Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

The Candy Butcher 2006

Dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone.

In the bottle and upon application, this is a thick, rich, ultra creamy brownie batter. Then this dries and almost instantly, something dryer comes out into the forefront. It's still very chocolate, but it almost smells woody on me. I don't know what this is, as I'm sure it's not the "heavy cream undertone." I feel like I'm smelled this before, but I cannot recall which blend it is that this reminds me of.

Very yummy.

Edited by gingersnapp

In the imp: Very rich chocolate with an added sweetness that's delicate and almost floral.

Wet: The chocolate is richer, but that floral note is there, making for a really strange combination. I'm feeling the beginnings of a headache.

Dry: This smells like some kind of light, sweet candy. Maybe chocolate-covered, but not deep chocolate. I guess the "heavy cream" note decided to masquerade as "fruity water" on me. Nice, but not me.

In the bottle - A Krusha chocolate milkshake.

Wet on me - As in the bottle with a slightly biscuity note hovering in the background

Dry on me - Ashtrays :P

Overall - My skin chemisty's hatred of all things 'creamy' strikes again

It's hard to imagine I can say anything that hasn't already been said, but.....

Dark rich chocolate in the imp. Not so much dark chocolate as fudge brownies. Very rich, very nice.

After it dries, though, something wierd happens. Is it kind of plastic-like? Or is it like Sophia Helix said....something is channeled in it? Either way, I REALLY wanted it off me too, and I'm not sure why because certainly other BPAL scents have been worse on my skin.

But I was going out the door so I left it on, though I was bothered by the rather strong throw.

After about an hour, I thought what is that gorgeous scent? It was Candy Butcher. It had morphed into a brilliant cakey vanilla, with just a hint of chocolate.

I really like the vanilla phase, but the in between one....ugh. Glad I only have an imp, which I probably will use up.

My first review!

In the imp: It's all chocolate, almost headache inducingly so.

Wet: Still chocolate.

Dry. All vanilla. I can't smell any chocolate at all. It's incredibly sweet and somehow floral. I'm not sure this is me.

I adore dark chocolate so I wanted to try this as soon as I saw the description.

In the bottle I definately pick up the good dark stuff but the fault is in the cream...to me it's kinda plasticy and it gets worse when this hits my skin.The smell reminds me of chemically Easy Bake oven treats.If that sounds appealing...this is your blend!I'll stick with Lump of Coal for chocolately goodness.

In the imp: Chocolate!

On Skin: Chocolate and cream!

On Drydown: The chocolate tones down quite a bit and some florals come underneath, with a creamy undertone. Quite pleasant.

Verdict: This is more of a chocolate-floral blend than a foody-chocolate blend. It's quite pleasant as it's less sugary than Lump of Coal.

ETA: This one is more straight up foodie, chocolate and cream (the cream goes plasticky on me, but that's okay). My skin eats this up, and then only the cream comes back. Full of sadness.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Cocoa, powdery and soft and subtle and round. This isn't nearly as sweet and foody as I expected it to be, but it's still rich, almost elegant. This is a fancy chocolatier, where the shop name is written in gilt whorls, and the shopkeepers murmur their answers to your questions. This is a truffle presented singly on a platter.

First sniff: So. Very. Chocolate. Super-creamy smooth rich chocolate. Vosges chocolate, which would be eye-rollingly swoonworthy even if it didn’t have neat stuff in it.

Wearing: This lady morphed in all kinds of strange directions. Sniffing it directly, it stayed very firmly in the creamy rich chocolate category, but I kept getting wafts of vanilla (specifically, BBW’s Warm Vanilla Sugar scent!) and berries. Quite the weirdness. But every variation on the theme was truly droolworthy, I must say!

Oh, this is trouble.

In the (empty) bottle: Fudgy, moist, out of the oven Brownies. I thought to myself "But I already have a bottle of Demeter's Brownie perfume I don't wear because it's too. . .brownies!"

On: Sweet and creamy (and dreamy), a little chocolate, soft florals (that I don't hate? is that possible?) This is nothing like that bottle of stuff I don't wear. I want to slather this all over. Maybe even a little right under my nose, so I don't even have to lift my arm to sniff it. Which is why I am depressed that I only have an empty right now. This is incredibly delicious, and going on my next order. :P

I want to write poetry about this. And I don't write poetry.

eta: Also, it must have been destiny. Because I dreamed about this before I bought it :D

edited again: eventually this gets a little too creamy, I think I'd have to layer it with something spicy or woody

Edited by SeaLady

In the bottle, this smells like yummy cocoa powder.

On my skin, the first whiff was of creamy chocolate, and then... *cries* it smelled like nasty plastic. I was so disappointed! I was hoping my skin wouldn't do that. Later on, it mellowed to an incensey smell with chocolate/plastic notes.

Poo. I was so hoping this one would work on me because I love foody smells.

Verdict: Alas, I am another victim of the plastic. I can't wear this.

In Bottle: Rich chocolate cake batter. The scent is dark and almost bitter, like unsweetened baker's chocolate melted & mixed with creamy milk.

On Skin: It sweetens as it dries. Much more vanilla now, but still definitively chocolate. It started off heavy & dark, but gets lighter and sweeter as it wears. It was a little powerful and overwhelming at first, but its softening up, which is nice.

I'm not sure what the "plastic" morph is, but this is remaining fairly pleasant on me. There is a slightly sour note to it, but I think this scent needs a little bitter & sour to keep it from being too sweet. Drink Me (Mad Tea Party) & Gluttony (Sin & Salvation) both work on me, so if you like those, this one might be something to try!

Edited by Cacie

This starts off dark and rich chocolate. Yummy! The chocolate fades rather quickly* and a slightly-creamy floral comes up. The floral smells a bit like lily to me so I can see the Snow White comparison. Its a light scent and rather pretty but not one I'd grab a bottle of.

*Bliss faded quickly on me too so I guess my skin doesn't like holding on to chocolate scents. :P

Tested from a friend's bottle.

In the bottle, it smells like luciously thick fudge brownies. Seriously tasty stuff, and absolutely disctinct from Bliss or Velvet - rich and fudgey, not sweet and creamy like Bliss or rich and dry like Velvet.

Directly on the skin it smells like fudge brownie batter with some floral or perfumey undertones... and then after about 5 minutes it becomes an almost exact replica of Monsterbait Underbed; dry, pervasive cocoa and cassia (but no rum note at all). On my skin, the similarity between the two scents is uncanny.

I had been concerned that it would develope the same 'soured cream' note I have gotten from Milk Moon and Chaste Moon, or do the dusky, musty horrible thing that Bliss can do on my skin after a while. However, it end up not being sweet at all, but super dry and sharp and a little bitter.

I can see how this could work on other people, but it isn't going to on me. Obviously, I have wacky skin chemistry.

Oh Candy Butcher, I so wanted to like you!

Bliss and Velvet are two of my favorite scents...

This makes me smell like a cheap vanilla candle. Ugh. This is very, very odd, as it smells like Bliss in the imp. Gah, it's giving me a headache.

Weird...and sad.

I accidentally ended up seriously slathering this one. Even given that, though, I never really got much throw or a strong scent from this. I end up getting a tiny hint of chocolate and a less than tiny plastic note when I sniff my wrist closely. This is not a winner. After many hours of wear I get a sweet, vanilly skin scent, but I have much better options for getting that scent.

My sweet little Candy Butcher, why must you evaporate so quickly on my skin?? :P

If it weren't for that I would most likely search out more bottles of you, but when I literally have to shove my nose into my skin to get whiffs of you, it's just not worth the effort.

Wet on my skin I was VERY worried because it was a strange and slightly burnt plastic on me, but soon enough it turned to a delightful creamy, chocolate floral, but still on the plastic doll side. I don't really get any of the Snow White comparison that many others seemed to get, and I was really hoping I would. I can slightly see what they're referring to, but only a glimpse of it. But true Snow White is so much more gorgeous.

In short: This is a delicious, creamy candy but way too subtle.

At first sniff, pure smooth chocolatey goodness. When I put it on, I am struck by a comparison that prevents any other from surfacing: somebody spilled a bottle of Aquolina's Pink Sugar into a vat of molten chocolate. Yup, chocolate flavoured Pink Sugar......only nowhere near as sickeningly sweet as PS. A quieter, smoother, chocolate Pink Sugar.

Makes me wish I was more of a foodie-person. Good stuff!

This was my first chocolate/candy scent.

From the moment I opened the imp, I could tell that this was not going to be the Ultimate Chocolate Scent for me. It wasn't bad. It wasn't too strong. It wasn't too sweet. It was just...not quite right. To my nose, it had kind of an imitation chocolate overtone which only amped on my skin.

One of my friends has a chocolate perfume that makes my stomach growl every time she wears it. I am going to swap Candy Butcher and hold out for that kind of scent.

Keeping the imp? Nah.

Bottle? Nah.

I got this as a surprise from Moonarcana (whom I will never tanks enough).

This is real chocolate. That's all. Like black chocolate, or rather, like reeeeeally good quality milk chocolate. If you know Green & Black's, that's what I mean. Bliss lasted nothing on my skin and to me it smelled like Lush cosmetics chocolate products: very sweet chocolate blended with orange. This is a lot purer. I'm tempted to lick myself, seriously.

This sounds wrong, but it smells chocolatey and perfumey at the same time. It is as if I had applied something floral, and then Candy Butcher on top. Still, it is terribly addictive.

Edited by Nia

I've tried this a couple times but I'm finally getting around to reviewing it.

In the imp and wet, it's a dark dark chocolate.

Once it starts drying, the creaminess comes out. At first it's perfect, but then the cream goes bad on me. I kept sniffing the air going "what went sour?" and then I realized it was me.

Off to the swap pile for this one.

On first sniff, this reminds me of dry chocolate cake batter. It took me awhile to pin point the smell, but that is what the first impression was to me. After wearing Candy Butcher awhile and letting it warm to my skin, all the notes started to blend better. The dry batter scent turned into a cocoa vanilla cream. It could be a little sweeter though.

While nice I think I would like to try it blended with something else-snake oil perhaps?

I don't know why everyone is getting florals from this. In the imp, on me wet, on me dry and several hours later...this is exactly as described.

Rich, dark chocolate and a kind of clotted, thick cream.

Perfect for my PMS needs!! I've tried my imp on twice in a row and its the same...had to go order a big bottle!!!

I like Bliss, but its powdery and wan compared to The Candy Butcher on my skin.

**love this one! Definitly up in my top ten. Have a lab fresh bottle AND bought another bottle from a friend... :P

Edited by Bulletslc

This smells very cocoa on me. There is nothing sweet and chocolaty, it's a very dry and dark dark chocolate. The kind I love the most! I find it a bit to distracting as a perfume! Lol. Usually my skin amps the sweetness but I get nothing of the cream in this one. It's a very lovely smell, but as compared to Bliss it is it's much darker and more bitter cousin.

Jenn

Darnit.

This is lovely in the bottle -- just as described, cream with lashings of dark cocoa powder on top. On my skin, it changes immediately: first I get a peculiar, almost wheat-y scent, then the chocolate disappears entirely and I'm left with a faintly sour note.

Bizarre! Usually I'm fine with milk and chocolate scents -- White Rabbit and Bliss are two of my favourites -- so I thought this one was a sure bet. Now it looks like I'll have to swap it. *shrug* Someone out there will enjoy it.