Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ridiculous! Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom.

I mostly get Fruit Loops out of this one. I accidentally dribbled some oil onto the outside of the imp and it got onto the label. So the outside of the imp smelled like Fruit Loops concentrate. On me that's more subtle and there's just a hint of something slightly spicy, which I assume is the white pepper.

Vial: Whee! Kumquat-pepper!

On me: A bitter, citrus-rind scent with a hit of pepper. It really does smell like kumquat. In the drydown, the tea comes out a bit; normally tea notes don't work on me, but this one behaves itself very nicely. It eventually warms and sweetens a little. This would be a good summer scent or a working scent for when I need something to perk me up and help me concentrate.

In the bottle:

Sweet and orange-y:

Wet: Orange sherbert with a faint hint of pepper

After 5 minutes: The white tea starts to come out, but it's still orange sherbert.

In conclusion: orange sherbert. And getting more orange sherberty as time goes on.

I don't violently object to it but it doesn't grab me either. For the swap pile, methinks!

In the imp: Orange sherbert. With orange fanta on the side. Yuck.

Wet: Orange sherbert, happily the fanta has left the building.

Dry: Fruit. Tangy, tropical fruit punch. Slightly peppery. Very fresh.

12 hours later: There is a fruity, peppery zing to my skin. It is slightly tangy - not unlike kiwi, so I suspect it may be kumquat. Pleasant and fresh.

Let me just say that kumquat obviously smells way better in a perfume than the real thing tastes. I remember trying one as a kid and it was just so awfully cloyingly sweet...maybe it was a candied kumquat? I could swear the things were fresh. Anyway, Tweedledee is actually sort of nostalgic for me because it reminds me of this (now-discontinued) atomic-orange-something shower gell I used to use in high school, and did I ever love that scent. I don't really get much white pepper or tea at all--maybe the white pepper gives it an extra zing--but it's juicy and refreshing without any in-your-face bitterness. :yum:

Very Odd.. Got this as an Imp with a recent order. Wet, it's very citrus-y but when it dries... I think it's kind of spicy, but the hubby claims it smells like an Easter Basket: sugary, slightly chocolaty and an odor of Easter grass....

Hm, putting it on I'm immediately taken apart with the citrus. The imp is a bit aged, and usually those notes decrease over time but it feels as though the thickest park of a mandarin or some type of citrus peel, biting into it. There's a bit of bite to it, pepper? It could also be musk. As it dries down something creamy at least by my nose is entering the mix. Ah! The creaminess is from the orange blossom now that I look at the notes, I recognize this note from Genevieve, L'artise diable. All in all, a really not bad note. It reminds me of Genevive to the T without the mint note that comes from it. I say if I didn't have the Le, or when it's gone I may go to this for a subsitute. I may keep the imp to remind me.

In the bottle: Like many reviewers have said before, total fruity cereal vibe with some buttery notes. More like fruit loops than fruity pebbles, if you're well-versed in the subject of children's "breakfast" cereals. ;)

Wet: The first thing I can smell is the kumquat/orange combo. Slighty spicy in the background which I obviously attribute to the white pepper. Definitely a light spice, not over powering in the least. I can kind of smell a little bubblegum in there somewhere, oddly enough. White tea is peeking out from behind everything else lending a very fresh feel to the whole mix.

Dry: Everything blends together so nicely on my skin, I have a hard time distinguishing each individual note. It's a beautiful, citrusy, very faintly pepper and white tea blend that is just lovely! As time goes on, the white tea shows up a bit more and I love that.

Verdict: MUST buy a bottle. Or three. ;)

I had such high hopes for this, every single note seemed a winner.

Unfortunately I'm learning that pepper does not love my skin. Well, black pepper does, white or pink pepper? Not so much. Every blend I've tried with those two ended up making me feel kind of high-strung and unconfortable.

This is way too sharp, all kumquat and pepper, with maybe a faint trace of tea and no orange blossom at all :(

Much too sharp and bubbly to be me *off to swap*

I think this smells very delicious, very sweetly orange with a bit of bite. I smell the pepper strongly in the imp and it backs off to become more fruity on my skin. My imp came from eBay, so not sure of the age.

I kept sniffing my hand, trying to figure out what Tweedledee reminded me of and it hit me: BlissSpa's Blood Orange + White Pepper. This is one of my favorite scents and I'm delighted to have found something so similar in a perfume oil. It also reminds me of the Body Shop satsuma scent.

This is one I'll definitely be getting in a big bottle, as I can see wearing it all summer long.

Edited to Add:

I bought a half-bottle from the forum sales and it came with a sticker indicating it was from 2006, so it was interesting to smell it against my imp. I smell something almost rubbery in the aged oil that's in the bottle and when I first put it on my skin, then it dries down into something much darker than my imp does. I'd say that the imp smells yellow-orange and the bottle smells orange-brown. It's obviously the same fragrance, but they're very different from one another.

Edited by MonkeysInk

It's just Fruity Pebbles for me, from the imp to the fade-out. It actually reminds me a great deal of Fae - plain, super-sweet, fruity, dry.

I'm sad. This sounded really nice!

I should have known this sounded too good to be true (for me.)

At very first sniff, I got a little of the pepper, but everything else was drowned out by the orange. Citruses are by far one of the things my skin amps most, and for whatever sad reason, they always turn medicinal and sharp on me.

I get a strong, medicinal/cleaning product and astringent orange out of this on drydown with a hint of the promised spicy sweetness underneath. Had to wash off, way too painful.

Ridiculous sums this up perfectly! Opening the imp, I was greeted with the popularly mentioned fruit cereal smell, but there was a gentle spice hiding in the background. I couldn't wait to get it on to see if this morphed. Wet, the spice still hangs out in the background and the kumquat really dances around, but as it dries the pepper really comes out to play. It is more pepper than fruit once it fully dries, but I am absolutely THRILLED with how this smells. I hope to own a bottle of this someday; I can imagine wearing it year round.

I've owned this imp for quite some time and for the life of me don't know why I haven't tried it sooner! I've been wanting a good candy scent that doesn't turn sour or disappear on me forever and this might be it! *crosses fingers*

This is exactly what other describe: fruity breakfast cereal! Though it does smell like Frootloops I keep thinking of Trix. Anyhow, its sweeet. Also could smell like orage sweettarts. I'm really enjoying this!

It does calm down though and begin to take on a richer but slightly less sweet scent. A thicker note. Perhaps the pepper and kumquat. But the wonderful orange sweetness still lingers.

I'm going to give this a full test day but right now I'm wanting a bottle of this baby!

In the Vial: I was frimped a sniffy of Tweedledee with just a tiny driblet of oil in it, so my impressions of it in the vial might be a little lacking! It's crisp, fruity, slightly sweet tea.

Wet: The orange blossom starts to come out and the kumquat gets stronger, making this more fruit than tea. I'm getting a hint of the white pepper, too.

Dry: Much more orange now! But definitely orange blossom versus juicy orange fruit - there's a soft, fresh floral quality to it. There's almost a watery feel to it, but I think that must be the tea, which I can't exactly smell in and of itself anymore. The white pepper is slooooowly gaining steam and giving it a bit of spiciness.

An Hour Later: Hmm. It's gotten kind of... sour. Like the way blends with milk notes go sour on me. I'm thinking this is the kumquat. It's strange.

Overall: It was pretty nice before it turned sour, but still not quite my thing.

In the bottle: Creamy, peppery, with a juicy freshness

Wet: Froot Loops! Creamy, fruity, with a chemical-y zing. The citrus comes forward in a floral way, and the pepper tickles my nose...the whole thing smells a bit like a peppery creamsicle.

Dry:: The white tea and orange blossom notes pop forward, with a little citrus in the background. The pepper is still there, but it's very subtle.... it end up in this soft-powdery-citrus-floral-"what's that sharp note?"

LOVE. This is destined to be a go-to favorite for summer.

In the vial: I have no idea what kumquat is supposed to smell like, but I have to say that I'm positively surprised by Tweedledee. It's fruity yet fresh and light yet spicy. I'm really looking forward to wearing this.

On my wrist: This is a really swinging scent, fruity but with a kick. I can't decide whether the sweetness goes to the artificial side or not quite yet.

After drying down, this scent is chipper like kiwi. It's a funny and fresh scent, good for a hot summer day. It actually reminds me of pear cider a bit, but not quite that sweet.

Lots of kumquat and a splash of orange soda? It smells like Cheshire Cat's cousin, only less interesting. I suppose that's fitting. My skin doesn't eat this like it does Cheshire Cat, though. I don't know why my skin is translating the orange blossom as orange soda, but there's a definite hint of carbonation in this that I don't care for.

All in all, it's not bad, but it won't be a bottle purchase for me.

Some kind soul on the forum recommended Tweedledee when I said that I was looking for a scent with orange in it and I am so thankful for that rec! It was the very first BPAL scent that I tried on and I'm so happy that it turned out so well--I'm still working my way through my first order of imps, but I've already worn Tweedledee twice!

It is nicely citrus in the bottle and after wearing it for a little while it began to take on more of a sugary, cake-like scent. It has a very sweet, fresh scent. I would not have expected to be such a fan of an "edible" perfume! Part of me wishes this had a bit more staying power as I've found myself re-applying this when I headed home for lunch. But, I'd MUCH rather be putting more on instead of running to the sink to wash off something that was too overpowering! While I'm not certain if this will wind up as my "signature" scent I can easily see this as being the one I reach for on mornings when I'm running a bit late and don't have time to put a lot of thought into perfume. I think this will be my go-to "safe" perfume that I can put on and know that it will smell nice and pleasant but not worry about knocking anyone over!

This is certainly a scent that I'm going to be scouring the forum for "more things that smell like this!"

I like Tweedledee, but only applied with a very light hand. I over-applied this morning and had to wash it off with rubbing alcohol an hour later due to the overpowering smell of orange gel car air freshener that enveloped me, seemingly growing stronger and stronger with every passing minute. It doesn't smell particularly fresh or juicy to me--I wish it were a more pure, bright citrus; the kumquat seems quite bitter, particularly blended with the pepper note, and the orange blossom seems to soften the citrus sharpness so it smells a bit blunt and muted to me.

Oh this is simply lovely! And I say simply because this seems like a much less-complicated BPAL scent than I normally like. This is almost a creamy orange creamsicle, and I simply CANNOT quit smelling my arm! I love this scent, and it would even be very appropriate my youngest DD (age 9) to wear. Quite a keeper!

I see the fruit cereal everybody talks about...like Fruit Pebbles and cake. Orange candles.

This is all from smelling real close though, it has absolutely no throw on me. I would want a bottle if it had any throw or lasting power with my skin!

I've seen this scent described as "Fruit loops" a lot and I'd be inclined to agree but what distinguishing it from just a fruity smell is the pepper I think. It grounds the other notes as it dries. A bit of a tendency to smell too much like a new car if over applied I think BUT very uplifting due to the citrusy notes.

i really, really wanted to love this scent. from the notes in the description, it sounded like absolute heaven. in the bottle, it smells nice and fresh and fruity and almost kind of effervescent and i love it. but on my skin it turns into something that smells like cloyingly sweet, slightly-off orange kool-aid. such a tragedy. darn this skin chemistry! i imagine it can smell wonderful on other people, though. lucky devils. :)