Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TygherRayn

The smell of night

I've been looking myself, but I'd love to have input from some of the more experienced testers .. or even Beth herself! :P

What I'm looking for is a scent that's crisp and cold, like a starry night that chills your fingers and your nose. Like ... October nights when you go out late late late to watch the meteor showers. I want that scent. What is it?

to me thats Envy! The mint even gives it a cold sensation on the skin.

Also (but not tested yet):

Ultraviolet

Cathode

If you can get it, Rose Red smells cold.

I second Envy, though that's more 'breeze in the shade on the porch' than 'October night.'

Cathode, to me, was a really refreshing minty sensation. But I don't know if it's that crisp late October night when you're outside and filled with autumn chill...

I haven't found anything that involks that to me, yet. Then again, I've got probably 20 imps that I haven't tried yet sitting on my nightstand!!! :P

What I'm looking for is a scent that's crisp and cold, like a starry night that chills your fingers and your nose.  Like ... October nights when you go out late late late to watch the meteor showers.  I want that scent. What is it?

I don't know what it is, but it sounds great!

The closest thing I can think of is Ultraviolet (violet, eucalyptus, maybe some mint - I forget). In general, many scents containing violet have a wide-open, indigo night sky feel to me. Faustus also has this feel - the violet and the frankincense give it a tall, wide, dark feel. The cinnamon is not too pronounced and so doesn't warm it up too much.

Nephilim is the only imp I can think of but you've already tried it and disqualified it I imagine :P

I agree with Cathode, it is very cool and gorgeous.

Pain is mint and lavender and also incredibly cool and refreshing.

Szepasszony which to my nose was grapefruit and light florals, decidedly crisp.

Szepasszony which to my nose was grapefruit and light florals, decidedly crisp.

I second the Szepasszony....crisp but aqautic also. Not quite enough bite in the drydown for Autumn, but close. Did you order Blue Moon? Perhaps it will be crisp....it sounds really different with unique notes......who knows how it will end up smelling?

I'm picturing something dry, with a lingering campfire smoke kind of undernote. Maybe The Hesperides (wood and apples) mixed with something smokey? I've only tried a few of the scents, so I really don't even know why I responded to this thread. :P And now I'm babbling. If you come up with something, please let us know because it sounds like it would be wonderful.

A scent with vetivier is good for the dreary days of January, makes me think of all the plants which are hybernating under the earth's surface resting and waiting to spring forth. Lex Taleonis and Saturnalia are in that category. I also like them for the oriental quality of vetivier, and winter is the time to wear them.

I second (or third or whatever) Ultraviolet. It's the chilliest BPAL scent I've tried yet. :P

Cathode was like Ultraviolet but warmer on me, so I don't know if it would be chilly enough for you.

Ultraviolet! It definitely has no "warm" qualities whatsoever. The mint cools it down especially, and the violet gives it a "night" vibe.

I love scents that smell like nighttime, night air, or a starry sky.

I have found Nights Pavilion, Midnight, Nocnitsa...

Are there any other scents reminiscent of night air, even if the name/description doesn't suggest it?

Thanks!

And also Buck Moon, which has that added musk to it to make it a sexy night air scent.

Try Urania as well-it's a scent that makes me think of stargazing by the sea, thanks to the ozone.

Moonrose. My garden at night in the summer...it is really the only thing that I like about summer...too much sun, ya know?

Edited by lookingglass

MIDNIGHT, MOONROSE, EVENING STAR, and ZORYA.

These scents has similar feeling of quiet, delicate and gorgeous nighttime-blooming flower to me.

Also HOUSE OF NIGHT and THE HANGING GARDEN are beautiful night time fragrance.

Moreover;

VEIL - Nighttime pajama which makes me calm and comfortable.

DARKNESS - Secret whisper...take me to the dreamland.

INCANTATION - Night air from the deep magical forest.

THE STAR - beautiful like a shooting star.

Enjoy! :P

Edited by laputa

All the suggestions so far have been great, but I'd like to add Utrennyaya. I just tried it for the first time the other day and was struck with how much it smelled like a cold, starry night.

MOON ROSE, yes! Soft chill flowers.

Sea of Glass is like a lilac tree out your window at the beach house with the window open. Then again, I used to stay at my grandparent's house and could always smell the beautiful lilac at night.