Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
spanishviolet

Bakeneko

In sharp contrast to the stark sterility of Hunger Moon, we present a carnivorous chaotic charmer: the bakeneko. The Monster Cat is a shapeshifter, and is empowered to take the form of a beautiful woman (to entice lonely gentlemen) or a winsome young maiden (to the peril of childless couples). Though some bakeneko are benevolent, and only wish to find someone to care for them, or to show gratitude to a mortal that has done them a great service, others are furry balls of malevolent mayhem. Their mischief ranges from simply destructive -- knocking over lamps and destroying property, tossing ghostly, freezing fireballs from their hands -- to horrifying acts of carnage.

Warm amber musk, Satsuma tangerine, black tea leaf, cardamom, cherry blossom and cinnamon.

I've been waiting with bated breath for this one - very curious about the black tea leaf.

In the bottle: a light, slightly warm, spiced orange musk. Yum.

On: Gorgeous. The musk is warm but not heavy. I can smell the tea leaf, and it's tea-like without being astringent at all. The tea & tangerine combine & cherry blossom are all swirled together without being perfumey, in a warm subdued way. Over it all hangs the cardamom - always present, never overwhelming. The cinnamon is just enough to spice it up without taking over. Not much throw - it's sticking pretty close. I think I'll put it in my scent locket & give people lots of spicy tea hugs. :P

I really was worried about this when I opened the bottle and couldn't smell a thing!

My nose must have gone on strike last night, so I retested this morning.

In the Bottle: wet tea leaves and sweet citrus in the background.

Wet: The tea disappears and the musk comes forward, the citrus is so stronger it's become a tangerine musk affair. Where are my spices?

Dry: The cinnamon and cardamon warm up and mix in, the citrus that was so strong has faded to the backround. Most people don't seem to like cinnamon much, as skin reactions go. I'm a spice lover and the final result of spicy sweetness very much agrees with me. I wish it had a better throw, it stays very close to my skin.

I was really looking forward to getting the Baka kitty! Cinnamon and my skin don't get along very well, but the other listed notes are so gorgeous on me I decided to get a bottle and wear it in a scent locket if I had to. I couldn't pass spicy orange tea goodness up!

I'm glad I took a chance. I got one of the benevolent kitties. :P (The label art is great - kitty looks just like my old girl, Fangie!)

In the bottle: orange and cinnamon are definitely the dominant notes, but I can smell that cardamom in Treat #2, which thrills me - that note gives me the best drydown ever! I was a little afraid of the cinnamon on my skin, but what the hell. I never do anything halfway, so I put a good dab on my inner forearm where the skin is really tender. I can feel it tingle, but so far no rash! And it smells so good. The orange recedes, the spicy cinnamon and cardamom blend with the tea leaf and cherry blossom - very floral and reminiscent in tone of the Asian-themed lunacies from last year. It's soft, spicy, delicate and exotic. I don't smell much musk, but perhaps that's the note that makes it sexy? Almost no throw, but that could be because I just dabbed it, and not on a pulse point.

It's odd - the cinnamon seems to be digging little sharp claws into my arm, but there's no visible reaction. Is that the evil side of this kitty? Purrrrr. :D

This makes me feel mysterious, sophisticated and slinky, like a little black dress and pumps. I love it and I'm glad I gambled on a bottle!

At first I smell tangerine and soft, black tea. Then Bakeneko sweetens up a bit as the amber musk begins to warm up along with a low purr of cherry blossom. This is a very dry scent, almost sagely sinister in its feel, settling at last into a dry cinnamon and cardamom tea curled against my skin.

In the bottle, I smell mostly orange, with other, deeper scents behind it. On, I can smell the orange, but it rapidly gives way to warm spiciness. The spice that I really get here is cardamom (which is great, because it's one of my favorites). I can smell something that's enough like tea to be the black tea leaf, though it's not quite the direct smell of tea itself. Amber musk is the warmth that binds this together; I only get the slightest hint of cherry blossom (just a very very light tinge of sweetness), and I really only get cardamom, no cinnamon. But then, when I tried something that all the reviews swore up and down was CINNAMON, I got Necco Wafers, so I'm not sure I'm the best test case for cinnamon. Still, I would say that neither the cinnamon nor the cherry blossom are dominant, in case those are notes that were worrying you.

This really is wonderful warm spicy orange tea - I'm so happy! It kind of makes me think of the different colors of golden brown in orange tabby cats (of course, I have one, so I'm biased!), and the lovely dry warm feeling of clean cat fur (okay, I've been way overinfluenced by the whole theme - I promise you it doesn't smell of cat :P ). Anyway, I'm really pleased with it (so far, anyway!).

(And the bottle label is just adorable - I was expecting a much more exotic, vicious-looking creature, but this kitty is just so cute! And so ordinary looking, hee!)

straight sniff from bottle is a swirl or cinnamon and cardamom....

slightly foody...

do you like malkuth or kabuki? you will love bakeneko :P

once applied i think i am getting the tea and cherry combined with the

cinnamon and cardamom...this is a very unique fragrance...gorgeous;

super long lasting as well...nicely done!!

From the bottleOrange Pekoe Tea. Slightly medicinal.

Upon applicationThe tangerine is in the forefront but it also has a bit of a grassy background so it is more like green tea to me than black tea.

Dry DownThe cinnamon is really fighting to come out but it is tempered by the Tangerine and Cherry which is peeking from behind the corner to let me know of it’s presence. This is interesting because when I huff my wrists, I definitely get a warm spicy vibe but there is also a fresh, almost minty note to the blend as well. This is gorgeous and such a keeper,

Edited by judica

This is a warm citrus scent on me. I'd forgotten what the notes were when I first put it on, and was having trouble placing things. I was pretty sure I smelled amber- that would be the amber musk. This is the predominant note on me, nicely complimented by the satsuma. The spices are definitely background notes, though they're a good compliment, and make this a much more complex scent.

Overall, a nice, warm citrus scent. This is not a citrus for the heady days of summer. This one's for the winter.

Maybe you smell what you want to smell, but the cardamom in Bakerneko reminds me a lot of Spanked. There was no way I would be unhappy with an eponymous kitty scent, but the presence of one of my favorite notes make it all the nicer.

In the bottle: An almost medicinal sniff: all I get is a very sharp orange and musk. Buh? Where's my tea and cardamom?

On, wet: Musk attacks! :P some of Beth's musks are yummy on me, and some of them are stridently cologne-y. Apparently amber musk is one of the latter. Nooooo! I want to smell the spicy orange tea!

Drydown: (+10 minutes, approximately) The cardamom and tea leaf are shyly poking their heads out along with a tiny bit of orange as the musk monster starts to calm down; it's beginning to smell like Constant Comment tea, although the musk is definitely still present, prowling in the background. I don't get an amber quality from this at all, although it's definitely not a black or red musk. It is definitely a golden scent, however, and at this stage I like it a lot.

+1 hour: the kittymonster is almost gone. :D

This is definitely a beautiful wild creature, it's just a little TOO wild to begin with and if I have to reapply frequently, I need to figure out some way to settle that musk down. This may have to go to the back of the BPAL drawer to age a little, or possibly be layered with a vanilla or softer tea scent to soothe the cologne beast.

ETA: I got a little droplet on my shirt and it smells much sweeter and more balanced there, so this may be a scent locket candidate.

Edited by northatlantic

At first sniff: Hmmm, spicy, warm, strong. The cinnamon is on top, with a deep, heated amber musk underneath. This has a lot of throw and is very strong when first applied.

There is something very feline and animalistic about this. This perfectly embodies the idea of the Bakeneko. There is a lot of sticking power to this blend; it's one of those ones you can wash off with soap but still smell it.

This is a beautiful, sexy blend, but a little too cinnamon for my taste. Perfect for those who love musky cinnamon scents. A fun blend.

In the bottle: Cardamom, and a bit masculine.

Wet: Softly spicy. Not a loud spice at all. Wonder why I can't really smell any tangerine? :P Usually that pops up right at the beginning.

Dry: I like this a whole lot. It smells kind of like a spicy dark tea scent. Warm but not hot. What a fantastic combination of notes. Beautifully blended (no single note seems overly prominent) and wears close to the skin.

I almost didn't get a bottle of this because of the cherry blossom (don't like), and the cinnamon (makes me rashy). I'm so glad I did though, because this is absolutely gorgeous. It's soft, warm, spicy tea. I can't smell the cherry blossom, it must blend really well with the other notes. I tried it on the back of my hand, and so far, no rash. I'm scared to try it on the insides of my elbows though. Thank goodness for scent lockets.

Edited by ubersmurfy

in the bottle, a very faint, soft herbal tea w/ a hint of musk

wet: herbal tea, soft fresh, tea.

as it dries the musk becomes more prominent. i also am getting quite a bit of the cardamom, and cinnamon. w/ a backbone made of tea. i am not getting any citrus, nor am i getting florals. on me it is mostly musky spiced tea. and i am really enjoying it

I was so hoping to love the kitty (and I do love the label, just the oil within doesn’t like me much). Unfortunately, the cinnamon in this one really burns, and my skin normally isn’t sensitive (though it does seem to be more sensitive and temperamental lately, boooo).

The amber musk goes to perfumey baby powder, layered with an itchy cinnamon and a sweet, slightly soapy cherry. I can’t ever pick out any of the citrus. The powdery musk stays strong in the drydown, but the spice and sweet, fruity cherry (not even cherry blossom, it smells like maraschino cherries on me) keep shoving each other around and fighting for some dominance.

I don’t much care for powdery scents, and the cinnamon here is unpleasantly itchy. The spice smells good, but doesn’t feel so good.

I wish that I were getting the tea and sweet orange out of this :P citrus tea would have been lovely. I’m getting spiced cherries & baby powder. Stupid skin chemistry…

This certainly is a shapeshifter--three tests now and none of them smelled the same.

Test #1: first out it was a sort of sharp perfumy smell--it reminded me a lot of old Avon perfumes. About five minutes in it started to stink of rubbing alcohol and I couldn't stand it any more so I washed it off.

Test #2: I decided to give it another shot a day later, hoping that my chemistry had just been funny the first time. I got the Avon-perfume scent for a couple minutes, but then it turned into the lovely orangy tea that everyone else seems to be getting. Hurrah!

Test #3: This third time it started out right away with the lovely warm tea smell, but half an hour in it has developed a sort of sweaty smell, like unwashed gym clothes. I am so very sad. This has so much potential... :P

Bakeneko reminds me very much of Bengal, only slinkier and sultrier. It has only a medium throw on me and fades in a couple of hours. At first I was disappointed, thinking that I was getting nothing from Bakeneko that I couldn't get from Bengal, but then I realized that the musk was making me feel very prowly and mysterious. I love it! This is "date night" perfume.

BAKENEKO

In Bottle: Spicy musk

On Skin: I was worried about eh cinnamon and cardamom in this one and that the tea would amp on me, but it is gorgeous!!! Yay!! Monster Cat loves me!! The musk is most dominant and is so drop dead sexy… wowsers. The spices are second in line, soft and sweet. Not a heavy spice though, just warm enough to add to the sexiness and make the scent have some heat. They don’t burn my nose or make my eyes water or anything. The tea is also subtle, just a nice bitter note that balances the sweetness of the other notes. The tangerine is the faintest of all, just a nice squirt of citrus, perfect with the tea. The cherry blossom is also very light, a sweet floral that gives a little bit of femininity to the scent. Over all the scent is red in feel to me, but not blazing red… a more orangey/red tone. I don’t get mayhem from this scent, but I do get a sense of playfulness, just like a cat. It has a medium throw and long wearlength.

Bottle: First off, I'm having serious love for the label and am tempted to decant the contents into a different bottle so I can display this one without harming the oil. Anyway... In the bottle, Kitty is spicy-love. It's got a sweetness to it that reminds me of cinnamon toast, or possibly the cinnamon tea that my mother drinks and can't seem to find anymore.

Wet on skin: Woo. Put too much on and it's never gonna dry. The sugar-sweetness disappears and the overall feeling is warm and sensual. There's a bit of freshness as an undertone; I'm guessing it's the cherry blossom or the tea poking its head out, but it doesn't really smell like either. Just an airy waft.

(At this point I blotted the oil blob on my hand with a tissue, and the oil on the tissue smelled very tangerine-y. This oil may just be the one to make me find--and wear!--a scent locket. Not that I dislike it on my skin...not at all. I just also really like it on absorbent paper product.)

As it's drying: A different spice is coming out. This must be the cardamom. Nice to meet you, cardamom! (I've cooked with it once, and that was a while ago and combined with a whole bunch of other stuff in an Indian recipe.). Still sweet, and has the occasional waft of citrusy-ness. Not straight-out OH HAI THERE citrus, but citrusy-ness. Just the idea of oranges.

I'm glad the tea didn't overwhelm the scent like it has done in some blends for me. And thankfully, amber musk doesn't pull an amber on me and go all baby-powdery. That was another fear for me. But, I really, REALLY like this. Just the last five minutes have got me wondering if I should find another bottle to hoard :P

Edit to add: as it continues to dry I find that I really LOVE the waft, but I don't like the nose-to-skin scent quite as much. There's a firey aspect to it that stays close, while the more gentle warmth of the spices is what throws. Still in love, but I think the infatuation has died down to a more long-term "I'm happy with you" relationship.

Edited by Jaimi

Well, whatever Amber-Musk is it loves my skin. That's what greated me when the Crazy Cat hit my skin. Warm Amber Musk. The cinnamon doesn't take over for once YIPPEE!

It isn't til a bit later that the tangerine and tea come out. So my chemistry kind of does things a little backwards with the notes on this perfume.

Then eventually I can find the cardamom.

The dry down is beautiful and perhaps even sexy.

On me, Bakeneko is all orange-spice tea. The musk gives it a bit of depth, but all the other notes seem to disappear. Still, very yummy. I'll probably end up trying again in a week, to see if the skin chemistry changes things.

Oh! How yummy! Not too much orange or too much cinnamon or too much anything!

This is very well blended and smooth- and upon drydown the cardamom is fantastic.

I wish I had bought at least 2 more bottles of this stuff!

Warm, spicy, sensual, golden, sweet goodness!

OH this is lovely. I get the citrus that other people are talking about when it's wet, but it dries down into this lovely spicy sexy tea. If tea can be sexy. There's definitely cardamom and that musk brings it to a place where Bengal and chai-type scents are afraid to go.

In the bottle, Bakeneko wasn't any big woo for me -- it smells spicy, but almost a little dull. Deceiving little kitty cat! When it hits my skin, I get musk with citrus and cardamom. Upon further drydown, it's a dark spice tea, lots of cardamom and a warm skin-scent from the musk, which saves it from being a pure tea scent. Lurking underneath is just a teense of sweetness, which must be teh cherry blossom. Just. Freaking. Gorgeous. It's an extremely well-balanced scent, and finally, a scent with cardamom that isn't overwhelmed by another component when it hits my skin. This is a scent to absolutely treasure, because it is so utterly beautiful.

Edited by valentina

In the bottle, Bakeneko smells like musky, spicy tea. It's darker than I anticipated. On, the cardamom is the most prominent note - it usually is with me. The cherry blossom and tangerine are just the merest hints that brighten up the musk and tea. Gorgeous.

Cardamom sometimes makes me feel slightly ill; it's just a scent reaction that I have. The citrus and cherry blossom in Bakeneko smell almost bubblegum-y, and I personally don't like this sweet smell in conjunction with the cardamom. I really adore this scent, but might not be able to wear it.

ETA this is starting to smell like cinnamon gum on me. I like it.

Edited by blueroses