Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Megaera

Orris, black amber, bergamot, plum and grapefruit.

I really like this, although I hate all forms of amber. The grapefruit and plum are gorgeous; dark and lush.

I definitely get lots of grapefruit from this one; the plum gives it a sweet, rounded edge after the initial bite of the citrus. To be quite honest, it reminds me of Cheshire Cat, only without that creamy, ultra-sugary note to it; while Cheshire Cat hunkers down and grins at you, Meg is higher up, sulking jealously. If you thought that CC was too sweet or thick somehow, you may want to try this, instead. Also, I feel it's a perfect sort of perfume for the height of the summer months.

In the bottle: Lemon pez. o.O;

Wet: A lemon that's just not happy.

Dry down: Angry lemon. A very sulky, angry lemon. :P I think there might be something wrong with my nose. O^;

In bottle/imp: Plum, amber, and bergamot all mixed together.

Immediately on skin: The first thing I get from this is light violet-like orris, and a background of light plum and amber. It’s softly floral, fruity, and has a nice base of amber.

After a little while: As I wear this, the orris comes out more and more and almost overpowers everything else. The plum is the only thing I can really smell lingering in the far background. It’s sweet, powdery violets with just that touch of plum.

Overall Impressions: This is mostly just violet on me unfortunately. I really was hoping to get more of the other notes (I love plum and bergamot). The orris dominates this scent with just a little plum in the background. On me this isn’t very balanced since there’s nothing there to temper the sweet violet and plum notes. Ah well. I’m sure it’s gorgeous on others.

In the imp: Grapefruit with a dusting of sugar

Wet: I pick up violets now.

Dry: Powdery violet scent is all I get. (but that is not a bad thing at all)

It's very soft on me. The bergamot amps and reminds me of a less complex and sharp version of Croquet. I'll stick to Croquet.

Imp: Grapefruit and smoothness of amber

Wet: Bergamont, grapefruit and a surprisingly well behaved plum (tends to go sour on me)

Dry: This is gorgeous. It's smooth and bright at the same time. Doesn't smell "fury"-ish at all. Really fills the nose, which I'm always looking for. And the amber's not going powdery! It's a miracle!

Overall: I can see wearing this a lot. It's got enough complexity to be interesting, but it's not muddled. All the notes present themselves in time. It smells ladylike and sweet without turning to candy. I have a feeling that I will be picking up a bottle very soon!

Started off tart and fruity (yum!) but as it dried I started to amp the orris. I'm not sure whether or not I like it. :huh?:

Maybe in a locket or as a room scent I would like it more. Or even perhaps as a bath oil. I'll keep the imp and experiment a little. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

Sniffing the imp, I can pick out the black amber and bergamot and fruit.

Wet on my skin, it's a sweet citrus. I get more lemon than grapefruit though.

The amber comes back after it begin to dry and I can smell the plum and bergamot as well. I like this blend. It's sweet, but not overly sugary.

Once completely dry, I can smell the Orris too. One of the few blends I have been able to detect every single note.

I tried this previously without posting a review, and my notes say "Nice, snappy".

Now it's just a quick fade, although the plum & bergamot were nicely full in the background when freshly applied.

I get a big whoosh of Bergamot at first from this..yum! I love Bergamot. But it's gone in a flash and this scent turns very spicy and plummy.

This reminds me of more of an Aromatherapy oil than a perfume. or something you would put in a burner.

Don't get me wrong...I really like it but...the spicyness and the fruit is reminding of like a candle or something.

Anwway...that's the wet stage.

The fruit fades a little on dry down, and it's turns slighty more spicy, with a plum undertone.

Then the fruit fades more and this scent becomes like a faint spice...

In the imp I mostly get bergamot. Wet on my skin I smell lovely violets and citrus but it fades to a faint violet as it dries. It is really lovely and I wish it didn't fade on me so quickly. I think this is one that I'll definitely have to try in a scent locket.

At first this reminds me a bit of Titania, in that it has a very crisp, fresh, juicy fruit smell, although I get mainly grapefruit tartness at first.

This does morph between slightly spicy, almost like red hots, fruit, and something I can only attribute to the combination of the black amber and bergamot which smells like of musky and earthy.

Overall there are other blends that have similar scents as this that I like better, as this almost feels like three scents mixed together, just too much going on. I'll keep this one around though, because I'd love to give this another go after it's aged a little while.

Sparkly citrus on me as well. Fruity notes take over and there's a bit of powder mixed in from the amber. Something smelled like my mental picture of blackberry vines for a bit which was interesting, but then it kind of flatlined on my skin.

First review! Eeep. :blush: This is only the fourth scent I've tried. It's also the runaway favorite!

I don't have the ability yet to pick out different notes, at least not in this one. But the sense impression I get is of light through a pinky-purple silk lantern. It smells round, if that makes sense. Fruity, but like a watercolor painting of fruit. Extremely soft and warm and feminine.

It's been about two hours since I applied it, and I can still smell it without huffing my wrist, but its intensity has gone down considerably. It's just like a lovely bit of silk trailing behind me.

"My Favorite Plum" by Suzanne Vega came up on shuffle while I was wearing this...how perfect!

Bottlesniff Fruit punch, smells like passionfruit, orange & mango

Wet on skin Grapefruit and what I think is the amber smell exactly like tropical fruit juice. I'm really wondering why I bought this... :(

Drydown Thankfully that fruit juice is calming down and I'm getting a more grown up character beginning to develop. But it's still got that passionfruit thing happening.

Overall A sweet fruity flavour that's lacking in much character. Might be a good scent for a teenage girl but nothing to inspire me. Grapefruit burns off pretty quickly and despite the dark sounding notes it's very light and fruity scent.

I bought Megaera some time ago, but I never really tested it until now. It's one of those scents that don't morph that much going on the skin. After I swiped it on, I kept sniffing at my hand, trying to figure out what what it reminded me of, and I finally got it: Bubblegum. This scent has a light hint of bubblegum to it that I really don't care for. I'm still new at this, so I can't really pick out a specific note, but the overall impression is a light, fruity scent. There's no edge or hint of darkness to break it up, definitely something a girl in her early teens would wear.

The scent stays close to the skin, and there is zero throw. Overall, it's one of those scents that aren't offensive, but not that great either.

Frimp in my will call bag.

My grandmother often referred to a woman having a shrieking bat poopie insane fit as a "Megaera," so when I saw the imp, I had to smile. Apparently, the shrieking woman likes me and so I like her.

In the vial, this is an extremely fruity blend. I don't smell the amber and I don't think I smell the orris. What I do get is a whole lot of plum and juicy, red fruits, like grapes and berries. Yum. Seriously, I would drink this if it weren't . . . you know . . . perfume and all. Once I have it on, this smells like a rich, luscious fruit banquet. I still get lots of dark, juicy, red fruits, but there's a faint citrus note taming it just a bit. At the drydown, I suspect either the amber or orris emerges to tame back even more of the fruit note. I can't be sure which, but whatever it is, the note gives the blend a nice, smooth feel and keeps it from turning into fruit juice. Once dry, I'm left with a fruity blend with a faint touch of "something." While it smells nothing like The Fruit of Paradise, I'm reminded most of that oil -- mostly fruit with an added note or two to give it more depth.

Very nice! I'm not sure if I'll buy a bottle yet, but this is definitely going onto the maybe list.

Edited by Kejiaron

imp: plum, something earthy.

Wet: More plum, amber (but not so bad on me this time), and some of the citrus is popping out.

Drydown: The amber is very spiky in my nose (or is that orris? or bergamot?), and it's smelling rather mediciney, though the plum is warming up nicely. I might look for other things with plum in it to see what they're like.

Dry: Never mind. Why do I keep smelling like stale fruit snacks! Eventually I get spice and grapefruit-flavored snacks, but fruit snacks all the same. Alas.

Hmm. I'm a bit worried about the amber in this-amber usually goes terribly powdery on me and black amber is one of my less favored ambers. This is pleasant in the imp-a slightly darkened violety scent with a touch of bergamot and bitter fruitiness.

Huh...on my skin this goes to amber and grapefruit. A bit of florals, but it's almost like grapefruit rind or something. Not sweet and juicy, just the bitter peel mixed with amber. Very odd.

In drydown this first became a straight violet-y scent. Almost like Lush's Gratuitous Violet soap to my nose. Now it's sort of become a sweet powdery scent, which is unsurprising given the amber and how my skin usually turns it to powder. Could be lovely on someone else, but the amber killed it for me.

This works wonderfully on me.

In imp and first applied, this does sparkle a bit because the fruit is quite strong. It of course mellowed after a few minutes and the bergamont came out strongly.

The orris root isn't powdery. I think the bergamont is balancing that. Amber is warming each element and allowing them to get along.

Drydown: the juicy fruit has burned off (thankfully) and the end product is a sweet syrupy amber and orris mix. Pretty much what you would expect, reading the description.

At first I can smell the slightly violet-like orris along with the plum note. The plum is phony at first but plastic note goes away.

Then the grapefruit becomes the standout note. At this point I think it is too much citrus. Maybe I'll save the imp for the hot days in summer.

After about a half hour everything blends together and it becomes a wonderful sweet-tart, slightly powdery-in-a-good-way, elegant scent.

After wearing it most of the evening I thought it was too sweet and sticky. The plum in Megaera dries down to something similar to the pomegranate in Fruit of Paradise but Megaera is a sweeter and somehow more syrupy or sticky scent. I prefer the fresh tartness of Fruit of Paradise.

Edited by Myrrha

oh, this is lovely. wet, i get the amber and orris (a lovely floral), but the citrus peeks out once it hits my skin. drydown morphs into a subtle sweet scent with a bit of citrus. my reigning thought throughout all of this was, "this is nice." however, i don't think it's really me? i may give this one another shot, because it really is beautiful, but i'm suspecting i'll be swapping this out to someone who can connect with it better than i apparently am!