Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alicia_stardust

Ugh Massage Oil

Muscle ache relief. The combination of arnica, rosehip, evening primrose, almond oil, and apricot kernel oil is high in vitamin C and gamma-linolenic acid, and coupled with analgesic eucalyptus, invigorating orange, and refreshing rosemary, this blend is said to help heal bruises, reduce swelling, and soothe strained muscles and aching tendons.

Almond oil, apricot kernel oil, refined rice bran oil, arnica infusion, rosehip, evening primrose, vitamin E, Eucalyptus globules, Citrus sinensis, Rosemary officinalis, Mentha piperita, and Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab oil blends.

I was certain I had already reviewed this but apparently my review was part of the chatter in the BPTP area of the forum. :P

I have been using arnica in various forms for many years because I stay very active in dance class and it often results in sore and aching muscles. I was thrilled to see the arnica listed in UGH Massage Oil.

The massage oil itself is the same stellar consistency and glide that the other BPTP massage oils have. It sinks into my skin quickly and leaves very little worry of greasy smudges and stains.

The fragrance of UGH is potent, but I do find it soothing. The eucalyptus steals the show initially but as it mellows the orange builds and builds. The fragrance is, strangely enough, relaxing to me and I find that the combined act of working the oil into my muscles, the effects of the oil itself, and the fragrance all lead me toward a nice state of relief. This is lovely stuff, peeps, and if you are active or often find yourself debilitated by aches and pains you need to try this!!

UGH smells awesome. Sort of like Ricola cough drops and sort of like Sprite! It's very refreshing.

This has an amazing effect on tired muscles. It's not warming or cooling, but...tingling. You really feel it even after you've rubbed in into the skin. Wonderful.

This oil really smells fantastic!
Oranges and lavender!! fabulous!

I have used it on my calves and fore-arms & it just felt great! very smooth & not at all greasy!
I can't verify the "relieves bruises" part because their weren't any bruises to heal ^_~

Very lovely oil & I'm very happy with it :wub2:

Oh yes yes yes!

I bought Urgh as I have ME/Fibromyalgia and need all I can to offset aches and pains and.......it is great. I just massaged some into my neck and shoulders and already the tightness is ebbing and the pain is dulled, replaced with a light tingling sensation. My shoulders have dropped and feel looser ad now the rest of my back is crying out going "me,me" but it will have to wait till the Husband gets home.

It also has a psychological effect - I was nodding off at the computer and it has woken me up and put me in a cheerful mood,not an easy thing to achieve unless you are a big bar of chocolate or David Tennant. (If you are either of these then do PM me one day :P ).

The texture is smooth, light and absorbs easily. As for the niff of it, it smells acutely of eucalyptus at first, then rosemary then the orange blossoms through like a brisk, smiling, efficent nurse giving you a herbal bed bath. If you know the Carry On movies, then imagine Hattie Jacques with a bosom full of herbs and fruit, cranking out your knots with a sweep of her flannel.

Cooling and warming all at once, it lifts dull spirits and drops them off at a jollier place.

I will need a lot of this.

Ugh! I love it, and I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to review.

First off, the label is absolutely gorgeous. I know I should be storing the bottle somewhere other than my bathroom, but it just looks so darned good on my mid-century reminiscent shelf.

The smell is strong eucalyptus at first, but after it's on the skin, the citrus and rosemary come out. I thought the scent might be too astringent for bedtime, but it's actually quite relaxing once it's warmed up by body heat.

It has a fantastic slippy texture. I massage it into my neck and shoulders before bed when I'm having a particularly bad day (I have chronic myofascial pain syndrome), and while it does leave fragrance behind on my collar, it does NOT leave behind any grease or sticky residue.

The one thing that I always think when using it is how absolutely perfect it would be to use for the aches and pains that come with a cold or flu. Well, that and I think about how much better it smells than my plain ol' arnica gel, which smells of feet.

I've had it for a few months now, and I've barely put a dent in it... I'd better start getting more massages!

I love this and bought a bottle. The Mr doesn't like the smell so I took it to my massage therapist. She loves the scent as well and she loves using it on me. I just have to say I'm going to get more.

This stuff is fantastic. I love it! Not sure how I hadn't reviewed it yet.

Slippery texture, but not greasy and it absorbs easily into the skin. The scent is a bit strong at first, but once it warms up it becomes a delightful citrus. Amazing for aches and pains.

Ugggggghhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm. I love it. I've been killing myself lately with intense training, and this is such a nice reward for the end of the day when the cardio and the weights are done and I can just mellow out.

It's a very potent eucalyptus at first, but it mellows out quickly into a faintly sweet and lightly citrused bit of yum that clings to the skin after the oil is absorbed. While I can't comment on how effective it is on healing bruises, it sure does some sore, stiff muscles something good.

Scent: eucalyptus and orange. Medicinal at first but fades to something softer quickly.

Nice slip.

I had a bad fall - down the stairs - and used this on my bruises. It actually helped heal the bruises much more quickly than usual. I am impressed!

I can't believe I've never reviewed this! It's like, my favorite thing ever. I have chronic pain of various and sundry types, and this oil is so soothing. It helps with the muscle aches and tightness, and the smell is good no matter how I'm feeling. It doesn't feel greasy, just nice and slick for the massage and light afterwards. Even my extremely oil-averse husband, who hates touching oily and greasy things,w ill use this oil on me because it's so relatively pleasant and so obviously helps me. I could not recommend this oil more, and I sort of want gallons of it to keep around. May they never, ever discontinue this stuff!

The Ugh massage oil makes more sense to me than the perfume oil. I wasn't sure about rubbing straight perfume oil into my sore muscles, and it seemed like I'd go through 5mls pretty quickly doing so. I still don't care for the smell of this at first, like lemon menthol cough drops. After this sits on my skin for a minute, though, it smells like a sweet orange oil, and it's actually very pleasant. I think there's a little bit of cooling sensation as well, though I wish that were stronger & longer lasting.

The massage oils leave my skin feeling a bit sticky, so I tend to shower after using them. I think that my favorite is still TKO (and Mineral Ice, lol). TKO helps my sore muscles just as much, and I find the smell more soothing. Mineral Ice is just freezing, numbing goodness.

ETA:

I actually have had sore muscles and a bruise to test this out on the past couple days. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed this helping at all, and I was mistaken in thinking that this had a cooling sensation. I've been rubbing this all over my sore legs (and not even showering afterwards) and I don't notice a cooling sensation at all. My bruises haven't healed any faster than usual either, and this works just as good for soothing muscles as any plain massage does for me.

I'd probably only recommend this if you like the medicinal, sweet orange scent that it has.

Edited by Little Bird

this is truly an amazing scent :thud:

and I did not expect that form this one to be honoust

Eucalyptus, Orange and Rosemary make a marvelous combination together

very smooth to use and very good for massages because of the perfect concistency

I might need a whole bottle of this one!

At first, this is kind of medicinal, fitting for something that would be for muscle relief. After a few minutes the medicinal scent disappears and there is a faint, lavender herbally smell. It actually reminds me of something else that I have, but I can't quite put my finger on. Probably something I have with lavender. Maybe Bat of Longevity when it's wet? It's nice, but not sure I'd spring for a bottle. Not sure if it is even available.

I have to say that I get the eucalyptus and tons of orange, so it's this nice minty herbal orange in fragrance.

MMMmmm. Love the scent!

Besides TKO, the best massage oil Mr. Schmoozy & I have ever used. We are outdoor adventure freaks and sore, aching muscles are the norm. We have tried many oils and bars claiming to soothe aches & pains and the only one that can compare is Wiccy Magic Muscles from LUSH. UGH has beaten it hands down. Eucalyptus and rosemary are the dominant scents. Together they work instantly to attack the aches/pains & sore muscles. It's refreshing, invigorating and extremely relaxing. Once it has sinked the orange slowly creeps in and the heat from the skin produces this incrediably soothing/peaceful scent.

Thank gods for UGH, and bye bye Rub-A535, Tiger Balm and all that other shit Mr. Schmoozy had lying around. I can now throw out the gas masks.

So, I got my bottle today, and let me tell you it was much anticipated. Several overnights at work, as well as closings, have left me very sore.

While I'm sure it would be even more effective if I had someone to give me massages, from the limited areas I can reach on my own, it seems quite nice. I'm not getting any of the tingly feeling others report (but then, my skin is very tough and thick, I think, as even strong mint oils don't tingle), but the scent is quite soothing (herbal orange candy!) and... well, I do feel a little less pain. And the effect is lingering. I'll have to try and remember to update this review after some continuous use. I certainly like the scent, and the feel of it is amaaaazing. Very smooth, and not greasy or sticky. Makes it feel like your hands are just gliding across your skin. Let's hope the effects are cumulative. ^_^

I bought this for my husband. He was in a motorcycle/car accident(the car won) and is now basically stuck in bed for all but the occational quick trip out in his wheel chair.

I know he gets achy from being in the bed all the time so I thought it would be a nice surprise. The thing that made me nervous was he hates smelly things for the most part. Despises them. There are only a handful of bpals I can wear around him. But he loves eucalyptus and a few other scents in that family. After hemming and hawing I added it to my order and figured I could use it on myself if he didn't like it.

So I let him sniff it today and he gave it his seal of approval. When I started using it though even though I had use used a quarter sized amount it smelled strong! I started getting nervous again and I told him I could dilute the oil with another carrier if he wanted. "No!" he insisted, the smell was perfect.

It gets the sore man stamp of approval. 5 hours later he says he's still feeling much better.

I smelled the eucalyptus and the rosemary at first and then the orange came out as it was used. Can't wait for my turn.

This is absolutely amazing!!!! First off it smells like Vicks vapor rub mixed with orange - so instead of being a sharp medicinal scent it is a warm, cuddly, you are going to feel better medicinal type scent. It soaks in very well and does not make my sensitive skin break out.

Best of all though - the arnica is truly helping with some bruising. I had knee surgery this Past Thursday and this left me with an approximately three inch square bruise on my hand where they failed to find a vein for the IV. The bruise hurt a little, but mostly just looked horrible. I bruise really easily and even after the pain is gone the bruises tend to stick around. I've applied ugh to the bruise a couple times a day for the past few days as it is much less painful and starting to green, which is much faster than usual. I'm not sure it's that different from regular arnica cream/ointment that I normally use, except that it smells so much better and soaks in faster, without leaving a sticky/greasy residue. I will now turn to UGH anytime I'm dealing with pain or bruising.

I also suspect it will work nicely as a chest rub for dealing with colds.

I tried this on my husband who was sore from moving stuff up from basement yesterday. I ditto what everyone said about herbal menthol citrus scent. It's comforting, but also smells like it means business. I was afraid he'd complain about the menthol because he's kind of a baby like that, but he said it was fine! It really helped him feel better, so this was definitely a success.

My husband has a back that regularly gets unhappy, and I have gotten used to using arnica cream on him. Soooo, I said, why not get some massage oil with arnica, and the added bonus of BPAL magic? Wow, am I glad.

His skin DRINKS the stuff, and it makes him feel much better. He says it feels warm, going on, unlike most oils. And I love the scent. An added bonus is that it makes my hands feel good, applying it. I normally have my hands get very tired, working on him (I have rheumatoid arthritis). But using this, I can just keep going, and don't feel it much at all. This is going to be a regular purchase from now on!