Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Katharina

Katharina

A strong, willful blend with a soft, utterly lovely soul: white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom.

In the imp: apricot! So pretty, it smells like sweet apricots in sugar syrup.

Wet on skin: apricot and the barest hint of orange blossom.

Dry: this is to apricot what Fae is to peach. A pretty, dainty apricot note surrounded by a frilly scent of white musk. The orange blossom adds a slightly bitter bite but doesn’t detract from the gorgeous delicate scent of apricots and white musk. Sweet and juicy yet smooth, almost powdery, and clean.

After a while: this smells so similar to Fae now, and also resembles Aglaea. It’s not as complex though as those two, this is a nice uncomplicated white musk and apricot scent (however I do agree with many other reviews/remarks that the apricot smells peachy here). The white musk note is lovely but there’s an odd bitterness/sharpness to it which I’m sure is orange blossom.

The white musk gets stronger over time, and the apricot note gains an effervescent, airy feel.

Verdict: I like this dainty, delicate and pretty fragrance, a nice balance of apricot and white musk. Usually apricot is very sweet and though this starts off as sweet and apricot dominated, over time it starts to smell like peach, a lot more tart and tangy and light. The scent ends very nicely on a white musky apricot with more musk than before. The orange blossom isn’t too noticeable but does add something slightly bittersweet to the scent. However, it is so similar to Fae to my nose, but without all the other notes that made Fae a little more complex, and though I like this, I prefer Fae.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Might swap the imp off.

If you like this, try: Fae, Yerevan, Aglaea, Imp, Tamora, Thaleia, Depraved

In the bottle, this smelled just like juicy pears and apricots to me - so I was a bit afraid it would be *too* fruity. On my skin, it was like a giant apricot at first, but then a little musk floated through. I put on quite a bit so I could smell it properly, and I really feel like Katharina's a perfect springtime scent.

I couldn't smell the orange blossom until much later after a complete drydown - and I do wish it would last a bit longer. Maybe not a bottle contender, but I will definitely use the imp!

In the bottle:

Ooh, that's yummy. Apricot with a touch of citrus, yet very creamy/soft.

Wet:

Fresh, fresh, apricot and orange.

Dry down:

Still smells like apricot and orange, but it's mellowed out. I can get the white musk. Vaguely sweet and creamy.

Final thoughts:

Subtle, good and fresh - even better than I was hoping for. Definitely young, but not at all too young for me to wear. I like it.

First on this is orange and apricot on me, which gradually dries down to a warm, musky apricot. But I don't really like it -- the apricot warmth is a little too close to amber for my comfort. Meh. It's not for me.

Would agree with those who've said Kathatina:apricot::Fae:peach. So if you like Fae I bet you would enjoy Katharina, especially if you like apricot.

This is a very, very sweet fruity scent. It reminds me a lot of The Body Shop's Mango Body Butter -though I don't think there is actual mango in it, it's in that vein. I'm not smelling any musk, mostly just apricot tinged with orange blossom. I don't looove it but it's alright. I'm going to have to try this again and see how I feel about it.

IN BOTTLE: Fresh, light, pink, orange, and green. A spring breeze with light fruits. I definately smell the apricot the most, but maybe it's the orange blossom that's taming it.

FIRST APPLIED: It takes on an almost minty tone - sharp, light, bright and clean, without the "stickiness" of most other sweet smells I like. I like this one too, though.

Then bam. It turns a bit soapy and powdery. It's not dry, however, so it still has time to redeem itself. I guess that must be the musk coming out. Musk ALWAYS comes out on me. :P My boyfriend likes it a lot, saying it reminds him of Glade plug-ins and childhood.

DRY-DOWN: Now, the musk has faded and all I can smell is the apricot and orange blossom. It's a nice, fruity floral, and it's clean and dry, but still sweet. I like it. I could only wear it with something light and flowy, though! Odd, wasn't Katharina supposed to be a stubborn and willful older daughter (like me, herher)? You'd think it'd smell "tougher" than this. It's still a great smell :D

Edited by ☆ a n o w y n ☆

This is light and pretty, a slightly spicy apricot leavened by the sweetness of orange blossom. It goes on warm and rich, with the gentle lushness of white musk keeping it from being too foody or too clean. It has formidable throw, this fruity, apricotty aura, but isn't overwhelming close-in.

Very close, the apricot takes on an almost vanilla tinge. It's sticky-sweet and very pleasant, without being overwhelmingly sugary or smelling in any way artificial or juvenile.

Delightfully simple, and one I'll recommend to people who have liked the peach blends in the past; Fae, Aglaea, etc., but might have wished for something lighter. This is similar enough to belong in the same class, but it's very light and polite. Recommended.

I started out with high hopes for Katharina, as I put it on and smelled delicious tangy apricots. The orange blossom combines with my skin in an unfortunate way, though, and it turned too sour pretty quickly.

In the Imp: Absolutely beautiful, apricot and champagne with a touch of musk. I new right away that was going to be one that my skin's chemistry was going to love. It smells light, fresh and a perfect scent to begin spring.

After initial application: Apricot, apricot, apricot. I adore fruity scents and Katharina is fruity. I think I detect a little orange in here.

After a half an hour: The apricot has really faded and the orange and white musk have developed really nicely together, transforming into a beautiful, light perfume.

After an hour: I am really bummed as the Katharina has completely dissappeared. The scent has become so light. I guess I'll just have to reapply often! :P

I definitely see a bottle of this in my future.

I received this in an imp lot I bought. It is masterfully put together and would be a lovely scent except for the fact that apricot smell turns my stomach. Ever since I got sick on apricot pie as a child I cannot even smell the fruit...

I had to just recap it :P

Oh, I wish I could like this! (Looks like a swap is in the future.)

Fresh apricots drying down to dark, musky apricots. The musk keeps this from being too fruity in a "Is someone eating apricots in here?" way. Not too much staying power but I think this beats March Hare and Grand Guignol in the BPAL apricot ranks.

In the imp: Wow, the fruit! I thought I had sniffed this one and found it too floral, but I realized I hadn't and today would be a good day to try it ^.^

On: So much apricot! It's fruity and bright and lovely. I think this is my first true BPAL fruit scent, so it's a nice surprise! I have a slight suspicion that this might be a little headachey for me, but I hope not - because I really like it. And want to eat some apricots.

This is a very pretty, fresh apricot scent. I smell the musk and orange blossom in the background, and they mingle very well. The overall effect is sweet and feminine. I do like this a lot, although I may not need a bottle since I already have Fae and Aglaea.

In imp: Beautiful. Lightly fruity, little or no musk.

Wet, on skin: My first thought was "Coconut? Where's that coming from?" It smells like a very light version of suntan lotion.

Dry: I get nice, light apricot with odd spikes of that same coconut scent. I've just read through several pages of reviews and not seen anyone else getting this... perhaps I am crazed.

Overall: Will try again another day - maybe even another imp? - because, but for the coconut spikes, I like the scent.

This is fresh enough to make my mouth water. I love apricot, and orange and musk, and I am enjoying the hell out of wearing this blend. It's very cheery, the springtime nature of the fruit, the sweetness and the soothing musk are lovely on a gloomy Monday. The apricot is definitely the star of the show here.

The apricot does fade out a bit, but the orange blossom and musk are still bright and sweet. I wish the blend as whole lasted longer, it demands a refresh about every 2-3 hours.

In the vial - Yum, mostly orange with a hint of apricot, I don't get any musk and I like that fact. Very fresh and fruity.

Wet on my skin - A nice apricot scent with a citrussy background, not musk yet, very nice. Unfortunately, it seems like this will fade in a heartbeat, I can hardly smell it unless I put my wrist right in front of my nose. :P

Drydown - This is so beautiful. The orange stays in the background now and I think I get a whiff of musk now and then, which isn't bad at all. Overall, it's still shiny, bright apricot goodness. It would probably become my #1 summer / spring scent if just lasted a tad longer. =[

I'll try Fae, maybe it'll last longer and will be just as pretty as Katharina on my skin.

I put Katharina on before I looked up the notes, and was amazed to see apricot. Now that I'm sniffing the imp, I can smell it, but on me, I don't get any fruit at all. What I do get is a warm, rich, fresh and sweet scent- like gardenias, only without the sickliness. The musk is light and well-balanced. This one is going on the bottle list!

this sounded lovely but didn't do much for me, which is a surprise because I love apricots and orange blossoms. The smell is pretty consistent and didn't morph much on me. It was very very light and smelled like a mix between jelly candies from the Sweet Factory and baby wipes (clean, of course). I will try it again when it is a different TOM, but I think I will stick to Aglaea and give this one to someone else to try. It could be very pretty on the right person.

Bought this in an imp pack for a friend - I'm an ~*~enabler~*~. But I am also a really awful person, and all, so I snuck a tiny bit out (with the plastic bit off a q-tip, so as not to contaminate it.)

And omgomgomg the Fae references are DEAD ON. And I LOVE Fae. A bit sweeter and more syrupy, but only in comparison - it's still bright, fresh, sweet-orange fruit, and the white musk does that same brilliant sparkling thing, and agh! Big bottle list! Right now! If any of the scents get her, it'll probably be this one, hehe.

In the Bottle: Sweet, heady apricot.

Wet on Skin: Warm, rich, still a lot of apricot.

Dry on Skin: Musk emerging to blend with the apricot.

I'm sort of neutral on this one. It was pretty good, but the musk sort of overpowered the apricot eventually, and I would have preferred the pure apricot scent of it in the bottle or wet on my skin. I think I need to give it another try though, and see how it does.

Katharina is primarily for me the 'bright sharp' apricot. I just wish she was a little sweeter and that the white musk was a bit shinier. To swaps with you.

Oh my! This is so refreshing! Aquatic definitely, with a slightly foody backdrop what with the vanilla. Oh, this is really different, I like it a lot. I didn't think I'd like it at all with the orange, but I can't even detect a bit of the foul orange note. It's all sparkling, refreshing white musk and light, dewy apricot, mmmmmmmm. I do detect vanilla even though it's unlisted. I don't know how this is aquatic, but it is. There main scent is of fresh running water with some foodyness in the back. Utterly delightful! Sweet, but not an overpowering type at all; a youthful scent. Apricot for the win, yummy yummy.

After half and hour the apricot comes out as the main scent, little to no aquatics, strengthened with some velvety muskiness. The orange maybe is present in a slight perfumy yeastiness anchoring in the back (orange pollen, maybe?), but it's not a rotten fruit scent on me as is the usual. Really, really delightful. So glad I tried this one, sent as a frimp. I could wear this as a pick-me-up anywhere, or as a spring scent. The only problem I'm finding is the scent is so zippy that is fizzes up my nose and coats the back of my throat with a slight chemically something. So, keep the sniffing to a minimum during meals.

ETA 05/17/09. I must say, this is even better with age. The zippy fizziness has left, and instead Katharina is a refreshing but also intoxicating apricot scent, and I like it a great deal better than Tamora or other peachy scents. I want to call Katharina a vanilla apricot, but it must be the orange blossom deepening the perfume. It's GORGEOUS, I love it even more now than I did before, but I don't wear it nearly enough since I still only have an imp. I'll be looking for an aged bottle or a new bottle to store away very soon. :>

Edited by modillian

In the imp and wet on my skin, Katharina is all apricots. Dry, I can smell the white musk beneath it. I'm not getting orange blossom at all but I can't complain; Katharina is lovely.

In the bottle: warmly fruity, in a sort of round way, with a single column of brightness, a note that stands slightly apart. Not quite singing in blended harmony, but certainly not dissonant or truly disconnected.

On me (dry): warm and pretty, fruit-sweet evolving to sweetly seductive. (Seems like the musk comes out over time, which I definitely like, as I'd prefer not to smell like food.)

Conclusion: Keeping the imp, but won't make the top ten list.

In the bottle: I smell.. soft apricot, with a hint of orange blossom behind. Where's the musk, exactly?

On the wrist: Apricot, softened by musk, with the orange blossom a hint of unsweetness in the background. Unsurprisingly, this is somewhat reminiscent of Grand Guignol.

One hour later: It hasn't changed much, except that the notes have blurred a little. Still very much apricot, with a little orange blossom on my right wrist, a little musk on my left. It's quite nice, but I much prefer Grand Guignol.