Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis.

Regan is a soft, sweet floral that's very wispy and delicate. For some reason, it smelled very bridal to me. I would have liked this one a lot if it had been stronger. There is also a weird plastic undertone to it that prevents Regan from becoming a favorite of mine. I would have loved this one when I was younger, and I think it would be very appropriate for a little girl to wear. I'm glad I tried this one, I might have to test it again later and see if it gets better. For some reason, Regan draws me in, even though it's not really good on me.

3/5

Edit

I reviewed the wrong blend :P :D

I can smell the resemblance to Tiger Lily, but this is creamier, sweeter. It is nice, but it makes me feel a bit queasy, like Tiger Lily! I won't be buying a bottle, but I am very glad I got to try it!

Edited by violetflower

Imp: Sweet flowers with something just a little bit twisted and bitter. Stephano-whatsis, I guess?

Wet: Oh yeah, that's definitely orchid. I don't get much vanilla (thank goodness!) but it's there in a very small amount, under the surface. It doesn't smell like vanilla, it smells like creamy flowers.

Drydown: Sweet and velvety without being overpowering. I like! I never would have tried this on my own, but will definitely keep the Lab frimp.

ETA: I got ANOTHER frimp of this, and I like it even more now. A vanilla I can handle? What a lovely surprise!

Edited by starwild

Bottle: Sweet orchid

Wet: Sweet orchid and vanilla.

Drydown: This blend makes me happy, I love finding florals I can actually wear! Yay!

3.0 outta 5

I love this one! On it is a creamy powdery vanilla that is very delicate and beautiful. I wouldn't wear it everyday but if I wanted to feel super feminine this is the one I would reach for. This would be perfect for a wedding.

Sniffed only, no skin test: sweet, piercing, candy-grapy orchid with a slight cool, hollow note to it. A bit soapy, quite strong. No vanilla, strangely, but if I had tried it on skin it would probably have come out!

I recieved this as a freebee from the lab-- not being a Shakespeare fan, I wasn't even aware of this one prior to getting my imp.

In the Bottle

Smells like oozy, warm chocolate with a hint of vanilla. Yum!

On Me

Oh, man, this is nice. I can't believe I'm enjoying this so much-- usually chocolate smells in perfume go revolting on me and make me think of ipecac syrup and Theirry Muegler's Angel-- this, however, smells a lot more natural, and a lot less sugary. Instead, we have florals (there's lily in there of some description, as well as a strong, real-smelling vanilla) making up for the sugariness, and the effect on me is warm, edible and just scrumptious.

Don't laugh, but it vaguely reminds me of... the chocolate on the CyberSniff 3000 card that came with my copy of Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail when I bought it. Which equates to, "Chocolate but not really."

The throw's pretty good, too, and I'm wanting a bottle now.

in vial:floral sweet and sour

wet: wonderful vanilla with a bit of powdery floral.

later: the blend of these notes has turned into the scent of a vanilla baby powder. While I love the vanilla, I am not a fan of the other.

It's so sweet going on I think I'm going to love it. And then...flower powder. And what I assume is stephanotis..that I like. Too bad vanilla orchid does not like me.

Sweet vanilla floral. So pretty .... and then the drydown goes powdery. But it's so pretty that I can tolerate the powder development. The throw is moderate and I think I really like it the best either at first application or hours later when it's reduced to just the faintest sweet orchid.

Sniffed in imp: Slightly sweet, natural vanilla and flowers. Heavy on the orchid.

In general, I have TERRIBLE luck with florals... I'm always amping something. Regan is different. Its a warm vanilla floral, but everything is balanced. I like it a lot and I'll be hanging on to my imp.

Ooo, this smells sooo pretty in the imp! I don't know what stephanotis is, but I just smell beautiful sweet orchid.

Gahhhhhh no, this is terrible on my skin.

Wait. Ok, there was just this really weird yucky note when I first put it on, that seems to have already faded. This is definitely more than just vanilla orchid scent.

Wow, yeah, after that first initial blast of weirdness, this is REALLY nice! It dries down beautifully! The full drydown scent is absolutely divine.

Yep. Wow, that's all I can really say. Sweet vanilla orchid perfection! Need a bottle of this for sure! That two seconds of weirdness is totally worth it.

Wet in imp:

sweet floral

Wet on skin:

powdery floral

Drydown:

a pretty, soft floral - it fades to smelling like a clean baby in a flower garden

Final impression:

gentle, soft floral with baby powder and a touch of vanilla

Bottle: In the bottle Regan is a soft soapy floral. It doesn't actually smell like Ivory liquid hand soap, but it has an aftersmell of it. If that makes sense. It smells very, very clean.

Wet: Unfortunately for me, it immediately goes sour, and smells kind of like I dumped some of my reviled Jezabel into a vanilla body wash or something.

Dry: That's the ticket. the sourness either disapates or adapts to my skin leaving a soft vanilla floral. This is a very adult vanilla, but not in the wink-wink nudge-nudge sense. It's feminine and soft with a little hint of edge and allure. It's not sleazy but it's not innocent, either.

Throw: Moderate. Definitely a scent you have to get close up and personal to fully appreciate.

Overall: Lovely and unusual. It's very comforting and the type of scent that I feel comfortable wearing anywhere. It smells beautiful and I wouldn't be embarrassed to tell my grandmother's bridge partner the name.

Nilla! My first impression was that it's not the best vanilla scent I'd come across, but it's sweet and pleasant, so I was considering leaving it to age for a while and then coming back to it. However, after it had dried down properly, I discovered that it had really blossomed :P

It turns into a seriously gorgeous, slightly floral, very sweet, vanilla, with a decent throw. :D

I find that if I don’t like a scent my reviews tend to be rather short ;D that being said…

Regan started off smelling like super strong spices with just a touch of vanilla, I really didn’t care much for the beginning of it as it was just a big mishmash of stuff.

I did leave it on though and several hours later it cooled down to a nice vanilla with a touch of spice, still not something I am in love with

A frimp from the lab. I can see why, it’s close to others that I ordered, not to mention that there’s a lot of the Illyria collection.

In the bottle- Vanilla and something else. I can’t quite put my finger on it, it could be the orchid or the stephanotis. It’s like a musky flower, a bit dragon’s blood, but more acrid. Interesting.

On me, the orchid (at least I think it’s the orchid) comes out pretty strong, and the vanilla almost immediately takes a backseat. The vanilla adds sweetness to the mix. There’s an a strangeness underneath all of it though, like a sort of acid rottenness. I hate to say it, but it’s almost a Honey Bucket sort of smell. It’s probably just me though. I can see how it smells great on a lot of people but this one isn’t my taste. Which, I can’t say that I mind all that much. King Lear is one of my favorite Shakespearian plays, and I have strong feelings about all the sisters. Goneril is my favorite. Cordelia is WAY too “perfect princess” for my liking. Regan…well, Regan is the middle child. She’s sneaky and two-faced. She follows Goneril’s lead and she follows her husband’s lead, until she’s sure that she can come out ahead of everyone else, and only then does she make an effort to grab control. I saw a production once that turned me around to Regan’s possibilities on stage, and how her scenes are probably more interesting than Goneril’s, but I can’t help but prefer Goneril. The point is, this scent reminds me of how I think of Regan. Which means, it’s a no.

um i can't believe i haven't reviewed this! regan was one of my earliest bpal loves. it's a soft, not too sweet orchid mixed with vanilla which softens it and makes it a bit powdery. the stephanotis adds a nice sweet powderiness as well. i love this scent, it's comforting and beautiful at the same time.

Edited by theseagrows

Whoa. This stuff is strrrrroooonnnggg. I had a hard time getting any orchid out of it, but I did get creamy vanilla and the undertone of stephanotis (which, I'll be honest, smells like some kind of poison).

Smells gross, like plastic. Real vanilla orchids do not smell like this. Oh well.

Edited by thelaurenator

Wet: this is SO sweet it's like candy! Deliciously vanilla-y. As it dries it morphs from a vanilla floral to a floral vanilla--the orchid comes out more, and, mercifully, is not turning to powder or soap on me. This is beautiful! It's very sweet and girly. This is a keeper.

Frimp. It was nice in the imp - a vaguely floral, vaguely vanilla mix - but unfortunately, it smells a bit like a scented plastic doll on my skin. I'm going to stuff it away to try in a few more weeks...

In the Bottle

Smells incredible! It’s a sweet scent that’s very well blended, it’s difficult for me to pick out any particular notes.

On My Skin

YUM! I really enjoy the way this smells, hopefully it will stay just like this. A light floral with a touch of something sweet.

After a Bit

About an hour in it went through a really intense floral stage but then mellowed into a delicate beautiful scent. This is good stuff.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 3.5 Throw – 3 Longevity – 4

Over all – 3.5

Final Thoughts

I love that this smells 'delicate' to me. I’d like to pick up a bottle of this in the future, but since it’s GC and all my money will probably be tied up in the CD for the next little bit it will just have to wait.

In bottle/imp: Plastic-y vanilla with a background of light spice and floral notes.

Immediately on skin: This is a very plastic scent on my skin, which is definitely the work of the vanilla orchid. Behind that plastic floral vanilla is a very fragrant, sweet, smoky floral that smells a little like jasmine but is sweeter.

After a little while: This is just not very nice on me… it’s still mainly a plastic vanilla scent with a background of fragrant sweet flowers. I’d say this is more of a floral vanilla than foodie vanilla scent.

Overall Impressions: Plastic vanilla… darnit. The same happened to me with Opuhi so I’m sure the vanilla orchid was the culprit. Underneath that plastic scent is pretty nice actually… soft, sweet floral notes that are slightly smoky but very fragrant.