Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
antimony

Wings of Azrael

Azrael is the Angel of Death, marked as the last being to die in the Apocalypse. Though a harbinger of doom, his duties are an act of mercy: he curtails human life before world-weariness and despair destroys our spirits. Warm myrrh swirled with a bittersweet blend of violet, Lily of the Valley, juniper, cypess and cajeput.

This one the juniper jumped out to me. I was hoping for more Lily of the Valley. The myrrh finally kicked in during dry down. This one smells nice but not for me. Off to swap.

The dominant notes in this for me are myrrh and violet.

I got Wings of Azrael as a frimp and didn't really expect to like it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I first put it on. The myrrh combined with the flowers to give them a sort of dusty, aged scent - like grandmother's gloves found in a box in the attic, still smelling of her perfume. The elements blend beautifully at first and I love the quirky, nostaligic beauty of it.

Five or ten minutes in, the violets break out and my skin gives them free reign. They're all I smell for about half an hour. I'm not keen on this.

Finally, when all is dry and settled, the myrrh comes back to sweeten and balance the flowers. This last stage reminds me a lot of Le Serpent Qui Danse.

Overall, I'll say that, with the exception of the violet orgy in the middle, this one is quite nice. It doesn't scream "Me!" though, so I'll be passing it on. It deserves a good home. Preferably with someone who can pull off a hat.

Bottle: I had to smell this one quite a bit to be able to tell. It had a stony floral scent, but very light. As if petals were being lifted around you.

Worn: At first, I got nothing but a lemon/powder like scent, but later on, I could smell a strong floral scent, like roses or lily. Very lovely.

This one grew on me a bit, but I really like it. I wouldn't get a bigger bottle of it, but I wouldn't mind another imp. 6/10.

I have been avoiding this one like the plague because, while I love violets, any flower with lily as part of the name does not really work for me. I got it as a freebie from the lab.

Last night, I finally decided to put it on. I smelled the oil and smelled a LOT of juniper. My first reaction was to put it back, but something forced me to put it on.

On: WOW! Talk about a scent morphing. This is actually a very pretty, soft woody floral on me. I get violets, but not bright screaming violets, more of a pastel rendition of a violet. Very soft, not watery, more "dreamy" and, for some reason, comforting.

Not really my style, but I will keep the imp. Definitely for those who love soft, sweet florals.

E.T.A. This scent has really grown on me and I want a bottle for winter.

Edited by judas_kiss

This perfume is like a cello playing by candlelight… slow and rich and moving the heart with an aching tender music. There is sweetness and a bit of sharpness... a dark blue scent and very evocative of some memory I can't quite grasp, but it has something to do with lost love. An appropriate scent for the angel of death as the blessed release of life's cares....

I swear this smells like celery.

In the vial and wet it is very celery. Maybe my nose doesn't work, but that's what I'm getting.

After drydown I get celery with violet and a tinge of the lilies. I have no clue what to make of this. :P

First Impression: Resin and wood.

Dries down to: A floral note (familiar but I can't quite place it) asserts itself and grabs the resin and wood for a dance. Now, I can recognize the lily-of-the-valley and also, the violet which is just peeking through. I think the juniper and cajeput are disguising them just enough to make them feel familiar without being obvious - I would have liked them to be more obvious. After a while, though, the violets do come to the forefront and stay there.

Additional Comments: Myrrh is a new note for me - I like it but not as much as amber. Overall, this one was very nice but it's not a "to die for" scent for me.

Lasted: About 3 hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Wet: Floral, with a wood floor. After a moment the myrrh warms it up a touch.

3 Hours: The myrrh stood out for awhile, and now it has settled back into a floral. Starting to think about powder? Has been light, pretty.

6 Hours: Never took that step into powder, thankfully. A pretty floral. Nice for a summer day. It is still there, but I think it is time to re-apply just a bit.

Verdict: Pretty, with nice staying power. Keep the imp. It is a pleasant one to sleep with.

In bottle: Violet and lilies - it's a pretty, watery floral. For once the juniper isn't screaming and actually helps the blend.

On me: Very light on the skin, the violets are cradled by the myrrh and gently rocked. This is a very calming scent, slightly green from the violets and a bit medicinal. I can't really smell the juniper or cypress but I can detect their influence in the overall darkness of the scent. The myrrh continues to grow stronger and is beginning to overwhelm the other notes; I can't even detect the violet anymore. Definitely one of the best Lab scents.

Wings of Azrael

I received this with my first order about a year ago, but have been avoiding trying it because violets hate me. Unfortunately, this is no exception.

in vial: violets and myrrh

wet: juniper starts to appear

dry: violet soap

verdict: this has good staying power, but it's definitely not for me

On me, Wings of Azrael is perfumey white florals and soapy violets. It doesn't necessarily have a lot of throw, but it's heavy enough to give me a headache. In the drydown I smell a woodsy note that is almost like cedar.

This type of floral is just not for me, sadly.

I wasn't crazy about this in the bottle -- soapy florals -- and it was worse on. The myrrh was overwhelming and unpleasant, and the whole thing had that strong "perfume" smell that doesn't work for me. I never know how to describe that, but when I stop being able to identify individual notes and the scent becomes very rich and heady without one dominating element, I usually wash it off. I buy BPAL because I like being able to tell what I'm wearing! :P

In the imp: Very astringent smelling... it reminds me of Noxema! :P

On: Hoo boy... this is very sharp, green, and menthol-y - must be the cypress and juniper. There's also an odd sweet warmth that's contrasting with the cool notes in a vaguely disconcerting way - I think that's the myrrh.

Drydown: I can eventually smell the violets, but the lily of the valley never really made itself know. I like floral blends more than green scents, so I would have preferred a more florally reaction, like some people seemed to have. I like violet, but there are other blends where I can smell it better - I think the juniper and cypress dominate this one too much for my tastes and chemistry.

I got this because I was looking for a "mostly myrrh" scent as my chemisty generally turns myrrh all sweet and golden. But this has something in it that stays funky on me, unfortunately.

I definitely get the green dishsoap smell in the imp and on. I don't know if it's the juniper or the lily of the valley. I kept waiting for it to mellow out, but it keeps on ticking. It's surprisingly green and herbal - it's good to know that the scent works on some folks. Looks like I'll have to give it a pass.

Wait! No! Just after I posted this, I smelled my wrists again and ahhhh... there's the myrrh. Took it's time! I think I've had it on for an hour or so. Okay, scratch it off the "no" pile and put it in the "maybe." YAY! :P

Edited by aedes

Wings of Azrael was a gift from the Lab, and I really appreciate having the chance to try it.

Almost all the way through the final drydown of this fragrance, this is all about the myrrh, with the sweetness of the lily of the valley surrounding it. This is a very cold and remote perfume, and to be honest I don't feel entirely comfortable wearing it. It's smells like death, albeit very elegant and aesthetic death.

I really only pick up a slight faintness of violet, and a bit of cajeput, but the myrrh seems to dominate this scent.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to wear Wings of Azrael. I will have to test it again before I decide whether to pass it on or keep it.

I was astonished by this blend. Lily of the valley and any sort of evergreens are usually problematic notes on me, so I expected that this scent would tank. Instead, it was beautiful! Mostly myrrh and violets, with the other notes contributing just enough to make the blend cool, feathery, and a little foreboding. Definitely evocative and a little bit eerie -- this is the feel that I expect to get from some of the Demon In My View LE's. It did go soapy after a few hours, but those few hours were definitely worth it.

Wings of Azrael

In the imp: violet with dry, camphor like woods underneath-I can smell juniper here.

Wet on skin: yeesh, sharp dark burnt woods!

Dry on skin: is quite a harsh, dry, gritty scent. I think the juniper in here is giving it an almost medicinal edge. But the violet and lily of the valley lighten it a bit, adding a soft veil of floral over the dry woods.

After a while: this improves as time passes. The scent mellows, the lily and violet bond with each other to make this a lot more bearable. However, this scent is so pale and dry, it feels dusty, and almost barren. It has a real ghostly melancholy feel to it.

Verdict: at first, this smells harsh and astringent. Then the violet and lily come out and the scent becomes more pleasant. It seems sorrowful a scent, full of ghostly notes, pale and ethereal, and yet it's quite appealing. However, it's not my thing, but a very interesting scent to try out.

In imp/immediately upon application~rich, sweet myrrh.

Nothing bittersweet(as per description) about this one. The notes blend beautifully and fortunately, not a hint of juniper(gag). This one is more of a slightly powdery incense type blend(on me) that goes through a gorgeous, creamy, almost vanilla-like phase. Eventually, it ends up a heavily sweet scent with the feel of a thick body lotion. Might give this one another try. This time around, nice but not WOW.

very sweet..

am having trouble describing it..

its syrupy in sweetness..like a violet syrup.

it reminds me of tiny lace stores in venice (I guess this should be called antique lace for me with the imagery i am getting)

I didn’t even test this one. It smelled horrible in the bottle so I immediately put it in the swap pile. Hope someone else likes it.

Another one of those scents I was imploring to work for me. I searched vehemently to find this one on the sales pages. In vain. *sighs* That's ok....there's hundreds more where this one came from!

A scent that I tried on a whim, I was a little wary of it because sometimes Lily of the Valley makes me want to sneeze. Thankfully this blend doesn't give me any trouble.

The Lily of the valley is prominent on me at first, but quickly calms down to reveal the violet and juniper. One of my favorites. Wearing this makes me feel lovely and mysterious.

"Syrupy sweet" is it.

All I'm getting is coca-cola, sadly - there's a bit of juniper coming out after the ten minute point of dry-down (I'm assuming the initial coke bit was the myrrh), but the sweet tang of cola isn't leaving me.

3/5

Straight off I get very high quality fresh ground pepper, which is odd since pepper never comes out on me in scents that do say they have that note. I suspect here it is the juniper. Then the violet, the myrrh and the cajeput blend into a sticky sweet resinous scent. I get hints of the muguet and the juniper/cypress in the background. I adoe violet and this isn't a string violet on me. It is interesting --- an imp-keeper rather than a bottle-buyer, but we'll see.