Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of nobility, brutality and true Will made flesh and propelled through the eons by an ever-burning hatred: black patchouli, neroli, tonka, cinnamon, bitter clove, leather, black musk, coffin wood and fiery ginger.

I get predominantly clove and musk with a hint of leather. Nice, spicy, and it it wasn't so difficult, maybe I'd try to score a decant.

I really wish this was True Will Made Flesh. It sounds like a great concept. This smell isn't quite so... nefarious. It's actually fairly laid back.

I'd think nice guy before I thought of someone so... driven.

I mostly get ginger, leather and clove, both wet in the bottle and dry on my skin. Not what I would expect for the granddaddy of all vamps.

This has a better throw than some others and lasts longer. Much more masculine than I ever expected to wear, though. But I really like it. It's just barely dark without being too overwhelming or sharp or spicy.

Wet: Musk and sharp resin?

First on: It oddly smells like licorice. O_o;

Dry: On drydown, it's decidedly too masculine for me.

leather, wood and patchouli...i really like this. it's dark, sexy and mysterious.

maybe a touch masculine..but i think it's nice on women as well.

Leather and cloves. There's a hint of woods beneath, and I'm not getting much ginger here. I think the tonka might be sweetening and smoothing this out, and the black musk here is gorgeous. Now, I would give this perfect marks, had I not tried Velvet Bandito before the Count. For a dark and sexy clove, I much prefer the Bandito. But the Count is not bad in the least!

I can't believe I potentially [stole the bottle from my husband and] sold Count Dracula!

Out of all the Order of the Dragon scents, this is the only one that was kept. It has sat on my husband's shelf since 2006 and I finally got him to use it this past Sunday in honor of Vampire-Con hehe (I, however, didn't have a vampire scent to wear, so I choose Red Rose which complemented this scent SO well; must have been the clove).

As such, this is a review from what I smelled on my husband; firstly, the throw on this was HUGE. He is not a slatherer like me, but the minute he put this one on I could smell it all the way across the house. And it followed him wherever he went.. I think I was tailing him and drooling as a matter of fact :P

The leather and cloves were most dominant and since those are his two favorite notes, I'm betting this will play a close second to Western Diamondback with the most wear time. This has only gotten better with age! I told him that if he thought Spanked was slightly too girly, that Count Dracula was a manned-up version of it. The black musk is not as present as, say, Haunted, but it really ties the leather, clove, and patchouli together nicely.

Sadly, we have but this one bottle. :cry2:

Oh man, I'm in love! Even the oil by itself smells amazing :) On my skin it's pretty subtle for a list of strong ingredients, but it's very sexy and powerful. Lots of pathcouli and spice. A new favorite!

Oh, my! :thud: This blend is AMAZING!

On the skin: There is something in here that is also in Osiris v4..... Something smooth and woodsyish. This blend to my nose is gorgeous and drop dead sexy! Would be perfect on my SO (I hope!)

I have been in love with this blend since first I sniffed it at the Bay Area Meet 'n Sniff last year. I was very graciously able to swap for an imp of this... I am forever thankful.

In the vial: Oh, hai sexeh. Spice and wood. Yum.

Wet: Oh there is the leather. Mmm, clove like in Hell Gate of Ireland, and ginger, along with what has to be the coffin wood. Its a little bit piney.

Dry: This is amazing. Very subtle and yet rich at the same time. Nothing is overpowering the other notes, it is all working in harmony. Dark, sexy, harmony.

Overall: Lust. I can't pull my nose away from my arm. THANK YOU RALENTH!

When I first tried Count Dracula a few years ago, I found it way too sharp and heavy for my liking. I decided to try it again a few months ago and it was instant love. I was amazed how wonderfully it had aged, I didn't get any sharpness this time, everything had smoothed out and blended beautifully.

I get a well-blended, softly spicy blend of cinammon, clove, ginger (the spices smell slightly foody to my nose), an almost citrusy edge from the neroli, soft leather and patchouli with a background of woods and a hint of black musk. Everything is smooth and soft, I don't get anything sharp this time. This is aging wonderfully and it's truly one of my favorite masculine leather scents. :wub2:

Origin:

5mL from the Lab (eBay). :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

This is one of those scents that managed to stay under my radar for quite a while until I saw a bottle for sale and randomly decided to read the reviews. I'm not sure how it is that this one didn't jump out at me, since most of the notes here are either ones I love or ones I like. The only things that have me worried are the neroli (I hate neroli if it's strong enough to stand out in a scent) and the ginger (I like the ginger you find in gingerbread scents, but not any of the other incarnations).

I have to admit that Sarada's description of Count Dracula as "the scent of a burning clove cigarette in a bondage club" spurred me into trying to win the auction for this one. That description gets me excited in all sorts of indecent ways. :lol:

First sniff:

Obviously, this is an aged bottle at this point. I'm not sure what it smelled like when it was fresh.

Straight out of the bottle, I get a blast of spices. Cinnamon, clove, ginger (which smells more like the type you find in baked goods than the ginger in White Rabbit or Mother Ginger). It's spicy, but there's more to it than that. There's a muskiness and a hint of leather lurking behind those almost-foody spices.

Wet on skin:

Still mainly spices with a hint of leather and musk. There's a hint of bitterness here from the clove, but it's faint. I don't get any neroli (yay!), here.

Dry down:

Mmm, I can see where Sarada gets the clove cigarettes/bondage club thing. The clove and other spices are still the strongest players, but there's a definite black leather in here. It smells dark and sexy. I wouldn't pick out patchouli if I didn't know it was in here, but it's there, adding a soft mustiness to the scent that I really like.

The bottom line:

This is beautiful. I'm really glad I ended up winning this one. Hopefully my one bottle will be enough because I gather this is hard to find.

I mostly get clove and wood notes with this one--but the other notes play into it just enough that this is one of those scents that I wouldn't change a thing in--I spent a bit of time tracking down a bottle after snagging a decant, and it's one I wear only for special occasions (because I don't want to use it up any faster than I have to!). It tends towards the masculine (as in, would love to slather a gorgeous guy in this scent), but I find it wears gorgeously on me, as well.

One of my top 5 scents, for sure.

In the vial: Cinnamon, ginger and wood. A very brown scent.

On: I'm testing from a sniffie and the blend is older, so my experience may not be representative, but this is mostly brown, angry, somewhat peppery spices on me. There does seem to be a backdrop of woods, but they're not strong. Honestly, I could imagine a vampire smelling like this, because it makes me think of something undead in a dusty coffin. Also, I'm surprised the cinnamon hasn't gone all Big Red on me yet.

Later: Slightly stale spices. I don't know, it's not something I'd wear regularly.

2006 was my first year of discovering BPAL, and I was still newb enough to think that I would stick to GC's and not purchase LE's. When the Order of the Dragon scents appeared, it took all of my willpower not to purchase any, and I didn't understand decant circles yet, so I missed them all. (stoopid, I know, and I got over it) At the time, Count Dracula would have been the first one I ordered, so imagine my dismay when I finally came to my senses about LE's and Halloweenies in particular, and this one was such a hard to find scent.

I finally purchased a bottle from a lovely forumite, and behold the wonder of Count Dracula! :wub2: I understand the love. It's not too masculine for me to wear. This is a softly spiced clove and incense scent, in some ways it reminds me of a softer Mort de Cesar. But the BIG NEWS is that this is the one and only scent I have ever found with leather that I can wear! :joy:

This is ASTOUNDING. On first application I got cinnamon and ginger, and then the clove and coffin wood came in. YUM. The spice is beginning to burn off, and the black musk is drifting in and adding a lazy sweetness to the blend. I'm so glad I grabbed a decant from eBay, and though it might take me a while to track down a bottle, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to do that.

Jeebus, I LOVE this. /huffs arm and faints

Oh my. I had a chance to try this scent about eight years ago, and remember really liking it back then. So when I got a chance to swap for half of a bottle I jumped for it. I was a little bit worried about how this may have aged, but my worries were completely unfounded. This. Is. Amazing. I think it is even better than I remember it. This is peppery leather that is drenched in spices (Clove! Cinnamon! Ginger! Oh my!) with a woodsy backdrop that brings it all together perfectly. This has pretty much got to the the perfect scent for a man. I normally will not wear any masculine blends whatsoever, but I would make an exception for this. If I were a man, I would wear this almost every day. I really, really hope this one gets resurrected!

In the Imp: Very dark! A little acrid, almost rosy, something pleasantly chemical, as if gasoline could smell nice? A little worrisome. Here goes nothing.

Wet: NO! So beautiful! Count Dracula blooms and morphs and spreads his wings as soon as he hits your skin. Pine notes and leather and dark, dark bitter clove. Painfully pretty. There's something heavy and romantic and floral- more like a dark dried floral rather than a fresh or green note. A dead bouquet of piercing, poignant memory. This is all purple, red, brown, black. I love it.

Dry: Woody now. Sandalwood? The rosy warm note makes it's return. Dangerously christmasy at times but I can deal, oohh how I can deal for the sake of this velvety, enveloping comfort. He goes darker and darker the longer I wear him- is this a patchouli I can wear? Blasphemy- I smell no hippy head shop- Normally patchouli is the bane of my life. Count Dracula is supremely warm and comforting, almost painfully so. It's very gently spiced, and luscious in it's dark masculine qualities, and very well balanced. I want a bottle of this so badly, and it kills me that this half full little decant may be all I will ever have. I need to hunt down a bottle- he's too Beautiful to not have. I am floored by this- it's certainly my 2nd favorite so far, and I am afraid I won't be able to hunt him down and keep him. I thought I had to try this out of curiosity, because I usually must have everything Dracula- and I hadn't expected to like it so much. Maybe the community can recommend a poor substitute... I will mourn him when he's gone. How is that any different from how He's ever been?

Edited by DoktorDandy

Count Dracula was my very first BPAL scent, and it remains my very favorite. I ramp the ginger and wood scents pretty well, I throw it pretty strongly, and the sense memories it invokes are sublime.

I am *always* on the lookout for C.D.; just snagged a partial bottle from a real sweetheart of a guy in Canada.

Wet: Oooh, that's nice. I was expecting a lot of clove, but this is actually more about the ginger on me. It's backed by something rich and sweet that reminds me of warm amber. The leather and wood are very subtle, and the whole thing is very well blended. Not sure if I love it. But I do like it so far.

Dry: Ginger, hints of clove and leather. It's not wowing me at all, which is sad, I had such high hopes, as so many speak so highly of this. I will likely need to let it go to another home, as I don't love it enough to keep it away from others who would love it.

All good stuff in here -- musky cinnamon and leather, cozy, sexy, yum. Then it disappeared. I put on some unscented lotion and tried again, and this time it stuck around a lot longer, but definitely as a skin scent. I like Count Dracula a lot and was delighted to get to test it, but I have other scents that check these boxes for me, so I will probably let this go to someone else who wants to try it.