Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Long Night Moon

The nights are at their longest, the sky is at its darkest. The air is still with reflective silence. A bouquet of night-blooming flowers, petals dusted with frost. Cereus, moonflower accord, night phlox, honeysuckle, silver thyme, white mint, and blue musk.

Preconceptions: I'm concerned this will be too floral, but I am looking forward to the cool freshness. I find many BPAL fragrances to be very rich or heavy, so I'm hoping this will be a pleasant change.

In the Bottle: I think I get the mint and a touch of the blue musk. Some pale flowers in there too - not overpowering. This is lovely, but not actually singing to me yet.

On the Skin: Musky, quite nice! I've lost the mint, but this is still fairly refreshing. Quite floral - but light florals, not heady ones. If I dig, I can come up with the tiniest herbal bite - must be the thyme. This is just a bit soapy, but I don't mind in this one.

After a While: Sometimes this is herbs, sometimes it is flowers. After a while longer, it's just soap. Boo. Nice soap, granted. Flowery herby soap, but soap nonetheless.

Verdict: Gonna try dumping some in the bath - see if that helps.

I think the white mint and thyme overwhelmed the other notes. I may have to test it for a longer period of time, as the mint/citrusy scents do after 2 hours sometimes do really pretty things on my skin. I'm just not sure its worth the wait for me, since there are so many scents that I stay in love with throughout their entire morphing period and 2 hours is quite a bit to wait for a scent to develop.

Another mint that works on me! And there are just a slim few that do. This is SOOOOO good! It has a perfumey smell, with just a tiny sliver of mint. A deep and layered scent. It's almost as if each component gets a chance to have it's moment all while I'm sniffing it in.

Does not like me! Wet stage is melon + evening flowers (nice!) + amonia. O.o

Dry stage is nice evening flowers + rubber bands. Reviewing mostly for my own reference. Does Not Work on me. I wonder which note it is that curled up and died on me....

In vial: a soft, gentle, quiet floral with lovely blue musk. Just what I hoped for so far.

Wet on skin: pale and fruity, not entirely unlike Kindly Moon (yay!), with a slightly herbal undertone and a touch of garden mint. (Cereus is a night-blooming cactus - I looked it up!) Long Night Moon is a winter moon, but this makes me think of a moonlit garden in summer.

Dry on skin: like liquid moonlight! It reminds me a little of Tenochtitlan and a lot of Kindly Moon. It's very soft and pretty, almost like running water only not at all chilly. This was an impulse buy, but I'm very pleased I got it!

An hour later: oh shit! The cool moonlight is all gone and it's going quite yucky on my skin! Oh well - we'll write this one off as skin chemistry FAILURE!

This is a very girly blend on me. Lots of honeysuckle and otehr flowers with a fresh breeze of mint flowing through it. Not really my thing, but very pretty on the right person :)

Bottle Sniff - over ripe canteloupe, the fermented juice now laced with some sort of wet rodent. I simply cannot imagine how something with such a ferret edge came from flowers.... :ack:

Wet - in a desperate attempt to make this better I applied it to my skin. It's gotta get better right? The wet-ferret is now a slightly warm wet-ferret and is wafting it's musk all over me. Oh dear God, p-l-e-a-s-e let this get better soon.

Dry - well it's much improved. All traces of canteloupe are gone, replaced with a bouquet of night blooms. Their scent is like nectar, thick and sticky. The musk is quite heavy but I think it's the "blue" part which is still objectionable. Aquatic musk just doesn't work on me. Instead of being warm animalistic & sexy, it becomes damp & fetid. Sometimes it smells ok but there is this insidious waft of something which makes me crinkle my nose in a not good way.

Note - I just realised I have tried this on my cycle and in all fairness will revisit this scent in a couple of days to see if things change. There is something very likable in this scent and I wonder if that weird note I am smelling is hormonal.

Revisited - well blue musk must be similar to white musk because I tried a white musk scent today that had that same icky thing about it. Although now my hormones have calmed down they are not doing that wet-ferret thing quite so much and once the scent has dried down it's gone completely.

Even so, I'm still not sure I can wear this scent well. It smells like drowned flowers, their scent is subdued and diluted rather than enhanced by the blend. There's a cucumber-like note that just seems to overpower everything and those flowers are not at home with that cucumber thing at all on my skin. One keeps fighting the other. Still all is not lost because I know someone for whom this scent may work.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

This is exactly what it says--frosty night-blooming flowers :wub:. The whtie mint isn't too overpowering or antiseptic, just gives the right frostbitten touch to everything else. I could swear there were juniper berries or some form of juniper in this, but it must be the mingling of other scents playing tricks on my nose. It reminds me of going Christmas tree shopping on a frosty night with the previous week's snow frozen over to ice; cool, crisp and enchanting.

Edited by Invidiana

What I smell is a cool, almost melon, frosty floral. I dont get any aquatic out of it, just the coolness. There is a velvety lightly musky quality here as well. This definitely has a night time feel to it, very pretty =)

I've had this forever and tried it multiple times. Each time I'm expecting a different result I guess, but it's the same every time. I want to love this one so much, it's description is so beautiful. Unfortunately it's all soap and sandalwood on me, and not even a nice soap. I can just barely detect white florals under the bitter astringent soap. Even if it did smell nice, it only lasts about 40 minutes on me. *sigh* 2 years later I'm finally swapping it and admitting defeat.

Oh my....what a beautiful fragrance

The honeysuckle stands out, as do the thyme and and mint notes. A relaxing, quiet scent, but it doesn't quite remind me of winter. It's more springish in my book.

I am not typically a floral type o' girl, but I really like this blend.

In the vial – Soft, sharp florals.

On the skin – Definitely getting the honeysuckle, and the musk and cereus, I believe.

Dry – Light dusty honeysuckle.

Definitely an enjoyable nighttime garden fragrance for me.

In imp: Watery, green, and floral. Can't really distinguish the notes.

On skin: The scent opens up now. Subdued flowers swirling in running water. Well-blended; I'm not well-versed in floral notes so I can't pick them out, but it seems like the water note is coming from blue musk. Gentle, dreamy, somnolent in feel, very watery and calming and restful. Over time the water fades, leaving sleepy flowers behind. Somehow, I think the label/tee art is very befitting, as I can imagine the Moon half-sunk upon the ocean horizon, dreaming in the waters. It somewhat resembles Selkie: both are floral/green aquatics (even though the notes are very different), but Selkie is a bit darker and blue/aqua-green, and Long Night Moon is yellowy-green in colour impression.

Verdict: Long Night Moon is very lovely and calming, and so evocative. But it ultimately doesn't distinguish itself; I prefer Selkie as my green aquatic. This will probably go to swaps.

Bottle: There's something in here that is making my nose turn; vaguely reminds me of baby diapers. I'm bewildered - there's nothing in the notes list that should be doing this. Strong florals almost overpower whatever that note is, but I can't quite bring myself to put this on my skin. Looking over the notes and seeing only notes that have appeared in blends I haven't liked, I'm not going to test this one. Away it goes!

In the bottle, this is a very gentle, musky floral. On my skin, this smells exactly like a moonlit garden - the musks are the moonlight, and the flowers, obviously, are the garden, gentle, not too sharp. Ends up being a pretty nice floral, a touch too sharp, but we'll see what it decides to do on the full skin test.

Edited by Venneh

I got this decant in a recent order of other imps. In one word: Heavenly!

The florals came on strong at first but then quieted down. Every so often I catch a cooling whiff of mint. A few hours into wearing it I'm getting a dusty, almost incense-y note in it. It's kind of keeping the florals from becoming overblown summer blooms. These flowers are past their showy prime - not dried, but mature.

I really love this and will be sad when it's gone. I hope I can get my hands on some more.

This smells quite similar to Kindly Moon on me, possibly because I seem to amp moonflower and blue musk. Thankfully I like both of those notes. I liked Kindly Moon, and I like Long Night Moon. They're both blue, kind of bright florals on me -- unusual and pretty. My problem with both of them is that they're just both so strong on me that it's all I can smell for like 2 hours after I put it on. I love it for about 30 minutes, and then I'm ready to smell something else. So I didn't wind up wearing either of them much, even though I thought they were very pretty and I liked them.

Long Night Moon

On: This is so me. Aquatic and floral. It reminds me of the original Pisces blend.

1 hour in: A bit sharper. This smells like rain for some reason.

3 hours in: Powdery, sharp, and a bit soapy.

6.5 hours in: Still about the same.

Overall: I think my skin messes up certain flowers by making them sharp on my skin. Unfortunately, that's what happened here.

Aw, I wish Long Night Moon would've worked for me. I like most of the flowers listed, but on my skin... too floral.

When I open this, there is an intial blast of blue musk and mint, that is cold and quite lovely. The coldness I get from this isn't quite frosty, but more like cold water. Further into the inhale, honeysucle and thyme emerge, bringing a slightly warm glow to the cool muskiness. As this makes contact with my skin, the flowers begin rapid blooming, and it becomes a rather heavy floral. The flowers almost drown out everything else, there is only a faint hint of the musk and mint at this point. This goes really soapy on me. There is also a bit of creaminess developing at this and it reminds me of very fancy hotel soaps. LNM dries down to be a predominantly night-blooming flowers, all powdery and soapy.

This is so pretty. It lost a death match with Moon of Ice for me, with which is has much in common. But this is sweeter and more floral. Cold, still, but very pretty...

Oh, pretty. A very nighttime scent, reminding me in that way of Night Scene, but more complex.

Long Night Moon is a frosty, blue-musky floral, aged 9 years or so now, so that everything is blended, with no lines between notes. The mint and thyme and frost are lovely together, and the honeysuckle and musk give the blend fullness and depth. Beautiful, though it doesn't last long.

Soft florals aren't my scents of choice as a group, but when they have a twist to them, I can love them. Kataniya with its melting metal note is one like that. Long Night Moon with its soft minty frost and blue musk is another.

First, can we just appreciate the bottle art on this one? It's probably the prettiest bottle I own. I love the reflection effect! As far as how it smells, I'm detecting a pattern in my scent habits--I have a huge weakness for moonlit scents with night-blooming flowers. This is another ethereal, cool floral in the same vein as Cancer 2016, and Winter Jasmine SN, and other favorites of mine. The florals are sweet and soft, conjuring up an image of a moonlit night. There's just enough green bite from the sage and mint to keep it from being too one-note. Utterly beautiful.

I guess I got a decant last year from someone's stash, I didn't realize this was so old. Someone mentioned "lovely and comforting". I think that sums it up for me well. I don't get a harsh jasmine, nor a blue musk. It's like a night-blooming flower with a hint of clean in the background. It's not overpowering. It reminds me of the clean sheets at my aunt's house.