Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

The Candy Butcher 2006

Dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone.

IMP: Intense, dark bitter cocoa, with a bit of alcohol. Slightly sharp, not sweet or creamy at all. Like cocoa and vodka!

WET: Still intense dark cocoa on top, but underneath there's a smoky/woody/incensey/floral thing going on that makes my head spin. My brain is going "Chocolate, flowers, church, whaaaaaa???" I can definitely smell the tones that others have described as "plastic" because there's something powdery and floral that's reminiscent of scented baby dolls, but it doesn't come across as plasticy on me. No sweetness or cream or vanilla either, though. It's like nothing I've ever smelled before. It's AMAZING, and my husband can't stop biting my arm!

DRY: Smells the same as when wet for at least an hour or so after it dries. Then the sharpness fades and it gets mellower and rounder. It never gets very sweet on me, and I never get any cream or vanilla or nuttiness. Just this incredible rich chocolatey incense sort of smell. I would love to try layering this, maybe with some cinnamon & orange for me (Terry's Chocolate Orange from Hell) and with something spicy and sandalwoody for my husband.

I got this as a frimp from Carmencita (thank you!!!) and I am SO getting a bottle of this. Or maybe a gallon.

ETA: I ordered a bottle of this, and now realize that the imp I first tried must have been well aged. The new stuff is a bit more like chocolate and sourish milk, not nearly as rich and warm and mellow as the imp. So I will definitely be aging this bottle, and may order another just to put aside for a year or so. Edited by Catmint

After having tried alot of bpal's different chocolate blends i have to say that candy butcher is 2nd for me after boomslang. It is a very sweet chocolate but i don't get alot of cream from this one. in the bottle its almost like smelling a chocolate milkshake but not an overly sickening chocolate one.. It stay pretty close to bottle scent on my skin until it starts to dry down to a much drier cocoa scent. I don't get any plastic at all from this one..

Delightful! This is much more suited to my body chemistry than blends like Bliss. No wonder this is so popular. I swear I can detect something floral in this blend – I think this is why it’s so good on my skin as I tend to amp up florals.

In the imp: Oh, pure chocolate without the slightly burnt smell of Gluttony. I want to eat the imp.

On the wrist: It’s a perfume. It’s chocolate. It’s a perfume that’s chocolate, with elements of both at once. Oh, my poor brain is so confused.

On drydown: Almost a watery note behind the chocolate and indefinable thing that is telling me “this is a perfume” without smelling perfume-y. Still really nice.

An hour: Gone. I’m almost relieved, as this imp is mostky gone and I would have had to mug people for an LE scent. Still, wow for making my brain work!

Oh. My. God.

Every time I wear this, I feel like I just bathed in home-made hot fudge sauce. Or batter for one of those pudding cakes, with an added quarter-cup of cocoa powder and cream cheese to make it that much thicker and richer.

As an added bonus, I've discovered that layering it with Lush's Soft Coeur body bar makes it last a lot longer.

I've only used it a couple of times, because I'm hoarding it for when it gets colder outside.

To me, this is almost and exact duplicate of Monsterbait: Underbed, aka BEST BPAL EVER (that I can only wear on the back of my hands or I get red and itchy). So basically... awesome.

It's a dry cocoa scent with a slightly cakey undertone, with slightly less throw than Underbed but also minus the redness and itching.

This is a beautiful chocolate scent. It smells like delicious cocoa and cream, but cold heavy cream rather than warm. It never gets overpowering, and dries down to a light breath of cocoa over a demure vanilla a la Regan - there appears to be a light floral character to it, as well, but I can't put my finger on what that would be. I could bathe in this stuff; it's the perfect candy scent.

Edited by LadyMedb

A biscuity kind of chocolate, this one - a bit like Bourbon biscuits, for the Brits on the forum... It has a dry chocolate smell, rather than the creamy chocolatiness of a bar of the stuff. A very nice foody smell, though I'd have preferred a bit less crumb and a bit more cream.

Dark chocolate syrup, yum! It amazes me how they managed to create a perfume that smells both like a food...and a perfume! It goes on very chocolate but when dry you smell something else... is it floral? Chocolate and flowers? Or is it fruit? I can't tell, but it is BEAUTIFUL! Unfortunately it doesn't get along well with my sinuses. :P Bummer. Cause this one is a keeper!

O..... M.... G..... This is such a dessert smell!!!! Sinfully delicious, the kind of sinful that you have to eat with a HUGE spoon!!!! Decadent and delicious, I am SURE there must be a guilt trip lurking around somewhere!!!!!!!

Definitely a chocolate scent, and the rich cream is literally frothing....

Bottle: Chocolate

Wet: Chocolate and cocoa, surrounded by cream! Very grown up chocolate, not candyish at all!

Drydown: Oddly enough, there's a fruity note hidden under the chocolate. If I sniff at it hard, I get a sense of it. Maybe cherries or citrus? I really like it!

4.0 outta 5

I really love this! Honestly I didn't think I would, which is why I never tried it until now. At first I thought it reminded me of the candy sweetness of Midnight on the Midway, however, what it really smells like is chocolate-covered Brach's Circus Peanuts and some kind of floral. Said another way, I smell that artificial banana candy scent mixed with smooth creamy chocolate and light fruity florals. I have to add that I hate Circus Peanuts but I do love artificially-flavored banana taffy and such so this is a winner for me. Candy Butcher never smells like dark chocolate to me so I'm guessing the heavy cream gives it the soft, creamy milk chocolate feel. In its final stages I get the softest powdered cocoa and lightly sweet vanilla. Gotta getta bottle!

Gutted. In the bottle this was the purest, most divine chocolate scent ever. I was in love from the first sniff. But oh....!

The second it hit my skin it turned into screeching, sharp burnt plastic. I've had it sort of happen before - some vanillas and the first few minutes of Snow White, but this actually just reached out and slapped me in the face. I'm not even sure why, since I've never had problems with the labs cocoa or cream notes before. :P

Gutted. In the bottle this was the purest, most divine chocolate scent ever. I was in love from the first sniff. But oh....!

The second it hit my skin it turned into screeching, sharp burnt plastic. I've had it sort of happen before - some vanillas and the first few minutes of Snow White, but this actually just reached out and slapped me in the face. I'm not even sure why, since I've never had problems with the labs cocoa or cream notes before. :P

YES! This is me exactly. Perfect cocoa richness in the imp and then OUCH! I thought it was the cream emerging for a second. But no. Burnt plastic. Kiiiiiinda similar to October's burnt plastic, but less sharp and more nauseating. The chocolate is still there, mostly as a little sweetness and an hour or two later, it's lingering sweeter, but still with the bitter burnt plastic. Gods, I'm crushed. I was so excited about this blend!! Good to hear though, that I'm not condemned to never wear a BPAL cream note, as you say you've not had problem with others. I reeeeally hope this doesn't happen with Love's Philosophy as well.

IMP: Mmmm, like cocoa powder or a good dark chocolate truffle.

WET: Uh-oh, some plastic. But I smell chocolate too. Gah. I will prevail! Wait, it's going away... It's now dark chocolate and something else

DRY: A soft chocolate that's not entirely foody. Yay!

i have been looking very, very forward to this... :D

in the bottle: heavy, deep chocolate. the dark version of Bliss! :P

wet on skin: yep, like Bliss, but with a greater intensity. man, this is GOOOOOD.

dry down: there seems to be a tiny spicy note, ala Underbed in here- i can smell a hint of cassia, though there is no claim to it being in the blend, but i can smell it in there- and it's REALLY good.

in all: 1. glad i didn't buy a full bottle of Bliss yet. 2. will likely spend that money on a second bottle of Candy Butcher! :D

Imp: Smells like creamy homemade chocolate icing.

Wet: OMG. This is heaven. It smells like cold chocolate cake. It is so beautiful. I only have an imp!!

Drydown: Still lovely. Softer. I would need to slather it on, but that would be a pleasure. Must see if I can get my hands on more!

Oh wow. CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM (Heavy on the buttercream..which I LOVE!) This lovely "candy" sort of note comes out in the middle..or maybe a truffle note? But it goes away and after about an hour I am left with sweet, sweet buttercream icing with a slight milky cocoa note. Awesome!

In the imp all I smell is chocolate, which is encouraging. On my skin, though, the cream goes kind of sour and takes over. I hope it's the cream, I'll be heartbroken if I can't wear bpal chocolate. :P

In the imp, this is dark chocolate, all right.

On my skin, it's a slightly bittersweet dark chocolate. It's the same when dry, as well.

This is just as advertised, and not for me.

Wow! If you like foodie scents, then you have to have a bottle of The Candy Butcher. It is deep, dark, sexy chocolate, with the slightest bit of cream attached to it. On my skin, the cream stays creamy, and there is no suggestion of the plastic that some others have referred to. This scent is heavenly! :P

I wanted SOOOOO bad to smell like chocolate and cream. Unfortunately, I smelled like a TINY bit of chocolate and NAIL POLISH REMOVER. I will hold onto this until I finish up my lupron shots. Maybe my body chemistry will agree then.

First Impression: Dark chocolate with flowers.

Dries down to: Stays the same.

Additional Comments: I can't believe this is just chocolate and cream. There's got to be something floral or citrus in the mix because I get a slightly sour edge to this - almost like candied lemon peels covered in dark chocolate. Maybe the cream curdled. It's not sweet at all and is quite haunting. Very unique.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

NOM. :P In the vial: luscious, fudgey chocolate.

This gets very interesting on my skin. There's a fruity, creamy, candy-like smell under the chocolate. It's almost rhubarb-like, and there's a faint greenness to it. It reminds me of the pantry of an older woman I used to know, full of canning jars and tins of homemade molasses cookies. I daresay there's something a bit floral about it, too. Turkish delight, anyone?

While the morphing is interesting and mostly pleasant, it's not really what I was expecting when I smelled the vial. I was hoping for something more like Lump of Coal (le sigh), and unfortunately, that's not what my skin chemistry lets me have.