Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nightgaunt

Glowing Vulva at Ryogoku Bridge

Cream accord, amber, teak, and lotus blossom.

in the imp, it smells like musky elmer's glue to me. on my skin however, it's a different story. it's all cream and teak and something in this is reminiscent of sasparilla, but not as bubbly. this actually evokes the name quite well. it's soft, warm, and mysterious. i think the amber makes a nice backdrop, but i am not getting much lotus at all from what i can tell. i quite like this and am pleasantly surprised.

Edited by theseagrows

I finally got to try this, thanks to a very generous forumite! It reminds me very much of Haloes with the wood-y feel, but the lotus blossom is adding an element of sweet floral that Haloes doesn't have.

This is very creamy and luscious, slightly sweet but not obviously so. It really does have a bit of a "glow" about it, very pretty but not in a girly way. A lovely soft and sensuous blend, I'm glad I got to try it and thankful I can stop obsessing over it.. I won't need a bottle, but I will enjoy my decant.

I thought I might never get a chance to sniff this, but a partial imp was given to me as a freebie by an awesome seller!

In bottle: Incredibly interesting and unlike anything I’ve smelled so far! I don’t really know how to describe what I’m smelling. It’s a very “high-pitched” scent.

On me, wet: Faint, woody

On me, drying: Sweet aromatic wood. It reminds me of cedar, but I’m guessing that it’s the teak. Quite pretty. In retrospect, I’m guessing that the in-bottle scent was the “cream accord” – it had a creamy quality to it, but sweet, like cream soda or something.

Verdict: A very nice scent. I’m glad to have had the chance to test it, but I’m not going to be tortured by my inability to buy a bottle. Best of both worlds, I guess.

Oh god Im in trouble. Why did someone have to send me a sniffie of this? (Not that I'm being ungrarteful :blush: )

Wow this is gorgeus, and powerful. It's almost like it's an offspring of a less spicy Snake Oil & Storyville. It's musky, and the teak is such an interesting note, to have a wood in amongst all this foodyness. The cream accord in this is stunning, it's like a vanillary thick gloopy smell that's rich and sugary. This is divine! So sad I missed this one. It's seriously gorgeous.

The throw is massive, and I don't think you'd really need alot on.

This will sound strange, but the musky woodyness of this as it dries makes me think of a more feminine version of Tristran. Dunno why, sometimes the nose does funny things. It's like Tristrans sister.

The point where this oil is properly dry is effing bootiful also, the thick cream has backed off and I can smell the wood and something else. Truly truly gorgeous!

I seriously can't stop sniffing.

*Goes on the hunt in order to be able to slather!*

Edited by ouch!

Got this as part of decant circle. Misplaced it and just found it.

Wet: Mmm. Creamy goodness.

Dry: Oh my stars. I LOVE this. Still creamy, but I can smell some of the other notes joining the party. Hopefully, it will turn to baby powder so I don't have to kick myself for not springing for a bottle.

A bit later: Drat. I just keeps getting better! *kicks self*

:sad:

Creammy, slightly foody, very feminine, but perhaps a bit older smelling than I prefer. It seems to have the vanilla that I'm just so-so on.

I'm so glad I got to try it, but I'm even happier that I don't feel the need to hunt any down.

This is gorgeous and I am heartbroken that it's probably a bit out of my league as far as actually acquiring it for my own. As befits the name, it's a luminescent and warmly feminine scent-- the sweet golden glow of amber and lotus slathered in vanilla cream and grounded by deep rich wood. Simple but complex-smelling and ridiculously good. Out of everything I tried at the lovely meetup I attended tonight, this was the one I kept going back to and sniffing over and over. I doubt I'll be able to get it anytime soon, but a girl can dream...

Snap Judgements: I was gifted a partial decant of this by my very generous switch witch. I put it on my wishlist because of its popularity, but I never really actively tried to find it, mostly because the lotus note is a little scary and teak often goes horribly wrong on me. I’m excited to get to try such a sought-after blend though!

In the Bottle: Rich, thick cream. I can detect a little bit of sharpness coming from the teak.

Wet: Initially, this threatens to go the way of Love’s Philosophy on me – fakey plastic. It also has very little throw in the wet stage. However, as it dries down it smooths out and intensifies in throw, with the teak really warming up and deepening the cream.

Dry: The cream adds smoothness, the teak adds depth, the amber adds warmth, and the lotus adds a touch of sweetness. The end result is a perfect, harmonious balance between the four listed notes. It has good throw, but isn't overpowering at all.

Final Thoughts: Oh wow. This is completely amazing on me! :thud: It is a very very sexy in a down-to-earth sort of way, and if I had a whole bottle, it would probably become a staple work scent. It actually brings up a childhood memory of the bedroom set my grandmother used to keep for me at her house. It was made of polished blonde wood, and I loved the feel of the smooth surface as I ran my hands over it. This scent reminds me of that wood – creamy and glowing, but sturdy. Now I just have to figure out how to get more…

This was frimped to me by a generous and lovely forum member. Thank you! :wub2:

I am both very happy and very sad about this scent. I'm happy because now I don't have to go on the hunt for more of it. I'm very sad because I don't get all the lovely smelly goodness that everyone else seems to :(

In the imp: oooh! this smells promising! it smells exactly like the first word, 'glowing'. It's a warm ambery-wood scent with the fizzy sweet lotus layered overtop to give it some gumption. This is lovely!

On skin: ...but wait. What's this? the instant I apply it, the amber and lotus vanish completely and it turns into this sweet-thick-cloying-cream plus TEAKTEAKTEAK combo. Cream rarely works on me, but I loved Miller vs. Cali so I hoped that had turned around... but this scent is literally sickening. I was eating breakfast (grapefruit, omnom) when I applied it and I really had to be careful how I ate so I didn't get a whiff of the stuff. :cry2:

Ten minutes: No change. okay. this has to be washed off.

20 minutes: the wretched scent won't - go - away. And it has serious throw, too. After washing my hands three times with two different kinds of soap, I finally pulled out a body scrub and spent a few minutes with my hands under the faucet in attempt to scrub it off. My hands smart now, as I'm pretty sure I removed a few layers of skin, but I can barely smell it anymore. I'll wash them again in a minute and hopefully it will finally leave without a trace.

In short: Not for me. it will get passed on to someone who can love it more.

Sensual and creamy....this is so good! I'm forever grateful to the amazing lady who gave me a partial decant.

Wow. I definitely get the same cream note from Love's Philosophy, which immediately makes me love this. It's very creamy- almost velvety. I don't really detect the teak- just creamy amber with...something else. It's very well blended. Once it's completely dry it reminds me of Moroccco in a way. Kind of cookie spiciness.

Now I just have to track down more...

I got to try this thanks to an incredibly generous forumite, and I am SO grateful! I read the notes when I put it on and I'd somehow not noticed the amber listed in the description, so I was worried, and expected it to not work on me, since amber hates me and always turns into baby powder on me. Always...except this time, somehow. WTH? I'm thrilled! Not only is it not baby powder, but sweet zombie Jesus this is BEAUTIFUL.

It started out all cream and lotus, but then the teak and amber came out when it warmed on my skin, and it almost seems like there's tonka somewhere in here despite its total absence from the description. The amber and teak keep the cream/lotus combo from being too sweet or sharp, and everything blends into this delicious, warm, creamy wood with a delicate whiff of lotus, even ten hours after I put it on. I NEED more of this.

I’ve had this for quite some time; purchased it when it was live in 2008.

I go through phases; I have a bit of a hoarders propensity when it comes to BPAL.

I needed to create a bit of distance from my stash; I needed some time with my other fragrances.

I also needed to rein in my spending; too much of a good thing doesn’t work for me..alas.

ANYWAY..I missed my BPAL..missed experiencing and writing my journey with scent so that’s why I’m doing this now. I want to enjoy what I have.

So..with no further ado:

Initial sniff from bottle: Smells buttery..almost foody…and I get a twinge of perfumey sharpness..maybe that’s the teak? Not sure I’m getting any of the other notes.

Looking back on previous posts I see I’m not the only one registering the “perfumey” slant so that’s good to know.

Applied wet on skin: It’s the cream with that slightly sharp perfume note which I’m assuming is the teak..the amber’s underneath it all..giving it roundness and warmth and depth..there’s a wisp of something sweet like..but I woudn’t have recognized it as lotus blossom..but that could just be because I’m not experienced enough with identifying notes.

Couple of minutes on skin:Creamy muted teak thrust in golden warm amber. All very smooth. Not foody to my nose..I like it.

10 minutes later:It’s creamy amber and it’s nice.

Am going to go shovel snow; see how my wrist behaves after some exertion.

2 HOURS LATER....

Dry: It’s still this smooth golden sweet warmth with that twinge of teak twinkling softly.

Lasting power is impressive 6+hours with throw moderate.

Bottom Line: GVARB is popular and for good reason; I enjoy wearing it and can see reaching for it in late winter and early spring. Keeper indeed.

Wow. I never thought there was a "creamy resinous wood" category of fragrances but apparently there is, and this is a shining example. It smells mostly of the cream in the bottle and wet, but in a minute or so it just blossoms into this amazing perfectly balanced scent of sexy, very sandalwood-esque teak absolutely drenched in creamy amber. There's a foody aspect to this but it's not a foody scent per se. I don't really get lotus out of it, maybe that just rounds out the blend with a touch more of femininity but I can't particularly pick it out. It also has amazing staying power, and my skin doesn't need much perfume to amp it around to begin with, which made me relieved that I won't have to hunt down another bottle.

Edited by Invidiana

I've been lucky enough to be gifted with a couple of half decants of this gorgeous blend. And then, miracle of miracles, I stumbled upon an opportunity to swap for a whole bottle of my very own! I adore this blend, it has the most beautiful, creamy, warm, golden amber throw. It is so smooth, velvety, and just gorgeous. And thankfully it is one of the stronger BPAL oils I've tried, so a few small dabs go a long way.

If you like Glowing Vulva try: Antikythera Mechanism, Love's Philosophy, Paduan Killer Swarm (the drydown on this one seem very close to me).

This was frimped to me by a very sweet person, and of course it's love at first sniff. :wub2:

Lotus tends to be bubblegum sweet and I think the cream, teak and amber are beating it into a golden, creamy vanilla submission. It reminds me of a classier, teak-infused version of Dragon's Milk.

It's absolutely perfect on my skin. Must have bottle. Poor bank account...

This could be beautiful on some one else. Unfortunately on me it becomes something I can only describe as hot, buttered perfume. Cream and lotus is a bad combo only skin. One for the sell/swap pile.

Holy goodness, this blend is down right georgeous. Before even reading the notes in this blend I got a blast of the cream and amber right from the start. This is a warm and comforting blend that gives off that cozy blanket feel when wearing it. I have had this bottle for a while and knew it was a popular blend, but I always overlooked it in my collection. I am so glad it jumped into my hand today to try because it is a real beauty. I hope the lab brings this one back at some point from the dead because it it back up worthy and I was not around for the first release. :wub2:

I was lucky, my first real toe-dip into buying LEs was when this one came around back in 2008. Got a decant of it, but fell in love with reviews of it before I even received the decant, and bought a bottle unsniffed. So happy I did! I wore it and wore it and wore it...and became sick of it, and relegated it to the back of my stash, and only just recently remembered it existed. So, since I never wrote a review of it back then...

Wet: Very, very creamy, with just a tiny hint of bright sharpness poking through.

Dry: The only word for it is "glowing". The cream mellows out, revealing a hint of the resin and the wood working together to make a very soft, aged-wood type scent, overlaid with deliciously glowing cream. It's warm, and it's very sensuous and sexy, and extremely comforting. I generally like mellow woody scents, and this one is perfect. Very happy to have rediscovered it, and it will be finding a place in my weekly rotation again.

Wow, I got to try this today for the first time. I understand why this is so highly spoken of and sought after. It's an incredible creamy soft warmth of a scent with amazing throw and lasting power. As pretty and glowing as it is, it's not quite my type of thing. I think the teak is the culprit, something about the wood notes I've tried always end up a no go for me, but I'm so thrilled to have had the chance to try this one. :)

Thanks to the lovely forumite that sent this to me! (On a side note, I love that although this scent is in such high demand, a ton of the reviews mention that they received theirs as a gift. This community is amazing. :wub2: )

This reminds me of Black Lace--maybe they share the vanilla/cream note? Anyway, it's gorgeous. Creamy vanilla cream, a bit of amber, powdery and warm, a hint of teak, and sweetness (but not bubblegum!) from the lotus. I can see why this is so treasured. I am now even more eager to get my Glowing Vulva Bath Oil!

Sniffed: Decadent sweet cream, deepened by teakwood.

On skin: Glowing Vulva is gorgeous, especially when just applied to my skin. All the notes are present and harmonizing so well: rich cream accord is sweetened by lotus blossom, brightened by amber, and grounded in smooth, dark teak. The lotus really blooms upon drydown, becoming turning the blend even more sweet and luxurious. Dry, radiant amber also emerges over time. This is indeed a gently glowing, warm scent, full-bodied and voluptuous and delectable. Thoroughly sensual. Colour impression is cream-white blushed with light pink and dark red-brown.

I tested Glowing Vulva with The Antikythera Mechanism, and they are somewhat similar in the teak and vanilla/creamy notes. Perhaps the Antikythera Mechanism is a masculine variant, and Glowing Vulva is the feminine variant on the same theme.

Verdict: Well, I can tell why this is in such high demand. Glowing Vulva at Ryogoku Bridge is quite delicious -- I love the cream and teak notes. However, the lotus blossom pushes it into too-sweet territory after drydown, and too-sweet is a big No for me. I'm quite glad that I'm not in love, but also glad that I had a chance to test this beautiful blend!

In tester: oh gosh. Creamy, golden/orange smell, warm teak, slight floral. The initial thought I had was, no way this is close to Half Elf v5 (which I obtained much earlier)!

Wet on skin: ohhh maaaaan. Absolutely beautiful. Creamy, non-plasticky, almost-foody-but-not-quite. Non-powdery amber so far, too! This is gorgeous. Soft and creamy golden orange glowing scent. Very creamy, very smooth, very sexy. Honeyed, but not exactly sweet.

Dry: DAAAAAAAMN. Cream that does not go plastic, and amber that does not turn powdery. Gorgeous, smooth teak, a touch of lotus blossom. Fabulous glowing golden blend. All throughout this test I've been swearing to myself, because I will have to hunt for a bottle of this, which will not make my wallet happy. I tested some other blends after, but I keep going back to this one--and as it stays on my skin (fabulous throw, just right), it's smoother, woodier, deeper, but still very beautiful. Definitely creamier and more full-bodied than Half Elf v5.

Verdict: alas, my wallet is weeping. I need to hunt down more of this.

P.S. I have to agree with Vega on this one, now that I've just seen her review--this, to my memory, is a feminine Antikythera Mechanism. I fell in love with Antikythera Mechanism, and wanted to get a bottle, even though it's definitely too masculine for my wearing. So I guess it's no surprise why I've fallen in love with this.

P.P.S. The throw is nothing short of amazing. One single dot from a wand cap, and it's almost too much. This is definitely one blend where I don't think I'll ever need a backup for, since one drop is enough to last for the whole day and then some.

Edited by angelamaria

Thoughts: I was frimped this by my most excellent Switch Witch! I cried a little when I saw it because GV is listed in my Excel wish list as "Hahaha. Yeah right." I've wanted to try this since I first found BPAL, but never expected to be able to. I have high hopes for this blend because I love all of the notes listed. Thank you my Witch!

Wet: High pitched shrieking teak. WTF skin?! Where's the cream and lotus and amber?!

Dry down: Still nothing but shrieking teak.

Dry: I can't believe that all I'm getting from this blend is sharp teak. I'm so disappointed.

Thoughts: It is the week before that time of month for me, so I won't give up hope for Glowing Vulva yet! I'll retest in about two weeks when my hormones have calmed down a little and hope that it'll make a difference.

Final thoughts: It's been a full two weeks since my initial testing, and any hormonal issues should be done. Sadly, the second test is identical :cry2:

Verdict: Glowing Vulva is sadly not for me.

Edited by Alethia