Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Velvet

I purchased a fresh imp of this from the lab to compare with Bliss and Kali as a popular chocolate trifecta.

I consider Velvet to be inferior to Bliss in every way, reminding me more of pencil shavings and waxy, artificial chocolate than the delectable, genuine brownie batter scent of Bliss.  It reminds me of my elementary school pencil case, with a little piece of cheapie chocolate tucked into it for later.  Not something I'm interested in smelling like.

This allegedly improves with age, so I will set it aside and try it again some other time.

This is a frimp I received from the lab in April 2019, but I somehow forgot about, because I'm not that much into chocolate scents.

Also, perhaps fairly boring to say after 21 pages of reviews about Velvet: the description is exactly as this scent is on my skin: a comfy embrace with maybe a blanket of wool, mostly milk chocolate, a little sandalwood-vanilla (attached together somehow), and in the distance some myrrh (but myrrh disappears on my skin immediately, so that's not unexpected).

The embrace is an image I do get from this scent, but it does not have a velvet color or tactile fabric in my mind.

After some time of wearing, the sandalwood does a weird egocentric dance on its own.

This is chocolate that is not too expensive and somehow fell into a bucket of sandalwood and melted with it, while the store around it is somehow filled with myrrh.

It's "okay."

Wet this was a nice creamy chocolate scent -- less sugary and rich than Gelt or Bliss, but a similar 'tone'. Unfortunately, when this dried, it switches off between a woodsy bookish scent (ok!) and the smell of dried celery (oh no!).

I just found this imp and decided to try it out! 

Oh wow. I really like this one. I always considered myself purely a gourmand scent person when it came to chocolate, but this is dry, sophisticated cocoa backed up with sandalwood. I can smell the edge of the sandalwood a bit but the cocoa is the strongest; on me, it's a dry scent that is saved from pencil shavings territory by the cocoa. I'm glad I have two imps of this, I might actually use them! 

As for throw, it stays very skin-close - I have to press my wrist to my nose to smell it - but perhaps that's for the best. 

Update: About an hour after applying, I'm still huffing my wrist. I didn't expect to link this one, but I do! :)

Edited by lakeplacidskater

as i apply this, i can smell all the things very distinctly, in a discordant jumble. creamy vanilla and chocolate, sandalwood, myrrh: check. 

as it settles in, the chocolate vanilla recedes to the back.  dry woodsy sandalwood pops out on top, backed by a velvety, incense-y myrrh.  it's getting interesting now! 

fully dry and warmed up, here's where the strange magic happens.  i can't pick out a single note, except maybe the sandalwood.   no chocolate, no vanilla, no myrrh.  that's not a complaint, btw, because it's shockingly gorgeous.  if i only sniffed it at this point, i'd probably guess amber and/or oudh. what the what?! it's sweet, woodsy, resinous, and perfumey (in a good way.) very aptly named, because it is so very soft and velvety. 100% non-foody on me.  

this morphs into something very special on me, and i am feeling very blessed by the skin chemistry gods right now.  there will be a bottle of velvet in my next order for sure. 

I LOVE this one! I have a thing for chocolate and resins, but they are often really heavy and dark. The notes balance each other out in a way that makes this smell light enough for daytime use, which I didn't think was even possible. In the bottle, it smelled like a Wendy's chocolate frosty, and wet, on my skin, it transforms to a deep, rich chocolate. Oddly enough, there's a kind of buttered popcorn smell in the background. Once it dried down, though oooooooooh it's so so good. The myrrh and sandalwood are in the forefront, followed by chocolate and vanilla. It's sweet and light and creamy while still being resinous. I just can't get enough of this!

Bitter unsweetened cocoa and rich sandalwood. The sandalwood almost smells like hazelnut to me. Maybe the vanilla is adding just enough sweetness and richness to make the sandalwood smell nutty.

Straightforward but wonderful show of the lab's cocoa note.