Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Simplicity and innocence, gleefully despoiled! Sugared rose.

Hope smells delicious in the imp. I wish it stayed the same on my skin, but I often have trouble with rose. :P The imp really appealed so I'm sad it didn't work out, but, hey, I do have one or two drops of other BPAL lovelies to appreciate. I seldom have this experience. Mostly, a great-smelling imp means a great-smelling wrist.

Wet this is sweet pink roses and sugar. It has a dewy/watery quality to it too. When first on it smells pretty much the same but the sugar is a little stronger than the rose. This stays pretty true to the wet stage which is fine with me because I love it! This is a must try for any rose lover :P If you don't like rose, stay away from this one :D

Hope smelled really yummy on me when wet, not to sweet and certainly not an overpowering rose. Unfortunately upon drying, it made me smell like play doh. I'm keeping my decant just in case, though, because it was so good wet.

Love both the twins....but probably Faith a bit more. This is a beautiful soft rose, with that sweet sugary coating. Not the brisk, green tinged rose in Rose Red, or the sharp, thick rose in WHip. Very sexy and alluring. Almost has a mellow edge to it, especially during the drydown. Like Faith, this has a very faint powdery scent as it wears down on my skin. But I like that...it makes this seem old fashioned (in a 50's sex kitten kind of way) and very feminine.

Well, it's a little too much rose for me, sadly. But I'm not usually a rose fan, so that's not too surprising. :P

I like the "sugared" aspect of it, though, and this is a very pretty rose. Doesn't smell soapy on me at all. Just sweet, and kind of pink.

Perhaps Faith will work a little better for me.

I knew Faith would never work on me -- Violet = death on my skin. But rose I have a sneaking fondness for, even though my skin loves to amp it to intolerable proportions, and I am always hoping (so to speak) to find a rose scent or two that actually work on me. And there are a few that come close... This is almost, maybe, one of them.

It's odd -- you wouldn't expect sugar to make a scent less sweet. But it sort of does. BPAL's sugar note is one of those ones that confuses me, because actual sugar doesn't have too much of a scent, but its effect here seems to be to soften the rose a bit. I'm still glad I only put on a teeny amount, as the rose does amp, but on the whole it's not too bad.

It still smells almost entirely of rose, but that bit of counterpoint from the sugar mellowing it makes it more bearable than plain rose would be on me. It also makes it a tiny bit reminiscent of some kind of Indian drink or dessert with rosewater in it, which is not a bad thing at all. I may just have to hang on to the little bit I had left from the decant circle I did...

Grade: B

Carnaval Diabolique: Hope

I have not yet met a BPAL rose that I didn't like - so the prospect of a SUGARED rose was irrisistable!

In the Bottle:

I smell mostly sugar with a faint undercurrent of rose.

The rose does not seem to be the same fresh rose found in Rose Red 2005. It is far more subdued; or there is a massive sugar rush in a bottle here! LOL

:D

On my Skin, Wet:

::drool::

::snuggles wrist::

Can happiness be a sugared rose?

Of all the rose scents I've tried from BPAL - this one is the most beautiful!

Rose Red 2005 is the most natural, literally.

But Hope is the most prized rose of the rose garden - she is the one that redefines loveliness and is the epitome of the ideal pink rose. Simply Marvelous!

On my Skin, Dry:

It's a lovely tango between the sugar and rose.

Each note takes it's turn between coming to the forefront and being the supporting role.

I am continually impressed by the fluctuations.

oooo - I think there might even be just a tiny, tiny dash of something green in here!

If I am smelling something green (which I'm not entirely sure about) then it's probably a very, very delicate herb or a tiny pinch of grass.

Astounding!

Verdict:

I don't usually want to hoard a BPAL scent, but Hope might make the exception for the Siamese Twins!

BTW, my definition of hoarding would be 5 bottles or more.

Problem is - there is a mortgage payment in between me and hoarding. LOL! :P

Phenominal!

I adore anything with rose. It's something that will always appeal to me and which always works well on my skin. Hope is no exception, wet it smells of fresh rose with sugar sprinkled on top. In the vial it smelled a bit musty and stale, but thankfully it turns into a lovely rose on my skin. I found it reminded me a bit of Victorian rose scents, but that disappears once it starts to dry down. Dry it turns a little powdery and the rose loses its freshness.

In all though, this works for me! It's just a shame I don't find violets that appealing, otherwise I'd surely be trying out her sister as well.

In the bottle: this is rose syrup - it smells exactly like a rosewater syrup I'd bought, one summer.

Wet: a rather sharp green rose, with a sugar background. Compared to the twin sister, this is more floral than sugary. It also takes on this creamy "sunscreen" scent.

Drydown: it becomes dusty rose, with sugar. it's really quite musty, definitely not really edible. The sugar lingers in the background, it didn't go burnt sugar (yet?), it's more like a lazy syrup.

Overall: A rose syrup, with a hint of sunscreen. It's actually quite bitter, for a rose scent, sort of musty and dark, unlike its twin sister that's very sweet and upbeat. I love rose scents, but I don't think this one will make it into my permanent collection.

In the bottle: First sniff, roses and sugar. Second sniff, vanilla sugar. Wet on my skin: Strong, slightly green roses, vanilla sugar, and a hint of floral soap. Dry on my skin: Roses dusted with powdered sugar.

Hope's pleasant enough, but she's overshadowed by her sister. Still, I'll keep her around.

I've worn Hope about six times in the last two weeks. Normally, I wear any given scent about once or twice a month, if that. I just keep being drawn back to it.

Sugary rose wet, rose with sweet vanilla dry. I do get a vanilla undercurrent after it dries down. It lasts forever as well - the first time I put it on was at noon, and I could smell it still the next morning.

I've always had to mix bpal's roses with something sweet to make them work on me, and this is the one blend that has it all, in just the right proportions.

In the bottle, wet, and dry, this one is sugar sugar sugar.... rose.

The sugar doesn't overwhelm the rose, but it's the first thing to hit you. This is white, candy sugar, and it's SWEET. I think the rose ins this is more noticeable than the violet in Faith. The rose is a lovely, rich rose, like the rose in Abhisarika or Lady Luck Blues. It blends well with the sugar and is very pretty. Throw is average and life is a little better than average (still noticeable after 4 hours). It doesn't seem to morph at all, except that the rose probably fades before the sugar.

I love it in the bottle and like it in theory, but unfortunately, it turns really soapy on my skin, so I think I will have to pass. Try it if you love rose and want a sweet blend!

Edited by naeelah

I've been searching for a rose scent that's not too powerful, and this is absolutely spot-on! Just what I was looking for, finally! It has good throw as well- I didn't much oil! Really beautiful, especially if you're looking for a sweeter rose scent.

Well, one can never accuse me of lacking persistence. As of yet, BPAL rose turns to playdough on my skin. :P But, I couldn't resist giving Hope a try. Sugared rose just sounds so delicious, doesn't it? And well . . . Hope gave me hope that I might eventually find a rose that worked.

And in the bottle, it is delicious. It's sweet and sugary, covering a fresh aromatic bouquet of bright pink roses. In fact, I can't help but keep opening the bottle to take a whiff. It's that good. :D It actually made me think of a sweet, floral beverage. Maybe a beautifully sweetened rose tea.

However, the moment it touched my wrist . . . playdough, all the way. At least until my skin ate it up 5 minutes later. :D

Hope will be off to find a better home than I, unfortunately. Someone whose skin chemistry treats rose the way it should be treated!

I like this one a lot. It's very simple, sweet, and girlie. It's to rose what Pink Moon 07 is to carnation.

It smells exactly like it's supposed to: sugared rose. It is pink and fresh and sweet, and it has the right amount of throw and wearlength. The rose doesn't get too cloying like it tends to on my skin. It pairs really well with Faith, either side by side or else layered. Try it, you'll love it!

A decant in a purchase from squirrelmonkey.

Wet, the sweet rosiness of this reminds me of rose pastilles or something, unsurprisingly. I had expected this to be a lighter, younger rosebud-type scent, but it is actually a full-blown rose. Also, there's a slight sourness to this that fades as it dries.

Dry after about 30 minutes, the sweetness comes out more, though it never overpowers the rose. I've put on a dab of Possets' Silver Roses as well to compare the two, and it seems like Hope is a purer rose scent without the vanilla-y yumminess of Silver Roses. Hope is a bit more subtle than SR as well and seems like the city to SR's country. (If that helps you any!)

All in all a very nice fresh, sweet rose that seems quite sophisticated. I could easily imagine wearing this one at a fancy dinner.

In the bottle initially I could smell the scent of roses and candy. When wet on my skin: faint rose, vanilla sugar, and something else a bit intangible.

When dry on my skin, the candy scent overpowers the rose, and there feels a bit of a imbalance. I normally love roses, but this rose feels in the shadow and whilst I love sweet scents, this is a bit too much.

I bought this set fully expecting to love Hope more out of the two but I'm finding I'm drawn to Faith much more.

Generally, I don't wear rose as it turns to soap on me -- although I do very much enjoy the rose scent. In case of Hope, sugar somehow prevents the soapiness, so the rose stays true on my skin, a bit sweet but very delicate and pleasant. Very nice!

I just had enough of this to dab and I think I much prefer it to its twin Hope which wasn't sugared enough for my liking. This seems to be the perfect balance of sugar and rose. Will definitely need another -- full -- imp. I really like this rose blend, more so that others I've tried.

In the bottle, sickly-sweet floral. And I’m someone who loves sweet blends and florals.

Wet on my skin, it’s the vanilla from Antique Lace (which, unfortunately gives me a headache D:) and a sweet, dusty rose.

This smells very dry to me, for some reason. It might be the “dusting” of sugar, but it definitely comes off sweet and dry on my skin, hardly any rose to speak of. After a few minutes, the high-pitched sugar smell calms down a little and starts to smell a bit warmer on my skin. It becomes more and more rosey and less and less sugary as it has time to sink into my skin, but the sugar doesn’t go away entirely. After the initial shock of sugar, this is gorgeous, and I’m keeping this bottle. <3 :P

I haven't reviewed this? Surprised. I bought it from chi months ago.

It starts out with the same kind of fresh, dewy rose like in Alice or in Possets' Frou Frou (which chi gave me as a gift) - the kind which smells wonderful but when smeared on me more than a little, turns to rubbery plastic. But I didn't know this at the time, because it was my first scent with that rose. I don't get much in the way of sugar, though it does have a sweet quality that Alice and the Posset don't have. The rose, though, goes funky on me. Tried it in a locket and it's wonderful in that. So I need a good locket (I'm taking donations).

In the bottle:

Almost screamingly sweet rose. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but wow, the sweet!

Wet:

It's what you would expect from the description, sugared rose. And so far, I am loving it. The sugar somehow manages to tone down the rose and keep it from being too overpowering. I know that sounds sort of odd to say that pure sugar is toning something down, but it is. I am really surprised how much I am liking this one!

Dry:

Creamy roses, with just a tiny soapy undertone. Not enough soapiness to be yucky, at least not to me. I really like this one.

Edited to add:

On me, Hope and her sister Faith seem to be pretty similar. Which isn't really a problem, since I love both. I'm really surprised how much I love both, actually, as I'm not a floral person in general and I often don't like rose.

Edited by n3m3sis42

Oh, yum!

In the imp, it's rose all the way--sweet, dewy roses, with just a dusting of sugar

Wet: Still very rose, but I get the actual "sugar" note now. It's not soapy at all (thank heaven!)

Drydown: I put on just a little smidge, courtesy of a certain friend of mine :P and it's still there--it's not as "damp rose" as it was earlier--it is, if you've ever had candied rose petals--nearly perfect to its description. It really is a very nice, sweet, slightly dry rose and sugar. Yum... thinking I might need a bottle of this...