Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A stirring yet gentle perfume. The scent of love and devotion mingled with an undercurrent of heart-rending sorrow. A bouquet of white roses, labdanum, and wild orchid.

Hello, orchids! They really stand out, on my skin. Lush orchids and the green, fresh scent of labdanum, made slightly somber by a touch of soft, powdery white rose. I keep thinking I smell a hint of pear, too. It smelled exactly the same an hour later, as when I applied it. It's really good!

I didn't like this a bit in the bottle. When I put it on, it surprised me with an initial strong evergreen smell that I really liked. (I assume that's the labdanum, which I understand to be the resin of an evergreen shrub.) For a few minutes it was fabulous, with the twined evergreen and rose.

But after less than five minutes it turned into pure rose. A nice enough, gentle rose, but nothing to write home about. Too bad, because at first I was pretty excited about this.

Not very long-lasting, either: It has completely faded from my wrist (I put it on about 2 hours ago), but is still sniffable on the inside of my elbow.

I'll keep it for a little while, but I think it'll end up in the swap pile.

When I first sniffed it, it almost made my eyes water. I found it so strong that I couldn’t distinguish any particular parts of this fragrance (I have a very sensitive nose, so strong aromas are sometimes a punch in the sinuses for me). Even when I applied a drop to my wrist, it was still very strong, and almost bitter – is that the labdanum? After about half an hour, though, it calmed down into a delicate, powdery, floral scent (the rose dominates it, but I can still smell the orchid), with just enough of the biting bitterness to give it a backbone. It’s romantic, and yet it’s practical. Also, once it’s calmed down a bit, it hangs around at that intensity for a while before it fades. I’ve really liked other scents before, but I absolutely love this one.

I never would have tried this on my own, but I was offered an imp as part of a swap, so I thought that I might as well just go ahead and try it.

First it starts as a sharp, sticky green note that almost like pine. This softens shortly thereafter and I can pick out the roses, which are slightly powdery but lovely.

To me, this smells tranquil and sorrowful without being a cool scent. It's feminine and softly floral without feeling "girly" or old ladyish. It's not my kind of scent so I don't plan on getting a bottle, but it certainly is beautiful.

:D I can't believe it...I was just about finished with my review regarding Magdalene..and suddenly..poof..all GONE... :D

Let me try this AGAIN :D :P :D

I ordered Magdalene unsniffed because my middle/confirmation name just happens to be Magdalena..nuff said.

Sniffed wet from bottle: I get a sharpness/woodiness that I assume must be the labdanum..following closely is some sort of floral..but all I get is the blast of the sharpness...

Applied wet on skin: Again..it is the sharpness..along with the floral..which I can now discern is more rose-like.

I don't know..but the sharpness reminds me of the pain of loss...and the rose/orchid reminds me of the love for a person one might lose..

Dry on skin: Basically the labdanum has softened a bit...somehow the sharp *woody-ness* sort of transitioned to a bit of a more herbal sharpness...with a really soft trickle/hint of mint..and the rose/orchid still blended. I can only smell the mint if I inhale deeply..it is like a faint tickle of it at the back of my throat.

The times I have worn this, the throw has been pretty good along with the lasting power; I only re-applied at the 6 hour mark.

Bottom line: This is a very evocative floral. Another reveiwer described this floral as not *girly*-I agree completely. It is a bit of a somber floral...beautiful in a bit of a sorrowful way..if that makes sense. I am very happy that I bought a 5ml of this. Funny...I wouldn't say Magdalene would be for everybody..but she is so compelling to me...I have to say I didn't want to stop wearing her.

Magdalene

In the imp: very powerful heady floral. Rose and a greenish floral that must be the orchid, with a sweet honey like note.

Wet on skin: wow! The orchid is awesome in this, blending with the rose and the sweet resin-honey note, it's a very sweet floral.

Dry on skin: this is really lovely, very feminine with a blend of heady and exotic florals-it reminds me of the tropical orchid garden at my aunts…and there's a sweet note in the background, sticky and resiny, like honey or amber. I'm assuming that the labanum although I have no idea what that smells like. It's really lovely, and has amazing throw, but I mustn't apply too much as it is very intense.

After a while: the orchid is still there but is pushed to the background by a scent I can only describe as 'honeyed rose' or resiny rose blooming on my skin. The rose in this a lot of oomph!

Verdict: this is another gorgeous blend that to me is just so feminine and mature, but sweet and sumptuous too. It's a heady rose mingled with a tropical green floral smell of orchids, with a sticky sweetness in the background. It's an almost overwhelming sweet floral, but that's no problem for me because I love florals, and I love the poignant 'honeyed rose' smell in this. This blend smells wonderful and womanly, yet very powerful-it's not 'sad' but it does have emotion.

In the bottle: Herbs and spices! Where are these roses and orchids everyone's talking about? Like a very strong men's cologne.

First application: Ah, there you are, orchid. Still not getting the rose thing, though. There's still a little punch of gingery-ness to it.

1 hour: Okay, roses are here now... but not fresh ones. Dried, like in a good-quality sachet. Honestly I can't associate this perfume with Mary Magdalene... in my mind I imagine an old sinful woman who enjoyed the hell out of it all, sitting in a parlor and scandalizing her granddaughters :P Maybe Ninon de L'Enclos.

Overall: A little too heavy for my taste, but I'm pleased with my first BPAL purchase ever. This stuff LASTS, though... I wear a plastic watch at my job and the fragrance from my wrist remains on there for literally days. It doesn't have much "throw"... I have to get right up to my wrist to smell it but it's a lovely languorous fragrance.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Acrid!

In the imp/bottle: This made me want to gag. :P

On skin, wet: Oy. I don't know what it is -- labdanum, maybe? -- but this is awful to me. It smells like.... cat pee, dirt and dirty socks.

On skin, dry: No change. After an hour, I had to wash it off, because it was starting to leave a sharp, acrid taste in my throat.

Conclusion: This is most certainly not for me. I don't think I'd ever tried a scent with labdanum, so perhaps that note is not for me. :D

Edited by Aredhel

She's a very light, white smell. To be honest, it really doesn't smell like orchids or roses on me, but more like magnolias. Very womanly, perfumey, strong floral. She's a lovely scent, but probably not for me. But I will enjoy the imp.

Mmmmm, orchid!

On wet and in the imp, this is mostly roses. As it dries, the gorgeous, sweet, creamy orchid--one of my favorite notes--comes out. The labdanum adds a thickness and a bit of darkness, which keeps the scent from becoming too "flowery."

This is lovely, but I think I like Queen Mab/Phantom Queen better for orchid scents. However, I will use up and enjoy my imp.

Wet the orchid not is quite intense, along with the labdanum. I can barely smell the rose.

It's a strong and delicious floral, with orchid in the leading role.

I love it! :P

In Bottle: This was a freebie from the lab that I never would have tried on my own. The roses are light and non-powdery. The orchid smells sweet, but the labdanum keeps it from being too florally.

Wet: I really like this! It's a light floral. Orchid is my friend. I was worried that the roses would turn to powder on me, but they are hanging in there, in the background.

Dry: All of the notes blend together wonderfully on my skin. It's light--almost too light. I guess I'll have to slather. I'm hanging on to this imp. I also think this would be a good room fragrance (and I hate it when my house smells like flowers).

This was my very first BPAL oil, a 5ml of it gifted to me by a friend for my birthday (I'm assuming because I've gone by Magdalene online for quite some time now). One whiff and I was completely hooked.

in the bottle: just picked roses, in full bloom.

wet on skin: the roses warm up a bit, after coming in contact with my skin. And they soften up a bit, becoming a bit dry. Like dried roses, pressed in an old book.

dry: this is probably one of the only florals I've ever really liked. Probably because it has a dark cast to it, it's not all sunshine and daisies. It's a sorrowful floral, funeral roses.

Oh my...this imp is a first for me, in the sense that while the fragrance of Magdalene is just overwhelmingly beautiful, this is the first imp of many I have tried that seems to change my mood. It makes me reflective, and it brings wistful, almost sorrowful feelings to the surface. I don't know if it's the rose or the orchid, but since I've had it on today I have been thinking a lot about my mother, whom I lost in March and miss terribly. It is funereal in it's own manner. Maybe because her favorite Biblical woman was Mary Magdalene, and I admire her too. This scent just conjures up loss, wistfulness and if it could make a sound it would be a sigh. This is a perfect scent for when I want to be reflective and inside myself. I am stunned that this Magdalene has that effect on me, but there you have it. Emotionally, it is very powerful.

On first sniff of this I thought, "Dirt? Uh oh."

I really didn't think I'd like this one. I thought maybe the dirt smell was something like patchouli, hmmm nope, no patchouli here.

As it dried the dirt/composting plants smell went away and now I smell roses. hmmm

I have no idea what labdanum smells like, so I don't know how it contributes to the overall scent. Maybe it acccounts for that dirt smell at the beginning.

The orchid makes it slightly sweet for a moment. Overall it smells like aging roses. If you like rose, you will probably like this. I don't think it quite competes well enough with the other rose scents that i know i love, so it'll probably end up in a swap. oh well

In bottle: Wild orchid - is that the slightly spicy floral? It is very strong in this blend, whatever it is - rather green and slightly spicy, although not nearly so strong as carnations. I can't even smell the rose in the bottle. These aren't bright, bubbly florals; they are weighed down and sad, like a cloudy day. Mournful.

On me: Gentle white roses and white orchids. It is a delicate, innocent scent; again full of sorrow but also trust. This is sad, but it isn't despair. Slightest hint of spiciness remains; I wonder what it is? I suppose it could be the resin scent of labdanum; offhand I don't know how that smells.

magdalene.jpg

She is so nice, this Magdalene. There is still a whiff of floral whore perfume about her and a heart of gold. A very sincere fragrance, bolstered by roses and a soft but menthol-like note playing in the background. Heartbreakingly pretty for the white flower lover.

In the imp and upon application, this had a really strong, kinda weird smell about it that I am guessing is the labdanum. However, as it dries down it becomes a beautiful orchid scent. The roses are there, but they are in the background for me. A lovely, soft, sad white floral.

An imp from the wonderful modesty_blaise. Thank you!

I feel bad saying this being that I got this as a gift, but oh my! I don't want to put it on me! At first sniff this smells like the breath of someone who heavily chain smokes and was having a few cold ones... and spilled it all over themselves as well. Thinking that maybe I was having a wierd sense of smell day, I tried again a few days later. Nope. Drunken chain smoker breath. Ugh. Sadly, I can't bring myself to test this, so I am going to pass this one along as well.

Magdalene, from "Sin and Salvation"

First scent, the orchid is overwhelming... as it dries, more of the labdanum comes out, but I can barely smell the rose.

I really thought I was going to like this one for everyday wear, but the feeling I get from it is funereal; overwhelming sadness, but wisdom gained from experience. The impression I get from this is a beautiful, experienced older woman, maybe a widow, who spends her days and nights in sophisticated pursuits. I'm still too girlish for this one; maybe in ten years.

Oh, I wish that I could like a scent called "Magdalene," since she is one of my Bible heroines, but this one really isn't working out for me. I think that it's the labdanum that is so intense; straight from the bottle I don't smell any florals, but rather a waxy, incense-y type smell. It's a somber scent that reminds me of an ancient cathedral, while simultaneously making me sneeze (actually, if they were using incense there, an ancient cathedral would most likely make me sneeze). After it's been on my skin a bit, the florals come out, and there's a very pretty undertone. I can imagine this smelling lovely on someone else, but it's too intense for me.

Ancientgirl

Magdalene started out pretty promising on me. It smelled green and spicy. I agree with those who likened this to the smell of a greenhouse. Warm blooms and greenery. Then after about fifteen minutes, the green herbs start to take on a soapy edge and I start to worry...

Magdalene turns into a vicious soapy white floral. Very perfumey and very headache inducing. I can't even pick out a specific floral scent or the usual sharpness of rose, it's just perfumey and overwhelming. I wanted to like this just for the name, but it'll be one for my swap pile.

This was a green and white floral. Very powerful, and, although I really wanted to love it (largely because i had recently read Song of the Magdalene) I just couldn't bear it in the end.

Anything with roses in it gets a tryout with me.

Origin: Bought in an LJ sale.

In the Bottle: Hmm...this isn't a pleasant smell for me. Either the orchid or labdanum is very acrid.

Wet: Well, for once I'm not sure what to think. The roses aren't really blooming but at least the acrid-ness is lessened.

Drydown: Ugh. This turns into a very faint baby powder on me, with no throw. I'm glad this doesn't happen with my favorite rose scents.

Verdict: Off to the swap pile.

I feel bad, but here it is: I adore both rose and orchid, but the labdanum killed this blend for me. Instant headache from sniffing the imp. Sharp, acrid, and overpowering incense. I went ahead and applied it, hoping for the best. It felt like it was irritating my throat and lungs. It did calm a little on drydown, but I just can't get behind the labdanum. Maybe I'm allergic to it or something, I've never gotten that choking/wheezing sensation from perfume before. Luckily I have many other lovely BPAL florals I can wear. :P