Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
myth

Bad Luck Woman Blues

Keep that bad luck woman away with a blend of Spanish moss, black pepper, mullein, sweet sage, vandal root, cypress, cigar tobacco, and a puff of goofer dust cloaked by a swarthy cologne of vetiver, lime, dark musk, caramel accord, and lilac.

In bottle: Extremely foody, mostly caramel.

On me: Almost pure caramel. Seriously, I'm getting almost all caramel, with none of the other notes. Ooh, now there's some tobacco underneath it. Very lovely.

In interesting blend

Bottle: The thick sweet smell of what must be caramel and the musk, but with a bit of aquatic grassiness (perhaps the cypress, vetiver andmoss?)

On Skin(wet): The sticky sweetness of caramel has reduced, but is still present, but all the mossy/grassy notes are coming through stronger, in what is amount to a very strange, conflicted smell. Sometimes I get sweetness, sometimes I get a whiff of aquatic grassiness.

Dry: Similar to wet, but the caramel is all but gone (I get occassional sniffs of it though), the lime has made a small presence, and there's an herbal smell to it but overall it's more aquatic and "clean".

Overall, a deceptive blend! Both sweet, but clean, earthy and aquatic. I'm not very good at picking out notes, so this is the best description I could give. But, like many of Beths scents, all the individual notes blend into something that is all together more then the sum of the individual notes and not definable by any single one of them.

In the imp: mossy caramel. Wow, that's weird.

On me, wet: salty mossy caramel and vetiver. This is a really odd combination of notes to my nose.

On me, dry: this is very dark and dirty and sticky smelling with a weird dustiness over the top. I guess that's the pepper, over the moss and caramel.

Verdict: an unusual scent. Not one I think I'll be hanging onto, somehow.

Wet: Caramel, vetiver, pepper, moss, a bit smoky.

First on: Surprisingly foody, but it's like someone took a lump of caramel and rolled it around in mossy dirt. Strange. A bit discordant.

Dry: I dunno, I just can't really get into this. It smells like dirty candy. Meh. Foody + earthy = not playing happily.

In the bottle: Caramel, pepper, aquatic moss.

On my skin: Whoa moss! Then I get a touch of the sage, cypress, and caramel. There is a mishmash of the other notes in there, but the ones I listed are the most distinct.

After a while: Crazy mad caramel + Spanish moss which is a really interesting combo. It confuses my brain into thinking foody, no murky water and moss, no foody. It's so very interesting.

I like this, but don't love it. You should try it if you like moss scents, because that part of it is gorgeous.

Bad Luck Woman Blues

In the bottle: an unusual but very nice mix of caramel with spicy mossy woodsy cologne. This has the potential to be really good.

Wet on skin: caramelised fresh green woodsy cologne.

Dry on skin: oh, this is surprisingly good! It is a masculine scent, very much a cologne fragrance, but it's a wonderfully complex and unusual fragrance with many layers and notes. As well as caramel, I can smell hot sparkling pepper and soft sage, the lime, smoky and rich tobacco, and the same lovely moss and cypress combo from Roux Ga Roux (and like that scent, the Spanish moss here isn't turning to 'swamp monster of doom' on me!). It's a mix of herbs, spices, smoke and deep woods with a hint of lime, and it's all contrasted-yet complemented-by a topping of sweet, delicious caramel. It's not an overpowering caramel note, but it is deep and treacle like. I can't smell musk, vetiver or lilac yet.

After a while: the moss comes out a bit more but all the other notes seem to restrain it so it doesn't overpower the scent. It becomes spicier, the pepper really tingles my nose, but it also smells greener-this scent is a rich green scent, like thick sprawling greenery, almost swampy but not humid, like Roux, this is a fresher take on the swampy scents. It's also very earthy and rich. It reminds me of the unreleased oil Kweku Anansi, but it is more complex.

The caramel fades and the scent becomes darker, drier, deeper and woodsier, with the pepper, tobacco, cypress, moss and herbs becoming dominant. Dark green, hot, dry yet lush and complicated. At this point the scent moves away from being more gender neutral to being very manly. This would be so sexy on a guy, it feels dark and mysterious and smouldering. The scent becomes a little bit like a dark, viscous, almost tarry scent after some time, I think the vetiver may be doing this, though amazingly, I don't smell anything blatantly like vetiver here. It smells like a burnt pitch like resin with charred woods and tobacco…but it's not too bad as a scent. it still smells more like a man's perfume though. There's also something about it which is almost evergreen or forest like, almost like pine needles. And after about 8 hours (this stuff has serious staying power!) I can finally clearly make out the vetiver. It was always there, making this scent stick, but now I smell that husky, dark, gritty and earthy scent, and thanks to the tobacco, it has a very smoky feel.

Verdict: this is a fascinating scent, it's very masculine smelling on me but very interesting as well. the first stage is wonderful-the caramel is strong at this point but it's not overtaking the scent, it's the right amount of caramel to add a gorgeous sugary sweetness to this mix of moss, spices, herbs, woods and earthy notes, a mix of green and brown scents, smoky and rich and with that gourmand twist to make it really interesting. I love this stage most, as it is really complex but also gender neutral-but over time, the scent becomes more and more masculine, smelling darker and less sugary, smokier, more mysterious, woodsy and almost pitch-like. It is heavier on the moss and vetiver (the vetiver here is strong but it's not the 'evil' variety, this one is smoother and sophisticated) and it reminds me of a good quality man's perfume. Something that would smell breathtaking on a guy, for sure, but despite the lovely just-dry scent, the drydown is a little too heavy and masculine on me. The scent lasts for ages, and it's one where the moss and vetiver don't overwhelm like they usually do. I like this scent and it's unusual mix of notes enough to keep a decant though.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? yes! It's a bit manlier than most but I like it a great deal to keep some.

If you like this, try: Roux Ga Roux, Tiresias, Red Lantern, Arrival at the Sabbath, Bayou, Dance Macabre, Kweku Anansi

When I ordered it, I knew I liked most of the notes, with the exception of the caramel. So, of course, that's the strongest note! But it's actually a very nice caramel, deep and earthy and warm, not too sweet, or like something you'd pour on your ice cream.

Funnily enough, I did get the lime the first time I put it on, but only for a few minutes. Since then, it's been caramel all the way; maybe when it ages, the lime will come back.

Wet: Caramel and cigar smoke. Not too bad, just very, very strong.

Dry: I could finally smell a little hint of moss once this dried down. Otherwise, it was a vague whiff of the tobacco, and caramel dominating over all else. It became very heady, but the caramel just overpowered everything a bit too much for my tastes.

BAD LUCK WOMAN BLUES

In Bottle: Caramel and lime

On Skin: Wow, interesting combination. I smell the caramel right away, sweet and sticky with the tart lime cutting it’s way through. The moss offers a very earthy base and combined with the sage, vandal root and cypress there is a sharp and planty feel as well. The vetiver is held in check, which is nice since it normally doesn’t work on me as is the lilac. I would say this scent is a men’s cologne with a light sweet tone and earthy base. The dark musk is quite pretty and gives the blend a sexy edge. The caramel combined with the cigar tobacco make the scent remind me of some of the Dogs Playing Poker blends and I feel adds to the masculine appeal. This scent also reminds me of Mr. Nancy but a bit more wearable. Mr. Nancy had a funky edge on me and my husband hated it… but here the notes harmonize better and nothing sticks out as off. Moderate throw and long wearlength.

Yum yum yum.

This is dark and sexy scent.

I can't really pick out any individual notes in this one as they all blend so harmoniously. It's an exquisite scent. Rich and earthy, deep green, dark caramelized sweetness with a touch of spice.

True staying power thsi one has.

I. am. in. love.

some of the notes in this intrigued me (spanish moss, sweet sage, cypress, cigar tobacco, lime, dark musk and caramel), some terrify me (vetiver and lilac) and a couple i have no idea wtf they should smell like (the others)...

this is... strange.

earthy-sweet and peppery-bitter all at once... i don't think i need to keep this bottle.

quick edit: unless i can get the boy to try it, i think it might smell really good on a man!

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

This goes on very "nutty" on me, but quickly morphs into a sort of powdery and sweet tobacco and very strong, spicy Spanish Moss. The longer it is on me, the more it smells like a cologne - it's masculine and sort of outdoorsy/rugged and pleasant.

First sniff: A little bit of dust sprinkled over warm, woody richness. It’s very reminiscent of Jazz Funeral – that same smooth-wood warmth.

Wearing: Green warmth, soft spices and a poof of dust.

I get an almost masculine feel from this. It's predominantly woods and caramel, with a hint of tobacco. I can see the similarity to Arrival at the Sabbath, and even, Ventriloquist Dummy.

Nope. Not for me.

This is quite nice and caramelly on me, with a touch of spice. It is a frottle from the lab, and I'm assuming it's been nicely aging. I don't get masculine at all, just a creamy, beautiful spicy scent. It is kind of reminiscent of Glowing Vulva, but not as strong and more spicy. A very nice surprise!!

Oh, wow. I am surprised by how much I absolutely love this.

It comes off as mostly caramel to me in the bottle. When I put it on, it stays very sweet while wet & on the immediate drydown, with a sort of earthy-herbal undercurrent to it. It's not very "mossy" to me until a few hours have passed, and then it's a very sweet, creamy sort of moss. I absolutely adore this.

When I put it on after giving the bottle a good roll, it's a lot more spicy & earthy than it is without me doing that, I've discovered. I can smell the dust in it and the vetiver. Complete win.

Do I like you? Do I hate you? I can't decide! :huh?: It's like when your cat sniffs a spot on the floor and pulls his lips back to show his teeth. The moss, sage and vetiver give it a quick burst of bitter sharpness that's soon sweetened into a gooey, dark brown mass with the caramel and lilac. God knows I love black musk... Well??? I don't think anyone else will want to smell it on me (hubby hates it) but I'm keeping it. Cause I like it....?

Sweet and strange! And it gets me attention from boys! Equal parts herbal and sugary, this is quite an odd blend, but I like it. In the bottle it is almost too herbal, but the sweetness comes out when I put it on. I was hoping for more pepper and tobacco, but maybe they'll come out as it ages a bit more.

oh wow this is soooo sweet x.x it sounded perfect from the description, and i don't dislike it, it's just SO. SWEET.

i think applying less (i really slathered the hell out of myself with this) will help. it's one of those scents where you don't need more than a drop.

So glad I snagged a bottle from Etsy. I was worried that it would be more masculine, but the tobacco amps on me, and seems to be sweetened with herbs. Super smooth. Smells expensive and powerful. I can see this smelling good on both sexes. Love this!

Edited by Carrie

So funny reading reviews of this from when it was released that are all about caramel. Over 15 years later the caramel is pretty subtle! In its advanced age, Bad Luck Woman Blues is earthy, smoky, slightly herbal, with pleasant hits of the cologne elements and a soft, sweet background. Dries down into something quite balanced and wearable. Now to see if it works against bad luck dudes!

Edited to add: just gotta repeat the previous reviewer, it smells expensive and powerful. I'm so into it!

Edited by LavenderCoffee