Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

This smells like straight almond extract on me, and nothing else. It's soft, and dries down to a "baby skin" scent, which is very lovely for the days which I feel innocent and feminine. I don't know if I love this scent, but it's nice to keep around and see what happens.

grrrrr The milk has done it again. I didn't really expect anything different though. I'll have to try this again over some carrier oil. Anyway, it starts out really tasty. Sweet and almondy. Then in a couple minutes it goes all weird and plastic on my skin. This happens with most scents that have milk or cream listed as a note. I'll edit this after I try it with a carrier.

Dana O'Shee: sweetened vanilla extract.

On: the alcohol smell gets stronger, but softens again very quickly. A bit of a plastic smell.

Dry: Pure plastic - and stale plastic at that. The same note which ruined Snowblind for me - must be a milk thing. Eventually, I got the faintest whiff of vanilla and grains, as though to tease me with what might have been. If that's what most people get, I can see why this scent is so popular. Unfortunately, this is yet another one ruined by my wonky body chemistry.

Oh how I wanted to smell like marzipan! :P

When I had first began ordering from bpal, this was one that I had gotten from a friend in my very first batch. I was hoping it smelled something like oatmeal and almonds because I love that.

In the vial it smells like almonds, that cherry smell. Then I put it on and it morphs into this weird medicated lotion mixed with cherry chapstick smell. It broke my heart because I really thought this would be wonderful. The same thing happened with Snow White and Alice.

I'm finally shipping it off to a friend tomorrow. Hopefully she'll have better luck with it.

this is a HIGHLY emotional scent for me...

it has the same milk and honey as Alice...and wearing Alice was like trying to remember a dream that keeps sliding away.

THIS brought back the memory 10 fold.

this is the scent of my baby sisters little doll. She had a cute soft baby doll with her name embrodiered in it. it reminded me so much of her and that doll from ou childhood i almost started crying.

This is pure innocence, like that of a baby, or a small child before lifes pain and disappointments scar them.

I WILL HAVE A 10ML of this. I HAVE to. I cant let it go.

Told you it was emotional. My sister died of an overdose in 2000. So it makes me feel a little sad, and connected to memories i had forgotten.

In the bottle: almonds and honey!

It's a mistake to say that it smells like milk, which actually has a faintly sour, rather disagreeable odor. What Shee does smell like is the perfume scent used to make things like conditioners or lotions smell "creamy." I don't know what exactly goes into that, but I suspect a mix of almonds and light vanilla. There's a breath of honey, for that sticky-sweet burr, and just the barest little tendril of green grains and grasses growing over there in the distance.

For all that, this isn't an overwhelming scent. It doesn't have much throw and stays close to the skin, which honey scents tend to do on me. It's very light and very sweet, and not floral in the slightest. It's a foody smell, but one that's mild enough that it doesn't distract.

The waft as it warms is reminiscent of cake or sweet bread. It's quite pleasant, very homey and comforting. An open kitchen on baking day. There's a bare pink hint of something ripely fruity in it, like cherries, which must be the almond extract. Completely inoffensive, with no overtly sexual edge whatsoever.

Because this is so mild and to me asexual I doubt I'll wear it much, but it is an amazing scent, and for those who like sweet/foody/almondy scents, I couldn't recommend better.

In Imp: Sweet plasticy, a tiny bit of almond.

On wet: the almond comes out more and there's a tiny bit of something else I can't identify. Ahh yes.. you know that Nexus Humectres.. or something like that? It smells a bit like that. A sweet hair conditioner..

Mmm, interesting. (:

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Dana O'Shee is a lovely, creamy almond, very much like Lush's Snowcake soap and Smitten hand cream, definitely. It's also a lot like like Alice, without the tea and flowers. See, I can't think of anything original to say. Even "I love this" isn't original.

I really do like it a lot, though. It's perfect for those days when you need a soft, comforting scent that isn't obtrusive, sharp, or heady, and reminds you of those days when you were five and drinking a glass of warm milk. I was thinking that, in the event that I thought this to be too much like Alice, I'd give it to my best friend, who likes almond scents - but I'm keeping mine. She can get her own damn bottle. :P 9/10.

In the imp: Mmm. Marzipan.

Wet: Mmm. Marzipan.

Dry: Mmm. Marzipan with something slightly fruity underneath. It reminds me of one of those traditional Danish wedding cakes that are a marzipan ring filled with candy, fruit, and smaller almond cakes.

If you don't like sweet, foody scents, you'll want to avoid this, but if you like marzipan (and I do!) you won't want to miss this.

I got different impressions of this, compared to everyone else. I did get the creamy milk and sweet honey, but I also got a grainy impression. It reminds me of being home and plucking a stalk of wheat from the ground and nibbling on it as I walk. Very organic, very fresh. Once on, I get a good throw of the creamy milk and a bit of nuttiness. A keeper for sure.

The Lab threw this in as a frimp with my last order.

This smells very almond-y in the imp and dries down to a delicious, almond-cookies-with-milk scent. But alas, it's a very faint cookies-and-milk scent. I put it on only a half-hour ago and can barely smell a thing now. It's a lovely scent but not for me as my skin eats scents and I need something that packs more of a punch.

1 - beautiful, soft, and almost a little bland at the beginning. A definite almondy note underneath the honey.

2 - as this develops, the sweetness remains consistent but the scent lies very close to the skin. Very comforting. Comfort-food ice cream perfume.

3 - Lovely. I don't know that I would buy a bottle of this but I think this would be a wonderful bedtime scent. Very pretty and sweet without being foody or cloying. And it lasts a very long time without any obnoxious opening notes to deal with. Great drydown!

Okay, my first review. EVER. (I don't know perfume-lingo very well, you've been warned)

Dana O'Shee came in my very first imp order. I had picked it especially, I was pretty sure I would like it.

First Sniff (in the imp): it kind of reminds me of a cherry tootsie-roll pop. There is a really sweet note in there that kind of numbs my nostrils a bit.

Wet: still the cherry tootsie smell, but there is a bit of spice in there.

Dry: it's lovely and powdery on me. My mom says I smell like clean baby skin. Depending on when/how I smell it, I alternately get a creamy smell, an toasty almondy smell, or a cherry smell. I'm thinking the spicier smell I was getting earlier was the toasty almond. Some people smell honey in this, I didn't smell that.

I really love this one. I ordered a bigger bottle, for sure. I am not usually one for sweet smells (I love greens and orientals), but this one appeals to me anyway. I wore it on Imbolc and it was a very appropriate scent!

Wet: Sweet almonds.

Dry: Milk and honey definitely coming out. Very sweet and heady, but not cloying.

Final: Tasty and soothing. Very nice. It reminded me of a nice mug of warm, spiced milk.

Oooh, I have a sneeking suspicion that Alice and Lush's Honey I Washed the Kids have been playing in the Naughty Cupboard. And they've obviously decided to name their offspring Dana O'Shee. :P

I am finding it hard to accept that milk notes are not my friends, nor are honey notes. This could be absolutely delicious on someone else - a little dab to complement Lush's Snowcake or a generous lather to give some extra oomph to HIWTK. But, alas, 'tis not for me. I smell a bit like cloyingly sweet old porridge.

:D

Hmm... this smells like the bubble bath I used to have (which, of course smelled like milk and honey). Relaxing, comforting, warm. I like it.

... however, since I'm not really the relaxed, comforting, warm type, I won't be wearing this much outside the house. It's an awesome bedtime scent for me, though.

Jury is still out over whether I'd like more of it - will use up the imp and see.

Sweet almonds and milk on the skin, fading away to a soft milk and clean skin scent, like a freshly bathed baby sleeping. Faint, with little throw, but lovely, soft and comforting.

Scent in bottle: Oatmeal with honey and almond. Yum, but do I want to smell like this?

Scent on me:

Wet -- Almond cookies. Rather overly-sweet almond cookies. *waves hands frantically to make the almond honeyness go away*

Dry -- The almond has backed off a bit, and now it's a pleasant honeyed sweetness.

Conclusion: I think I'll keep the imp around for days when I really need something sweet and warm and comforting; most of the time this is going to be too food-like for me.

In the vial and on my skin - mmm.... this reminds me of an hot steamed almond milk. I drink that to soothe me - this is soothing!

Dry down: This is beautiful. Sweet milk and honey with a drop of almond - gorgeous!

Conclusion: I really like this one because the almond wasn't overpowering on me. I just gave this perfume the note that took it fromwhat might have been a dull milk and honey to a great scent. Good throw, okay wear. Might have to try a bottle.

Love!

Pretty milky almond. Sweet and relaxing. The embodiment of an afternoon in front of window in a big comfy chair, reading my favorite book.

In the imp and on wet, I get benzaldehyde poured over a smidge of my breakfast porridge.

Dry, Dana O'Shee does remind me of Snow White, but it's reminiscent of that strong, blanketing, sugar-sweet opening stage that very nearly had me heading to the sink. It smells a lot like sticking your nose into a container of sugary milk bath powder.

There's almond milk and oatmeal in there, sure, but they're smothered under that fakely sweet blanket.

Edited by Abberlaine Arrol

In the imp - Almonds!

Wet - Still almonds, but not nearly so strong as in the imp.

Dry - It dried really fast, and smells lovely. It's really light, but so nice. Hard to make out specific scents, I think the almond is still there, and milk. It's really fresh, warm, and innocent, reminiscent of baby skin. Very clean, the type of scent that would be ideal for fresh out of the shower. It does last, but not in a strong way - I could still smell it with my wrist held to my nose hours later, but that's all.

I really like this, and would likely get a bottle.

Update April 20 - I love Dana O'Shee. It is handsdown my most frequently worn BPAL so far, and now when I say "would likely get a bottle"? I mean a 10mL. LOVE!

Edited by kayte

Soft milky sweetness, with just a touch of almond. It's not a heavy scent, but really soft, and comforting. It is a barely there, almost 2nd skin type scent.

This isn't my typical choice of perfume, but I must say this would be insanely amazing as a linen spray. It's so cozy and soft, I bet it would just be dreamy in bed. No pun intended. :P

Wow, this was a frimp with my holiday LE order and I'm only now trying it!

It starts off milky and honey-y...then I got a little bit of the plasticy transition state I got with Midway. After about five minutes the plastic goes away, and I'm left with a creamy vanilla sort of scent.

On me, Dana O'Shee is O without the sex. All innocent.

Wow. I admit that I have been less-than-overwhelmed by the awesomeness of BPAL until I got this imp. I am really, really, REALLY impressed by Dana O'Shee, and I see why it has 11 pages of reviews. This is fantastic.

In the bottle I got straight-up almond. I thought it was going to be cloying despite how much I love that almond scent, but Dana O'Shee ends up turning into a familiar and brilliant Johnson's Baby Oil smell, with gentle almond blossom chasing it. There's a slight bit of toastiness, but overall it's a milky, vanilla, natural comfort smell. I suppose the best word here I can think of is "gentle" -- this scent is extremely comforting and delicious. My nose will probably be to my wrist all day and I'm soo contemplating buying a bottle of this. It smells like babies!

And just a little something extra: it's mixing a bit with the Shanghai I put on earlier and it seems to go pleasantly well with the green tea/honeysuckle jive. Milky green tea has a distinctive perfume to it, in fact I'm always saying that it *tastes* like perfume *smells* so maybe that's what I'm experiencing.

And I'm not getting any soapiness from Dana O'Shee either; it is both fluid and consistent in the great way that all well-crafted perfumes are. Amazing. A+++.

Edited by Shollin