Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Velvet

Envelop yourself in the soft, sensual embrace of gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh.

I am currently loving Velvet.

It was strong chocolate when first applied, then turned into something not unlike wood shavings.

But then when it mellows the myrrh shines through like the sun, breaking through the clouds on a winters day and envelopes me with a soft warm scent.

Just ordered a 5ml of this :P

Although this one sounded very sweet and chocolaty to me, it’s not so sweet as i expected. Sandalwood is the dominant note here, so this would be very nice on a man too, but I think I’ll keep this for myself.

The chocolate note makes the sandalwood in this one a very round and soft one. On me, the chocolate comes more out when I’m wearing it a few hours. Then the scent becomes more sweet.

Someone mentioned pencil shavings with chocolate, but that’s not what I’m experiencing. I can understand the comparison, but to me this one smells less sharp -pun on the pencil shavings : ) - and it’s very well blended.

Overall, Velvet is very different from what I normally like from BPAL. I prefer the sweet and warm scents.

This one’s more masculine due to the sandalwood I think, but it has a womanly drydown because of the chocolate. Very very nice! :P

To me, Velvet is the cross of Bliss and Hellcat. Two scents that I like very much. Initial wet is very chocolately but dries down creamier and smokier. Long lasting as well, which is a big bonus in my books! :P

Velvet

I love every note listed for Velvet. Sandalwood has been my “calm” scent of choice for decades. Beth’s cocoa/chocolate works on me, from what I have gathered from the few scents I have tried so far that include chocolate – it’s very much a stable base note on my skin. Myrrh is delicious, and I have sometimes worn vanilla extract as a scent, when in need of serious comforting. This should work splendidly with my chemistry. We’ll see.

In the bottle: Mostly myrrh, which is fine, because I love myrrh. A little vanilla, but no sandalwood or chocolate.

Wet on skin: Cocoa! First a terrific wet hit of cocoa, followed immediately by a rush of sandalwood (definite wood shavings vibe) that remains dominant for about 3 breaths on me. Then things start to settle down into more of a balance.

Dry-down: The throw is unsweetened cocoa smoothed out by vanilla, but closer to the skin it’s sandalwood with cocoa equally mixed (extremely odd but lovely combination), and closer still to the skin a little of the deeper note of myrrh, spicy without being the least foody. As time goes on all the notes do a sort of figure eight above my wrist, now one is stronger, now another. About an hour after application they seem to have found their balance, and meld into one entity that has me wondering what a vanilla truffle rolled in unsweetened cocoa, powdered myrrh and sandalwood dust would taste like. This is the only time in the cycle of this scent on me that I am really reminded of food. This does have the texture of velvet.

Dry: Mostly myrrh and cocoa with a kiss of vanilla; very deep, rich, dark, and again, somehow, not foody. This lies close to the skin – only I and my intimates will ever know about this last stage, but it is the perfect marriage of these scents. Sumptuous! A little later the vanilla comes back strongly, trailing wisps of sandalwood like a long chiffon scarf in the wind, and the cocoa recedes. This play could go on for hours, I suspect. My experience with other chocolate BPAL blends is that the fade will likely be pure cocoa.

Conclusion: A lovely warm and comfortable scent with just enough oddness to keep me amused and occupied. :P I can see wearing this during the Fall and Winter, but also on the occasional dank San Francisco Summer morning – the days the fog just isn’t going to burn off by Noon. Big bottle is in the cards.

In the bottle: Cocoa! Wow! This smells like a chocolate flavored lip gloss I had a while back. Not a deep chocolate smell, but soft, powdery, creamy cocoa.

Wearing: OK, here comes the sandalwood. It seems so strong that the cocoa has almost completely disappeared. Oh, but it's lovely and dry. There's a little bit of myrrh, but it's not much--just enough to make the sandalwood a little fizzy and sweet. This is dark, but not spooky. Like true velvet, it evokes a feeling of soft, bittersweet romance.

Later: The throw in this lasts quite a while, but oddly not quite as long sniffed directly from the skin. I put it on this morning, around 8, and could still smell it floating around me at 4. Way later, however, the little bit of smell left on my arm has gone back to cocoa.

Overall: I wasn't sure I'd like this sniffing from the bottle (too foody), but wearing it, it's gorgeous. Not on my top 10, but beautiful all the same. I will keep the imp.

Initial Sniff: Oh my. Deep dark spicy chocolate. :P

Wearing: Gorgeous for a little minute. I like sandalwood and myrrh and chocolate, but something quickly goes horribly wrong on my skin. It starts out with the pencil shaving smell, then the chocolate disappears, then... pencil shaving baby powder. It is so bad.

Final Impressions: Demon vanilla!!! You ruined this gorgeous scent for me! I shall not forgive you!

(Vanilla never seems to work on me, by the way.)

Wet - Mmmm…creamy cocoa and sandalwood.

Dry - Chocolate and myrrh, which smells much better than it sounds. As it dries the cocoa fades into the background, leaving sweetened myrrh. Oh look, the sandalwood is back! It seems like the throw is decidedly cocoa and sandalwood, although on my wrists I get primarily myrrh. I know my skin ate the vanilla...it does that.

This is awesome! I might go through the entire imp tonight…I'm definitely going to need a big bottle of this one.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) this rates a 5.

In the bottle: Gah! this is part of the scent that makes me queasy smelling gluttony! I guess it was mostly the chocolate in there, after all.. though, I think it's a combination of chocolate and something else (probably the nuts, now that I think about it).. this one doesn't give me quite the same feeling, but the association with the feeling, I think? Hard to explain. anyways. yeah. Chocolate...

On: well, I think it might be a good thing that the cocoa smell fades kind of fast. I don't think I'd be able to wear it for too long if it didn't go away. It becomes a very warm scent as the sandalwood comes out in full force. There is a big of myrrh adding a touch of bite, but mostly it's just warm sandalwood.

I wish the vanilla was stronger. I couldn't find it in there anywere, unfortunately. I think it would be a good way to temper out the sandalwood, make it really creamy. mmm.

Either way, this would be a great winter scent.. very warm and cozy.

(and I just have to add, I think there might be more than one chocolate variation, too, because not all of the chocolate/cocoa scents give me that weard queasiness. Gluttony and Velvet do.. I think I got a tiny bit of it from Vice, but I'm not sure.. Don't remember about Bliss. will have to smell it when i get home, since i just got an imp of it. Spooky and DDLM... not a trace of it. )

Edited by harlequin

At first sniff, yummy chocolate overpowered everything else, but on my skin, the chocolate became the background note, and myrrh came to the fore. The overall impression was something velvety indeed.... dark, soft, rich, luxurious. Not "foody" at all. This is one that is going on my 5ml list.

Mmm. This, along with Hemlock and Twilight, were the first 3 BPALs I've ever sniffed. So my first experience with Velvet was actually mixed with Hemlock. I can remember commenting to my half-asleep roommate that I smelled like a chocolate Christmas tree, which confused the hell out of her. :P

In any case, I love Velvet. I smell the chocolatey goodness, and it's a comforting smell, though there's something else about it that I pick up too. It's smooth and sweet and intoxicating, a warm sort of smell. I didn't think I'd be too into the foody scents, but this one just smells so damn good that it's impossible not to like.

While I love the chocolatey goodness of it, it doesn't make me crave actual chocolate... in fact, sniffing it seems to satisfy cravings :D

I got to sniff an imp of this the other day and Oh my LORD. I love it so much!

It smells EXACTLY like when you first open the little pouch of dried hot chocolate mix. I keep taking it out and smelling it. Yum!

It smells like Bliss at first then fades into a root beer smell, followed by a gross sickening sweetness after a few hours, like Delphi has.

Not for me.

This was the first oil I really noticed morphing on me as the hours passed.

Out of the bottle it was gorgeous buttery chocolate, but it only remained so on my skin for about twenty minutes.

It then became a very soft sandalwood with just a lick of chocolate for about two hours.

Then...behold!...the cocoa resurrected and the scent became very much like Lush's Cupcake face mask; the sandalwood toned down and out popped an unexpected sniff of mint amongst the gentle chocolate.

Marvelous!!!

Holy mother of god. This stuff is wonderful from start to finish.

I think I am in love with myrrh. And Velvet. Good. It's all good.

Need I say more? I thought not.

Edited by Janie

velvet on my left wrist. i smell like a cake there. yummy, and i like it.

i'm starting to think that the play dough ingredient might be the myrrh. it is sort of a base note. it is there underneath all of the other warm cakey smells.

mr. hotbuns sniffed it on his way out the door. he says that it smells good but that it "isn't me".

i don't think myrhh likes me. i want to like this scent, but the occasional play dough thing is odd. and not becoming.... :P

I put off trying this for a while, because while I love vanilla, most chocolate scents from the lab were way too sweet on me. But as I discovered that sandalwood works well with my body chemistry, I had to try it.

Thankfully, I never get the myrrh from this. It is a pure trio of cocoa, vanilla, and sandalwood. It is so much like being wrapped in velvet. I think of drinking hot chocolate and sitting on a velvet couch.

I couldn't wear this scent during the day, because it is too sensual and comfy, but I love it for evenings and blustery weekends.

ETA: This is sexy, sexy stuff. Sandalwood :P me. I've taken it to wearing it during the day after all, and it's kind of like knowing you are wearing sexy underwear and nobody else knows.

Edited by sh1mm3r

I love sandalwood, but it has to be the right sandalwood, you know? I am not expert enough to know what the differences are, but I know there are some sandalwoods that are warm and smooth, and others that are more rough, like sawdust up your nose. The sandalwood in Velvet is one of the warm, smooth, deliciously woody ones.

In the vial the bitterness of the cocoa is strong. Once I put it on, mmmm sandalwood. I can detect the myrrh, which is warm and spicy but slightly bitter, balanced by a touch of vanilla sweetness. As it dries down, these back off and the cocoa comes out again. From there on, Velvet stays very balanced on me.

My boy loves it too. :P I hope this is never discontinued.

Edited by borealis

Exactly like Tombstone to me, only with chocolate-vanilla. Sandalwood emerges most, because sandalwood seems to like me. It settles down a bit, though, which leads to a lovely softer Bliss cocoa scent. Round, warm--very reminiscent of Tombstone.

in the imp: an odd cocoa biscuit. Rather like the Stella D'Oro ones that come in vanilla and chocolate.

Dry: fades slightly. Sweet. Primarily cocoa and vanilla notes here. Not much myrrh or sandalwood standing out, but maybe they're just that well blended.

Interesting, but not me. Now I'm suddenly nervous about 13, which had chocolate notes too, and I also thought sounded amazing.

Overall, it reminds me a bit of snake oil, having that same slightly dark, smooth note to it, and not much in the way of bright top notes. Hmm... that makes me think this would be a dynamite layering scent.

Velvet

Preconceived notions: I got to smell this one at a friend’s house. It was good - sandalwood and chocolate are a good combination! I don’t know what took me so long to buy it, nor why I didn’t immediately spring for the 5 ml.

In the vial:

Chocolate powder.

On me:

I can’t really describe this well. It’s chocolate, but it’s not something I’d want to eat. The sandalwood is adding this wood note, which makes it somewhat bitter, but not in a bitter chocolate way (which I would eat in a heartbeat). This is more like what I’d

imagine chocolate incense to smell like.

In 25 minutes:

Wow. I’m getting a burnt wood chocolate scent now. Very lovely - comforting, yet intense and somewhat dangerous.

In 45 minutes:

Still gorgeous, and it’s floating all around me.

In an hour and 20 minutes:

About the same.

Overall:

I love this! I think I’ll need a bottle eventually!

Thank you tart! :D

tart knows me pretty well, she looked at the good notes, and she knows I'm a foody person.. so what does she do? Sends me Velvet. :D

In the imp: Chocolate. Blissful, heavenly pass me the chocolate.

Wet, on me: I smell like work today - chocolate chocolate chip cookies and my desk.

Drydown: Sandalwood with bits of chocolate. Sort of like a midafternoon snack you have stashed away.

Impression: I would drive my coworkers nuts. :P

Verdict: I like this better than Vice, for the most part.

In the imp: deep chocolately scent

Wet: Chocolate and sandalwood, I don't detect any vanilla at all, and don't think I get much myrrh either. Very nice and warm and fuzzy and yummy at this point, and I'm loving Velvet, and deciding I really do like dark chocolate scents...

And then as it dries: no more deep cocoa, left with a very nice sandalwood, warm and soft. No vanilla. There might possibly be a little hint of myrrh here, but it isn't much. It's very pretty however.

Sandalwood has a tendancy to take over on my skin, something I am just learning. I love the smell, so that isn't exactly a problem! But for this one, I really like the opening stage. I am going to try it again and see if it changes for me. Otherwise, I might swap it.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Cocoa!

In the imp/bottle: Cocoa! Rich, thick cocoa.

On skin, wet: Cocoa, a bit of vanilla, and a thin coating of myrrh over a base of sandalwood.

On skin, dry: A dry, sweet cocoa sandalwood. I'm not sure if it's the cocoa (which my skin loves to turn into chalk) or the sandalwood that gives Velvet its dry quality, but I'm not font of it.

Conclusion: Once again, I'm not a fan of smelling of chocolate or cocoa. Even though it's a nice, woodsy cocoa, it's still cocoa.

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle:

Very strong cocoa, but it's not so foody that it turns me off of it, it's like a dark, dusky cocoa.

On me:

At first, I'm still getting just cocoa. But like I said, it's not so foody that I don't want to wear it. It's dark and smooth, and it fits perfectly with the name Velvet. Then the sandalwood starts creeping in and it balances out that cocoa vanille so wonderfully! But, unfortunately, this wonderful phase ends about 4 minutes in, and now the myrrh is beating down the cocoa vanille and sandalwood. Before long, it's in the front seat, taking over for this scent and I smell like pencil shavings with a tiny bit of sandalwood and cocoa.

Final note:

It's actually not bad, despite that I wish that the myrrh wasn't as prominent as it is. I will definitely keep my imp but I don't think I'd buy a big bottle of this.

EDIT: Wanted to add that this, at least on me, had NO throw at all. I had to smell my arm VERY closely to smell Velvet at all.

Edited by Brianne

I wanted to get smoky chocolate, but instead I got burnt chocolate. Sandalwood and myrrh usually work on me, so I don't know what went wrong with this one. Maybe it was just the particular combination. I'm not sure how much I'd really want to smell like chocolate anyway, but I'd say that this is definitely one to try for all you foody scent people out there.