listed notes more distinctly, particularly the amber and rosewood - but how on earth did I get cinnamon out of this?

I've always said that my nose is dumb enough to be confused by Blue Cheese SN. I now have my proof, with this imp of Golden Priapus. Still, since it's TEH SMEX, I don't really care what's in it!

I'm noticing the pine more than anything else. If it doesn't change I'm going to dismiss it as being too much like a cleaning product. The vanilla is lovely, but vanilla and pine is just an odd combination. I wish I could like this more but it makes me think of cleaning a toilet.

Oh wow, I LOVE this! I think it would be awesome on the BF!

It was almost exclusively pine to start, but now that has faded into the background and allowed the vanilla and amber to come out to play. This is divine!!!

bottle: juniper and pine immediately assail, hints of the amber behind

wet: the vanilla appears but the evergreen still dominate

dry: the amber is a bit stronger, but the vanilla is really amped and the evergreens are barely getting through it

later: aaaaall vanilla aaall the time. yegods. I'll have to try this on the hubster and see how it's supposed to smell.

Definitely has a manly feel to it, which is producing a combination of rosewood with a light vanilla underneath it. This is a quiet scent, with virtually no throw. It's comforting, like your favorite flannel shirt. Hint of juniper and pine adding a small herbal note in the background.

This strikes me as a masculine smell. (Big surprise there.) I catch a trace of pine under spice and something foody... cinnamon sugar? I’m not sure. The pine is coming on stronger as I wait. It’s a very confident scent.

Definitely strong pine oil in this. Beneath the pine, it is foody without being sugary, which I would consider a bizarre concept if I weren’t smelling and enjoying it right now. It’s balanced in a very interesting fashion -- indoors and outdoors, green pines and warm cookies. I am inclined to call it a sexy scent, but I don’t think of either pines or foodiness as a sexy smell, which makes me wonder whether it’s just mystique working. Still, it’s incredibly distinctive.

I think, in the right mood, I could wear this and feel very good and confident about wearing it.

Later: I went to bed, I got up, and I showered. Approximately twelve hours have passed since I put on Golden Priapus, and, moreover, I scrubbed the heck out of my elbow. I can still smell it faintly! I am left with no doubts whatsoever about the origin of this scent’s name -- this is the scent that does not give up. Good grief.

Hrm... yes, this is definitely a masculine blend. It's brighter, I think, than most men's scents tend to be though. The amber and white pine in this is just the perfect note of golden masculinity without overwhelming. After the drydown a creamy vanilla takes root and combines it's own flavour to the gorgeous amber and pine. Definitely dropping this one into my husband's to-try pile. :P

I can't even believe how much I love this. :P

While it is very masculine in the bottle, it also smells wonderful on me. I can't wait to try it on my darling boy.

Specifically - it's a little sweet, ambery, and it has notes in it that usually make me go "Yay, Christmas!" but they don't make me feel that way now. The juniper and pine smell like they've melted deliciously into the amber - it balances so perfectly, because it makes the amber not-too-sweet, and the juniper and pine become not-too-sharp ^^

This is very sexy and comforting and relaxing, and I -love- it. Took me a while to get my thoughts together, because I've just been lying on my bed, sniffing, and basking. Hello, my first big bottle order!

I got this one for the hubby...amber and I do NOT get along. But I dabbed a bit on the elbow just to see what I thought.

This totally makes me think of the Shub. Mind you, I've only sampled a small bit of Shub it's possible that I'm confused, but there's just something in common. I think I'll like this on the hubby, but not for me, which is ok, because that's the plan. It's great smelling in the bottle, and great smelling on him but on me I get spicy plastic.

When he wears it, it's liquid sex, I swear. But on me. Meh. Oddly enough it has terrific throw and staying power on me.

Heh. Staying power. Golden Priapus get it...

Never mind :P