Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Black Moon

The absence of light: motia attar, black orchid, mugwort, English pear, cucumber, blue lotus, jonquil, massoia, calamus and crystal musk.

Schwartzer Mond has NOTHING over this treasure!! Black Moon is all the things a treasured perfume blend should be. Sexy, distinct, evocative, and addictive. The notes are so well blended from each of it's phases, that I experiance no 'akward' transisitions. This is by far my favorite Lunacy. :P I have stock piled Black Moon, and have found it to be layerable with other beloved scents such as O.

Black Moon - This is what I was hoping Blue Moon would be! It’s deep and heavy, yet has a bright and playful aspect to it. Whenever I wear this scent, I get the mental image of a dark and brooding poet who skips down the sidewalk when he thinks no one is looking. I don’t know what some of the notes in the scent description smell like on their own, so I can’t review the individual notes well at all. I do smell a touch of cucumber, but it’s not a watery cucumber scent like Blue Moon is. The pear is definitely present, but combines so well with the other notes that it’s not nearly as bright and crisp as pear usually is, but it still lends the blend a “upbeat” quality, keeping it from becoming too heavy. I am totally digging the orchid in this blend, and I'm simply blown away that the jasmine, which normally amps up on my skin, is completely undetectable in this. The notes blend amazingly well and it's really hard to distinguish any single one from the others. It's just such a superb combination of scents! Black Moon is strong, yet feminine and deep and dark, yet a bit frisky. I adore it. It’s one of those scents that I have found is absolutely perfect whenever I can’t figure out what type of scent I want to wear that day. It always suits my mood. The staying power is like WHOA!!! (especially for a lunar oil, most of which fade on me quickly), although it only has a moderate level of sillage.

This is the pitch dark moon that should not work on me, but it does...dark creeping florals, rich and lovely...Black Moon is the perfect black crystalline shot of dark moonlight on a forest pond...I honestly cannot even begin to put it into words in any other way. Except to note that even if you think you hate florals, this beauty is worth a try, because she is something so much more.

First Impression: Patchouli and musk.

Dries down to: A very faint hint of night blooms emerges.

Additional Comments: I was wrong about the patchouli; it's actually jasmine. (I don't know why but I always confuse the two, even though I know better.) It's dark yet fresh and lovely. Definitely not for the daylight hours.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I ordered the "other" moon, Brian's creation, sure I would like it. And it was ok, but not a keeper.

I was sure I wouldn't like this moon--all those florals? :P

But the last two reviews convinced me it might be worth trying. I don't usually like florals, but I do like jasmine, so who knows?

So I swapped for an imp. And I like it. Not enough to hunt down a bottle, but I do like it.

In the imp it is pure sweet floral. What I smell most is jasmine, of course, but it is a softer type of jasmine than some of the other blends I like. I also get a soft pear, which is a note I'm discovering I'm fond of. (See, even after 2+ years, BPAL can surprise me). It's a heady, intoxicating floral that I find quite enjoyable.

After a couple of hours, I do get just a hint of cucumber. I'm not crazy about cucumber as a note (I may be the only person who disliked Blue Moon), so I'm glad it is not too heavy. I also get a soft skin musk, which I'm also not crazy about. (i like my musks heavy and robust).

So the verdict is I like it at first, less as it lingers. It does last quite awhile, though the throw is not strong.

In the early stages, it reminds me a bit of Ava Luxe's Venus Sands, but I like Venus Sands better, so I guess I don't need more of this.

At first whiff from the bottle and on my skin it is like "HELLO LOTUS!!!"

THe lotus is very strong, but it reminds me of something my mum used to wear.

Everyone is noting how floral this is, and I love florals...but this smells more like how I'd imagine a warm, golden sunset to smell (if it had a scent, LOL)...not like a bunch of fleurs.

After a few hours, I get lotus, jonquil, and a very faint hint of jasmine and sandalwood (motia attar, I presume). The lotus is still pretty dominant on me, but instead of smelling light and floral it takes on a darker, heavier and richer quality when mixed with everything else. Lovely scent, indeed!

In vial: musk, orchid, and pear leap out immediately

On skin: At first, I got a lot of pear; very juicy and nice! But my chemistry amps orchid, and this blend is no exception. Already it's taking over.

Dry: The orchid has completely overrun every other scent and turned this into a cloying mess. Alas, this will have to go up for swaps.

Edited by phedre

The comparasions between this and blue moon made me almost leap for this beauty when I knew it was being offered. I haven't actually tried blue moon per say but sniffed it briefly during a meet 'n sniff and from what I remember, blue moon is a bit sweeter while black moon is a tad darker. The pear and the cucumber play off my skin at first with the florals keeping the fruit from smelling so sickly sweet. The fruit also keeps the flowers from getting soapy like they tend to do at times upon my skin. The other notes don't tend to jump out as much as the others so it's hard to tell at times what I'm smelling but it sure is a unique and wonderful addition to the bpal line.

In the bottle:

Orchid is the first thing I smell

On me:

Watery is definitely the first thing that comes to mind when this hits my skin. Blue-green and watery. At first the blue lotus is right in the front and it's just beautiful and smooth. Like crystal clear, perfectly still water. But that cucumber and pear kicks in pretty quickly and makes this more fruity than aquatic and the musk keeps this smooth and a little warmer.

It all blends together beautifully - definitely a girly blend in my opinion. Makes me think of a lot of the Victoria Secret blends because it has that sort of girly bedroom vibe going on (not that it smells like a Victoria Secret blend in particular, just makes me think of it). It's not too fruity, not too aquatic, not too floral - it's a beautifully done blend.

Final note:

Simply gorgeous. If you like subtle fruity florals this is probably right up your alley!

Edited by Brianne

omg i never ordered this because i wasn't sure of that pear/cucumber combo. i tried it at a friend's last night and :P

this was truly a surprise and i LOVE it! i think i sense the black orchid and crystal musk. not much else i can pick out, because this is a very good blend. it isnt as sweet as it sounds and is dark and floral and really beautiful. now to hunt down a bottle.

at first: dark, floral, and smooth. lovely.

on: lush, powdery, sweet orchid.

2 hours later: wonderful orchid. i love orchid.

5 hours later: there's a bit of sweet, fruity lotus poking through now.

overall: i didn't catch all of the notes (cucumber and pear, where are you?), but anything with orchid and lotus are cool with me. a winner!

Not so random imp of the day is ... Black Moon!

In the imp (which is now sitting back in the box), it's floral, kind of perfumey, but dark.

It's quite strong while wet, definitely something there that makes me think jonquils, as well as lotus - it's ... sweet! Not sure what orchids are like, but the pear is there ... not sure if I can say that cucumber was present though.

Once dry, the musk seems to round out the structure of this scent. It's still quite strong when dry, I'm not sure if I like it so strong! I'll see how I go wearing this for the rest of the day...

Black moon. In the bottle, it smells like hospital, which is a shame. I was hoping for dark florals, but all I can smell is clean, cold disinfectant. My mother, on the other hand, smells fruits and delicious florals.

In the bottle: Very thick, woody pear.

Wet: Fresh pear and some light florals I can't quite place. There's something nearly minty, too.

Drydown: I get a scent like dill, which is the cucumber note, I think. It's a bit vinegary, too. I still get the pear very strongly, it's a thick scent, pretty invasive. I don't really get beyond that very tart pear scent. There's something floral and very perfumy in there too, I think it's the motia attar because it reminds me a lot of sandalwood, and it adds to this tartness.

Overall: A very sharp, acidic blend, with strong fruity pear and probably sandalwood that completely dominate the blend. It's very perfumey, something that I've smelled on older women, a bit heavy and invasive. Really not my type, and to me it evokes brightness rather than night.

In the bottle: A sweet hint of pear, something a little perfumey (jasmine?), and the faintest touch of dustiness I always seem to get from orchid notes.

On wet: Peaceful, soft, watery - a lovely, mild scent so far.

Drydown: Still soft and sweet, but with a more pronounced perfumey edge. I'm able to smell the fruit (or perhaps it's the lotus?), what I'm thinking is the mottia attar, and the crystal musk underneath. No distinct hint of cucumber (though I believe it's contributing to that watery vibe), the orchid is either gone or smothered under the other florals, and I'm not familiar enough with the other listed notes to be able to pick them out specifically.

Overall: When I closed my eyes to dissect this blend, I was immediately assaulted by some of the most vivid images any BPAL blend has evoked to date:

An ornate outdoor bathing grotto filled with cool water, generous handfuls of fragrant, exotic flower petals floating on its surface, a mild breeze - faintly scented with the sweetness of recent rain and growing things - raising gooseflesh when it brushes up against naked skin, a blue-black sky overhead. I can envision a fey queen or nature-loving goddess bathing here, floating on her back, eyes closed, long hair fanning out behind her, soothed by her surroundings, completely at peace...

I honestly didn't think I'd like this scent - too many floral notes, too much potential for aquatic mayhem (I can't seem to pull off watery schtuff), and while pear/cucumber-type scents are pleasing, I don't often find myself reaching for them - not with so many spicy/creamy/sexy combinations available. Now that I've actually *tried* it, though (instead of just sniffing the bottle's contents, promising to try it soon, then passing it over in favour of something else), I can't believe how incredibly pretty it is. Pretty AND wearable! It's got this softness to it that sort of mutes all the potentially louder components - almost as if each note went blurry at the edges and was bleeding into one another - like a watercolour painting.

An evening, special occasion, or spring/early summer fragrance (for me, anyway), and an impressive 4.5/5. Gorgeous. :P

Unlike theseagrows, I decided to take a chance on it because of the cucumber/pear combination.

Unfortunately for me, it's a very musky sort of floral. And yes, dark and brooding do come to mind. Florals underneath the presence of a new moon sort of feeling.

On the drydown, it's more musky and less floral. Part of me wants to associate it with sandalwood and patchouli, since it gives me the same sort of vibe.

Verdict: Darkly beautiful. Yet more musky than floral. I'm not the type that wholly appreciates this dark lovely so off to swap it goes.

BlackMoonSS-1.jpg

In the imp: cool florals joined by what seems to my nose to be a lovely melon note, which must either be the cucumber or pear, or I guess it could be the way the whole blend reacts to my body chemistry. :)

Wet on skin: settles down to cool floral with a slight fruit note, but mostly floral, and still lovely. It makes me a little pensive, a bit meditative -- I'm remembering old relationships, and shoulda-coulda-woulda's. :D

Dry: a bit powdery on the drydown at first, but surprisingly the fruit/melon note is stronger now than when wet. I am so loving this, it's cool and calming, and will make me sleep, I think. I tried this on while still sitting up this time, rather than as I retire for the night. I wanted to see it through to drydown this time. And it was worth it! :D

Verdict: I love this, and do not regret buying a bottle sight-unsmelled, heh. :P

Edited by stellans

Okay, I bought this scent mainly because of the CUCUMBER in it.

I was hoping for it to be one of the prominent notes in this scent. But I get no sign of it.

Infact, when I opened the bottle up and sniffed it, I would have sworn there was coconut in it. Is my nose broken? LOL

Anyhow, I dabbed a bit on my skin. Sniffed.

Coconut.

Waited 10 minutes, sniffed again.....

Coconut. :P

BUT as much as I usually hate the smell of coconut, this isn't the usual pungent sweetness of it....it's light and I really do like it!

It's NOTHING like I expected it to be, but honestly, I'm really pleased with this one!!

I got to try Black Moon at Cielamara's--I actually have the t-shirt on order b/c I just like the artwork so much, but it might be a little odd to wear it without having even *tried* the perfume! :P Initially, I would have sworn it contained gardenia, but that isn't listed, so perhaps I mistook the orchid. It reminded me of a softer, "clearer" Lady of Shallott, actually--floral topnotes with fresh, clean basenotes of musk rather than aquatic. Very pretty.

I soooo love this scent. It's just beautiful.

In bottle: I get lots of cucumber and pear. It's so light. Absolutely heavenly.

Wet: I still get alot of cucumber and something else. I think it;s the lotus and orchid. It's very nice.

Dry: Unfortunately I seem to have lost the cucumber, but I still get the orchid and lotus. I think I still smell some of the pear as well, but it's very soft. I really like this it's a very pleasent, light scent. It's a definite keeper.

Musk and flowers with some of the clarity I’d expect from the cucumber and pear showing up once it starts to dry. Very pleasant and I'll definitely enjoy my imp (and wouldn't object to another if it shows up but probably won't go hunting.)

Black Moon is gorgeous-the first scent I smell is orchid and lotus first and spicy musk next. This is exactly my favorite type of BPAL oils!! :P This is a wildly exotic oil that reminds me of a tropical island with beautiful birds and tall shady trees. As it dries down, I can smell a little fruitiness there too. Overall, I am so glad that I was able to get this from another forumite. It is now in my top ten favorites list. :D

I bought Black Moon on a whim, and I'm so glad I did.

The scent doesn't morph at all on my skin. It smells the same four hours later as it did the second I put it on. I can smell the orchid and musk, and something that's kind of resinous. I'm not sure exactly what gives it that deep, calming scent -- honestly, I don't know over half of the scents in this -- but it's very soothing, and I'm definitely going to use this as a bedtime oil.

Once again, I do my research, and hope I'm not lying to you when I tell you what's what. Motia is more usually called palmarosa, and is a species of lemongrass. Jonquil is a species of narcissus, whose smell may be familiar to you already, as daffodils are a narcissus as well. Massoia is derived from the bark of an Indoneisan laurel, and is described as having a creamy or buttery coconut smell with undertones of fruit. Calamus, also called sweet flag, is a kind of fleshy rush whose leaves and rootstock yield a sweet-smelling, possibly lemon-scented oil.

This, when I smell it, does not smell dark to me at all. It's subtle and quiet, but not dark. And it's a very, very professional blend. The notes are quite difficult to distinguish. I definitely smell the pear and cucumber. The florals are cool and pale and fleshy. I also detect a creamy, thick note with a hint of nuttiness, which must be the massoia; I like that very much.

This is cool and white, delicate. It goes on with the jonquil and orchid in the front, very light and pure. It has a distinctly herbal undertone, though not particularly lemony, which is kept from being too dry by the cucumber and the pear. The musk, likewise, is very light and delicate, almost grey. It's the musk I associate with Dorian; barely there at all.

If this is a moonless night, it is a moonless night made brilliant by a hundred thousand stars. It has a secretive, luminous quality, like foxfire, it is subtle and witchy.

I don't like fleshy white florals, they smell of pickles all too often, but this manages not to go sour (though it is a very near thing). It has a subtlety that most florals lack on me, and I encourage anyone looking for a "different" sort of floral to investigate the mysteries of Black Moon. Despite everyone's crooning over sibling Schwarzer Mond's lusty savagery, it is Black Moon that wins on me. For what it is, it is flawless.

This is what is called a morpher. On me, anyway.

Bottle: Perfume that's had a pair of rotting feet soaking in it. O_o Wait, why's everyone so keen on this?

Wet: Moldy bread/wet feet with perfume.

Drydown: Boiled vegetables with spring florals.

Dry: Mildly soapy florals. Very pretty, very fine, with a hint of sweetness. (The pear, perhaps?) All the notes are jumbled, and nothing really stands out...except that hint of wet bread again.

My rating: 3/5. It's pretty, certainly, but only at the end. It's rather hard to stomach the bottle and wet scents, however briefly. I like weird scents well enough, but this is just not a fun experience for the end result. Debating whether to keep or swap.