Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Zombi

Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth.

I got this as a freebie, because I don't think I'd ever pick an "earthy" scent on my own.

In the bottle: Smells like dirt. Fresh dirt, like gardening soil. There's a tiny bit of floral peeking out, like you were gardening near a flowering plant.

On/Wet: Yeah, smells the same. Dirt.

Drydown: As it drys, the wet, fresh loam smell does fade a little and becomes a dry floral on me. Generally I like rose, but I think the combination with oakmoss isn't great.

I'm going to run around with this on for the rest of the day, but I don't think I'm such a nontraditional scent. It may be headed for the swap pile.

ETA: Wow, after 3 hrs the dirt finally went away. It is now a dry, crumbling rose. Maybe it'll stick around after all. Wondering... Edited by Shollin

i could've sworn i reviewed this.

friendthegirl sent this to me as well as burial, and i'm so glad i got to try the two.

in the bottle there's a very faint herbal smell that i've never been particularly fond of, but i desperately wanted to wear this for halloween. the longer it was on my skin, the more reminiscent it became of old graveyards. i'm not sure if this is a case of me being easily persuaded by the description and intent of this or if it's a case of beth being a fucking genius. more than likely, it's both. the gritty herbal smell i'm getting from this starts to hurt my stomach after a while, but i braved it and wore it on halloween anyway. layering it with burial gives it a lot of oomph. as far as my stomach hurting goes, the same thing happened with nosferatu, which had a similar smell, so i'm wondering what the similar notes are. i think i may e-mail/PM beth about it.

This is reminiscent of an excessively vain zombie. The kind of zombie that would, appropriately enough, shorten it to "zombi." ...In short, this smells like a mud-caked rotting corpse with perfume on.

It wasn't entirely unpleasant in the imp. I could smell dirt and the underlying floral, which wasn't very "me," but being as fond of the walking dead and their movies as I am, I just had to try it on. My skin must really hate the "earth" notes because roses are usually fine. I spilled some on me and I thought it was never going to come off and I was about to cry the smell was bothering me so much. Incidentally, I also spilled some on the couch, which now smells like a graveyard. This should make for some interesting dreams tonight..

Edited by luxuria

I suprised myself by falling completely in love with this. So weird because I usually like sexual warm scents. To me it seems a little citrusy, but while "real" citrus scents never stick around on me, this one lasts for a few hours. So the floral note is a clean, lemony floral note, and the earthiness just deepens and saddens it without making it smell dirty.

Also it makes me peaceful, mournful and a little lethargic. This is a languid, but not sexual scent.

Zombi went to the top of my want list at my first visit to the site in April, and I finally got around to getting some in November (as a gift, in 10ml form)! The description, and name, are the kind of thing that I love and would never think that someone else would want!

Overpowering in the bottle, the epitome of earthiness. Damp, wet mosses and rich, black soil with moldering leaves. I feel in applying it that I am spreading a thick cake of black mud on my arm, grave dirt with a bouquet of roses mashed into the earth. Did I mention that I love roses? Almost the only flower that I do like to wear...

Wearing this, I imagine that I'm an undead bride come back to life, clawing her way out of the tomb with her tattered bouquet and lumbering around in the fog. Yes, these are things that I like! :P Green, loamy, wet, mossy, black, earthy, how many more adjectives can I pile on?....it's all good, but I know this is not to all tastes. Proceed with caution. Earth, moss, and rose lovers rejoice! :D

Zombi is all dirt for me, both in the vial and on my skin. It's dark, loamy, and would be perfect if I was a loving, adoring gardener.

However, I am not, and there's definitely the moldy side of earth in Zombi, and it triggered a spastic sneezing fit.

And Zombi is now in the pile of imps that didn't work.

Wet: Now, that's actually kinda pretty. A nice rose floral with moss in the background. Some dirt in there, too. It's a very earthy scent. It reminds me of the more incense like smells only smells more like earth than incense. The moss is starting to bother me a little, though. I have to be careful with moss as it can give me a headache.

Dry down: Still rosey with the other scents mostly in the background. A much more grounded rose than some of Beth's other blends. I don't know that I'd want more of this, but I do like the bit that I have in this imp. The only problem is that something is making my eyes sting a little bit, which isn't that bad but is slightly annoying and makes me worry that there may be more adverse reactions to follow.

Dry: Still very rose on me. I'm not surprised as my skin seems to find any rose scent and just exude it. This has a more earthy bite than some of the other rose blends. I like it, but it does bother my allergies a little. Probably the moss. This is a lot prettier than I had expected, epseically with some of the horror stories I've heard about it. I'll have to wear it a couple more times to be sure what I really think. For now, this is nice.

The softly sweet and dusty smell of decaying rose petals perfectly describes this ethereally beautiful scent. Gentle yet tenacious, slightly sorrowful yet uplifting.

Its the sort of fragrance that Violet Beaudelaire should wear in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events .

This is one I've been meaning to actually put on my skin and try out for a while. I knew I'd love it just from sniffing at the imp, but as I've experienced, one can never be too sure with these things.

In the vial, it's highly reminiscent of Demeter's Dirt. It is the smell of freshly upturned earth, or a flowerbed after a thunderstorm. There is a hint of rose underlying it all, but really it just screams DIRT. Cool with me, because I love this smell.

Putting it on & wearing it all day, it doesn't really change too much. The roses alternate from that weird "flower arrangement in a funeral home" to "dried out roses." They also take turns with the dirt smell for attention. One minute it smells a bit more rosey, the next, more like dirt.

The staying power is incredible. This isn't an overly pungent scent, so I didn't expect it to last more than a few hours. I was totally mistaken!

I do enjoy roses and dirt! So, needless to say, I reaalllllllyyyyy love this.

While wet, zombi was a beatutifully haunting rose bouquet. As it dried, I disliked the scent on me more and more, it was turning too much into rotten soil with wilted flowers drooped everywhere.

...I smell like decomposition, in a floral sort of way. This would be beautiful on someone else, but not for me. the name suits it perfect though!

In the bottle: MOSS and earth

On wet: Roses, lots of them - the mossy earth scent has vanished!

On dry (at first): the mossy and earth has come back. And is that a hint of eau de cat litter box? There's something unpleasant lurking in this though I can still smell the roses behind the moss and earth.

On dry (later): I smell dry, dusty roses. This is lovely. It's faded on my wrists after about 5 hours but I keep getting wafts of rosiness from my neck. Mmmm...

Overall: Next stop www.theapothecaryscat.com , need I say more?

Well...it smells exactly like it's described. Like dirt and dead foliage. And worms. Can't forget those earthworms.

It's a blend that fascinates me, because it smells like dirt...but I don't see myself ever wearing it. Into the swap pile it goes!

I like the dirtiness of it, and it truly does smell just like it's description, but I can't quite rock it myself. I do like smelling it, but I don't like wearing it.

it does give me a buffy kind of thing going on though... :P

(edited because I wanted to say, buffy wouldn't wear this, but she would encounter some dead guys who smelled like this... but I don't mean that in a bad way... does that make sense?)

Edited by jessamynit

In the bottle: Moist dirt and dead leaves. This is what it smells like a day or two after a good, windy storm, when the soil is still damp and the leaves lie trampled over it.

Wearing: Hmm. Like Nosferatu, this kind of goes sour on me, but not in a bad way. It is very unusual. The roses come out, dead and brown, but somehow have perfectly preserved stems. This is definitely an "undead" kind of smell, but on top of the obvious zombie imagery I'm thinking mummies as well. The smell is of many, many years passing from an ancient time, yet still manages to maintain a "flesh" of sorts. Despite this, a certain smell of decay remains. Very interesting.

Later: This is one that I tried on before I went to bed, and it lasted all night. However, like all mossy scents do on me, this turns powdery. I like the blend pre-powder stage enough to keep the imp, however.

Edited by voodoobaby

:P

Zombi is one of the worst thing's I've EVER smelled... and one of those those scents that could not be scrubbed off... even in the shower... OMG!

I COULD detect the note of old decaying roses, which wasn't too bad but it could not cover up the acrid smell that lingered and wafted and filled my house with ick... someone said in a review a ways back that it smelled like a dirty rotting corpse wearing perfume....

uh, yeah

In the Bottle: Dead roses, mossy wet earth. This smells like an upturned grave. Beware of coming story....

On Me: Nothing says "I've just woken up from a long dirt nap" like Zombi. One hundred percent a freshly turned grave. *shiver*

I've always had nightmares before, but this last one was the most intense one I ever had. I must have been dreaming that I was asleep until the sound of falling rain was hitting the roof. As I woke up a little more, I realized that it wasn't rain...it was dirt, and somehow my roof had gotten a lot closer than I remembered it being.

I was in a box, not really enough room for me to really move around in at all, a wooden one, and thank goodness for that. It was growing darker and darker with every plop of dirt, and all around me I could smell the wet earth and the scent of the roses that had been thrown on my grave. I could hear people weeping above me, and I wanted to scream at them! I wanted to tell them that I wasn't dead, I was alive! They were burying me alive!

But it was a dream, so I didn't really care about doing anything, just watching. That and I didn't want to use up all my air. Soon it became pitch black, and that's when the panic kicked in. I couldn't get my knees up to kick at the coffin, nor could I sit up, so I just kept pounding away at the top of the coffin. It might have been completely useless if it hadn't been for a few boards that hadn't been nailed in.

Time seemed to stand still for me as I worked on the other boards, wet Louisianna dirt pouring on my face and body. I spat out as much of it as I could and kept digging upwards. Finally, my hand broke through, and I slowly pulled my way out of my own grave. I was gasping for breath, and looking wildly all about. It was night now, and in the moonlight I could see my own tombstone. I was chilled, the night air and the sounds of the swamp was vibrant and loud from the time in my coffin. If this was a dream, it most certainly was the most realistic one I had ever had.

I was suddenly aware of the soft swishing of skirts and I turned around. There, with her entorage, was a woman that I had refused to pay for a silly home remedy for my father. I had asked her to relieve his pain, and what she gave him killed him. I even sent the police after her, though I didn't really care what became of her.

She strode to me and I crouched low, frightened for some reason that I could not understand. She spoke to me, "You asked for something, and recieved it, but still you were not happy. You defamed my name, and accused me of conning you. But you also accused me of killing an innocent man, and that is unforgiveable. You have been tried by the Voudon, and we have declared you guilty. You shall live out the rest of your days as a Zombi. Take him away."

I was grabbed roughly under the arms and dragged into a truck, where they put me in another box and traveled with me to Hati. Here I have been for many years, still with the smells of the Louisanna earth and the roses that were thrown at my grave in my nostrils. I keep thinking that I'm going to wake up any minute now...any minute. I mean, after all, this is all just a dream, isn't it?

Isn't it?

Must buy a big bottle!!!

This scent is all dry, withered flowers and greenery. The moss is quite strong on my skin. I don't think I would wear it, but it perfumed my room beautifully.

It smells far nicer than any zombie I've ever imagined.

first impression of zombi?

wet dirt and crushed grass.

as it dries, there's some eucalyptus and minty smells going on but i don't smell any florals at all in this scent.

dry is smells like fresh grass on me.

fully dry, it smells like rose scented powder. not bad.. will go nicely with my dionis rose scented lotion

This was truly dirty. Dirty with a little incense. Not dirty like stinky boy dirty, but actual honest to goodness dirt. On the ground.

I really liked the smell of this, just not on me. It did remain true to bottle on my skin, but I smelled like I just came in from gardening. It's not a bad smell, just not my idea of what smells good on me.

If you like rich earth and a slight incense, this is for you.

I adore this scent. I don't want to repeat what's been said here so many times, but it really captures the description perfectly: dried roses, earth, moss, yum. For me I think of New Orleans and the heavy, moist air, the Spanish moss...

This is the only scent I've found so far that retains all its notes on my skin - and to make things better, it has lasting power.

This is my first official Everyday Scent. I am not particularly partial to florals but the earthiness in this makes it perfect to wear. It's not ROSE! and it's not potting soil, but something totally in between. I think what is best about this is that it's not too "weird" to wear every day. For some of my favorite blends sometimes I worry people I walk by will give me a quick whiff and wonder what the heck is going on because they don't have the time to discern all the notes.

But Zombi is rose - which everyone knows - but with a darker twist to it that makes it so much more appealing.

Bravo, Beth! I've never been turned onto a floral scent before, and this is one unexpected scent that won me over.

First sniff from the bottle- Very rosey.

After 10 minutes- I was really expecting this to smell like patchouli, but it comes off as very green and rosey on me. It smells more like a flower garden than 'dead dirt' as others described it.

After 30 minutes- Zombi smells like a rose garden. I smell rose and the sharp scent of green you get when you cut a flower from the stalk. I also detect the smell of fresh wet soil. Like a freshly watered lawn.

Summery- This is a nice organic scent but as usual, I just can't wear florals. This is way too rosey for my taste.

Rosey dirt form the imp.

This smells of earth, rose and moss. There is a deep, damp, and green scent here too, lurking in the background.

I like this, it reminds me of Buriel, which I love. I am going to hold on to the imp for a bit, and see if this turns into a love too. :P

Zombi

This was a freebie from the lab. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: This is one I was going to try as the idea of dirt and dried roses intrigued me. However, though I don’t dislike roses or dirt, there were others I was more interested in first.

In the vial: Wow - that really does catch the scent of dried roses. I’m not getting any dirt from the vial though, and the rose note is *really* sharp. I generally prefer the softer side of rose.

On me:

First whiff: Yes, there’s that lovely decaying scent I was looking for. This is really quite amazing - the roses with decaying stuff. I feel like I’m in a forest near some fungi and someone’s tossed some dry roses over them. But the rose is still foremost in this scent, and it’s still very, very sharp. I want more decay and less rose - or for a decayed rose, maybe, that didn’t smell so strong and chemical-like.

In a few minutes: Something soapy is coming up. Wait, that’s not the diswashing detergent I used to get rid of the last scent I was trying (I have too many oils to wait for them to actually fade away - some do, but others I need to wash off). No, I think it’s in the oil. Not sure what’s causing it, but it is softening the rose a bit - just not the way I’d like. Come on! More decay! Less soapy roses!

15 minutes: Ugh, still soapy roses.

1 hour: Gone. It didn’t change much over that time

Overall: I’m not too fond of soapy roses. I would have really liked more of the decaying scent and a softer rose. This one is going into the swap pile.

This was a freebie from the Lab. I wouldn't have ordered it myself, but I was glad to be able to experience it.

That is, until I got some on my hands. It took me a few minutes to realize what that smell reminded me of.

It's strong dirt, and stronger roses... but somehow, together, they morph on me to smell exactly like NAIR.