Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Leo

LEO

July 23 - August 22

From the Astrological Oils collection...

lime / heliotrope / juniper

orange / sandalwood

From the bottle I actually find this very calming...not what I would have expected in an oil for a fire sign.

On...slightly sweet, fruity. Almost like the smell of Wild Berry Skittles. I want to lick my arm (is this bad? :P ). Very playful, fun...it makes me smile for no apparent reason. It also makes me want to go buy some Skittles now.

After a few minutes I smell a bit of a floral blend, it is subtle and very sweet...definately a scent I have encountered before, but I can't recall from what. Still quite sweet and yummy.

The longer I wear this, the yummier it smells.

Initial Sniff: Delicious! My nose is not great, but I smell citrus, berry, spices, and sandalwood. Sweet and spicy.

Wearing: I LOVE this. This scent is GOLDEN. That is the best word that I can think of to describe it. Elizabeth has done a great job of making this scent evoke the best Leo characteristics. It is confident, warm, powerful, giving, and showy. The drydown on me was not really sweet at all, the sandalwood (I think that's what it is!) really came to the forefront and made me smell like a rich (and benevolent) hippie.

Final Impressions: I must have this scent available for my use at all times!!!! It is just that fantastic. :P

Edited by paperdoll

As a Leo I knew I had to try this but I was worried about not liking it, having tried Soular Therapy's Leo scent and finding it overwhelming and headache inducing - far too much citrus packed into it, basically. I needn't have worried; the lime and orange give Leo just enough tang but they're tempered beautifully by the sandalwood. I wore this to work today and walked around with my head held high and my hair down and unruly in typical lion's mane fashion, and felt damn good in my skin, all in all. :P

MMmm. Sandalwood and lime. Royal.

Thank all merciful deities that this works on me, and that I love it. I was beginning to be disheartened. Tarot: The Sun made me nauseas, as did Sol's wet stages. The prototype of the Lion I have (thank you Tygher & Salice) made me want to weep with how much it did not work.

This, tho. This is incredible. Sandalwood and lime are the primary notes I'm getting ahold of, although I'm likely also smelling the heliotrope and juniper and not recognizing it.

I get a sense of a bright yellow scent, amorphous but certainly with a commanding presence. Powerful, noble. I can see a King smelling like this. Imagine that, heh.

For me, it's delightfully masculine although I can see how it would go different on women. I just love it. Of course... how could I not? It's Leo!

Why does the citrus not stay put on me? Oh well, here's what I thought:

Wet, it has kind of a "generic BPAL" smell, although when you think hard about it it's citrusy and woody and very nice.

Dry, it turns a warm and gold and dusty and a little powdery. It smells exactly like when a big, friendly, orange, fluffy male cat headbutts your face with cat kisses - you know the "cat forehead" smell? It's the best way I can describe this, and it is very comforting.

After an hour or two, it just went straight baby powder and dust. :P Maybe because I'm a Libra and I was fucking around with the wrong sign?

I'm going to try this again on a less humid day and see what happens, though. More later!

Edited by ladylatemar

The orange was prominent in the top notes, and as this dried, I could smell the lime and heliotrope. The sandalwood was very subtle and this was well blended. I don't really care for orange so I was glad to get past that and into the muted version. All in all, this was a lovely scent. I'm not a Leo, but I've been dabbling in other signs for the hell of it. I think this is a keeper.

Pleasantly clean and refreshing - sandalwood soapiness with a hint of lime LifeSavers. (I could see Skittles too.) I don't normally care for the "candy" scents, but this one's candy-like qualities are subtle enough that I'm finding it very pleasant. It seems to be fading fast, unfortunately, but I could see myself purchasing more of it. How convenient that Leo is actually my sign!

The lovely paperdoll decanted an imp of Leo for me. :P I had to try it as I adore heliotrope.

First Impression: Sweet lime and juniper. An interesting and lovely combination.

Second Impression: The orange and the heliotrope go to work as the initial hit of juniper vapors begin to subside. It's sweet and juicy. I love it. The sandalwood is very subtle, keeping the sweetness' feet on the ground.

Final Analysis: I'm ill favored by lemon but it seems that I'm lime's good graces. Heliotrope is one of my favorite notes and it sings in this blend.

Sidebar: Some Leo layered with coconut would yield a similar version to Lady Latemar's glorious Chaos Theory XXI.

I bought a 5 ml bottle during the Great BPAL Purge, as the elements in the fragrance made it seem like something that would agree with me, plus I have a Leo Moon.

In the bottle and on my skin, Leo is very lemony and light. It's a warm fragrance, not particularly fiery or strong as I had expected. This is an oil that I absolutely love when it's wet, but merely like as it dries, if that makes any sense. Because of the extreme citrus, the oil fades rather quick on my skin.

Still, I am happy with my 5 ml bottle and will likely use it up, though not right away.

-doreen

I absolutely love this scent! It is an exciting and almost erotic blend of bright lime dimmed by sandalwood. I believe that I can catch an edge of the juniper and heliotrope on the edges of Leo. I don't get a hint of orange which is great because I am not a fan of orange scents or oranges in general.

This scent is bold and enticing. I think it is a bit too bright and aggressive for my personality and wardrobe but I hope I can convince my partner to wear it!

Leo also has great staying power. I could pick it up fairly easily for about 5 hours. I am really sad that this scent is discontinued.

at first: a sharp lemon. some spices. very interesting.

on: still sharp. i think i'm getting orange and sandalwood.

2.5 hours later: much lighter. the floral elements are coming out more. vaguely sweet.

4 hours later: i think i'm mostly smelling juniper now.

6 hours later: powdery and light, but warm, too.

overall: i don't think i'd wear this as a perfume, but i'll definitely be using it when reflecting on myself, since its my ascendant.

Leo:

Let me preface this review by stating that I am a Leo. I had a gut feeling that this blend would be perfect for me. How right I was. :P

Wet: Starts off very citrussy, very lemony.

During drydown, sandalwood comes through and balances out the citrus with the heliotrope.

Longterm wear: Gods, this is gorgeous, and very "me". I love it. I don't get a lot of the "whoa, Juniper!" smell that I was expecting, as when Juniper is in a scent I can usually detect it first and foremost. It's complex and well-blended, and I love it. :D

CLEAN yes especially after trying saturn.

in the vial, fresh off the tree limes.

wet it is limes and oranges.

as it dries it becomes a sweet citrussy salad w/ a bouqet of spring flowers sitting beside it.

this is a fresh, clean, sweet blend very nice

In bottle: Lime gives this a candy flavor; it adds the slight sour-and-sweet of sugar candy with the sour powder sprinkled on top. Juniper is also very strong; it makes for a very zesty fragrance. The orange, combined with the lime, make the citrus quite powerful.

On me: Sandalwood is drawn out as lime disappears almost instantly. This is very light and faint on me. It is sandalwood with citrus accents and juniper deepening the wood notes. If the scent could be stronger this would be wonderful.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Sweet. I'm not sure what notes I'm detecting; it's nicely well-blended, but it's definitely sweet.

Wet: Ah, sandalwood, juniper and lime. Interesting.

Drydown: Oh, this is bright and pretty. The juniper and lime fade to the background while the sandalwood serves as a base. The heliotrope and orange is lovely.

Final thoughts: This is a lovely blend. Very, very nice.

From the Celestials swap circle!

I went right for Leo when I got this package. I have been dying to try this. The notes listed above: lime / heliotrope / juniper / orange / sandalwood are very intriguing to me, a strange mixture of fruits and wood that I can't help but want to try.

I have a thing for Leos, see. I know I should know better by now (no offense, Leos), but I can't resist them. Maybe it's their hair -- those thick golden manes that they toss around so carelessly. Robert Plant's a Leo -- I've always had a thing for him. The way they strut around like they own the place and then make a joke and give you a wink. God, Leos are hot. Even when I know they're bad for me, I can't stop looking at them. Even though I know they're going to say, "Hey baby, I love you, but..." I have to hang around them and stroke their hair and listen to their jokes just like a wide-eyed groupie. Fortunately I don't know any right now, or my bf would be pretty upset with me!

But back to the oil...this is a very compelling fragrance. In the vial, I can't stop sniffing it -- the lime and orange and that glistening golden cherry-like glitter of heliotrope give it a bright, jewel-like first impression. I can see a garden of bright green, orange, golden and red jewels when I smell this. It begins to soften into what smells very much like copal, to me. I LOVE copal. It doesn't quite go powdery on me, it's a very golden, soft wood, slightly resinous smell. I don't know if it's in here but I feel like it is...it could be the sandalwood having that effect. There's just the slightest hint of spice as well. I can see where this might go powdery on others, and it fades pretty quickly, but it is gorgeous and unique. The drydown does remind me a little of the drydown on Greed -- at least the heliotrope and copal part of it. Leo is a little lighter and there's a slight lingering hint of citrus and green.

This is one of the best things I've ever smelled! I'd do anything to get a bottle. :P Anything, I tell you!! Why oh why wasn't I paying attention when these were available?

Edited by sarada

Oh this is just horrible. Terrible. Feh. Send all of yours directly to me right now!!

Seriously, this is beyond gorgeous. Beyond. I just want to fill a tub with it and wriggle around n there. It is soooo yummy. So yummy. The best citrus Beth has ever made. I think it's the lime that makes it. Or the Heliotrope.

Though I'm not a Leo I'd be willing to lie about my birthday if it meant I could claim Leo as my own.

First sniff: Lemon and mint? Lime and mint? Some kind of citrus and mint. It’s very bright, and decidedly showy.

Wearing: No, it’s not mint, it’s juniper – which always smells like pine on me. Lime and pine. Interesting combination, and still very very bright.

Leo: July 23 - August 22

From the celestial swap.

This one started off very sharply with a strong floral and citrus scent. Maybe lime is the fruit. After it faded, It smelled sweet and creamy. Possibly blood orange? After the strength leaves, this is a very nice scent on me.

In the bottle: my first thought ecualuptus but quickly start to notice that it is the individual notes creating this trick. I now see the juniper, lime and something else.

On wet: Wow I am getting a lot of orange suddenly with some of the sandalwood and sharper scent of the juniper. Wow this is invigorating.

Drydown: It becomes more balanced as it sits though the orange still sits slightly above the other scents it is really nice. The orange is really interesting since it smells like when you first stick your finger in to peel an orange that crisp slightly sour true scent of oranges not as much like the juice. Which just blends so nicely with sandalwood.

Overall: I am so bummed that I love this scent since I got it to give as a gift for a Leo friend (had to try it though first :P ) I am not a Leo sun sign but do have it as my raising sign so still love the idea but since I have my sun sign its hard to complain to much. This just is such a beautiful Leoine scent not in a feral animalistic nature but more in the gold light shining on the lions glorious mane (on stage or the Sahara) that a Leo can appreciate.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

I think I've identified one of my no-go notes: heliotrope.

I get a bit of a vanilla-y/ozone scent from Leo, but what I *really* get is a headache.

I get lime, orange, sandalwood and cinnamon.

I have imagined it more energetic and hot, but as it dries down the lime really comes out.

It's a summer perfume, but not exactly how I imagined Leo.

In the bottle: Lime, juniper, and a hint of sandalwood

First on: All lime, with a touch of heliotrope. It's tingling on me from the juniper though. It's a very bright and happy scent. I feel all bouncy. :P

Drydown: It's faded a lot, but it's mostly sandalwood, with a hint of lime and a bit of juniper. It's not so bouncy anymore, but is the sophisticated sort of thing you want to sniff twice. Not at all what I would have expected from a Leo scent, but a perfect way to describe us. :D

leo.jpg

Turpentine. I think this must be full of herbs associated with The Lion, but still it's a bit much. I can see Lime, Juniper, and Sandalwood that's an apt description, but it all combines in my head as turpentine. Granted I didn't have much to try and this is most probably much different if you have enough to get a good nose full. I also know this one has been out (and discontinued) for quite a while, and if it has lime in it, lime is not improved with age. But I know what I am smelling now, and as I first encountered it now, there is only one word for Leo: turpentine.

Edited by olympia301

I really love lime, so I was excited to try this one out. The previous review of turpentine made me pretty nervous though.

First on, sweet lime lifesavers and cold menthol-like juniper. The combination has a sparkling quality to it, but I almost wish that this was just a lime single note. Thankfully, the juniper fades quickly after only about five minutes. Then Leo is all sweet lime candies and powdery sandalwood. It's not spicy at all on me and I'm not getting any orange or heliotrope that I can pick out. Just limes and soft sandalwood, which is a surprisingly lovely combination.

After an hour, there's just a hint of something faintly powdery left on my wrist where I applied Leo. It does fade quickly, but I like the lime-sandalwood combo while it lasts. I might pick up a full bottle of this was ever released again. :P