Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Djinn

... The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

This does not smell like smoke. Not like real wildfire smoke. Nope.

It does smell like a souped-up version of Scarecrow without the sweetness. It does have some sort of char to it, but it's not the right kind of char, and it's better in Scarecrow.

I'll be swapping Djinn and keeping Scarecrow.

Djinn-

In Bottle: Smoke. Oh, yum. That's so cool.

Wet: Smoke and sweetness and lime.

Dry: Very sharp smelling, not one that I'm going to want a lot, but interesting.

Overall: Conditional leaning to not so much for me.

This is sharp smoke on first sniff, acrid with a cold sweeping behind it. As it dries, the coolness becomes sweet, almost fresh. Like seeing a lush lawn through the haze. In the end, this morphs into a slightly bitter, sweet incense. Neat!

I got this mostly for hubby and omg, I am so glad I did! It smells so sexy on him! At first it was a smokey musk and then dried to a wonderful fresh and slightly sweet scent with just a hint of smoke in the background. I love it and will very likely be ordering a bottle.

Of course, now I'm really wondering how it would smell on me? hmmm...

This smells like lemons. Ashy, faint, slightly chemical lemons.

...and something else -- maybe something musky? that I can't name. But definately not smoke.

Not for me.

Again, this was tried on the husband.

On me: Smoke!

On him: Smoky... but you can smell eucalyptus and a hint of menthol on his.

On drydown: I do get more of the eucalyptus and menthol hints that he did at the beginning... and mine dries down to a pleasant incensey sort of smell, smoldering ashes and whatnot.

On his drydown: He inhaled deeply and wondered if there was valerian in it. On him, it smelled like Vick's vaporub :P and a head shop.

Verdict: Again, skin chemistry is non-cooperative in both of our cases. I don't like smelling like smoke and he wasn't keen on the 'vaporub' stage of the drydown.

On the other hand, we had tons of fun smelling it wet... and wet it's pretty phenomenal for a scent.

Djinn smells like smokey, metallic...cinnamon?

First of all, it's very much on the smokey side. A rather unsettling smell, like you're smelling some scene of devastation by fire. Aesthetically, not unpleasant, but certainly rather masculine.

As time progresses, however, the cinnamon shows itself more and more, giving the scent a more rounded, more comfortably warm layer. It's more feminine side, if you like.

It's a lovely scent, in the end. The devastating aftermath, and then the sweet benevolent side of the Djinn.

Edited by Elemcee

Hmm, I didn't think this smelled caustic at all. It definately has a 'smoky' smell to it. You know it reminds me of? It reminds me of when we used to cook hotdogs on an open fire at my grandparent's house. It has the 'smoky' smell of smoked meat, if that makes sense. I really like this scent, but it turns to soap on my skin (of course). I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with this one...

Wet: Whoa! Rosemary! and strong! And a strong throw. It smells almost like a Rosemary single note.

Dry: something citrusy is hiding in the background, it peaks through the rosemary from time to time. Rosemary is still hollering. Ugh. It is a strong scent.

Verdict: I like Rosemary on my food, but I don't like smelling like it. And the throw is nauseously strong. Sorry to do this, but I give it 1/5.

In the vial:

It’s like opening a bottle of smoke. Acrid, sharp, burning. Very intense.

On my skin:

It mellows beautifully…it’s like a campfire. Burning wood. Deeply comforting, it reminds me of the smell of the fireplace in the house where I grew up. It’s better than I ever thought it would be. It’s not floral, fruity, or musky, kind of a green scent somehow. But it is a scent I can absolutely imagine wearing as a perfume.

I made my selections for this first order of imps ears as I began to link the scent descriptions to my RPG or fanfic characters. I selected this one for one of my OC’s, Shaitan, a mutant firestarter named Adrian in my X-Men RPG. It is happily very correct for him. I am a huge nerd, and I am okay with that.

Edited by firelion

Smokey but too much so. Then comes the scent of euculyptus or junniper? Not sure which , and then something sweet, but not too sweet.

It seems to work very well on me but I had to wear this one for several days to be sure. Now I am sure and will order a bottle of this today.

In my search to find several signature scents, someone reccomended that I search by the names, and that the names themselves were perfect descriptions of the oils. So far that has been true, as in this case. The first time I heard of the Djinn was on I Dream Of Jeannie, a long, long time ago and it stuck in my imagination all these years. This would be the scent of the Djinn!

cheers!

Oh god this does smell like burning! Acrid, bitter, and sharp, it almost chokes me when I open the imp. There is definetely patchouli (my enemy), and myrrh in this. I can't really distinguish any other notes in this, only after an hour on my skin it smells like I stuck my hand in an incense brazier where myrrh was being smoldered. This is very smoky, and ashy. Totally not my thing when it comes to fragrances, but it would be sexy on a tall dark and hansome man. :P

Djinn was... interesting.

In bottle: Smokey, burnt things, slightly woody, charred. Almost harsh and angry.

Wet: Definitely burning and charred. Something sweet on top yet just a hint of something more salty, maybe like curry?

Dry: Sweet pulls through, burning and smoke in the background. Better balance, not as harsh.

Through a few hours: Got a few whiffs of crushed lightning bugs. Also a slight mesquite scent and was reminded of the way my skin smelled at the end of a day after a few hours of standing downwind from the smoke of a barbeque.

At the end turned to a very mellow and soothing incense with just a little bite of smoke I could feel at the back of my mouth.

It's not the most pleasing scent, but, I love how it transforms.

Almost soapy, and not really smoky for me :P A shame, I had high hopes for this off. :D

Swap pile, away!

Like "church" incense - frankencense, I think. Not bad, this is kinda what I thought Anathema would smell like but didn't. The boy doesn't care for it on me, or so he says. :P I think he just wants it for himself.

The description seems to be more fitting of Brimstone (which I just tried so it's in my mind) rather than djinn. It doesn't smell like burning anything on me. I admit it has a slight smoky edge which gives it an interesting base but it's mostly some musk and...something citrusy sweet?

wow the first 5 minutes was awesome smokey goodness. a bit sharp but when is smoke not sharp lol! after that it was mildly soapy and suprisingly clean smelling for a few hours. slowly the smoke smell creeps back in but never at its peak like in the beginning. I wish it stayed longer.

Interesting. Smoky smelling in the imp, but much, much sweeter than I expected on my skin. I think it's a sweet cinnamon smell - it's definitely reminding me of something... one of the Yogi herbal teas I think. Yes, it smells very similar to Yogi's Bengal Spice tea.

I can't imagine ever wearing this as a perfume - it's not 'me' at all. But it is an amazing blend that matches the description perfectly!

In the imp:

Sharp and acrid, with a hint of perfumeyness. This oil scares me a bit, but I'm trying it anyway.

Wet:

As advertised, it smells like smoke and flames... but I could swear that I smell something else underneath. Maybe patchouli? As it dries down further, yes, I am definitely smelling patchouli or something like it.

Dry:

This dries down to a smoky, herbal smell. I didn't think I was going to like this one much, but I might just like it after all.

This is a truly sinister scent. The smoke isn't the smell of friendly campfires or chestnuts roasting on an open fire, this is the aftermath of a burned down apartment building, a train collision, or uncontrollable wild fires. It's an angry, deep, dark, and almost metallic scent. I think wearing this would scare off everyone in a ten foot vicinity, but it's amazing how well crafted this scent is in regards to the stories of the Djinn. Not for me, but many props to BPAL for putting this together.

I don't get any metallic or cinnamon scents from Djinn at all. On me, it's a warm, "golden," slightly smokey scent. One of the other reviewers mentioned "salty," and I think that fits as well. I rather like it, though I don't know how much I would wear it.

A frimp from clover -- thanks!

The scent description kind of scares me, but here we go...

In the imp: Ohh, something resiny! Like smouldering frankincense. And a bonfire. Maybe this won't be too bad after all.

Wet on me: Still smouldering frankincense, and burning fragrant wood, sandalwood chips or something. Wood notes don't usually like me...maybe setting them on fire helps!

Dry on me: Very peppery and rather acrid. Strangely enough, it smells a bit salty to me. Yeah, go figure.

Djinn smells sacred to me. While smelling it I was reminded of attending the Easter vigil Mass once when I was a child -- part of the service involved a bonfire outside, and *all* of the service involved copius quantities of incense, naturally. That's what this scent brought to mind: a sacred fire on a dark night.

I'm surprised, but I do like this. I don't think I'd wear it every day, but I can definitely imagine reaching for it again.

I didn't read many reviews before trying Djinn, so lemon detergent was the last thing I was expecting. But the reviews are right - it's definitely detergent. Maybe men's cologne too? But mainly detergent. It's smokier when it first goes on and gets more sweet, soapy and lemony in the drydown. I wanted a woodsy, dark, smoky scent - this is way too refreshing for me.

I may keep the imp to see how it layers with a few other scents.

Edited to add: There's definitely vetiver in here. To my nose, it registers as primarily a lemony vetiver scent in the late drydown. I quite like this stage, and it lasts a long time.

Edited by ClareN

Kind of a spicy, chemical smell to start. It's definitely a hot incense sort of smell. It's got something weird in it, like a smoke wafting over from somewhere else and you wonder what they are burning. Unusual, and just tap dancing on the edge of icky. Some sort of rotting flowers?

Edited by Shollin