Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Lyonesse

Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

In the vial, I get a sharp floral with no vanilla in sight. Wet, the muskiness protrudes but the florals dominate. It doesn't really smell like liles to my nose, and while I generally appreciate the sharpness of elemi, this is too sharp for my liking. Lyonesse seems to be getting muskier by the minute. Still no sign of vanilla. And sandalwood? Nada. You'd think the orris would dull the sharpness a bit but I get none of that either.

Damn, really tried to like this one. Lyonesse happens to win the award for First BPAL Blend to Make Incendiare Sneeze.

Wet: Warm, golden, sexy vanilla

Drydown: Something a bit aquatic and sharp comes through, still very golden vanilla

Dry: The ambergris peeks through with some light floral notes.

Overall, this one ends up a sexy, slightly floral, warm vanilla on me and I love it. It has just a touch of aquatic interest without going metallic or bathroom air freshener, too. Keeper.

ETA: Also has fantastic throw and staying power. I really like this one.

I was blown away sniffing Lyonesse in the bottle for the first time--it is a beautiful scent. :thud: I have decent luck with lily, though it tends to be a pretty strong player on my skin, and Lyonesse is no different. To me, this scent conjures up the image of a big, luscious, white stargazer lily: creamy, cold, white, haughty, and strong. The vanilla and amber warm it up a bit, I cannot detect the elemi or sandalwood. This doesn't seem to have a ton of throw (despite my slathering), but it does last longer than most of my BPALs, and dries down to a muskier vanilla with a hint of soapiness from the vestiges of the lily. I wouldn't be devastated without it, but I do like my bottle and enjoy wearing it once in a while.

Sniffed: Warm vanilla, with a slight watery/mossy tang.

On skin: At first, I thought Lyonesse was a dead ringer for Haloes: both have the same warm, golden vanilla scent. (And they have many common notes.) But after skin-testing both together, Lyonesse actually is a bit lighter, with a distinctly cool, watery, almost metallic dimension. I recognize sea moss and elemi, maybe orris and ambergris are also contributing. Very fascinating, how the warm vanilla is transformed into something cool and oceanic by the other notes, yet the whole blend remains beautiful and balanced. I've tested Lyonesse several times -- the watery note is stronger some days, and other days it is like Haloes "Lite". Colour impression is gold mixed with grey ivory, edged with sea green.

Verdict: Lyonesse is truly beautiful and distinct, it really evokes a golden land washed over by green ocean waves. Unfortunately, it is just too similar to Haloes, which I love more. If I hadn't found Haloes first I would've been in love with Lyonesse, but alas!

Gilded is a great word in this description. This is warm golden vanilla. It's feminine, elegant and oh so gorgeous. It's timeless. This is the first scent I've tried that has lily as a note that isn't overwhelmed by the lily! There is a quiet undertone of floral, but the vanilla is the star here.

If I'd discovered BPAL before my wedding, I would have worn this on my wedding day.

I'm buying a bottle of this ASAP.

The notes for this sound amazing, so why is it just this vaguely fruity, powdery blah scent? Sad.

IMP: White musk and florals

WET: Ambergris and light florals

DRY: It morphs into an aquatic and soapy creamy floral

I can't really tell there is vanilla or oakmoss in this. It was nice to try because I always see it in the vanilla suggestions, but I prefer my vanilla more foody or resinous.

In the bottle: vanilla and musk, a bit of lilies and sandalwood. the vanilla makes it quite sweet, which is nice because maybe it means the sandalwood won't take over (which does horrid things on my skin). it's deep and mysterious, a place that only locals would be welcome. not for tourists or stranger; you have to be invited.

On my skin: turns almost exclusively to musk and sandalwood on my skin, though there is a sweet cloud of vanilla layered over everything. the sandalwood keeps coming out, along with something that's a bit spicier. I adore the vanilla, but the sandalwood and musk ruin its' sweet girlishness for me.

Last thoughts: just too strong for me to wear. I really really like the vanilla in it though, so if anyone knows of something that smells like just the vanilla in this one, pass your suggestions along please!

Lyonesse is sheer otherworldly beauty. The aquatic note from the sea moss is absolutely perfect, salty and blue with none of the soapiness that aquatics sometimes get. The amber and vanilla give depth to the scent and make it glow with a golden light, and the ambergris adds its usual bittersweet waft. The overall atmosphere is of acute, breathtaking beauty marred by wistfulness.

I smell Lyonesse and feel as though I am watching the sun set over the ocean, knowing it will never rise again. I feel as though I am watching the waves beating at the ruins of some ancient, decaying city by the sea, until finally they give and collapse into the ocean. I feel unsure whether I to rejoice at the wonders or the present or mourn that they will no longer be with us tomorrow.

Kant's definition of the sublime, finally in bottle form. A very enthusiastic five out of five.

In imp: clean and rather soapy, slightly floral with a touch of bright vanilla. It smells faintly masculine to me, or rather an almost-masculine note. I'm not sure what it is.

Wet on skin: it's clean and bright, faintly powdery and almost-but-not-quite oily. There is a sweet, bright, pleasing note--it might be the lily. I can almost get the sandalwood--it's like a ghost and a whiff, providing an almost ethereal quality to the blend. Finally vanilla is rounding out the scent well, sort of grounding it. This is actually kind of pleasing!

Dry: this is nice! The high note is almost indistinguishable now--I don't get it a lot, if any--but there's now an almost citrusy note here that's rounded out nicely by the vanilla and musk, maybe the orris is also helping out. This is a very well-blended, uh, blend. Sweet, and actually almost yummy, but I wouldn't call it foody--it's like a shade before foody.

Verdict: I'm liking this one a lot. It's complex enough for me to be intrigued wearing it! It's foody but not foody, floral but not floral. Very interesting, and I think it deserves a bottle.

I love vanilla, I love anything aquatic, and I love lilies. Put them all in one bottle and I love the scent! This one just got moved to the top of the favorites list and I'll be adding a bottle of it to my next BPAL order. :wub2:

In the vial: A pure, non-foody, only ever-so-slightly sweet, aquatic vanilla.

On: If I had to describe this scent as a color, it would be primarily a creamy white-ish yellow with iridescent green and blue shimmers. The vanilla in this is incredibly similar to that in "Liz" (in fact, I tested them side-by-side when I first noticed - Liz has smoke and leather where this is heavier on florals and that green-blue-ish aquatic thing, but the vanilla checks out for sure). If you tried "Liz" and it was too smoky or butch for you, this may be what you have been looking for! I personally like this a lot, but if I had to choose between buying a bottle of this or of "Liz", I still may have to go for the latter.

Later: The scent stays true even when dried down completely and retains a noticeable, but not obnoxious throw. I like this a lot. I'm still not certain I need bottles of both this and "Liz", but if one of them ever gets discontinued, it's good to know there is a scent that, on me, is relatively similar. The imp will stay with me for sure.

Imp: Aquatic musk with a hint of amber... hmm!

Wet: Do I detect a sprig of mint? I like it! The sandalwood and musk are comforting, but the "mint" gives it an edge.

Dry: Sandalwood and musk love me, and the feeling is mutual. Lyonesse gets sweeter with time and it has a surprisingly good throw. This is a regal and commanding scent, but it's also very accessible, like the perfect little black dress. It's classic and sexy all at the same time. I imagine Audrey Hepburn would wear this.

What an ethereal, beautiful, non-foody vanilla! I'm such a ho for vanilla, but I'll believe it that this is the be-all-and-end-all of BPAL vanillas. :thud: I get mostly a soft but powerful golden vanilla with an undercurrent of airy musk and delicate flowers. It's sweet without being gourmand, innocent yet not kiddy by any means. Great sillage without hitting you over the head with its scent, and the lasting power is amazing. A bottle's going into my next order ASAP.

Lyonesse is an extremely soft scent. Ethereal really is the perfect word for this. I can smell mostly white musk, amber, and lily strongest right away. The vanilla and ambergris come out after about 10 minutes, and stay in the forefront from then on. It stays fairly light, but I found it lighter upon first application and liked that initial impression a little more than the drydown. Ambergris definitely makes its presence known and I am not a huge fan of it.

Edit: I just noticed that my nose is also completely stopped up when it had not been earlier... I'm definitely swapping my imp now that I know something in it clogs me up. :(

Edited by calivianya

I can't believe I've never reviewed this blend. It may be my favorite GC, and is easily within my top 5 favorite blends of all time (including LEs!). During particular times of the month I sometimes can't wear it-- goes all powdery-- but so does everything else.

It's buoyant, achingly lovely ambergris, sea moss, and lily all blended smoothly together. Aquatic but with a creamy, rich, non-foody vanilla to add depth and an unexpected twist.

I smell this and I think of love and loss.

I have a bottle that has earned a place in one of my three beloved big glass perfume bottles on display in my room-- it is my go-to for when I want to smell lovely, classy, chic, or just need to know that I'll smell beautiful.

I will probably get an extra bottle in my next GC order.

I scored this unused imp in a swap due to a happy accident. I'm so excited to try it as this one has been highly coveted by me since I first got into bpal. Here goes;

In imp: It had a sharp, greenish blue irish spring soap smell to it paired almost equally with the vanilla which smells very buttery.

On wet: Wow, very interesting. The vanilla in here smells super buttery to me like butter melted on the stove with vanilla extract mixed in. Amber is in the background and brings antiquity and maturity, I can't distinguish the sandalwood yet. The sea moss has a cologne aspect to it. Not a sharp cologne but a strong musky one. This isn't a masculine perfume by any means but that note is quite masculine by itself, with the other notes it is lending maturity and mystery to the perfume. It has a haunting way about it and seems to stand firm, like a pillar of rock rising from the ocean while vanilla and amber swirl and spray around it.

Dry: This is gorgeous. There is something very mature and noble about it, but the softness that surrounds it makes this maturity appealing. Like graceful wisdom and dignity on a beautiful young queen. Now that it is dry the amber and vanilla are the main notes. The ocean smells are still very present though and it is all so well blended. It seems kind of faint but I'll need to wear it awhile to determine throw and longevity. It seems to have a way about it, a sneaky way. I get a lovely whiff of it then when I try to smell it on myself it hides. I need a bottle of this. It is so gorgeous.

I had this imp for a long time without reviewing it, and gave it away without ever getting a bottle. I really enjoyed it for a long time and just sniffing it in the imp makes me really think that I need a bottle of it...

In Imp: A warm, truly gilded vanilla amber. It's a deep and complex scent that doesn't scream vanilla, resin, or floral, but rather is a gentle creamy mix of all the notes. It conjures up bright sunsets over golden waters and clear skies. Beautiful. (Note, I think it's the stargazer lily that reads as aquatic for me; I get the same note in Victoria. A definite favorite for me!)

Wet: Wet on skin it's a creamy vanilla with edgy musk. Some of the sandalwood is peeking through, also. It comes a little back down to earth once it's on skin; like it's coming down from some ethereal place and becoming mortal. The musk smells like skin musk to me, though it could just be that it's mixed with a few notes I'm not overly familiar with (orris and sea moss?)

Drydown: Amber becomes a bit more prominent alongside the skin musk; this is like an all star slideshow of my favorite notes. It's warm and comforting. The vanilla adds a sweet roundness to this scent, but I don't think it really sweetens it to the point that it actually smells like vanilla, if that makes any sense. It's definitely not foody or traditional vanilla that you'd find in a B&BW type product.

Verdict: I'm keeping this imp, and will probably get a bottle! I missed you, Lyonesse! Also as a side note it's kind of surprising/interesting to me how this scent evokes the same sunset-seaside imagery in a lot of other reviewers! Beth must have taken that picture and juiced it into this blend.

ZOMFG how gorgeous is this!!! It starts out very creamy warm vanilla on me, ding ding ding we has a winner!!

That is enough to sell me on it. Heh.

I sniff something green here too, and very light white flowers. It's not faint though, wow love this one.

Thoughts before testing: I love most of the notes listed here except for ambergris (which turns super powdery on my skin) and orris root (which I have no idea what it even is).

Wet: Extreme, pure, unadulterated powder. Oh ambergris, why do you hate me so?

Dry down: All powder, all the time.

Dry: And powder closes the act out.

Final thoughts: Ambergris has made it onto my "Notes of DOOOOOOOOOM" list officially.

Verdict: Lyonesse is not for me.

After two years and a hormonal change, I've got to rewrite my review of Lyonesse. Ambergris now works beautifully on my skin instead of turning to pure powder and Lyonesse is a thing of pure beauty. My bottle is fresh from the Lab and as such is slightly sharp. I think a little aging will do wonders for this, but it's getting plenty of love from me right now. It starts as a musky vanilla with that beautiful, slightly salty ambergris backbone and is lovely. It dries down to perfumey classic smelling musk with lovely hints of florals and ambergris and vanilla. Lyonesse is stunning.

Edited by Alethia

Imp: a little sharp; I'm probably overreacting to the sandalwood again.

On: The sharpness faded quickly. I'm getting vanilla and amber, some aquatic, and... butter? :huh?: Interesting. The whole scent has a sort of rich, smooth, gold feel to it that reminds me of butter.

Later: Still there. I think some of the lighter notes have faded because it's reminding me more of peanut brittle than butter.

More sweet/foody than I was hoping for, but still very nice. Not quite my speed though...

Edited by hellok80

A frimp from my last bottle order.

In the bottle? Vanilla! Wow, that is a LOT of vanilla!

Wet: Still, the vanilla and some flowers, evening flowers on a warm night.

Dry: Cookies. I smell like a vanilla-rich butter cookie. A Girl Scout Trefoil, straight from the oven. I want to smell delicious, just not this kind of delicious.

Back to the fruits and musks for me and this goes to swap!

I received this as a frimp from the lab, and dabbed it on my wrist without really thinking about it. Wow! I can't stop smelling myself, and I had to apply more. I've been searching for a good skin musk forever, and other brands always smell too synthetic and overpowering. On me lyonesse is mostly musk, the "skin but better" kind, with soft white florals and vanilla adding sophistication. Luckily this isn't soapy on me. I do get a little bit of a salty bite from the ambergis.

So lovely! I may need a full bottle.

Got this on a whim as part of my first 6 imps.

In the imp: Wow, that is some strong, warm vanilla. Kind of off-putting. I had my roommate sniff it and she also had a negative reaction.

Wet on skin: still lots of vanilla, with a bit of musk rising up to tone it down a bit.

Drydown: Vanilla and...cologne?

Dry: Delicious musky vanilla with a hint of the lily coming through. As others have said, the musk is very natural smelling, and it plays nicely with the vanilla. I'm not getting much of the aquatic notes on this one, but then my nose isn't 100% functional at the moment (stupid spring allergies). I can definitely see Lyonesse becoming a go-to scent. My roommate went from skeptical to "wow!" when she smelled this dry.

Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

A lovely vanilla & amber scent. After a few minutes, I can detect something faintly salty. I assume it's the sea moss. Combined with the snippet of poetic description, brings to mind a golden sea-strand with an island in the distance. (This may be due to my past obsession with Tolkien's writings, and his Elves.) Lyonesse is a good "starter" scent, in my opinion (it was one of mine): good for when you just want to smell nice, and don't have a theme going. You may need to apply it more than once a day for it to last, though.