Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

in my search for "the perfect rose" (which i have since found in Peacock Queen!), Moon Rose made it to my wishlist... and I was lucky enough to get this sent to me as a frimp! weee!

Weirdly enough, though... I smell literally NO rose in this on my skin. None. It smells like a powdery grandmother's bathroom on me. :P

In reading through other people's reviews, I do have to agree that this would probably be the rose scent for non-rose lovers. LOL. No rose here for me!

This is simply the best rose scent I've ever known (and I love roses, as may be inferred from my username :P, although some others have said this to be a rose scent for non-rose lovers...) It's just insanely beautiful, pure rose, I don't get much other notes to speak of besides rose. In the vial, it may be pale & crisp rose as in the description, but on me, it develops into a pure rose in full bloom! Lovely.

Edited by rosetta

A pretty, floaty, and above all one of the most feminine scents I've tried yet. Light and delicate and lovely just after I put it on, but it vanishes so quickly. Of all the scents I've tried, this one vanishes the fastest, disappearing just inside an hour. Maybe my skin just absorbs it . . . Or maybe somethings are just too pretty to last!

Edited by mountainwitch

In the bottle: Very pale rose with something green and watery in it.

Wet: Oof, aquatics! Ouch, my nose! I get a bit of moonflower, through the prickling.

Drydown: Fortunately the aquatics become more subdued after a while. Creamy white moonflower is the dominant note, with rose rising slowly behind it. It smells very crisp and clean, and reminds me a bit of "Dirty". It has a rather waxy quality to it, though, probably from the moonflower. After a while, the rose is finally more obvious - it's a very pale tea rose, a bit tart, even.

Overall: This seemed very promising, but to me this is 90% moonflower, a waxy peculiar scent that I don't like so much. The dew dissipates fast, good thing because it hurts my sinuses, but the rose in this blend really doesn't come out strong enough. It's a bit too acidic for me, and reminds me more of some kind of detergent than of a flower. Pity.

I hate to use character analogies when talking about perfume, but I've just got to with Moon Rose. The thing that popped into my head when I tried this on was "Oh, wow. If Tsukino Usagi (Sailormoon) wore perfume, this would be it."

This is such a girly, pretty, soft rose. Very feminine. It's light at the same time, though - the imp of this I got was very full and I accidentally slathered, but it's soft and light enough that it can be slathered without being overpowering. I really like this. :P

Moon Rose - I cannot review Moon Rose without comparing her to Whip because they are so similar, yet so very different. Moon Rose is the pale pink sister of Whip. Whereas Whip's rose is blended with deep, black leather for a bold and swashbuckling scent, Moon Rose is blended with delicate moonflower and dew drops for a soft and demure fragrance. Whereas Whip blend is robust, swaggering, cocksure, and has the confidence to last for hours upon hours on my skin, Moon Rose has a significantly more frail constitution and cannot maintain her presence for more than an hour, and when I'm not paying attention, she quietly sneaks away. When confined to a scent locket, however, Moon Rose has no choice but to faintly exude the delicate scent of pale, pink roses and moonflowers. Like a China doll, Moon Rose is beautiful but very fragile and delicate and we shouldn't expect anything from her but the quietest and most reserved demeanor.

In the vial, it smells absolutely and perfectly like a rose -- no surprises.

Putting it on however... Wow. Wet, it has a very crisp, floral scent. Just rose, nothing more and nothing less.

Drying down, it mellows out into a gorgeous rose... visions of white and red roses under moonlight jump into my mind. This is definitely a very 'wet' sort of rose, it just FEELS dewy and soft, like springtime roses.

I was very impressed with this scent. When I first put it on, I felt somewhat ambivalent about it because it just seemed like plain rose, nothing more. But as the day went on, I was just so absolutely happy about this scent, my appreciation of it grew with the sweet floral perfection that it maintains. It really IS the rose scent to me, it's far better at capturing it than any other rose scent I've tried. I feel like this is a perfect fit for me.

My one surprise was its staying power. I slathered it on, expecting that (like most florals I enjoy) it would die down -- for awhile, it seemed to. Then about an hour in, I suddenly kept SMELLING it. I wore it to work at an outdoor theatre company, where I was ridiculously dirty and sweaty all day, and it worked perfectly there and it really stayed. Most oils (with a few exceptions) die under the sweat and the grime, but I was getting sweet, sweet whiffs of Moon Rose for seven hours or so. It started out really light, almost disappearing on me, before coming out in total force about an hour after application.

I will DEFINITELY be getting a big bottle of this in my next order. I think this one will get a lot of use for me.

beautiful beautiful beautiful yummy. uNf.

i'm not sure i even begin to know where to start with the YUM that is this. :P

sniffed from the imp: smells rather like my red/pink Manic Panic colour depositing shampoo (smells SO good)....

on skin: if Zombi is dried roses, then these are the roses when they're fresh... with some of the Body Shop's moonflower and a bit of April Fresh/Downy/Fabric Softener or Demeter's "Laundromat" in there somewhere.

......i dunno what's in this that flips the switch, but this is an instant splash of omg-must- drag-boy-to-bed-or-cave-or-somewhat-secluded-space-NOW.

like Spike and David Bowie and Prince and Steven Tyler and Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons and Jaye Davidson and Butch Walker all rolled into one heavenly drop of oil -- way more than snake oil or O or any of the other smells-like-sex scents i've tried.

(well, that's my list. use your own list of eye candy).

i know i'm wierd.

The description is quite accurate here. It's definitely a powdery translucent kind of scent. It's feminine and beautiful. For some reason, something about it reminds me of "Wind Song", which I used to wear during high school. I actually just got up, got my old bottle of Wind Song out and did a compare sniff. There is definitely that powdery note that they both share.

As Moon Rose stays on my skin, the less powdery it smells. I'm really starting to get the rose scent now. It truly smells like fresh roses. I'm liking this scent a lot more than I thought I would!

My oh my. After a brief losing streak as far as incoming imps goes, I've been on a long string of hit after hit. Moon Rose is no exception. I love me some rose...but rose not done well just, well, stinks.

Moon Rose is perfect. Light, airy, lovely. The rose isn't overpowering...it's there but not in your face. It has a lovely powder fresh scent to it. Clean and crisp. GLorious scent and one my new favorites (I've been saying that a lot lately :P )

My skin amps the heck out of rose. This is the first BPAL rose I've tried I actually could wear. Rose and powder. Also a nice grass note.

Moon rose started as a strong floral, slightly sweet, but I couldn't smell much rose…more generic flowery perfume and mixed with a fresh soap scent. The drydown is really nice though as it mellows to a rose and fresh soap based scent…with some nice nuances that somehow suggest the clear moonlit night in the garden. :P It's amazing...I have no idea how it does that, but it does! The soapy scentmakes the floral smell really clean and clear and not cloying.

Edited by gloom & doom bear

Wow, this is beautiful! I've had some trouble with roses on BPAL because they react strongly with my skin and can be cloying...however, black rose and moon rose have not done that! This is definitely lighter than black rose though. It's soft and feminine, and will be perfect for my more feminine moods (if that makes any sense). It's not feminine without being girly and overall makes me feel lovely. I need a bottle!

Moon Rose-

In Bottle: Very light sweet floral--rose, certainly, but also a clean freesia-like scent.

Wet: Rather nice; not too strongly of straight cloying rose (rose does cloy for me in many commercial rose blends), but, yes, I can imagine the "midnight dew" in this; it's aquatic and like a night-blooming flower.

Dry: A nice pleasant clean floral blend. Dries down and loses some of the dominant rose note, and that's fine. Not unctuous and not too cloyingly rose-y. It's not very exciting for me, compared to some of Beth's other blends, but that's not her fault--it's just not a combination of scents that I usually find exciting.

Overall: Pleasant but not exciting for me.

OMG this is beautiful.

Wet this come across as moonflower and delicate fresh, wet cut grass with a hint of the most fragile rose.

As it dries down the rose comes forward with the moonflower and greenery playing backup.

chaste and pure of spirit - very feminine without being "girly"

This is a scent that no one would ever expect me to wear. HA! They are soooooo wrong.

I do think I would have to agree with everyone who is saying this is the non-rose lovers rose.

Since discovering BPAL, I've noticed that rose isn't something that suits me. I love roses, but just not on me. They're usually too strong and give me a bit of a headache.

Moon Rose is a very delicate rose that is both pretty and feminine without being overly sweet or flowery. It reaches the perfect balance of beauty and elegance. :P It's strong wet, but fades down into a beautiful subtle rose. At first I was afraid it was going to fade away since the change was so dramatic, but it's 5 hours later and now is about ready for a reapplication. :D That's pretty darn good in my books for a delicate scent.

I just love it. I'm definitely going to need a 5ml of this.

Edited by crescentmoon

Sweet, powdery, light rose. Thankfully, I don't smell like an old lady in this, but I'm still not sure it's quite my style. I guess I just can't wear rose blends. :P

This one was strong moonflower (at least, I *think* it is moonflower) at first when still wet. Once it dried, it became more rose-ish. It's not old-lady rose --- it's more slighly spicy rose. I see a tendency for me to like the rose scents from BPAL, and this one is no exception.

This is lovely. Not fake perfumey rose at all--real, fresh, dewy white roses with ethereal, softly luminous florals in the background, as if you're standing in a rose garden on a moonlit night after rain. I like this better than Rose Red. I'm probably not going to wear this every day, but I'm definitely keeping the imp and may get a bottle of this in future.

Edited by citharadraconis

In the bottle: Sadly, the imp of Moon Rose smells like soap to me.

Wet: Much less soapy, thankfully. The rose is understated, mellowed by the other notes. I’m not generally friendly with roses other than the ones in Maiden. This one is still a little on the sharp side to my nose up close.

Drying down: I had some work in the kitchen and the notes wafting up at me were much gentler. I can picture a delicate white rose that only opens in the moonlight. When it’s open it seems to glow from within. In the day, it shuts tight and has almost a violet tinge to its bud.

Dry: This is still sharp if I try to stick my nose to my wrist. Its moderately thrown scent is where it shines.

Later: I really should not judge an imp by its in-the-bottle scent. The cloud of gentle rose surrounding me is rather pleasant. It is not one for which I would go out of my way for more, though.

Oh wow. A wonderfully ethereal floral blend. There's a lovely dusting of moonflower and a very light aquatic note over the palest rose imaginable. I feel like I'm really wandering out into a moonlight garden on a cool night, surrounded by this evocative scent.

My first review ever!

Moon Rose

Wet: It smells like white roses soaked in warm water. It lingers in your nose after you take a whiff, and the scent fades into something almost nostalgic. If "raindrops on roses" was a smell, this would be it.

On: It warms up so quickly. The rose really comes out, but it's not sweet - it's opalescent, shimmering, like rose-scented mist. It's so pure and white.

Later: The rose has faded, not quite so potent - it's warm, comforting, and just a little sad. I'm amazed that this smell isn't sweet at all, so far. The flower in it is quiet, and the perfume reminds me of the lingering thought of roses, not the actual flower itself.

I adore this so far. It's subtle, feminine, and comforting, but somehow it's also a little lonely.