Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TygherRayn

The smell of night

It's been discontinued for over a year, but if you can find some Chiroptera somewhere, that was a lovely night scent. I think Neo-Tokyo smells kind of like a damp summer night, too.

Ultraviolet! It definitely has no "warm" qualities whatsoever. The mint cools it down especially, and the violet gives it a "night" vibe.

For some reason I'm picturing that mixed with one of the dirt smells being like a cold night in a graveyard (which that idea may've already been done; I just don't have all the BPALs memorized). Maybe layered with Burial?

Darbla

Szepasszony which to my nose was grapefruit and light florals, decidedly crisp.

I second the Szepasszony....crisp but aqautic also. Not quite enough bite in the drydown for Autumn, but close.

Third.

And now that I think of it Rose Red also gives me a chilly feeling.

Though it might not be as autumnal as you're looking for, you should definitely check out the reviews for Urania (The Heavenly One is the Muse of Astrology and Astronomy, and guides all those who look to the stars for knowledge. [...] Her scent is that of endless, star-clad space: glittering, cool, vast. Moonflower, Moroccan jasmine, benzoin, white musk, iris, moss and a flash of ozone.)

It looks like there have been a lot of winter florals with similar descriptions (Snow White, Queen of Diamonds, Snow Moon, Cold Moon) and winter fruits (Midwinter's Eve, Ice Queen.) I've only smelled a few of these.

I'm looking for the perfect snow scent this season. Snow Bunny is very close and I'm eager to try

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow

Black Ice

Snow-Flake

to see if I can get something chilly without being strictly a holiday confection or bouquet.

To me, Nocnitsa is a very nice, simple forest smell. I just got a free imp of Arachne, and I like her style a little bit more because it's less bug spray and more of a pleasamt walk in the woods. :P

I was looking for "a crisp, cold night" scent last winter. I wanted a "cold" scent that was more piney/woodsy than minty. The best I found was Talvikuu and Snow Moon. Snow Moon especially hit the nail on the head for me. I know I wrote this in my review of Snow Moon, but I grew up in the country and the smell of a winter night--smelling the cold air, the woods behind my house, and the fireplaces/wood furnaces in my "neighborhood" (a.k.a. nearby houses on a rural highway) was just the greatest, homiest smell ever for me. Talvikuu was close, but Snow Moon is everything except the smoke smell. I added just a very tiny bit of Brimstone from a frimp I got a few weeks ago and...:P I got exactly the scent I was looking for.

Can't wait for it to get cold again so I can start wearing it.

So uh...yeah...Snow Moon & Talvikuu would be my recommendations for cold nights. The Carpathian Mountains is in the right direction for a cold smell, but it has a Ben-Gay menthol smell which takes a little while to calm down. I have Cloister Graveyard in the Snow on its way now and an imp of Snow-Flakes and Black Ice from a Yule decant circle and I'm looking forward to see how they measure up.

ETA: I should note--I didn't add the Brimstone directly to the bottle...just to my wrist.

Edited by GirlfriendInAComa

Thank you very much, GirlfriendinaComa. My eyes are peeled for those, and we've made a similar order. I'll be comparing notes with you on those threads :P

I was sitting out on the porch this evening with my dad, and I recognized a mixture of scents that was very calming and evocative... it seemed like something BPAL would have made.

That sweet thick air under the moon light, with a touch of the wooden rocking chairs and the grass. Maybe a touch of sweat and dirt from the day that had dried.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something that smelt like a cold summer night, the isn't floral or overly ozone/ aquatic. It was more of a sweet transparent (almost aquatic) air, and a light dirt/wood earthy scent (since there were crops not too far from us).

I'd love to find that scent too.

As a quick note, if this yearning ever comes to you on a crisp autumn night, there is absolutely no scent better than the fall-air-and-fires-in-the-distance Singing Moon. It is incomparably evocative and lovely.

Off the top of my head, the closest I can think of is Coyote. The description is: The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk. However, to my nose it's a vest dry, sunny scent. It might layer nicely with a more dewey or dark scent. Rosalind might work, but I also find that sunny rather than twilight-y. The Hanging Gardens (in a much smaller quantity than Coyote) could provide a deep, rich earthy/fruity scent. Layering with Yvaine also appeals to my senses but, that's because I have a lavender garden, so that's the scent I associate with twilight.

If you want a single scent, the best choice might be Allison Gross. It's a lunacy from summer last year and it's still pretty common on the Swaps and Sales forum. I had a sniffie of it a while ago and I recall it being a strange sort of sweet-herbal-floral-dry scent. Long Night Moon (also pretty common, I think) smells like a cold, clear lake in a meadow under the full moon. It doesn't have the woodiness, but it definitely evokes the summer months.

As a quick note, if this yearning ever comes to you on a crisp autumn night, there is absolutely no scent better than the fall-air-and-fires-in-the-distance Singing Moon. It is incomparably evocative and lovely.

I agree completely! :P

Other "evening-esque" scents (imo):

Yog-Sothoth - if diamond-bright stars against black velvet skies had a smell, this would be it

Black Moon - lush, water-dappled garden at midnight

Sleepy Moon - typical backyard at dusk, few florals, mostly planty-herbal smells, the day's warmth slowly giving way to evening's coolness

LE-wise, Night Thoughts,

Virahotkantita

and The Gibbous Moon were all very night time like, but the GC scent Zorya is still the perfect starry sky scent to me.

I find that Long Night Moon is the only perfume I've ever tried that smells of night-blooming jasmine, which to me is the exact smell of summer nights.

Yvaine is also a good pictre of a quiet, clear night. Like an airier Zorya.

yes.... Long Night Moon is a glorious clear night scent :P

Sea of Glass would be like being near water all by yourself in the middle of a quit night :D

Bat-Woman......just look at the painting, that's what it smells like!

Actually.....there are a couple from the Salon that could apply here. Silence could work. I've only tried Fox Fires On New Year's Eve briefly, one time, but looking at the art, I would call it a night scent. And possibly Bat.

I love the actual smell of night, personally. And will have to consider this thread before I get more imps....

But I've only tried one scent that made me think of night. It doesn't exactly smell like night, but it reminds me of night.

Nuit

Her perfume is starry and crystalline, a jewel-clad and glittering paean to night: dazzling white musks, white rose and night-blooming jasmine with the soft moss of moonlit meadows, a waft of Egyptian incense, and a gentle breath of moonflower.

You have to like florals, which I didn't ^^'. But it's still very much a night scent, a lot of reviews mention using it as a sleeping scent.

I second Bat and Bat-Woman for tativa's requests - and I think Nuit is a good one too. Moonflower, or really any of the "night blooming" florals, seem to give me that feeling (and they are a floral family that usually works nicely on me, so I like them). Blue Moon 07, Long Night Moon, Pannychis, and Urania (the discontinued Muse :P ) are others in that category - and I am looking forward to seeing what The Witching Hour of the Night is like. Completely different but totally worth a try, Nocnitsa is a very evocative night scent to me, but a darker and scarier night, not in a lovely garden but in the woods.

Samhain really reminds me of autumn nights on the verge of winter, although it may be that I associate it with that time of year as well - it was late October, early November of 2004 the first time I ever tried it. Maybe it is that hint of smoke in the air that makes it do that for me as well.

Frost Moon is probably my ultimate icy-cold winter night scent. To this day I am surprised at how much I like it - I usually do not like very much in the minty, aquatic, eucalyptus, or otherwise "cold" families, but Frost Moon is just different. I have only a little bit left, but that's OK w/me. It has a lot of throw and as much as I love it, it isn't something that I am in the mood to actually wear that often. Nuclear Winter reminds me of it a bit (although it doesn't have the hint of floral), it's probably easier to find these days if you haven't tried Frost Moon.