Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Green, for growth, expansion, prosperity, and stability.
Sage, white mint, grey amber, papaya pulp, crushed grass, cucumber, green musk, green tea, and lime rind.

In the bottle: papaya.
Wet: grass, cucumber, papaya. Just a hint of the lime. Can't smell the mint at all (yay!).
Drydown: The sage comes up more, but the lime, cucumber and papaya are peaceably chatting together. I want to make a cucumber salad with these ingredients as the dressing! Well, other than the musk and amber.

Over time the amber comes out more prominently. Way cool.

My ten-year-old (going on 25) wore this to school this morning also.

This is all about cucumber, green musk and green tea on me. Light and delicate, perfect spring into summer fragrance. Very nice!

Wanted to add that this gets sweeter as time passes in a gentle, appealing way and the throw seems to increase. A bottle is looking more and more likely.

Edited by dirtytrip

Whoa -- in the imp, this smells most unpleasant. As in, wrinkle my nose and hold the imp out at arm's length sort of unpleasant. Of course, since the point when I ordered this decant, I have discovered that green musk is evil. At least, I think that's what wrecked Pollution for me...

On, though, it's not too bad... But not too good, either. It's got a very men's-cologne sort of feel to it, much like Pollution did, though thankfully without the overtones of killer florals. It's definitely got that "green" feel to it, but unfortunately on me that ends up smelling sort of like some kind of deodorant soap. Not exactly bad, but really not something I'd want to smell like on purpose, either.

This phoenix will have to fly on to another home.

Grade: C

Wow. When this goes on, it immediately amps up into Welcome To The Land Of Happy Green Melons! It's actually very close to what Fee does on me, and I was surprised to learn there's no honeydew melon in here, or whatever it is that makes Fee so good. (It didn't do this on the other people who tested it near me, so something's mixing in good ways with my skin chemistry, which is notoriously fickle.)

It stays good, although it goes pretty soft as time goes on. Oh, well, this can be slathered. And the Land of Happy Melons phase is great.

Must Have Bottle.

Green Phoenix is the sort of fragrance that torments me. Half of it is made up of notes that I *love* (papaya, grass, cucumber, and lime), and the other half is notes that I hate (sage, mint, bpal's amber notes, and green musk).

First on, this is a teasing burst of a scent that might actually work on me. It has a bit of juicy fruitiness to it and the refreshing, cool scent of watery cucumbers and green grass. Then the Green Phoenix quickly morphs into a refreshing dryer sheets and men's cologne sort of fragrance. The green musk mixed with green tea keeps making me think of a very crisp cologne. The amber lends its powdery hand into the mix in the drydown. There are hints of fruitiness and an herbal sage every once in a while, but the musk ruins yet another blend for me :P

SO glad I took a chance on a bottle. It just sounded refreshing and awesome, and that's what it is on me.

In bottle: Like a very bright herby field with fruit. Somehow very refreshing.

Wet: Lots of bitter lime scents that sort of waft through what I think is sage. The mint makes it feel cool on my skin.

Initial Drydown: I’m starting to smell more freshly cut grass and the tea. Bright, bitter, but not unpleasantly so. It just has a slight bite to it.

Dry: Sage, grass, tea, cucumber and papaya. Absolutely lovely, fresh, and green.

Color: Sunny green.

Throw: Not very strong, but I didn’t slather it too much either.

Overall: Fantastic. I’m glad I took a chance on this one! 9/10

Delicious! This smells very clean and fresh on me, and it makes me happy just to sniff it. Which is what perfume should do. :P I get mostly cucumber, lime and grass.

In the bottle: Warm and green. Like a humid summer night. Not heavy, but full and rich. The kind of thing that makes you want to sit out on the porch and watch the lightening bugs.

Wet: As soon as it hits my skin I get the hint of amber. The green darkness grows teeth (or talons...).

Drydown: Fresh and spicy. Citrus, amber, grounded with the tea and white mint to keep it from becoming too red/orange and heady.

I swapped my girlfriend a bottle of Blood Phoenix for this -- on her it smelled like swamp rot, but on me it was just delicious. The Blood Phoenix did her favors it would never do me, so we both feel we came out even. :P

This one goes through many stages.

In the bottle, it's incredibly sharp and herbally. The sage, mint, and grass are all probably responsible for this.

First on the skin, it's still sharp and herbally with mainly the sage, mint and grass notes dominating, but just underneath it I smell the papaya and something like melons (?) trying to come forth. I smell something odd, and perhaps that's the green musk, because I can't detect exactly what it is.

After it's dried, however, it smells a lot less sharp and is now quite light but still has decent throw. I smell the fruity part of it - the papaya, cucumber, and lime, though there is something about it that makes me think of melons. The herbally, sharp bit that I don't like eventually fades after about a half hour, and all I get is lovely papayas and cucumbers with a smidgen of lime. After a while I'm reminded of Lush's Green Day bubble bar, which I miss dearly.

Oddly enough, this smells really nice in cold weather. I kept it in my cold car and after I put it on, it went straight to the stage I like, rather than starting in its sharp and herbally stage.

In the bottle: green with medicine candy? Like a medicine cabinet.

Wet: cough drops floating in soapy water. Soap soap soap!

Dry: Unfortunately, the flowers in this are the kind that go soapy on me. I was so sure from the description that this would be like 51 that I ordered a bottle unsniffed. The lime note gets stronger, and it is lovely. My skin chemistry just will not let the soap go away. Ugh, now it's just a big bar of soap.

Green Phoenix is the lightest BPAL I've come across in a while... it doesn't seem to have a lot of strength or throw. And it disappears on me really quickly. Not even the musk seems to linger. Which is unfortunate, because I adore it!

It's wonderfully clean and refreshing and extraordinarily well balanced. I can pick out most of the notes (papaya, yay!), and it doesn't seem like one or two are dominating. That's quite unusual, especially for mint which I find tends to overwhelm a blend, at least initially, or not show up at all. I'm glad my fear that the scent would be hijacked by grass and/or sage was unwarranted.

I may actually end up using up the entire bottle (which would be a first!). Much slathering is required. Oh yeah, and the label art is gorgeous. It looks like all the recent Phoenixes have stunning artwork, but this is the only one I have :P

Edited by Azhriaz

On me this is like the herby bits of Allison Gross without the sweetness of the flowers and dragon's blood. Grassy but not too sharp. It's a little bit 'meh' and I think I might have to try it on another day...

Green Phoenix

In the bottle: crushed stems and bitter grass. Has the potential to go soapy…here’s to hoping it doesn’t.

Wet on skin: dandelions, sweet grass and lilies? I smell just a hint of lime and mint.

Dry on skin: hmm, this is interesting. For now, it is very pretty and agreeable. It smells like Envy, but it’s a lot nicer and less bitter than Envy, this is soft and springy. The sage is a green, fresh variety, not a dry one. I also can detect a hint of fruity-sweet papaya. I don’t get much mint or cucumber yet…maybe just a hint of cucumber. There’s some lime there, and a little bit of tea. But the crushed grass is the dominant note…it’s like fresh stems, or dandelions, in here. This is lovely right now and I hope it stays like this.

After a while: now this has become a little bit soapy. There’s a floral note in here, even though it’s not listed, and it’s one of those white lily-like florals that turns to soap on me. Dammit. Despite the fact I can still smell papaya, cucumber, maybe a little bit of amber too, it’s a white, waxy, soapy floral with hints of bitter greenery that I smell most of all. It’s not bad, but I was hoping for no soapiness at all. However at times it does remind me of Squirting Cucumber, with it’s cucumber and grass with a hint of white floral underneath…it’s a light, breezy summer scent.

Eventually the scent becomes all cucumber and floral grass, no amber, papaya or musk now. It’s a little flat now, which is a shame. However the musk does finally appear after a few hours.

Verdict: I’m funny with grass scents and green scents. whilst I adore the smell of cut grass, some BPAL grass/green scents turn bitter and soapy on me, and sadly this is one of them. But it’s not a bad scent, especially at the start. It smells fresh and spring-like, like grasses and herbs and crushed leaves dappled with dew, cucumber and sweet fruits and even dandelion. I was hoping it would remain lovely and cool and dewy and that the amber, musk and papaya would come out, but sadly that wasn’t the case. The grass note suddenly took over and turned bitter, and something really soapy came out, like a hidden floral note. The scent also lost the other interesting elements of herbs and tea and fruit and went a little bit blandly green on me. I do prefer it to Envy though, which was too bitter for me, this is a softer take on that theme. But sadly this isn’t my thing-and I was hoping for a lovely green scent for spring that would work on me!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No…not so keen on the thin soapy drydown.

If you like this, try: Envy, One to Tie Two to Win, Squirting Cucumber, Aeval, Allison Gross

In Bottle: minty- fruit. lime?

Wet: Fruit (papaya!), and cool cucumber.

Dry: no fruit anymore. just cucumber and a hint of musk. Not very strong throw, but gorgeous all the same!

a Green Phoenix, here, in my humble abode!

upon entering the room, I recognized every single occupant, but White Mint first caught my eye; she was jumping up and down and waving her hands to get my attention. then Cucumber and Papaya Pulp, the unlikely fraternal twins, came to stand near me. we entered into a lively discussion, finally interrupted by little Lime Rind demanding that we look at her latest finger painting. throughout the conversation, though, my eyes kept drifting over to Crushed Grass and Sage, who emanated such strong auras. within minutes of my joining the room, nearly all the sweetness left the face of Papaya Pulp, as she sat overwhelmed by the handsome oratory of Green Musk. little Lime Rind danced a happy dance around Grey Amber and Green Tea as they waxed poetically of summer loves. I took in deep breaths of cool. as the seconds and minutes ticked by, Sage and Crushed Grass took turns entertaining the group, alternately picking others from the room to accompany them.

unfortunately, the visit was over all too quickly . . .

i will return here, often and soon . . .

Edited by YoSaffBridg

In the bottle it smells green (though not quite as strongly green as purple phoenix is purple)...I cannot pick out one single note, it is a subtle blend.

Wet, I get the lime rind instantly, which is good, I like lime. Then, there are some nice grassy/cucumber notes.

Very nice...drat...soap. Not...soapy-soap, but a lovely green glycerine soap from a specialty shop. A soap with a tropical theme (lime and papaya), but with cooling elements as well (grass and cucumber). I'm not getting the sage or musk at all (unless the green musk=soap on me, which it might). The green tea is there, faintly, but it is also part of the soap.

All in all, quite refreshing, but not in a perfume-I-want-to-wear sort of way. More in a, ooh, my hands smell clean, way.

Hm.

In the imp, I get very distinctive hits of lime, mint, grass, and tea.

The papaya comes out on my skin, backed by the lime, the grass, and the tea.

When it dries, it's the musk and the tea - very fresh, clean, and subdued.

This smells fresh and green, with a spike of lime. There’s something bitter here too, and also something quite sweet. It’s like sugared plants with a bitter herb to make you stop and take notice.

Now it smells like there’s amber behind the fresh green plants, and cucumber too. This is gorgeous, so fresh and perfect for spring. The lime is pretty much gone at this point, it only offered that blast in the beginning while still wet. The sweetness is overtaking the fresh green plant scents – that’s what is most noticeable now. It smells like something is candied in here, but I can’t say what. It’s quite sweet, so that must be the amber but I swear there’s white sugar here too. I like this scent a lot, and am amazed at its different stages. Luckily I love them all.

This is perfect for spring and just the thing to help me deal with my spring fever.

In Vial: Fresh and green with a hint of menthol and mint

Wet on skin: Smells like a 'green' cough drop. Very grassy with a hint of sweet. The mint is more faint

Later: This smells fresh and green, a tiny bit floral and is not super sweet. The mint is has lasted and is still lingering in the background

Very fresh, clean and green. Love the lime! Perfect for Spring. Not really getting the mint in this one, which is odd, since my skin usually amps mint. Also, your mileage may vary, but it seems to inspire money making opportunities when I wear it. Very cool!

Imp: Erm... mint is dominant with a green fruit note in the background floating with sage and my old nemesis, tea.

Wet: This goes pure clean green scent. Very appropriate for the name. Kind of reminds me of Embalming Fluid.

Dry: Wow. Surprisingly nice. None of the notes dominate the other and it all just comes together to a really soft, pretty green scent.

Throw: Quite good.

Overall: Notice how many times I said "green" in this review? It works well enough on me, and it definitely evokes the feeling it's going for. A beautiful, beautiful scent.

GREEN PHOENIX

In Bottle: Fresh and green

On Skin: There is no mistaking the tone here, this scent is green all the way! Yum, it is so refreshing and bring, a beautiful scent. I love the crisp cucumber, the sweet mint, the tart papaya… The grass and sage are herbal and alive, the lime is a nice sour twist. The tea makes it nice and clean, and even warms up the mint and herbal tone a bit. The amber and musk are soft and delicate and keep the scent from being too sharp. This scent is a perfect Spring scent. I feel like playing outside… to me it’s like packaging a little of the outdoors on a nice sunny Spring day in a bottle. It has a pretty low throw, not overwhelming in the slightest. It also wears quite long, slowly fading away after a few hours.

I tried Green Phoenix in my search for the perfect "green" scent, but alas, this is not it. It's a nice, juicy, wet, green scent, but I can't pick any notes out of it, and it just smells kind of generic to me. ::sigh:: Oh well...

Nice!

Smells green, herbal and grassy with a hint of tropical sweet fruitiness and now I finally know what green musk is like :P

It is a bit too complex for me to pick out individual notes except the papaya and grass. It is really grassy in a good way.

Tested 51 on my other hand and these two scents definitely are in the same family but 51 is a lot sweeter and fruitier.

And the green musk is fascinating! The scent fades a bit too fast and the musk soon is all that is left, however, I dont mind that so much.