Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

I was really excited about this one. In the bottle, it smells a bit like my oatmeal and milk shower gel. Very creamy and light and natural smelling. On my skin, however, the almonds dominate everything else. Almonds also have the obnoxious habit of smelling like play-doh on me after about 10 minutes and it doesn't go away.

It smells good but it's not really wowing me.

It smells like my soap, which is nice. But it has no throw, and it makes my brother's nose itch.

I like it, but I think I'll be happy with just an imp of it.

Mmmmm....fae food.

'Very almondy in the bottle (drool...). Wet I can detect the honey, slightly green, and creamy milk.

My first imp of this I swapped away without giving her much chance. It faded quickly, and I lost my patience. This time around (must have a 5 ml to slather!), she reminds me of a satiated O; it is a delicious, sweet, second skin scent, but is much less overtly sexual. It is unlike any "milk and honey" scent I have ever tried.

:P

P.S.

I think she is a great alternative to Snow White if you can't find any.

Edited by lookingglass

I got this in a swap. It's part of my milky-creamy scent tesing rampage in the wake of my Milk Moon love.

In the imp, it's not as creamy smelling as I thought. It's all almond to me, with some kind of underlying scent that I can't identify. But if i'm not straining to sniff all the notes, it's just like almond extract.

On my skin, it's still quite almond-y, but amplified is the previously unidenifiable underpinning. It's kind of like the smell in my oatmeal box, minus cardboard. I think it's the grains I'm smelling. It smells like a honey oat body scrub I once had. The scent is creamy but not milky creamy. I'm getting no milk from this at all. This isn't bad, but I think of it as more of an underlayer of scent than as a primary smell. This reminds me of a body lotion or bath gel smell. It's a light scent. It's definitely there, I can smell it, but it's not particularly intrusive. I don't want to call it a bland smell, mild is perhaps the best description. It does remind me of porridge.

As it dries, it starts to take on faint tinge of play-doh, not strong, but present. It kind of enhances the bath gel/body lotion feel I'm getting from this. It's inspiring me to make some body scrub.

It's a pleasant scent, but not too exciting, though I'd love it as a lotion. I've already swapped my Dana away. It can be a gift offering to someone else.

Sadly, this one didn't work for me. It was all almonds, and as nice as the scent of almonds *sounds* to me, it simply doesn't work. Pure almond, in the vial, wet on skin, and dry. It also did turn a bit powdery on my skin (as most scents are wont to do), so another detractor for me. Not only was this pure almont, but it was faiiiiint, as if to smell it I would have to put my nose directly on my skin and inhale deeply. Lightly sweet, this just doesn't do anything for me. I wore it in direct contrast to the single note vanilla that is my staple, and marveled at the richness of the vanilla. It's already been swapped. Oh well! Glad to see this does work for so many other people. I guess I'm just looking for the really unusual scents here, and this one isn't it (for me).

I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to, though it's nice enough.

From bottle and wet, it's almost pure almonds. Almost like almond oil hand cream. It has a slight baby-powder note as well, which does recede as it dries. I'm not getting distinct honey, just some sweetness. It's also very light, which lends that just-from-the-shower kind of feel.

Honestly, I can't find anything to hate here, but I'm just not floored, ya know?

Finally got my hands on an imp. For an available catalogue scent, this one seems especially horded :P

In the bottle, it's Almond Extract.

On my skin, creamy almond honey oaty. Goes a little powdery, but I really like it. Definitely a wristsniffer

Wish it lasted longer/was stronger. I have -- perhaps? -- found a nice, light, tasty summer scent.

In the Bottle: Screaming almondy marzipan. Which I hate intensely, this is a personal opinion though, the scent itself is spot on.

Dry: Lighter, calmer marzipan.

Swap!!!

Wow. In the imp, this was pure almond and I got nervous because of the way Black Phoenix went totally ALMOND (all caps because that's it was!) on my skin and gave me a headache. But, I tried it anyway and the almond is in the background, so I'm pleased. :P Unfortunately, it smells like Play-doh instead. :D Why the hell am I getting that salty play-doh smell? :D Bother. Perhaps this one will go on to swaps.

Grain, sweet almond and milky vanilla.

Whenever I wear this I get the impression of something that's lily white but a little fuzzy, or lacy around the edges. Dana's got a mischevious kick to her - and sometimes, I think of her as a distant cousin to Alice, though without the spiciness.

Very nice. I've got 2.5mls in stock, which I'll break out again in the spring. After that, though, I don't think I'll be replenishing since Alice has a tendency to tackle anything that smells "white" - Dana included.

Smells like a doll I had when I was a child. Some sort of sweet cherry scent. I think it's almond, though. I almost always associate cherry with almond.

This, along with Dorian, are my top two favourite catalogue scents, from all I have tried thus far (and that has been quite a lot!) :D

And loving this one has made me, who lives in a world of beauty, just like the Dana O Shee, and who has heard their unearthly music and spotted a fae a time or two, very, very happy! :P

Re-reading the description, tonight when I have lost sleep due to stress that another person has caused me, I also can identify with the Dana O'Shee's vengeful side. A little Black Cat may be coming out to play, tonight. :D

I get almond extract from this. Which is great--I love the smell of almond extract. I also like the fact that it doesn't throw all that far; it's great for wearing to work without choking my co-workers on a cloud of scent. It lasted all day on me and is quite pleasant.

I want to cry! This is such a great scent. I love the sweetness. It smells like a mix of almonds and cream soda. Unfortunately after 10 minutes there's only the faintest trace that it was ever there. :P

If this had any lasting power on me, I have no doubt it would quickly become a new favorite but alas it just wasn't meant to be I guess.

In the bottle: super-super sweet, but a sugary sweetness, not a fruity sweetness. I found Lady Macbeth to be too sweet; this wasn't.

Wet: I can pick out more individual notes, now; I smell cherry, which I logically know is the almond, and honey and cream.

Drydown: The almond smell hung around for a long time, and then it started to smell like my Suave Milk & Honey shampoo, and then...it started smelling plasticky. Unfortunately.

In the imp: Pretty much the same as O, frankly.

On, wet: Same effect as O, honey and nothing else.

30 minutes: Unlike O, this one never really deepens. I like it, but I don't love it.

Dana O'Shee is an extremly light, creamy almond scent and nothing else. This one is hard for me to describe as it virtually dissapears on my skin (as a few other BPAL scents have).

I can smell this in the bottle, and on my skin wet for about 5 seconds and then POOF! It's gone.

There is not dry down scent for me.

This one would be pretty if it actually stayed :P

I still have no clue what happened with this one. In the imp: Sugary sweet, a bit more so than I usually like, but I tried it on anyway. Immediately: Hawaiian pizza. I could smell the ham & pineapple and everything! And no, I hadn't been eating pizza or anything remotely close it what I was smelling. It still confuses me and makes me sad because I was really looking forward to Dana O'Shee. I ended up giving it to a friend who didn't have a pizza reaction with it.

From the Imp:

Almond cookies and a green top-note.

Wet:

Almonds with a bit of floral.

Dry:

Can't get rid of that almond scent... though it does sweeten up.

In closing:

Off for sale or trade this is sooooo not me.

:P

This is actually a quite nice scent. In fact, it's very much the definition of 'quite nice'. Not amazing, not drop dead gorgeous, not offensive. More than just nice. It's quite nice. It smells like sweet marzipan, or playdoh if playdoh was all natural. Sweet but not flowery and not quite fruity. It's not strong at all, even though I put on more than I might usually. I like it. But that's all, I just like it. I don't love it.

Dana O'Shee:

In the bottle: Woah! That almond is strong!

Wet: Er.. on my fingertips there's that strong almond smell, but on my arm, it's as if I'd put water on it!

Drydown: It's come out a little on my arm, but once again it smells like the play-dough we give the kids at church. I think someone scents it with almond oil, because that's the only hint of smell I get from this patch. And I really wanted to like this one, too! Ah, well. You win some, you lose some...

Conclusion: Either sell, or use in the oil burner.

Light, sweet, milk and honey. A bit of a sharp honey scent. Very placating, but not calming, in a "well, perhaps we'll pass you by--this time" sort of way. It softens over time, and becomes ever so slightly almondy. The honey influence is strong, but tempered by the milk. Good for a lighthearted sweet day.

Cherry cupcakes with vanilla frosting - yummy!

I used to think I didn't like foody scents until Beth showed me the error of my ways.

Still, I don't think I'll re-purchase - the whole time I wear this, I do nothing but fantasize about baked goods!

In the bottle: Almonds. Overpowering almondyness.

Wet: Really sweet almond milk (it's used in medieval cooking. I despise it.)

Dry: I smell like...marzipan. Bleah.

Just not the scent for me.

Edited by Shollin