Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Elizabethm

The Snow Storm

Winter aconite, balsam fir, cedar leaf, and white mint.

bottle: a sweet, light, minty pine. this is wonderfully beautiful.

wet: this is a bit more piney once applied but there is also a more green sort of feel. this is an icy-cold scent on me and truly puts me in mind of snow falling on pines.

dry: a nice, tangy pine scent that really isn't too resiny, the mint really elevates this to a light scent on me.

:P

(edited for spelling idiocy) Edited by Shollin

The Snow Storm - Wow, I never thought I'd say this about a scent that is made up of fir, cedar, and mint, but I like it! These notes blend together to create a cool, crisp scent that is neither woody, evergreeny, nor minty. It's just cold and chilly and beautiful! I'm not sure what aconite smells like, but perhaps it's the inclusion of this note that keeps the others from going off on me, as they normally would. It's quite lovely and a wonderful winter scent that I would put in a similar category as The Darkling Thrush or Snow Bunny, although certainly not the same as them. Amazingly strong throw and staying power.

This reminds me a lot of Nocnitsa, only with a gingerbready berry sort of undertone to it. I'm slowly learning that pine is something that generally works on me, but it's certainly not something I want to smell like year round. I used up my imp in my oil burner. It made everything smell like Christmas.

OOOOH!

I thought this would be very like many others I've tried with the fir/pine/spruce base. And, at first, it is. Certainly in the bottle, that's pretty much all I can get.

But on my skin... this is VERY different, and very special. In fact, even as I'm typing this, my brain is going from "niceniceniceOOOOOOHNICE..." all the way to "getmoregetmoregetmore".

And that's exactly what I'll do. The aconite and mint in this are absolutely STUNNING and make this a scent all of its own. I was a little worried in case the mint took over, but it doesn't. It blends REALLY well.

... wow.

*flees to add this to "GET MOAR PLZ!!!" list*

Well The Snow Storm is quite lovely. Very wintry.

People had compared it to Skadi, so I knew I had to get it. I loved Skadi so. But it isn't quite like Skadi there's something missing. Today I layered The Snow Storm with The Jersey Devil and it is almost perfectly Skadi to my nose. Hooray!

So I can wear Snow Storm on its own or berry it up with some Jersey Devil. Either way I'm happy.

Since we had our first big snow storm today I figured it was the perfect day to test out The Snow Storm. This is a gorgeous scent! Its a crisp, minty winter wind blowing through an evergreen forest. There isn't much morphing on me, it pretty much stays the same the entire time. The Snow Storm does remind me of Skadi, but without her berry note, and of Talvikuu and November as well. The Snow Storm is another beautiful winter blend. :P

Chilly, chilly, chilly! Dry fir and sap; I smell like a tree.

I can't see myself wearing this often, but it certainly is a wintry scent.

Oddly enough, something in this turns kind of salty and plasticky on my skin. I've never had that happen before. I guess this is what people mean when they talk about things smelling like play-doh. :P

But then the mint comes out again, the play-doh overtones vanish, and it begins veering back and forth between acrid and sweet. It finally settles on sweet - all balsam and mint - and stays that way. Huh.

This starts out as a burst of fir and cedar. Just like I was out in the forest at night in the snow, sitting down. It slowly relaxes to a soft christmas tree smell. The white mint seems to bring out a sweet note, almost like double bubble bubble gum. How the gum has a sweet slightly minty taste. As the scent fades, a berry note seems to come out, making me feel like the christmas tree is near to a fire on Christmas eve. Overall, delightful

ooh, I like this! Definitely a piney, foresty smell, no doubt about it. But also somehow creamy and smooth; not foody, but if Willy Wonka's candy room had a winter theme, this how the tall conifer trees would smell. The cedar is a wonderful, subdued backing note. To me cedar means a sauna, so it's a lovely contrast to the chill, cold feel of the other notes.

Just lovely and really unique among fir type scents.

This blend is absolutely beautiful. I don't have a perfect review, with stages of drying and throw and whatnot.

But I think this blend smells like a male version of Skadi. With sort of aquatic notes/citrus added in with the beautiful ice and snow and fir/pine notes.

Absolutely gorgeous. I will CHERISH my bottle!

5/5

On me, The Snow Storm is fir and a hint of cedar over mint. I love it and I hope it comes back every year.

Preliminary: WTF is aconite? I googled it to learn that it is the same thing as: "Monkshood. Blue Rocket. Friar's Cap. Auld Wife's Huid" and that it is a poisonous alkaloid. I am now better informed but still have no notion of how this note is supposed to smell.

In the bottle: I can barely detect a scent at all. Hm.

Wet: oh, harsh, harsh, harsh fir. The mint lends a penetrating quality to it, like Vicks Vap-o-Rub, although it does not smell like Vap-o-Rub. Did I mention harsh?

Drydown: I can smell a bruised leaf scent--I think this must be the cedar leaf, but the fir and mint are still going strong. This is not a sweet scent at all. The throw is pretty good for something that was so weak in the bottle.

I am really uncertain whether I like this or not. I was expecting it to be a lot like Black Forest for some reason, and it definitely is not.

In imp - mmm, Christmas tree - with just a trace of mint.

It warms up on my skin - it's lovely fir and cedar, with the mint to keep it light.

Dry, it's very much the same - very lovely.

Wow, a little bit goes a long way with this one. It is actually giving me a headache, it is so strong.

I think this one is proving to me that I need to stick with foody, spicy scents.

Strong pine, almost floral smell. I agree with a previous poster that this feels masculine to me. Maybe I will pass it along to a guy. It's nice, but SO not me.

I really wish I could smell the mint that the rest of you are getting from this, but on me the snow storm is almost exclusively a strong pine/fir smell. I do like the smell of it, but on me it's too strong and never really settles into my skin - even dry, it smells very sharp and I never feel like it's actually dried down, if that makes sense.

I don't think I'll wear this any more, but I poured some of my imp into an oil burner and my office smells like a cold winter forest. At least it's a perfect room scent.

The Snow Storm, both in bottle and on my skin, is a woodsy scent with just a hint of mint. It's no where near as snowy as I thought it would be - I was hoping more like Snow Moon with a predominant "snowy" feel to it. Sadly, it's more dry foresty.

I'll keep it around as a room-scent, but I don't think I'll be wearing this one as much as my other snowy blends.

The Snow Storm

In the Bottle:

This smells like a cold, snowy night.

I don't smell anything except BPAL's 'snow' note

On my Skin, Wet:

Snow!

Lots and lots of snow!

The Snow Storm reminds me a 2006's Snow Maiden without the florals.

Darkness - like a midnight storm of ice & soft flurries.

On my Skin, Dry:

very little change from the wet stage.

dark, cold and snowy.

real descriptive, huh? :D

Verdict:

8 of 10 ranking!

This will be the scent I wear when I want a pure snow scent.

currently I use Snow Maiden to that end, but now I have the option of having snow with or without florals - yay! :P

This is a light winter scent. I don't know what winter aconite smells like but it's definitely pretty...not so much in the men's cologne range or at least it's on the cusp of it. The first notes are a clean, snowy fir or cedar smell. The mint is not minty but adds to that winter air kind of smell to it. I like this a lot but don't know if i'd reach for it to wear myself. It smells like a crisp winter's night where people are messing around with some evergreen trees...moving chipped bark and what not.

a lot of the 2007 yules seem nice for my husband. clean, light, masculine and bright...but not so much to wear for myself.

Beautiful, cold woods and snow. This feels like a classic winter fragrance. The sharpness of the mint is refreshing and blends perfectly with the more subdued wood notes. There almost seems to be a juicy or berry note in here. It has that same sweet quality and it prevents this from being too masculine on me.

I love most snow fragrances and this is no exception. It's lovely.

First Impression: Very faint, sweet mint with something woody underneath.

Dried down to: Did not change at all - just got fainter.

Additional Comments: I don't know anything about aconite other than it's poisonous. I have no idea what it smells like. I usually amp cedar so I'm surprised it's barely there in this blend. I do pick up on the balsam but, again, it's very faint. This one's just not for me. It's too insipid on my skin.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

It is not as minty as I had hoped for but is a very bright, wintery scent. The woods and fir are very strong in this and the end result is something that smells very much like a winter outdoor scene. People who love these green and woody scents will surely adore this one. I'll probably keep the imp just to use in the winter as a room scent, because it's so awfully appropriate smelling hehe!

In the bottle this all mostly the fir and the mint. It's chilly but warm all at the same time. It's really crisp and clean smelling.

Once I put it on though it's completely different. My skin amps it WAY up to the point that I had to go wash some off. And it's all white florals. WTH? Where did those come from? The aconite? Is that a floral?

I've had it on for about 40 minutes now and even after washing some off it's still pretty strong. Huge amount of throw here. And it still smells mostly floral to me. In fact it reminds me a bit of The Evening Star. Weird huh? :P

In imp: Oooh... piney and cold

Wet: Airy and cold and clear! There's a resinous something, piney and deep. I really like this!

Dry: Gorgeous and piney, like a whiff of the breeze when you reach the top of a mountain just above the deciduous treeline...

Dry, after two hours: It gets subtle but stays piney. It's like the storm has stopped and you're just looking out into the landscape all blanketed in white and everything is cold and still and silent.

Conclusion: I really like this! And it stays piney on me, which is fabulous because many pines just stay piney for about a half-hour and then go all ambery resiny.

In imp: piney and cedary. only a faint whiff of coolness.

Wet: woody cedar, with a bit of pine.

Dry: mmmm wood and cedar and pine.

I was hoping for something head clearing but instead I smell like Christmas. Its lovely and I'm glad I got a bottle. The resin and wood is quite warm and after the initial flush of cool on application, this warms up really nicely. I taste pine fleetingly as I wear it, then a bit of wood, then more pine. It lingers nice and subtly.

Really excellent.

Edited by BlackTauna

The first note out of the bottle is a complex evergreen; there's the sweet pine from 'Skadi', but there's also some deeper, more resinous notes. Underneath that is a slushy note - not so much snow as melting ice.

It's a very clean fragrance, and I think it would appeal to a wide variety of people. I like it, though I'm not head over heels about it (I much prefer my Skadi). To me, this smells like the tail end of February - cold and sleet and evergreens heralding the coming of warmer weather.