Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
spaceprostitute

Snake Oil Help! Layering it, Snake Pit scents, blends with Snake Oil

Seconded aged Snake Oil.

It has nasty, patchouli, powdery ass-tones when fresh (at least to me). Even a few months of aging makes a HUGE difference for me.

Now I feel the urge to go bust out my bottle from last year. Mmm.

The above posters are so right: I'll bet Love's Philosophy would be just right for you. In fact, when I first tried it, I thought it smelled similar to Snake Oil, but not so spicy. :P

I haven't been watching the swaps, though, so I have no idea how difficult LP is to get hold of...Anyone know?

I have to chime in with everybody else and also mention Love's Philosophy. I think it's the best vanilla scent BPAL has. Give it a try.

The above posters are so right: I'll bet Love's Philosophy would be just right for you. In fact, when I first tried it, I thought it smelled similar to Snake Oil, but not so spicy. :P

I haven't been watching the swaps, though, so I have no idea how difficult LP is to get hold of...Anyone know?

It's not terribly rare, as a lot of people bought bottles and then thought it smelled like wintergreen (I sort of got that from the saffron when the oil was fresh, too). an post in the Wanted forum should turn up a response fairly quickly, I'd think. :D

I'm a new BPAL-er and I've never tried Snake Oil, but I'm already learning that I can't wear patchouli. It's all I can smell in any blend it's present in. So, do any of the Snake Pits hide the patchouli completely? So many of the other notes sound good, but the patchouli scares me...

Thanks!

I'm a new BPAL-er and I've never tried Snake Oil, but I'm already learning that I can't wear patchouli. It's all I can smell in any blend it's present in. So, do any of the Snake Pits hide the patchouli completely? So many of the other notes sound good, but the patchouli scares me...

Thanks!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get patchouli from Snake Oil at all....

That being said...I doubt you'd get patch from:

Western Diamondback

Temple Viper

King Cobra

(those are my 3 faves at the moment).

I'm sure others will have input though :P

Thanks!

I also detest patchouli, and there are only a couple of blends that contain it that I can wear. With Snake Oil (especially aged) I can't smell it at all.

As for what blends hide the deep, dark tone of Snake Oil the best, I'd say Green Tree Viper.

Edited by Delirium1009

I don't smell any patchouli in Snake Oil either - on me, whether it's fresh or aged, I get vanilla, spices and resins, all three of which become sweeter and deeper as it ages.

But anyway, the Snake Pit blends that kind of turn Snake Oil on its ear the most are Banded Sea Snake and Cottonmouth and if Beth told us there was patchouli in either one of those, I'd eat my proverbial hat. :P

Huh. I thought Snake Oil was generally considered to be patchouli-heavy. Must vary more than I realized. So many great recs -- I think I've decided on the Temple Viper, and I'm still debating Black Mamba (ok, not technically part of the Snake Pit). Not patchouli there, but jasmine :P ...prolly just have to risk it. Thanks for the great thread and tips -- and if anyone knows how to tell whether Snake Oil will go vanilla or spicy or patchouli I'd love to hear from you ... :D

Huh. I thought Snake Oil was generally considered to be patchouli-heavy. Must vary more than I realized. So many great recs -- I think I've decided on the Temple Viper, and I'm still debating Black Mamba (ok, not technically part of the Snake Pit). Not patchouli there, but jasmine :P ...prolly just have to risk it. Thanks for the great thread and tips -- and if anyone knows how to tell whether Snake Oil will go vanilla or spicy or patchouli I'd love to hear from you ... :D

It really depends on your chemistry about amping certain notes. I usually amp patchouli but like I said before, I can't pick it out in Snake Oil. I'd recommend picking up an imp with your next order just in case.

And the older it is, the smoother and richer it gets.

I just did a highly scientific study. :D I searched the Snake Oil review thread (664 reviews as of this posting) for the word "patchouli." I came up with a total of 84 reviewers who had included the word in their review of it.

What this means... anyone's guess :P But maybe Snake Oil doesn't smell as heavily of patchouli as you might fear. Since it's a GC scent and you can so easily get an imp (and easily swap it if you don't like it) you might want to put it on your list and find out definitively if it will turn to patchouli on you!

I thought I remembered this! From Beth a while back.

Of course, it all depends on your chemistry as to whether it'll be all "HEAR ME ROAR" on your skin, but according to the lady in charge, it's in there. From my experience, it's a fantastic slightly-earthy spiced vanilla, and if I didn't know the slight earthiness was patchouli, I'd never know. Y'know?

My Favorite Snakes

by Mamcat :D

1. King Cobra. Love the frankincense in it. I find it calming and sexy at the same time

2. Temple Viper. I can really smell the champaca in this one. It is so gorgeous and was my first Snake Pit love.

3. Boomslang. Sexy brownies.

4. Snake Oil - :P Sometimes I just crave it. It's such a magical blend for me. It took me a while to grow to love it but now I'll never be without it.

I don't smell any patchouli in Snake Oil either - on me, whether it's fresh or aged, I get vanilla, spices and resins, all three of which become sweeter and deeper as it ages.

But anyway, the Snake Pit blends that kind of turn Snake Oil on its ear the most are Banded Sea Snake and Cottonmouth and if Beth told us there was patchouli in either one of those, I'd eat my proverbial hat. :D

I have never, ever, smelled Snake Oil that smells sweet to me. I had an imp that was aged probably less than a year, but over six months, and it was still just all patchouli all the time. Then again, that was quite early on. I didn't know a thing about fragrance. But it definately smells like patchouli on my skin, and in the imp as well. The first time somebody complained about SO being too sweet, I was gobsmacked.

So, all that being said, I've really enjoyed all but two of the Snake Pit blends I've tried. I hated Saw-Scaled Viper, and really strongly disliked Cottonmouth. I'll do a rundown.

Australian Copperhead: The acai goes soapy on me, but it was still a great blend.

Asp Viper: Yummy almondy goodness. (Husband actively hated it due to allergies)

Banded Sea Snake: Nice, aquatic, but it wasn't something that I reached for often.

Boomslang: Fantastic. If you like foody at all, you should try this. It is deliciously gourmand.

Coral Snake: Another one that you should try- the notes really take it away from Snake Oil, to my memory. It had a great apple note.

Cottonmouth: Ugh. Unpleasant. No idea what did it, either.

Death Adder: When this one ages a few months, it is amazing. It is fairly heavy, though.

Green Tree Viper: It always amuses me that people absently call this one "Green Tea Viper" heh. Minty! I think I need a bottle of this one, really.

Habu: On my most wanted to try list.

King Cobra: Haven't tried it yet.

Saw-Scaled Viper: Yuckyuckyuck! Not good on me.

Temple Viper: Haven't tried it yet.

Western Diamondback: Along with Death Adder and Boomslang, this one completes the triumvirate of my most loved Snake Pit blends. I love the leather in it, though. It is sexy and perfect.

So, yeah. That's not so helpful. A lot of people have said that my three favourites are the Snake Oiliest of them all, but since I don't like SO.... I disagree. :P I'd recommend that you try Coral and Green Tree Viper, of the bunch. Really, just test the ones that appeal.

Habu is my favorite of them so far - followed closely by Temple Viper and Australian Copperhead =)

Snake Oil, I'm not that fond of by itself.

edit to add: I tried Banded Sea Snake and Cottonmouth =)

so I decided to also rank hehe

1. Habu (teh love)

2. Banded Sea Snake (lurve)

3. Cottonmouth (clean love)

4. Temple Viper (sugar love)

5. Aussie Copperhead (fruity love)

6. Boomslang (choc love, need to retest)

7. Asp Viper (almond love at first)

8. Death Adder (want to try)

10. Saw Scaled Viper (havent tried)

11. Black Mamba (havent tried)

12. Anaconda (who knows?)

13. Coral Snake (meh)

14. Green Tea Viper (no thanks)

15. Western Diamondback (didn't like)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Are there any Snakes where the spiciness in the original Snake Oil isn't as noticeable? It's what made me hate Snake Oil; I'm hoping for a creamier vanilla.

MY LOVES:

Boomslang- especially aged. This is my very most favorite of the Snake Pit blends, and I wish it never had to go away.

Western Diamondback - My fiance loves this scent on me, which is funny, because I thought it smelled more masculine than what I usually wear (which doesn't diminish my appreciation one bit!)

Death Adder- The only vetiver blend that's ever worked on me. It's delicious. And I love opoponax.

Temple Viper- Because I'm a sucker for champaca. This is what I'm wearing right now, actually.

Are there any Snakes where the spiciness in the original Snake Oil isn't as noticeable? It's what made me hate Snake Oil; I'm hoping for a creamier vanilla.

Try Green Tree Viper, especially if you like mint. I too wanted Snake Oil to be more creamy/vanilla, and GTV is the only blend where I actually like the addition of Snake Oil. The mint sort of mitigates and calms the other stuff in Snake Oil, but picks up a creamy niceness.

"A creamy niceness?" That sounds ridiculous. I should probably go to bed.

honestly, anaconda is the best snake oil blend i've tried. it's so sweet and yummy, i would buy several bottles if i could.

coral snake if my favourite from the pit (well, next to anaconda) followed by australian copperhead and, of all things, boomslang (i tend to dislike chocolate notes).

i can barely detect the snake oil-ness in australian copperhead. it's just doesn't have that tang to me. all of the rest of the pit i can detect it at least a little but not in australian copperhead.

all that said: i was never terribly fond of snake oil. it smells good but reacts to my skin and burns for a little while. plus, it's so strong i get a headache. but i really like all of the snake pit blends. i've actually contemplated ordering another full pit before they come down.

So far, I'm leaning towards:

Boomslang

Death Adder

Saw-Scaled Viper

Temple Viper

'Course, I'd probably be open to most of the other snakes in the pit. Unfortunately. :P

Despite the fact that Snake Oil doesn't work at all on me, I have some snakey favorites -- the ones you just listed, in fact, with the addition of Habu (I *adore* the bamboo note) and Asp Viper (it smells like a smoother, richer Queen of Sheba to me; almonds and spice).

My suggestion is Boomslang, though. In the (unlikely) event that you hate it, it's very easy to find a new home for it, moreso than for many of the others. Once the carnaval leaves town, I expect Boomslang will be on the track to becoming like Snake Charmer as far as "things you should have tried while they were around and affordable." :D

I really didn't get any spiciness in Death Adder, Coral Snake, Or Green Tree Viper.

I like almost all of them, but my favs are Cottonmouth and Temple Viper, with Coral and Saw-Scaled being right behind them. I love Green Tree Viper fresh but it doesn't age nicely for my skin. :P