Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

This is SO light and pretty!
In the bottle it smells just like honey and once I got it on my skin it smelled just like the oatmeal face masks that we have at The Body Shop :P
I love this - I want it in a 5ml..but I want to do a test to see what happens if I layer more on - because just a single application is so faint that it doesn't last long on my skin.

But when you smell this on your skin - you WILL be able to pick out a light honey scent, some oatmeal bases, and a milky type of texture..it's amazing :D

In the imp: I received imps of Dana O'Shee and O on the same day, and in the imp they smell identical to me. The sweetness worries me since my skin does bad things to sweet notes.

On me: Yup, there's the bad things I was talking about. It's a nice mix of honey and oats for about a minute. (I smell kind of like breakfast food, but I can live with that.) Then the honey goes all weird and overpowers everything else. I end up with a weird overly sweet smell that lingers for hours and won't go away. Usually it's vanilla that does this, but maybe this time it's the honey.

Yum! Dana O'Shee is such a sweet creamy blend that I wanted to slather it all over except I was afraid that the dogs would want to eat me!

Unfortunately, my skin seems to suck up the scent almost immediately, and it was completely gone by the time I got to work, about thirty minutes total.

In the vial: Sweet almond extract and honey.

On me, wet: Still sweet almond extract, but a nice gentle milk is added to the mix and stops it from being too sticky or cloyingly sweet.

On me, dry: Sweet honey milk and a touch of almond, maybe a whiff of coconut. Delectable, fresh and warm and very light.

Verdict: I LOVE THIS TO DEATH. I kept catching whiffs of my wrist and swooning. It's mother's milk, comforting and sweet, and I really can't get enough of it. WILL GET BOTTLE. GRAR.

This is a very light and subtle scent on me. It faded very, very fast and I couldn't smell it by lunch time. Usually I will refresh my BPAL scent after work for the night, but with Dana O'Shee, I couldn't smell it any more and put it on at lunch time and then again before going out at night.

It's pretty, and milky and almondy all the way through, and is a very gentle scent on me.

This is a lovely scent, sweet and creamy. Sadly, creamy scents tend to go a little plasticky on me, and this is no exception. It doesn't lose any of its lovely top notes, but something underneath it morphs, making it smell artificially flavored. Like scent sprayed on an action figure. Sigh.

For me, Dana O'Shee smells primarily of almond. In the bottle it's nothing but almond, like almond extract; on my skin, as it dries down, it gains some creamy fullness to the dominant almond note. I'd been wanting to try this oil ever since I tested Inferno and realized how much I liked its almond note, and Dana O'Shee does not disappoint... although in terms of milk scents, I think I prefer Sudha Segara over this one.

bottle:

light warm musk, slightly cinnamon

wet:

not cinnamon, but almond. A creamy blend with vanilla and almond. I can see why it's compared to snow white!

dry:

stays the same. Very light scent, comforting.

overall:

nice - would be great for a bedtime or comforting scent. I'll be getting more of this!

rating: 8/10

Edited by HennaFairy

I'm going to get a big bottle of this!

After the initial amaretto smell, it turns into something that resembles O, but without the amber. I guess this would still attract the blokes, but more for a cuddle than for some hot sex. This is a really really nice light perfume, I would love to scent some stuff with this, like a massage bar, some lotion, some conditioner. This will be 10ml as opposed to 5.

I wish it had some more staying power.

First on skin: Very nice, very creamy. To me, it smells like light and soft honey cakes, or tea with milk and honey. Something I will definately be trying a whole lot of, I'm sure. :P

Half an hour later: After a while, it settles to a scent reminiscent of sudha segara, with that almost citrussy-ginger. It smells like little honey cupcakes, soft and sweet and delicious.

An hour later: The honey note is very similar to that in Honey Moon; in fact, I wish that I had got a 5mL of this rather than Honey Moon, because it has a more rounded, foody smell to it.

Hours later: The scent is kind of like a girlie version of Dorian - sweet, creamy vanilla with that undertone of white musk in Dorian. It is rather nice indeed - definitely moved into my top favourites. Yummy.

In the imp: Almond extract and vanilla. This is much higher and sweeter than Queen of Sheba, and seems like a thinner version of the lab's sweet almonds.

Wet on the skin: The almond note is still dominant, and my initial impression that this is a lighter, sweeter scent than Queen of Sheba is borne out as it hits my skin. The vanilla I smelled in the imp is not immediately present on my skin. This all almond extract.

Early dry down: After about fifteen minutes, the almonds have toned down and a sweet vanilla-cream scent has begun to mingle with them. This smells like almond pastries to me. Again, comparing to Queen of Sheba, this is a tame scent. The Queen's spices start to come through at this stage and I get saffron's subtle floral and a peppery tang with my sweet almonds, but this scent is simply gentle and sweet. This is almonds in "play-nice" mode, while my beloved Queen is almonds in "I-am-woman-hear-me-roar" mode.

Late dry down: This scent doesn't morph so much as it fades. By an hour and half after application it has very little throw and the individual notes have blended to form a subtle sweet base scent for my skin when I snuffle my wrists. The sweetness is mainly almond, and the undertones are all cream.

Conclusion: This is a pretty blend, and certainly smells nice, but it doesn't wow me. It is, in fact, just a tad dull. I don't think I'd wear this on its own except at times when I'm particularly sensitive to smells (the first day of a cold when my throat is raw or when my allergies are kicking up), but it might make a nice layering blend to sweeten up particularly spicy or musky oils.

I got this imp as a freebie with something else I ordered and OMG= LOVE!

I opened the vial and was whacked in the nose with the childhood memory of Elk Candy Co. (http://www.elkcandy.com/pages/510253/index.html)

at Christmas time.

I was so excited that I put this in the crooks of my arms , even though I was wearing my originally purchased scent on my wrists.

Honey scent came up after it dried down a bit, making me really happy that I bought a Lush Mange Too bar last week.

One hour later, sweet nutty oatmeal.

Makes me want to get a cinnamon single note so I can smell like cookies.

This may be my next full size bottle purchase!

I really liked Dana O' Shea when I put it on, it's a light almond milk scent- I can see the oatmeal references too (in a good way). Unfortunately, my evil skin chemistry turned this to plastic after awhile... ....sigh...

i wouldn't typically have went for this scent, but my Enabler had it in her "swap" pile, so I tested it... and I was pleasantly surprised! Almond is mostly all I smelled... a sweet almond. I put it on, and it was sweet almond...

Unfortunately, after it was there a while the sweetness disappearred, and I was left with a dry smell... not a BAD smell, but I really missed that sweet part!

This is imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Circular Swap.

Dana O'Shee is the magical morphing scent.

In the bottle: vanilla.

Wet: vanilla and honey with a touch of almonds and something else.

Drying: Dreaded plastic diapers. Ack! Changes AGAIN. Goes to baby powder. Much later, this is almond-y, then changes completely within 30 minutes to -- no? yes! -- Snow White's younger sister. It's Snow White without the pungent lily musk!

If I can hang with the morphing, this might be a scent for me, but only once I've run through the hoarded Snow White.

Dana O’Shee - Wow. I don't understand how Dana O'Shee can have so many fans. It is sickeningly sweet, and smells nothing like real almond, but has that atrocious artifical almond scent found in cheap almond pastes and amaretto liqueurs. It lasted on my skin a good long while, had a moderate level of throw, but the scent was nauseatingly cloying. Off to the swap pile it went and is thankfully long gone from my life now.

since we have the same first name, i was hoping to at least enjoy this scent a little bit...

but, nope. the nosegods decree that there shall be only one Dana in this house... and i'm bigger, so i win, and the imp can go live in the swapbox until it get adopted.

all i get is artificial vanilla, fake almonds, fresh plastic and dry cleaning chemicals doing a wierd konga on my skin & they all take turns being up front.

thankfully, there's not much throw and i only used a teeny little bit.

In the Bottle: Mmmmm, creamy honey! Very delicate.

On Application: Wow, this is making my mouth water. It almost smells like marzipan to me; like almonds. Honeyed almonds. Very sweet, but not sickly sweet.

On Drydown: This is a very delicate scent. "Crisp" smelling honey, smoothed out by cream. I still catch a faint bit of almond, maybe it's from the grain. It's very, very nice.

Comments: This is honey scent #2 that has NOT turned to powder. I might be one of the lucky ones that can wear honey. I'm not sure I'll order a bottle, because I think I like O better, but I'll definitely hang on to the imp.

Verdict: Keep the imp.

In the imp - Open up a jar of maraschino cherries and take a deep breath

Wet - Same - strong, sweet, sugary bright red cherries.

Dry - Still cherry, syrupy sweet. In a way similar to Alice (must be the milk & honey) but not nearly as pleasant or balanced, and without the spice of Alice.

I really wanted this one to work for me! I got introduced to BPAL from Lush, and had heard that this smells like Lush's seasonal soap Snowcake (marzipan/almonds). Unfortuantely, if there is almond in here, my nose picks it up as cherry. A very bright cherry, but not what I was hoping for!

Edited almost a year later :P

I got a frimp of this from the lab and wanted to give it another shot. I'm glad I did! At first, in the vial and while wet, it was the same jar of maraschino cherries. Of course, I found out recently that the red marachino cherries are flavored with almond extract so it makes sense why I picked up maraschino cherries from the almond in this! Now dry, it's sweet and creamy with a touch of light graininess (is that a word?) underneath. I like this a lot - much more than it worked on me the last time I tried it!

Edited by copyshopclerk

In the bottle this one is definitly all almonds which is slightly overwhelming but the second it hits my skin it mellows out. At first it reminds me of shea butter so much so that I'm suprised no one else gets that. As it dries down I do get the oatmeal, milk, honey, and almond smell from it. It's really very beautiful and I've decided that my skin and milk scentswork together amazingly well. I love this but not as much as Sudha Sugara still it's a keeper.

In the imp, this is a blast of honey and then milky-oats. On second thought, this reminds me heavily of grits ala Mom. She'd boil grits and then stir in lots of cream, butter, and honey before servinve... this is homemade creamy honeyed grits. Once on my skin, it becomes a superbly sweet watered down honey blend, lots of sweet smoothness. Almost heady enough to get you drunk from the smell of it alone. As it dries, the milky tones come back and blend into a cream and honey mixture that may sound nice but wasn't actually... not on my skin... not on a warm day. Sticky and overly sweet, this had the after effect of laying in tar on my sense. Luckily, it also only lived about 25 minutes on my arms... I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not yet but I don't think I'll try it again.

Snow White. Exactly, exactly the same as Snow White. I compared with one on each of my wrists and yep--it smells exactly the same on me.

I hate almonds. I'm almost at the point where I can't get past the sniffing stage if the almond note is strong. But that's the stage where it usually smells the worst to me anyway, so I'm glad I tried Dana O'Shee.

This is a beautiful vanilla cake scent, without being to cloyingly foody. And I completely agree with everyone who compared her to Snow White. Snow White is one of my top 5, and I squeed when I realized I had the perfect GC blend for making into lotions and hair products that I could layer with it.

In fact without Snow White's musk, Dana O'Shee is a perfect everyday, every occasion scent. Love!!! :P

Edited by Inanna9

This immediately reminds me of Dragon’s Milk… it’s got that same pink sugary candy scent that you find in WalMart soap dispensers. Which isn’t bad… I like that scent! Very much a creamy sweet note full of fun and playfulness. I’ll probably be ordering either a small bottle of this or Dragon’s Milk.. perhaps this one over Dragon’s Milk though as this one seems to be slightly creamier and more “me” if that makes any sense.