Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the bottle: Foody! Something buttery/creamy. Reminds me greatly of cinnamon buns, for some reason. Some lovely fresh ginger, too. Much smoother and less intense than I expected.

Wet: Hotter -that red-hot cinnamon with dry, spicy ginger to back it up. Also a sort of nutty note - peanut? Odd. Still very foody/cakey. I get an edge of brown sugar.

Dry: CINNAMON-ginger hot, hot spice over sweet, nutty cake. Interesting, and not much snake oil (or else it's all burned out by the spices). Not my thing, though.

*dances around*

I smell like sexy cookies!

This is a beautiful cinnamon-y spicy snake oil blend on me.

That's exactly how my hubby would describe this scent on me: a sexy cinnamon cookie

Hubby bought me this scent for Valentine's Day. :wub2: He loved Temple Viper on me that he researched the other SnakeOil blends and decided that SawScaled Viper would be divine on me.

He was right.

This scent is wonderful!

The throw is amazing -- I don't tend to 'throw' my scents very far. I don't need much of this scent - the slightest bit permeates my being until my next shower. LOVE this scent and so glad hubby bought me a bottle of it.

"Sexy cookies" is a good phrase for this scent. To me, this is cinnamon syrup with serious nutty tones and light ginger. Pretty and I can see getting a bottle, although I think I'd rather eat this than smell like it. Ah well, maybe that will make me even more edible to some :)

In the bottle: This is dry woody cinnamon and red ginger. There's no sweetness at all.

Wet on skin: The same dry woody cinnamon, with ginger.

Dry on skin: The blend becomes gentler when dried, and I can now detect sweet vanilla undertones. It's nice, but definately not my favorite snake of the Pit.

Final thoughts: It seemed like another promissing snake of the bunch, but alas, I'm a bit bummed about it. This blend makes me think about Devil's Night, without any sweetness or foodiness. I like it, but the cinnamon & ginger are so dry on me that I think I'll layer it with some Snake Oil.

ETA: The scent really mellowed out after a while and some sweetness started to come out, but still not enough for me! I'll definately be layering this with extra Snake Oil.

Edited by CreamyJade

In bottle/imp: Cinnamon sugar with a bite of ginger.

Immediately on skin: I get no snake oil out of this… all I get is a mixture of cinnamon and ginger with a very sugary feel to it. This is spicy and smells very red and hot.

After a little while: As this settles, the cassia comes out more on my skin (like a watery cinnamon note almost) but the sweet cinnamon and ginger mixture is still going strong. I get no snake oil out of this at all.

Overall Impressions: This lacks in the snake oil department on me. The spices are all very strong and sweet and very overpowering. This is spice, spice, and more spice with nothing to really temper it.

Saw-Scaled Viper

I sniffed the bottle and kind of recoiled from the ginger. Dabbed it on anyway, though. On the skin, the ginger recedes, and it's a marvelous cinna-ginger Snake Oil. "Sexy cookies" is a really good description for this. I love the sweet-spicy foody Lab oils, as well as Snake Oil, and this is a beautiful marriage of the two.

Yay yay yay!! <happy dance> I was a little nervous about the cinnamon overload some people have gotten from this since I'm not a big spice lover, but this works really well :) One of the few snake pit oils that work on me as well as SO by itself (King Cobra's the other one). Very strong cinnamon at first, but it started blending and playing well with the other notes after about half an hour. Smelled fantastic next to the Nany Ashtoreth on my other arm, so I might need to experiment with layering these two.

This is the perfect marriage of Shub and Snake Oil.

Snake Oil + Shub = Saw-Scaled Viper.

'nuff said! :lol:

Spicy, cinnamon and ginger blended with Snake Oil, simply maaahhhh-lelous, dahling! :yum:

In the imp, this smells like CINNAMON. And, on my skin, wet, that's what dominates thus far. And through the drydown. Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon. It'll be good to wear here and there, but it's not anything I need a bottle of.

Edited by Venneh

Saw-Scaled Viper smells almost precisely like Bengal to me. Bengal is a favorite, so no complaints there. But there's also something more... something more woody and potent about it. The ginger is particularly delicious, with hints of fizzy ginger ale as well as hot gingerbread. The Snake Oil influence is low, in my opinion.

It is REALLY spicy though, and almost burns my eyes when I sniff it! And there is some slight irritation at the application site. I've never had a problem with spice notes before, so this stuff would probably ravage anyone with allergies or sensitivities. I do quite like the scent, but I'm not sure any more than Bengal, which is just mellower enough to not upset my skin and eyes.

I got a bit of this frimped in a swap, and I'm holding on to the rest of it for a friend but I had to try a little myself first. And wow, it smells delicious. Exactly like warm sugar-cookies with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top in the last 5 minutes like we do them at my house- the actual sugar cookie LE goes play-doh on me, but this doesn't. This is the first cinnamon I can remember that hasn't smelled like big red gum on me, it just smells like real cinnamon-sugar. I don't know if it's the influence of the vanilla or ginger or what, but I love it. Usually I don't wear things this foody because they just make me hungry all the time, but I'll make an exception for this. Maybe it's the hidden incense base, but this is more wearable than usual.

This is mostly a sniffie bottle.

Bottle: kinda smells like gingerbread..or baking gingersnaps.

It was a wand cap bottle, so I rolled the wand over my wrist. There was a little oil left. It smelled like the bottle at first and then my wrist took on this sweet vanilla gingery smell. Yummy. The original snake oil failed on my skin, but this stuff seems to get along pretty well with me.

Sadness. This must be the first cinnamon blend in the history of perfumery that doesn't work on me. It may well be the ginger that makes it too sharp - whatever it is, Saw-Scaled Viper is by no means horrible on me, but it's not nearly as good as extra-spicy Snake Oil ought to be.

I will re-test in a few days, and if it stays the same, this little Viper may have to coil itself up in my Swaps box until I find it a better home.

WOAH CINNAMON! yes it deserves all caps. If you like no love cinnamon you need this. Unfortunately not for me....

If you are a fan of cinnamon, this is a must try for you. In the bottle and wet it is just all cinnamon. Makes your nose wrinkle a bit. Once it dried down on me, the ginger came out more. I agree with the person that said this is gingersnap cookies in a bottle. It'd work for me as a room scent over the holidays but not something I personally want to smell like. Not interested.

What the...?! I was so sure this would be worth an unsniffed order. I think my nose is not quite right in the... uh, nose, since I haven't read other reviews that give the impression I am having!

Just received this in the mail today; new, Lab fresh. Possibly bottle-shocked, but I rolled it gently for quite a long time in my palm to ensure that it would be well mixed before I tried it...

A while back, I ordered Siren, and it was horrid to my nose - it smelled like dusty mouldy old ginger & jasmine. This smells like a lot like that, minus the jasmine. Dusty, old, weird. Not like sexy Snake Oil with some hot spices thrown in. Like spicy dust!

Please tell me this will age well. Please tell me this will age well. Please tell me this will age well. Please tell me this will age well.

As it dries down more, it gets sassier, but only just. I almost feel like I smell dragon's blood... and I loathe, despise and hate dragon's blood. *is so confused* The cinnamon gets stronger and stronger, becoming sweet and reminding me of Red Hots candies (in a good way). It's tingling a bit, too. That's a lot of cinnamon!

Okay, dry down is way better than fresh. Like night and day. But really tingly. I'd be worried about putting this in the usual places (behind ears, hollow of throw, a swipe on the breastbone) because it might make the skin red and angry. But in a scent locket, it would smell like that awful not-quite-right ginger. Argh!

... I think I should pass this on.

Edited by obsidienne

oh yum! yum yum yum!

I just, not more than an hour ago, ripped open my easter bunny wish package from the amazing Andrea912 and this was in it, as a SUPRISE!!!, it was on my wish list but i wasnt expecting it, and to my happiness, I love it so so so much! I have been searching for the perfect Cinnamon for ages, and this is it!

Cassia, Cinnamon, Ginger, omg! on me, this smells similar on skin as it does in the imp. It gets a little more candy-like in the drydown, with some more spices coming out, and in the imp its more cinnamon and incense. Both are amazing. I need hordes of this.

Wet, I get intense ginger. Just gintense. It's like the sharpest gingerbread I've made. Which means it is also a bit sweet and a bit bready.

Dry, it is like breathing in sweet cinnamon, ginger wood. There is a heaviness to it that is not as common for me, I almost feel like I can chew the scent. Which is nice, because I want to eat my arm up right now.

Saw Scaled Viper is definitely *not* subtle. To me it smells like red hots wet, only deeper, more complex, and it dries into rich woody cinnamon with wafts of the other spices and the Snake Oil floating around. If you can handle being distinctly cinnamon, this is gorgeous.

I was initially a little wary of Saw-Scaled due to how intensely spicy it is. In the bottle I get a fairly savory scent - more ginger than cinnamon, I think. But as it dries down on my skin, the cinnamon comes forward and sweetens it up quite a bit, till my wrist smells like gingered red hots. At first I liked it, not quite love, but I've found myself reaching for it fairly often, and liking it more each time. If this keeps up, I may need another bottle soon...so overall? :wub2:

Very gingery with a sweet cinnamon. Just a hint at SO lurking beneath. It actually makes the inside of my nostrils tingle when I inhale.

This is just a tiny tester, so it may not be accurate -- but I love what I've got so far!

Bottle: a kind of sour ginger-spice smell over snake oil

Wet: more cinnamon (or cassia, I can't tell them apart) plus the snake oil

Dry: the spices blend nicely with the snake oil. Warm, vanilla, spicy goodness. OMG must have more!

Snake Oil with a cinnamony-ginger tinge. It doesn't seem to mix well to me, the mysterious vanilla-musk-spices of Snake Oil and then the sharp cinnamon and ginger offset each other. This burned a bit, but faded quickly. The red ginger in particular was the only note left and it is not a good one on me. I swapped my bottle away.

Wet on skin: Red Hots mixed with Ginger Altoids. Mmm...spiceh!

Drydown: It's a li'l on the sweeter side, rather than a dry or dusty spice. I get a faaaaint hint of Snake Oil (thankfully, not the dark fruitiness), but it's still mostly cinnamon and ginger, with a very mild powerery kick, like when ya gently squeeze a canister of baby powder and it does the barest of *poofs* (but don't be scared, I hate baby powder too, and I'm still enjoying this greatly)

Overall (after letting it sit for about 15-20 minutes): This was not a morpher, which most BPALs are, on me. This stayed a true, cinnamony-ginger, with the barest hints of Snake Oil in the background. I don't like Snake Oil at all, but I do like this. While it works on my chemistry, it's a lot less complex than I was hoping it would be, so while I probably won't get a bottle, I'll be a little more hesitant to keep it listed on my swaps page. It seems it could be an awesome layering scent for those who need to give something a bit more of a spicy punch.

ETA: I have VERY sensitive skin (can't even use baby lotion without breaking out) and the spice in this did not irritate my skin at all, but your mileage may vary. :)

Edited by beturtlement