Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
magpiedee

The Unicorn

A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

This is a light, airy, ethereal green floral on me. It doesn't really smell fruity on me, but it does have a hint of herbs that give it a certain pale greenness. It is very wispy and light and beautiful, but it is lasting a surprisingy long time on me. I really like this, it's perfect for spring days when you just want to wear something light and pretty.

Another scent that I'm in love with and must buy more. I took one sniff, and immediately I thought "this is what a unicorn would smell like". Not the horsey looking unicorns that are often portrayed on calendars and books. I'm talking about the unicorns from Medieval times with more of a deer like body and a tufted tail. It's such a lovely scent, and I can always tell when a BPAL oil is a keeper when my boyfriend goes "you smell good!" and tries to nibble at my wrist.

Wispy? Perhaps. The Unicorn made me think more of a unicorn running fast and free through a meadow rather than a wispy little creature.

*is so excited to finally have this scent!!*

in vial: extremely light in the bottle. I can faintly smell eucalyptus perhaps? and something very sweet, like watermelon candy. (Yes I know that's the 2nd or 3rd time I've reviewed something and said 'watermelon candy' lol. I swear Beth could make a scent called 'Man Musk' and it could be likely I'd smell watermelon candy :P I'm silly)

wet on skin: this scent is so perfectly ethereal! It still has this candy sweet scent but I can't detect what kind of fruit smell it is. Lime maybe? Lime skittles! exactly! wow!

this is DEFINITLY an OMFG BPAL!! for me!! I love it so much. I imagine the unicorns from the movie Legend more than the Alice in Wonderland unicorn. in fact this scent reminds me of the whole movie!! OMG.

this is going to be bought in a 10ml, 20 ml....GALLON. I LOVE IT.

This is so light and ethereal. In the vial its a little minty, but on my skin, its white flowers. White flowers in a mist and covered in dew. I still get a faint touch of mint, but its not over powering mint. This is a very light, faint scent.

Wow! I got The Unicorn as a generous freebie, and might have have paid attention to it otherwise.

I haven't had it on long, so not sure how the drydown will go, but it's just lovely. I get an almost candylike sweetness from the herbs; I can see what someone else said about melon candy, but it's not overpowering at all. It's a very "fresh sweet air" kind of scent, a nice change from the heavily sweet/incensey/heady scents I usually favour.

The Unicorn is a sweet sweet dewey floral on my skin. It's almost too faint for my tastes, but lovely none the less.

There is a crisp mint-candy note that contasts beautifully with the soft floral. Very feminine and soft.

Deffinately not a scent I would have picked out on my own. Thank goodness for frimps!

Wet this is sweet berries maybe or cherry. When first on it’s a pale, misty, very light floral like baby’s breath flowers. I also get a hint of fruit- peach? After a few minutes floral notes develop more- sweetpea? freesia? This is a very soft, pale, wispy, ethereal blend. Quite nice but because it’s so light I don’t need to keep it.

In the bottle: Herbs! It smells very sweet and somewhat medicinal, there's linden in there, and a powerful herb I can't quite put my finger on. There's also a very aquatic tone in it - not like the sea, but like a gentle brook.

Wet: The same mixture of herbs and aquatic notes immediately become slightly powdery and very subtle.

Drydown: Now you can smell the nectar of the linden blooms, like honey, mixed with the herbs that fade to the background. The flowers come out finally, very light and sweet, but the background of herbs is still there. Funnily, the sweet flowers come to you in wafts when you're not expecting it, while you smell the herbs and linden more if you smell the spot with the perfume. After a while, the sweetness mellows into a soft herby, slightly tangy scent, very much like hay and delicate white flowers.

Overall: The smell of dewy meadows on a bright spring morning - of course the Unicorn is here. As said in other posts, it's doesn't remind us of Caroll's unicorn as much as unicorns from "The Last Unicorn" and especially from "Legend" - it's very feminine and delicate, strongly linked to nature. It morphs quite a bit, going from very herby to very sweet and finally settling into a mellow softness. It smells clean and fresh as well as mysterious - just like a white unicorn. I really like it, a real BPAL success!

In bottle: soft and grassy. I think linden smells somewhat lemony to my nose.

Wet: the herbal component is soft and sweet and slightly clean

Dry: it doesn't really morph on my skin very much. No lemony notes came out as they usually do with linden. It's a nice skin scent and clings close.

In the Bottle: I have no clue what's going on this evening, but appearantly all the ones I like I drop the wand to...what's with that? As soon as I picked up the applicator from the floor I smelled the most fantastic smell. It's light, whimsical and made me close my eyes, get a cheesy grin and just mumble "mmmmmmmmmmm". This one's a keeper. Whether or not it works on my skin. I'll make it into a room freshener if I have to. This is far to luscious to get rid of.

Wet: Herbs. Dastardly herbs on top of a bit of flowers. I'm going to test this again and see if it's not just something infecting the scent. It didn't smell even close to this in the bottle.

Drydown: Ok.....wet is not so great but drydown? Sumptuous. The herbs calm down into a magical portent and the flowers have come back around and are now a laurel around this magical beast's head. If I could have ever imagined what a unicorn would smell like, THIS would actually be it. It's soft and earthy and magical yet it keep it's aloof enchantment till the very last moment. I'm in love again.

Pink Candy floss. There seems to be a white floral beneath the overwhelming sugary smell that is trying to ground the sweetness of the blend, but with my chemistry it’s failing.

My skin, for whatever reason, amps up the sweetness in most blends and the Unicorn is no exception.

It is very innocent and playful, though, and very much something a little girl may like to wear.

For me, however, it’s making my teeth ache.

3/5

In the bottle:

Bubblegum sweet, with a hint of mint. Reminds me of Tarot: The Fool

Wet:

Oof. Sweetness amping up.

Drydown:

I get straight pear from this, a very artificial note. It's cloyingly sweet, and not for me.

Both in the bottle and when I first put this on, I was strongly reminded of Fruit Stripe gum.

After about an hour, the scent has completely dissipated and I could not smell it on me at all. Kind of disappointing, though I'll try it again, and maybe be a wee bit more heavy-handed this time as I really do like the way it smells.

This is indeed luminous and misty. It calls to mind a silvery blue color--fitting for a unicorn.

The scent is slightly sweet, slightly floral, slightly herbal, and very clean and fresh. It's light and delicate, and perfect for those days when you want to smell nice but not overwhelm anyone.

Edited by Sheila

My god, another keeper, this one is absolutely amazing . From the imp to my skin, it remains relatively consistent; sweet, floral, it reminds me of a certain kind of candy that I can't recall just now, but it's delicious. Almost syrupy sweet, but not cloying in the least, which makes all the difference. Just very warm and calming and completely yummy. Magic!!!

After a short while, it changes somewhat, slightly, but I couldn't even begin to tell you how, just that it becomes even more glorious, if that is even possible! It is reminding me of days spent at the pool in the summer when I was a little girl. Not in an icky chlorine way, but something about it . . . I feel deeply happy, wearing it. :) Almost heartbreakingly so.

I definitely want a bigger bottle of this one. Ahhhhh, so so so in love!!!!!

Delicate and ethereal, with a certain delicious element in it... but... there's also a weird "fruit punch" smell that I just can't ignore and get past.

This is another, like Ouija and Seance, that I expected to love and instead regretfully put into the swap pile.

the only word i can think to describe the unicorn is precious. it smells of soft, sweet herbs with beautiful sweet florals. i normally like dark dusky florals, but this is a beautiful scent for a sunny day- like the first day of spring when the sun finally begins to shine after months of overcast.

White and pretty, vaguely floral, a liitle civet, i think, believe it or not. it's got a bit of feral. It's not that noticable, I just have a single note of it and I think I picked it up.

:P omy, i just spilt the whole imp on my arm. :D and it's STILL very light.

On -wet: (AHAHAHHAHA): light, white, pretty much same as in bottle minus the feral. My skin soaks this up FAST.

Dry: This fades really fast on me. It hasn't really morphed at all. I'll check back in an hour if it has. I mean, it's *there* it's just very light.

Very pretty, though. It's wispy, reminds me of unicorn dust or fine wisps of their hair.

The Unicorn was not what I expected. It's sweet, green and light floral. I *adore* this. Very lovely. :P

Edited by icemoca

Short review: Beth has created Hope in A Bottle.

More detailed review: Wet, there is a crisp, almost aquatic herbal smell underscored by pale, non-cloying florals. I'm reminded of morning glory and lily of the valley, though I have no idea of those are the actual notes used. After drydown, the florals become a bit stronger while the herbals remain noticeable and give this blend a refreshing characteristic. In no way do the herbals ever begin to smell medicinal, though the Unicorn does act as an antitote to cynicism and the blahs, both in legend and in BPAL.

This perfume evokes misty, dewy mornings in the forest and lying in a patch of herbs and flowers in a sun-dappled glade beside a rocky stream, or dancing in the moonlight on Midsummer's Night. It's ethereal. I has no idea that a scent could actually shimmer, but the Unicorn does. If the Pre-Raphaelites or Brian Froud were perfumers, this is what they'd make. It's is very light and without a lot of throw, which works perfectly for the mood it evokes.

This is going to be a 10ml bottle. I truly love this scent.

edited to fix typos which slipped by in my blissed-out-by-Unicorn state

Edited by PirateMaggie

OMFG. Yes. Unicorn me! I tried this in a mad BPAL multi-testing evening, when I had like eleventy billion scents all over my arms (and one knee!) I kept smelling something wonderful. Sniff here, nope, sniff there, nope. Finally found it was indeed The Unicorn smelling amazing. Linden blossoms? Maybe. I dunno. I don't get so very much a floral from this as simply a gut reaction of YUM. I must admit I don't love the name, I'll feel a little dorky admitting to people that I'm wearing The Unicorn if anyone asks, but I can live with that for the divine scent. It smells clear sparkling white to me. Quite sweet. Not ethereal really or wispy, it's reasonably assertive on my skin.

I will definitely need a full size of this, stat!

Full on 5 out of 5, plus it's much different than my other faves, which generally seem to be foody, ambery, or seriously exotic.

I tried the Unicorn for the first time over a year ago, but swapped it away without making notes... I received it again as a frimp, and decided to give it another go:

Wet, this smells like greenness, like the unripe skins of exotic fruits in a grocery store. I smell a floral note I can't identify. ("White flowers?" :P) Just a moment later, I catch a whiff of soapy rose-- and then it's all over-- it's going completely soapy.

I have smelled a linden essential oil, and *love* it, but I don't detect anything like that in this blend, boo hoo!

Very pretty and soft fragrance.

Floral but not too girly but yet is innocent and lovely.

One of my first BPAL loves.

Highly recommend this for younger person just starting to wear fragrance.

Fresh From The Imp: My guess would be that one of these white flowers is lily, since that's what I'm getting the biggest wiff of. That, and something sweet.

Wet On My Flesh: Mostly the flowers now, light and airy.

Drying Down: Somehow it's managing to get *stronger* than it was originally, with just a hint of the first sweetness that it showed.

Hour To Integrate: The sweet is practically gone, and the flowers are fading out. It's still a very "white" scent to me.

End Of Day/Final Report: I'm not normally a floral person, but I've got two imps of this, and I'm KEEPING THEM BOTH. NYAH.