Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

Count me in as one of those folks who can't believe they haven't reviewed this yet. This, on me, is straight up sweet Almond Milk with a hint of green spiceyness. This is the only honey scent I can wear. Comforting, soft and happy, it is fantastic to wear on a cold day. It envelopes you with warmth. There is a tiny something in it that keeps it a breath away from being foody. Perfect and one of my favorites!

In bottle: Sweet, almondy. Really almondy.

Wet: Wow – it’s like amaretto liquor. Really, really strong almond scent.

Initial drydown: Mostly retains the amaretto scent, but slowly starts to sweeten and mellow a bit – it’s not quite so sharp.

Dry: Very sweet and sugary, rather like marzipan. Not for everyday, but would be really nice on days when I need a bit of comfort, and good for winter when I want to bake.

Overall: Not an everyday scent, but nice for occasions.

I got his because someone had suggested that it reminded them of Lush's Silky Underwear powder. I emphatically didn't notice a similarity, but that could easily be due to skin chemistry differences.

I think Dana O'Shee has finally broken down the last of my resistance to foody scents. It's straight-up milk and honey (with some almond popping up while it first dries down), but it manages not to smell cloying or heavy. Instead, it's very light and subtle, and wears close to the skin.

I don't think I've ever sniffed Lush's Snowcake, but what this reminds me of is Burt's Bees Milk & Honey lotion. Only less heavily sweet. It's really nice -- just the thing to wear when one needs calming down.

I love almond and creamy scents, so I knew this would be love before I ever got it. I was so right. It's creamy, almondy, honey love. :P

Creamy, sweet, light. It's milk and honey like Sudha Segara, but the oatmeal-y-ness (I don't think that's a proper word, but it's fitting here) that's present here makes it a bit more earthy. It's very soft on me. Good comfort on a day when I'm stuck at home and need it.

Dana O'Shee

Honeyed almonds. It's sweet and round, subtly nutty and milky. Almond isn't listed as a note, but grains can, and often do, come off nutty. As it wears, a soft vanilla comes in. This is lovely and light, sweet without being cloying. Honestly, it reminds me of my current morning favorite: Quaker's vanilla, almond and honey multigrain hot cereal. The longer I wear this, the more the stronger the vanilla seems to get, practically quieting any other note.

[3 - Like] This would have been a 4, but it's so faint, and the subtleties fade once the feeling of vanilla sweeps in.

After a disastrous experience with Milk Moon 05, I thought I wasn’t a milk fan. Dana O’Shee convinced me that I was wrong. Oh, and that’s true for honey too.

On the skin, this is all honeyed almond with a dollop of cream. After a bit, there’s a strong sweet vanilla too. As it wears, the honeyed creamy almond is most noticeable. It’s warm, sweet, comforting, and one of my favorite layering scents – especially with Snake Oil and Aureus. There, I was trying to emulate POTL, and I think I was close, but regardless I love the end result. Alone, it’s just as good. Not super sexy or anything. I think it’s a fairly safe scent - I can’t see anyone being offended or annoyed by this. But beyond that, it just smells good. Slightly foody but not overmuch so. It’s a happy, calming scent and one that just makes me feel good.

Yup, I did get a 10 ml and I’m glad that I did.

I had previously decided I didn't like Dana O'Shee because it smelled like marischino cherries. But I wore it to English class and it smelled pretty good, like toasted almonds. Once the cherry settled down, it was really nice. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Edited by AmandaKay

Light, pale honey and oats, milk in the bottle, lighter than White Rabbit. A transient sort of scent, though it lasts a while, because it's faint, warm milk with oats and honey when on me as well.

i received an imp with a forum purchase, so i think this might be a bit aged.

imp: almonds. this smells like the liquid almond stuff we (= in germany) use in bakery.

wet on skin: when i dabbed it on, it smelled like almonds, then i get marzipan. yummy! :P

drydown: still marzipan, marzipan is made from almonds, so this fits the bill.

the scent isn´t overly complex, but very comforting & nice. though it´s foody, it doesn´t make me hungry which is always a good thing :D

i would classify it as girly & cozy.

result: i can see myself wearing this when i want something comforting, especially in cold weather.

imp: honey and milk in cream of wheat.

wet: honey and milk! this reminds me of a really nice soap i used to use that was, you guessed it, milk and honey. so it smells very clean to me.

dry: this fades too quickly! it is a wonderfully yummy scent that has a nice crisp feel to it.

If there's a sweet note to be found, my skin is guaranteed to find it and amp it like nobody's business. Interestingly enough, Dana O'Shee didn't go all sickly sweet on me. Instead, it stayed beautifully soft and gentle.

In the imp this smells exactly like Almond Extract. I was hoping for the milk and honey, nice sweet scent..but I got marzipan and bug spray instead.

Oh yum!!!!!!!!!!! :P Sweet condensed milk and marzipan heaven! This is top ten quality delicious, for sure! So sweet - but not sickly so, so soft, and scrumptious. Only caveat - it's a bit hard to smell after a while....It's like, I catch it wafting up to my nose every once in a while when wearing it, but if I put my nose to my wrist and inhale, I can barely detect it at all. That's fine with me, though, because I'm not the type to try to permeate the entire room with my scent. This is one that will have them trying to lean in close to catch a better smell, and have em turning their heads when you walk by to try to figure out where that divine perfume is coming from. I NEED a big bottle of this RIGHT NOW!!! On a one to five scale, this is a ten! :D

in the vial: oatmeal cookies smothered with honey!

wet on skin: strong almond essence.

dry on skin: it's still predominantly almond, but milder, sweeter and creamier now. It's icky!

After a couple of hours I noticed a rather pleasant, sweet and creamy smell wafting up from my arm. It's a nicer version of the way it smelled at first! It's not worth waiting for the icky stage to pass, though, so I've given it to my daughter.

This is one of my first reviews, but I couldn't NOT review Dana O'Shee. Interestingly enough, I wasn't sure this was going to work for me, but so many people have raved about it I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did! At the rate I'm using up my current imp, I'll need to order a big bottle SOON for sure!

I definitely get the honey and almond smells, and one reviewer was right in saying it was reminiscent of oatmeal cookies. It's sweet, but not too sweet. It also has amazing throw and lasting power on me... I can still smell it on my wrist at the end of the day; I get a good 10 hours of wear out of it. It's WONDERFUL over villianess's smashing whipped too, yum!

edited because I can't spell!

Edited by EtherealJane

milk, honey, sweet grain and lots of almond. so lovely. it stays true on my skin and lasts well but its not very strong, i have to slather this one. It smells exactly like a milk and honey hand cream I got from a mom and pop apiary in ohio while visiting my best friend. its a lovely sweet and comforting smell that i can see wearing all the time. Definitely jumped into my top ten and not just because of the association.

Bottle: Oatmeal, milk and honey

Wet: This is a very comforting scent, I used to have a shampoo in this scent from another etailer, but BPAL does it much better! Great to wear on a stressful day!

Drydown: I can smell all three of the major scents, the oatmeal is a very grainy, and the milk and honey give a homey touch to the scent. Love it!

3.5 outta 5

In the Imp (wet): I have heard a lot about this scent and must admit my expectations are high. So I was not greatly impressed when the first whiff was that of chilled almond jelly: sweet and nutty.

On facial cotton (dry): On the cotton, the scent becomes more promising and the scent is that of a light gold honey and a cream. It is light and sweet, though not coyingly so.

On me: It has developed much better than expected, but becomes powdery on the drydown. Which is disappointing.

In the imp: Marzipan! Wet sticky marzipan. But no almond listed, so that's weird.....

Wet: Amaretto and honey for me, although the SO says it smells like orange swizzle sticks to him. No idea where he's getting that!!

Dry: Now it's honeyed milky goodness, with a ghost of almond and vanilla. I love it. I think I love all the milky almondy smells!

Dana O' Shee is a beautiful, magical fae fragrance. It is the right amount of sweet and creamy and it has just enough of a soft almond and grain background to it to prevent the milk and honey from becoming too cloying. I really cannot express how simple and beautiful this fragrance is.

I could barely smell this in the imp. I put it on after washing off Aglaea (which, I swear, turned to rotten pears on me) and it took a few moments to warm up. Normally oils go on too strong and then tone down, but for me it was the opposite. It's such a light scent that I wasn't sure if I put any on. The oil is thin and clear, which, in my limited experience, is a rarity.

However, once I got the stuff on my skin and it started to work with my skin chemistry... sugar cookies. I swear to god, I smelled like sugar cookie dough all day. Understand, I am a solid sandalwood devotee. Normally I hate sweet, foody scents, but this one was amazing. I'll definitely be using this imp and might even go for a bottle!

In the bottle: Reminds me of those oatmeal cookies, but these are with a dab of honey. Lovely.

On my skin: I'm lucky - I have the type of skin that keeps all the scents of the perfume in the bottle, but sometimes amps a few. On my skin, it still smells like honey-dabbed oatmeal cookies, except the honey is stronger and shines through more. Maybe now they're honey-dipped cookies. It's a very warm, comforting scent; I can see myself wearing this on a bad day or when I'm having trouble sleeping.

After a few hours: The bad thing about my skin is that scents rarely last very long on me. My skin loves them so much, it eats them! I applied Dana O'Shee about 4 or 5 hours ago, and I can just barely smell it when I put my nose to my skin.

That said, I do love this scent very much, which is why I have a 5ml vial of it. ♥

Edited by Anarane

This is lovely. Not too terribly foody, but definitely a comforting scent.

This matches beautifully with the Oatmeal Milk & Honey scent so popular with other etailers.

Unfortunately, on me, Dana O'Shee on its own fades rather quickly, making layering with body gloss or conditioner a necessity.