Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oakmoss

When you need something comforting or cheering

I can't stop smiling when I wear Dee - on me, it's like an old library in the middle of an enchanted forest.

To expand upon the Alice front, I find that Dana O'Shee and Dorian to an extent are quite similar in feel and Dana O'Shee in particular is my current favorite of the group at the moment -- more interesting than the other two, I think. I also adore Fae and Tamora, which both share amber and peachy notes, I believe, and feel similarly uplifting and delicate. Of the two, Tamora is a little heavier (more amber?). The pepper in White Rabbit was so distracting that I couldn't even finish an imp of it, but a lot of people seem to disagree.

To veer away from the mik and amber and honey suggestions, I find that Santa Muerte is an awesome comfort scent and one of my very favorite oils, although the slight hint of vetiver doesn't agree with everyone.

Sugar Skull is delicious and perfect and completely awesome and I'd recommend getting some while you can, even if it isn't a "consoling" type of scent, because SERIOUSLY, IT'S SOOO NICE. It'll be comforting in the colder months, anyway. <:P

Just to throw a few more titles out there, stuff like Dragon's Milk and Hollywood Babylon and Hellcat and Gluttony are so happy that they may also assist in perking you back up. IMHO a nice big order of super happy sweet imps might be just as helpful as comforting ones, so consider checking out the reviews and getting whatever sounds awesome as a big uplifting treat for yourself. (don't forget a bottle of Sugar Skull, and I mean that!!!)

You seriously have my condolences and best wishes regarding your recent tragedies, and here's hoping some indulgent aromatherapy courtesy of BPAL is a help, OKAY? Good luck!

I can't stop smiling when I wear Dee - on me, it's like an old library in the middle of an enchanted forest.

Ooooh, maybe I need to throw some of this in my next imp order? That sounds awesome, thanks for mentioning it.

I find Safari incredibly soothing. It's a gorgeous lavender. It calms me down when I'm really, really upset.

I'm going to throw in another vote for Miskatonic University as well. I'm generally not into foody scents, but this one is like wearing a hug.

A friend of mine passed away, and I'm really wanting something comforting and mind-clearing to wear to work and around the house, and later at the funeral. Any suggestions?

First, big huge hugs of condolence. I'm so, so sorry. :P

It depends on what scents make you feel comforted, but some that spring to my mind as options are Panacea: Succor (for obvious reasons), Gennivre (tea and honey), and Water of Notre Dame (calming and soothing.

Take good care of yourself through this, okay?

First, big huge hugs of condolence. I'm so, so sorry. :P

It depends on what scents make you feel comforted, but some that spring to my mind as options are Panacea: Succor (for obvious reasons), Gennivre (tea and honey), and Water of Notre Dame (calming and soothing.

Take good care of yourself through this, okay?

Thank you, hepkitten. And thank you for the suggestions! I like aquatics and tea scents quite a bit.

So sorry to hear about your friend. :P

Something you might want to think about - don't wear anything you really love and plan to wear again. I've unfortunately been to way too many funerals in the past few years, and it's amazing how much scents can bring all that back. I can't even smell crucible of courage because I wore it when my dog was dying and I had to put her to sleep - smelling it makes me so sad.

But to answer your question, the most comforting scents to me are Chaste Moon (if you have it), Obatala, and Snow White.

A friend of mine passed away, and I'm really wanting something comforting and mind-clearing to wear to work and around the house, and later at the funeral. Any suggestions?

So sorry to hear about your friend....

Kether and Sudha are my comfort scents.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. *hugs*

I find Dorian to be very comforting, and it is a tea scent. Also, Lyonesse makes me feel very calm and relaxed.

I am so sorry for your loss, Frills.

Alli has a very good point - it's amazing how intensely most of us come to associate scents with occasions or memories, particularly when they're very emotional events. Although sometimes a scent becomes a nostalgic reminder of someone you've lost, I have heard more stories about people who break down when they smell roses, for example, because it reminds them of their mother's perfume.

Here's a thread where others have discussed some of the common comfort scents - although comfort is really dependent on your preferences, some of the suggestions there could be helpful. Once you've had a chance to get some responses here, I may merge this thread with that one so we can continue to build a resource on the subject.

I was thinking, since your goals are both feeling comforted and keeping your mind clear... have you thought about Kumiho? It's combination of tea and ginger, which I find to be bright and sweet, and I think I'd describe it as fitting both of those needs. Sudha Segara might also be a good candidate. As far as aquatics, if you can get your hands on Banded Sea Snake quickly, it's amazing - Snake Oil with an aquatic feel, which I would not have thought possible. Light and cool, warm and creamy all at the same time.

You guys are wonderful! Thank you all for the suggestions and condolences. It really does mean a lot.

I hadn't thought about scent association before, and that's a really good point. It would have been really awful if my favorite scents came to remind me of losing him :P But I have a lot of new ones to try now, it looks like!

The scents I reach for the most often when I need comforting are usually White Rabbit, Tezcatlipoca, Antique Lace or Miskatonic University. I suppose they're all a bit "foody" in their own ways, but I suppose that's what most often spells "comfort" to me.

:P

I agree pretty much with Shelldo---Antique Lace, Snake Oil and in addition, Sleepy Moon.

The Snake Pits are starting to become regulars in the round-up and have moods for each of them but as you can see.....that's another can of 'snakes' all to itself! :P

I love the warm gingers in Dana O'Shee and Sudha Segara, and I really love Halôa for comfort.

Edited by sionnac

For cheeriness, Et Lux Fuit! It makes a terrible day tolerable, and a good day great. For coziness, I like Dana O'Shee and Miskatonic University. Mmm, cozy cream like a big warm hug. For happy, peaceful relaxing, Uruk- picture a cat dozing in the warm sunshine, her black stripes lit up into a rich dark chocolate brown- that's how Uruk smells.

Alice for all of the above (it reminds me of my boyfiend's soap/shampoo/deodorant combination), Ugh/Grr/Oof for calming, and cinnamony scents for coziness. Cheeriness? Rose Red makes me really happy, and Persephone is nice and bright when it's blah out. Maiden reminds me of my mom, so it's also a happy scent. :P

Shub. I'm serious. The zippy ginger is like instant backbone on a day when all I want to do is curl up in bed and bawl, and the warmth is very comforting in the winter... it's an I'm-ready-to-face-the-world kind of scent. yumm.